• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So how do you prevent horizontal scrolling in vertical sublevels? I see people doing it in their own levels and in story mode but whenever I test it, I always see beyond walls I've created.

Is it just something that doesn't work in edit/test or am I bring stupid?

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I like the slide to the end there. this has a lot of variety and places to go. it can be a bit busy at times but not a bad first level.

After 1000 tries I did it! I find it funny the sun is inside bowsers belly too.
Nice. Yeah, there's a lot going on in Bowser's gut we don't quite understand.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through a stage creation I get the idea to make a small coin collecting light puzzle room, this one room then took as much time to fullproof as the rest of the stage thus far, I should stick to platforming.

I wanted to do something along the lines of Sonic level design, with multiple "levels" that take varying skill to reach and stay upon. It's short, and not particularly difficult (especially compared to the torture devices posted here) but there's a pink coin placement I'm particularly fond of.
amSqhx4.jpg
Slopes? Springs? split paths? yep that's a Sonic in my Mario alright, I dug it.
Rr5AA9K.jpg

Was inspired by some story mode levels and a Yamamura video of all things, so I put together a spooky course featuring an abandoned airship. This game is dissolving my weekend haha.

WxUw5iz.jpg
That mood setting intro, this stage really made me see the value of custom autoscroll, i toyed a lot with autoscroll in MM1 but haven't even glanced at the improvements 2 has made yet.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So I've uploaded my first Mario Maker 2-level.

Seesaw Woods
1R2-6XT-52G

It's a short and sweet level with one checkpoint in the style of Super Mario World. One thing you should know about me is that I like to make Mario-levels that could've been made by Nintendo themselves, as in, not really any big gimmicks or autoplay levels. Just straight up platforming action.

It's not too difficult, veteran players won't have that much trouble with it, but it can be a bit tricky in places. Oh, and collect the three big coins for a bit of an extra challenge!

If anyone wants to check it out, that would be hella cool. Thanks in advance!

utWfjMR.jpg
Fun level! One small complaint is that the checkpoint flag section is timed wrong for speed runs. When you die and start from the checkpoint the seesaw timing doesn't allow you to start immediately you have to wait a few seconds.

I'm not sure what you have hidden around in the level but it makes me want to explore it! Very nice!

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
My first two uploads. Would appreciate any feedback!
9Y7-B7L-B0G
5H3-9VL-LVF

I have 0 plays so far. Kind of odd. In the original I'd get a couple randoms at least per level within the first day or so. Just high volume of content on Switch vs. Wii U or what?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hey, thanks for the reply and nice comment! Appreciate it.

The mushroom is very much optional. Honestly it's meant more to distract on that last drop-down, with people focusing more on it than the drop.

Saving the mushroom allows you to skip the top-most jump of the next set as you can take a hit on the spikes by just dropping down.

If you do the jump (which I always did as I didn't intend the mushroom to be anything other than a free hit if you worked to get it) it's not much of an issue as there's a backboard you can hit safely. Spring section you won't like but it's really manageable if you take your time and calm it down. Just go slow!

There's one more main section (the grey blocks and springs you saw) and a couple of platforms before the goal.

Affectionately named sections of the course:
  • Long Jump
  • 9-Section
  • The Snake (the hardest part imo)
  • The Springs
I really enjoy hard platform jumping. I'll come back to it and give it another go.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Made a new stage. It's kind of in the traditional Mario style in that I take a particular idea and then iterate on it throughout the level. Let me know what you think!

The Thwomper
Course ID: M6P-ST4-8KF

hSRq9sh.jpg

Last edited:

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Seesaw Woods
1R2-6XT-52G

It's a short and sweet level with one checkpoint in the style of Super Mario World. One thing you should know about me is that I like to make Mario-levels that could've been made by Nintendo themselves, as in, not really any big gimmicks or autoplay levels. Just straight up platforming action.
I like your approach and enjoyed the level. I think I single-handedly drove down the clear rate on it, but I've never been particularly skilled at Mario levels.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Fun level! One small complaint is that the checkpoint flag section is timed wrong for speed runs. When you die and start from the checkpoint the seesaw timing doesn't allow you to start immediately you have to wait a few seconds.

I'm not sure what you have hidden around in the level but it makes me want to explore it! Very nice!

Thanks for playing, and the compliments and advice. See, I'm not a speedrun kind of player myself so I totally didn't think about that. Its not possible to edit courses without uploading a 'new' level right? A good lesson for the next time then.

As for secret stuff, the important part is the three big coins, that I put there as an optional challenge.

I like your approach and enjoyed the level. I think I single-handedly drove down the clear rate on it, but I've never been particularly skilled at Mario levels.

Thank you for playing and glad you enjoyed yourself! No shame in dying a few times in it though, there are a few challenging places in the level.

I'll be sure to go through this thread and try out as much levels from Era-users as possible soon!

Last edited:

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Creating a level is not as intuitive as in mario maker 1

The game pad was a real game changer in this regard

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
Just uploaded my seconds level. It came out rougher than I expected when I was testing it. Took me quite a while to upload it and had to make a few changes along the way. I wanted to make a level that requires precise platforming and has sort of awkward jumps with a lot of speed changes and jumps with different lengths. I'm pretty happy with what I made. There's not that much to figure out, it's mainly just about execution. Expect a lot of blocks on tracks, ice blocks, and ice blocks on tracks.
Unpleasant skies: F3M-KXB-3XG

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Same deal here! I went to bed last night thinking I'd get some attempts on my level, but there's been 0?? That didn't even happen for anything I posted in the first SMM.

If anyone would be willing to try my level, I'd appreciate it.

537-0C8-9RG
Tried it out, gave it a Like. Not a bad course. The idea of a pipe climb is nice, and the level looked fairly good. You require some power-ups, but you allow it to be recovered if you lose it.

I'd say the Goobma in a ? block feels like an early addition that didn't get re-evaluated late in the build, and the Bowser fight seems a little out of the blue.

Other than that, you could do with a bit more consistency. The gimmick of the course changes several times. First it's a possible troll level with the Goomba box, then it's a straight forward climbing stage with Piranha Plants and a Fire Flower. Then you're using Goomba's Shot to walk on Munchers, and then you fight Bowser. That's ideas enough for four whole courses.

For you next course, try to take one thing, and explore it thoroughly. Repeat the same idea in different way with increasing difficulty, and if it has a flagpole, a final time with a flourish to get to the top.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
hey guys, I made a second level!
It is basic platforming, no trolly thing.

If anyone interested : 3LH-SR1-DJF

tell me what your thought if you played! :D

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Created another nice level, simple and no gimmicks. Fair challenge I believe. Can be speed run if you want and good enough for multi coop. Also has 4 red coins for an extra challenge.

2-2 Happy Hills
518-3N4-GMG

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
People questioned SM3DW style before the game came out and I gotta say, the moveset and movement feel alone is making it well worth it.

Easily the best in those two aspects, as far as I'm concerned.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
9Y7-B7L-B0G
5H3-9VL-LVF

I have 0 plays so far. Kind of odd. In the original I'd get a couple randoms at least per level within the first day or so. Just high volume of content on Switch vs. Wii U or what?

1st one Nice jumping here gets pretty intense toward the end. Ilike straight forard and with a theme.

for the second one. The escape from the icicles was neat. but the gotcha at the end made me mad ol. I like the design here though. Decending through the cave was fun.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
9Y7-B7L-B0G
5H3-9VL-LVF

It seems like someone has to actually clear your stage before it shows up in the random queue so it pays to advertise. I got the first clear on both. Both were decent but I felt like the enemy placement in the second stage occasionally felt a little haphazard. The coin in the pit of spinies would sometimes spawn differently and in sometimes made the coin way to difficult to get.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Would love it if I could get some feedback. I think my first level was trash. Seeing if this is any better.

Nighttime Light-show
Collect the coins, switch-play, and beware the Cheep-Cheeps.
Short-and-Sweet

YTQ-32B-YPF

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'm not a great speedrunner, but I made a course that I did a speed test on before uploading as it contains blinking blocks and I wanted to make sure that the right ones were active when you came running.

So, anyone want to see if they can steal the world record for mine?

Fast Paws in the Sky
MS0-R82-8FF

World Record: 00'24"417
Clear Check time: 00'22"403

I think 0'21"XXX could be possible, but I can't do it. I can't tell if getting the Bell from the tree at the start is an advantage or not. I think Cat Mario accelerates faster, but I'm not sure.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Would love it if I could get some feedback. I think my first level was trash. Seeing if this is any better.

Nighttime Light-show
Collect the coins, switch-play, and beware the Cheep-Cheeps.
Short-and-Sweet

YTQ-32B-YPF
Everythign being slippery is quite tricky. Th use of the switches was cool in that you didnt need to use them but could to chnage how to approach each coin. not bad.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
It seems like someone has to actually clear your stage before it shows up in the random queue so it pays to advertise. I got the first clear on both. Both were decent but I felt like the enemy placement in the second stage occasionally felt a little haphazard. The coin in the pit of spinies would sometimes spawn differently and in sometimes made the coin way to difficult to get.
Thanks for playing. That coin was actually the last one I added. I thought it was too hard and almost removed it, but then realized I could slide into the pit and kill the spinies. I probably could have done better to seed that concept elsewhere.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Super Mario Bros. 3 - World 1-1+ Edition!
Course ID: 15C-CVY-Q3G

wyT6r6J.jpg

Starts out familiar, then by the end you're like hmm it's been a few years... but I don't think I remember 1-1 having this bit. *suspicious face*

Oct 27, 2017
This my attempt at a fun airship level. My favorite thing in NSMB is collecting the three gold coins in each level. I wanted to see that in SMW , which is my favorite style. Hope you all enjoy. Feedback would be welcome !

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My first ever level! (I had Mario Maker on Wii U but I don't think I even uploaded one)

7G8-VHV-KMF

Warning it stinks

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I like the slide to the end there. this has a lot of variety and places to go. it can be a bit busy at times but not a bad first level.

After 1000 tries I did it! I find it funny the sun is inside bowsers belly too.
W

Took some trial and error to find the right path but it was an enjoyable experience afterwards.

Thanks to both of you! I might adjust it to makes it clearer.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Thanks for playing, and the compliments and advice. See, I'm not a speedrun kind of player myself so I totally didn't think about that. Its not possible to edit courses without uploading a 'new' level right? A good lesson for the next time then.

As for secret stuff, the important part is the three big coins, that I put there as an optional challenge.

Thank you for playing and glad you enjoyed yourself! No shame in dying a few times in it though, there are a few challenging places in the level.

I'll be sure to go through this thread and try out as much levels from Era-users as possible soon!
Yeah I found the warp pipe up there. Clever placement!

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Really short level that just requires a bit of precision

There And Back Again:
30N-HHR-NVF
Maybe I'm missing something or it just requires god like precision but I can't hit the block at the end of the rollercoaster. I assume it contains the key but it feels like it ought to be a tile lower.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I made a short puzzle level, if someone wants to play it.

See-Saw Slopes: TFY-523-TYF

Thanks to anyone who tries it. One of the puzzles is kind of janky, but they can all be done with the items clearly in each room.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition
ID: SF1-30C-R1G
D-Ufs_GUEAAr9bV.jpg:large

Terror tower

I've posted this before, but decided to officially make it my contest submission. A wall jumping challenge course in the Super Mario 3D world style. Can you surpass the Terror tower?

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Man, how can you not use the Stone item from Story Mode in Creator? Hopefully that's in an update...they show a bunch of cool ideas to do with it but you can't actually use it.