• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few of the recent levels in this thread, here are my thoughts!

My first level still has 0 tries :( My friends have not bought the game yet, so for me it is hard to get that first playtrough from someone.

It's a very funny and challenging level based in 3D World. You have to collect the five pink coins and Cat Mario is important here. I think it is well designed.

Wanna give it a try? :)

3G3-585-GCG

Thanks!

Boom Boom is a bit of a blind drop, you really can't see where he is.

Bouncy Snappy Coin Hunt!
PYL-5TN-WKG

My third level. Challenging, but fun I think.

I really did not like the blind drop on the last coin and immediately dropped the level as soon as that happened. If it was intended to be trolly, the level was designed in such a way in that wasn't clear. Sorry for the negative feedback, but it really soured the effort I had put into collecting the first group of coins.

Built my first level that wasn't a copy of one of my originals from Mario Maker... tried to build a theme and leveraged one of the new elements in MM2.

It's short and sweet but I am curious what people think... 38D-HJ4-MQG.

Also, I think I will officially take a little break from building levels since it can be so time-consuming. I've barely played the game so I am going to check out some of the levels posted here!

I played this! The first jump felt out of place. It's a more challenging jump for some players, but then the rest of the level wasn't as challenging and didn't build on top of it.

First time Mario Maker player here. Just created my first level. Id 1KW-BR9-6SG.

Don't be to harsh with the opinions please.

In the end, I really enjoyed this level. Good challenge, with some great trolling, and doesn't overstay its welcome.
I laughed at going through some of the pipes and being dropped out elsewhere
Only suggestion I would have is the jumps near bullet bills clip the screen so you can't really see where you're going to land so it's all muscle memory.

My most recent level doesn't have any plays so quoting again for visibility.

Flight of the Beetles
7VX-1RV-FVG

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
I spent way too long turning a stupid idea into a level. Haven't played a single level yet, i went straight into build mode. What a game.

D-RN0q0UcAEIubh.jpg:large

Very nice level. I even got my Yoshi and WR! ^-^

Sehr schöne Arbeit, Kollege!

Just made my first level ever and after a full 24 hours I've not had any plays.

I'd love some feedback from Era if anyone felt like giving it a go...

72N 3YR JTG

For your very first level this is quality content. Good job. :)

Just getting a chance, I'm definitely still going to play your level and get back to you with feedback.

The app has so much potential and it's really frustrating that it can't seem to keep up with major releases like this. I'd love a Smash World equivalent for MM2 that you could enter course IDs, watch runs, bookmark courses, etc.

Come ON Nintendo! You wanted us to use our phones, okay, I'm waiting!

Mini rant aside, try my latest map:
Eq9p6ti.jpg

I agree, having no bookmaker replacement at launch of the game sucks. It will come eventually tho, I am sure of it.
You know what does not suck? Your level! I enjoyed it a lot, but let me tell you, I feel there were a lot of blind jumps. After I collected the red coins and the stairs, there was a hidden kaizo block, that killed me. Expect your level to land in Super Expert, because your casual Mario Player wont be able to play it without a couple of deaths.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017

72N 3YR JTG

Its very easy to skip the Snake track in the second room by just jumping while running into the little alcove with the goomba in it. Aside from that, pretty solid if not a tad short.

I don't have a thumbnail preview or anything prepared (just woke up) but my friend and I built a level last night that's intended for Multiplayer VS but if any of you want to try it out here's the Course ID: 7X5-PPR-HRF

The level name is Bullet Bill Panic and as you can imagine, it prominently features Bullet Bills. It took us around 2-3 hours to get it uploaded (making adjustments along the way). Initially, the bullet bill stuff was my friend's idea but then I added onto it by making it more of a Multiplayer VS level. Try it out, you'll at least probably get some good laughs!

Loool, currently standng at 442 plays and only 3 clears... I was not one of those clears...

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

72N 3YR JTG
Going to echo the other poster who asked for another mushroom. It was hard to get through the level because it demanded almost perfection to get through with so much going on. Also the moving platform part can be skipped because of how close it is to the platform, not sure if that was intentional. I would just jump on the platform with the goomba rather than ride the platform.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Oh, I think I vaguely remember playing this level. Interesting to see how your style has changed since then, with the incorporation of different kinds of blocks for aesthetic puporses in your new level. I've actually been trying to imitate this style - mostly unsuccessfully, so far :P

Well, show me your "mostly unsuccessfully" attempts then. Curious to check them out!

Apr 25, 2018
Trying out the levels people are posting on here is really addictive.

I made a new festival themed level but I'm not sure how it is difficulty-wise

K1C-419-MQG

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Pure Platforming
3L3-8SB-RGG

img_20190630_141936v4k63.jpg

First time making a level so just getting used to the tools this morning. Really enjoying it and wanted to put something out to start. Beating

No secrets, nothing fancy, no mechanics. Just precision jumps.

Basic but should provide a little challenge for anyone looking. I'll get more creative with the themes in the next.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I made a classic style Mario 3 level using the desert theme plus a short subworld. The intent was to replicate the feel of an NES-era level so it's pretty straight forward with a few hidden areas and a shortcut if you can find it. Difficulty is moderate.

Choco Desert Trek: 930-KCP-SJG. Hope you enjoy.

alucas92

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my first level! Tried to find the sweet-spot with the theme, difficulty (I wanted it tough but not too tough), and secrets. Any feedback is appreciated!

Sorry Green Friends
CVC-MLR-N7G

Edit: I uploaded the course with a debug item left in, it's fixed now

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Pure Platforming
3L3-8SB-RGG

First time making a level so just getting used to the tools this morning. Really enjoying it and wanted to put something out to start. Beating

Basic but should provide a little challenge for anyone looking. I'll get more creative with the themes in the next.
Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally hate this first jump!!

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I made a classic style Mario 3 level using the desert theme plus a short subworld. The intent was to replicate the feel of an NES-era level so it's pretty straight forward with a few hidden areas and a shortcut if you can find it. Difficulty is moderate.

Choco Desert Trek: 930-KCP-SJG. Hope you enjoy.
Solid level. Difficulty was spot on I think. Personally not a fan of underwater areas, but I enjoyed the one here. Good work my friend.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got 100% on story mode after finishing all levels. Overall it was a blast, and it also gave me a lot of ideas for future levels. Definitely one of my favorite things about Mario Maker 2 so far.

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just trying some shameless self-promotion :D My first level ever is called Saw Factory, and it is a coop/multiplayer - only level on the Super Mario World theme. The main gimmicks are the use of saws (obviously), flames and on/off switches (the coop part).

If you have any friend or family member nearby to try the level with you, feedback would be much appreciated! Since it is my first level (I didn't play MM1), I know the level design is far from good, though.

F7F - 5XS - WGF

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks neat from the video, I'll give it a try!

My first two levels are still getting activity but for some reason my third still hasn't gotten a play yet.

Please let me know what you think, when I get back home, I'll give yours a try! :)

I went ahead and played it, it's nice! The secrets like taking care to not hit a koopa shell into the pipe and the goomba waterfall are simple pleasures.
Thanks, I wasn't sure how well the last one is in terms of reachability, I managed myself, but good to know it's doable for others!

I enjoyed the use of standard blocks to create interesting layouts like the house and castle here. I could not my way to that final pipe though.

Edit: Heres the Google docs with all of Reset Era's user created levels if you hadn't found it already.

Terrific, I'll use this when I get back home, very curious about your courses!

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Can someone try my level? I can't get a single hit on my stuff in this new game.

7V2-8HC-8DG
Same deal here! I went to bed last night thinking I'd get some attempts on my level, but there's been 0?? That didn't even happen for anything I posted in the first SMM.

If anyone would be willing to try my level, I'd appreciate it.

537-0C8-9RG

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
CaptainMatilder's sweet sweet tips/tricks lection 1: Bonus rooms and level endings.

Scroll stops are a perfect solution for nice clean looking bonus rooms. Build the bonus rooms around the theme of the level.

My first level has a lot of chain chomps and spikey enemies (dont know the name kek), so I placed them also in my bonus room. The first room forces you to leave the room through the second pipe. So the pipe on the left is more or less a one-way-pipe without adding any one-way doors or anything.

25b50d85e4018e1a9c318e6c8b5ebf2f.png

The second bonus room is a litte big more difficult. It is advised not to jump over the chain chomp. You have to follow them to the end of the screen and grab the coin before they can turn around and chase you.

a9f47c461f68347780b76beea5760ee6.png

Make a difficult to reach the top of the flag pole but easy to reach the bottom and also use your level theme. Since there are also spikey-enemies in my level, I used them to make it a little bit more tricky to reach the top of the flag pole. The level ending is also a single screen with a scroll lock to the left.

a5cdcbd9c7365c5a4a46b3a7adf27530.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second level has some ON/OFF Switches and beetles, so both are in my single bonus room. The beetle is walking to the left and you have to kick it twice to the side to claim the coin. I think it's even possible to jump from the cactus directly on the platform with the coin. But I dont worry about these little cheeses. If a player can find an alternate way, more power to them.

8923cbbdb9acf91e795e4eb82ab2bc67.png

I made it difficult again to reach the top of the flag pole, but easy to just finish the level. If you wanna play the level eventually, don't look at the spoiler because it could ruin you an important port of the level.
Since you are BIG MARIO if you jump on the solid blocks aboth they will break apart and you will fall. So just jump on the edge of the plattform and land on the rest of them.

b4b546efaa0f45cf224189831c00e058.png

You don't have to use this format, but it's worth thinking about it. :)

Levels involed:
Carnivorous Caverns - Course ID: 0C2-RYV-5YG
Suntouch Sanctuary - Course ID: 78K-JP3-CYG

Last edited:

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition

D-UKSVsUIAADkc3

The Hardest-Working Mole, Ever!

A Giant Mole has been working overtime.
Will you be able to escape its Giant Mole Hole in time?

ID: 74C JVM G8G

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My first level

KPP-G4B-DRG

Just lots of pipes

I like the idea. The first drop could use something to tell you where to go to avoid just being killed right away but after that the platforming was solid and pipin around was interesting.

Just finished my first level! Tried to find the sweet-spot with the theme, difficulty (I wanted it tough but not too tough), and secrets. Any feedback is appreciated!

Sorry Green Friends
5K2-J60-81H

Ok so... i beat this and then it said a communication error occurred... so Im kind of mad but i like the design of the areas i found some of the platforming too hard for my taste but its cool there seemed to be a lot of places to go.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
How does the weekly points medal work? I had gold earlier, went out for a bit then came back and had more points than before but now only silver...

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hi, would anyone try my first level? No one played it yet since yesterday :/ it would be appreciated.

PRW-5NC-G0H

It is called Sandy Salami Sandwich. thank you! :)

alucas92

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea. The first drop could use something to tell you where to go to avoid just being killed right away but after that the platforming was solid and pipin around was interesting.

Ok so... i beat this and then it said a communication error occurred... so Im kind of mad but i like the design of the areas i found some of the platforming too hard for my taste but its cool there seemed to be a lot of places to go.
Yeah I realized I left a Yoshi egg in a spot where I was debugging, deleted the level so I can re-upload the fixed one. Sorry!

Nov 3, 2017
Submission for ResetEra's Official Level Competition

Level ID: 3JB-NS4-8NG
Title: Buzzy Beetle Bonanza
Description: Keep the flying Buzzy Beetles steady! Try to survive and observe their yearly migration!

dk3jHQs.jpg

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I finally settled on using the Super Mario 3D World style. I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm mixing lots of different things in my first level. I'll probably upload it tomorrow and then share it here.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to dive into this other than playing the first half dozen or so levels in story mode, but just chiming in to say that I'm genuinely surprised at how far behind SMB is on the theme poll. Personally it's my favorite style. /shrug

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Posting my first level again for the morning crowd. It's not an especially kind level, but I did keep it to one screen. Have fun!

Mario helps Bowser deal with an awful case of heartburn.

M4D-4K4-WKG

rOdxjf4.jpg

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Endless Mario, I think I won't bother going over standard difficulty. Everything above that seems to be filled with enemy spam, blind jump mayhem which to me just isn't fun. I've seen so many "Mario" levels in Standard, ones that wouldn't look weird inside a normal mario game. It's amazing.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing more aggravating than dying on a level because the character didn't jump, but you KNOW you hit the jump button. It's not the level's fault, but fuck me it's annoying.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Pure Platforming
3L3-8SB-RGG

I like this level but I can't get past the first spike area past the checkpoint. I don't like the bouncy things as they are too imprecise. Got past it a few times and dropped down to the bottom and wasn't able to get the mushroom behind me so I could save it and then died on the grey block area after that. How much further did you set the goal?

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
So I've uploaded my first Mario Maker 2-level.

Seesaw Woods
1R2-6XT-52G

It's a short and sweet level with one checkpoint in the style of Super Mario World. One thing you should know about me is that I like to make Mario-levels that could've been made by Nintendo themselves, as in, not really any big gimmicks or autoplay levels. Just straight up platforming action.

It's not too difficult, veteran players won't have that much trouble with it, but it can be a bit tricky in places. Oh, and collect the three big coins for a bit of an extra challenge!

If anyone wants to check it out, that would be hella cool. Thanks in advance!

utWfjMR.jpg

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
A few more levels from the thread.

This one isn't as Sonic-y as my last level, but still offers multiple paths to the finish:
Gu4AxL4.jpg

I really liked this level, although I was disappointed to find out that I didn't have to find all red coins to get to the finish. I really liked the verticality of this level and really enjoyed exploring it. I'd love to see something built on top of this where you have to explore the level to find all the coin keys to progress.

Here you go, folks: Alfred Hitchcock's The Shrooms

TW6-8CC-6PF

I love/hate this level, only because of poison mushrooms. Just one note, apparently you can cheese the shrooms:
If you take damage while wearing the shellmet, you can take out other shrooms during the invincibility frames.

My first time making a level and made it a On/Off switch level.

Up in the Sky: T3L-NHM-T1G

I think I would've enjoyed this level more if it hadn't been autoscroll. Not badly designed, but it presented some awkward camera angles because of this.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for playing. Made some adjustments based on that. Might have a play later with more pipe mania but this was fun to just play with

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I love/hate this level, only because of poison mushrooms. Just one note, apparently you can cheese the shrooms:
If you take damage while wearing the shellmet, you can take out other shrooms during the invincibility frames.
Interesting, thank you! I did notice a few ways to eliminate the shrooms (apparently they can be killed as they bounce if you jump on them??), but left those in because I figured they'd let the average player who stumbled upon them feel like a pro/lucky. Didn't know that one though!

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Hi, would anyone try my first level? No one played it yet since yesterday :/ it would be appreciated.

PRW-5NC-G0H

It is called Sandy Salami Sandwich. thank you! :)

I like the slide to the end there. this has a lot of variety and places to go. it can be a bit busy at times but not a bad first level.

Posting my first level again for the morning crowd. It's not an especially kind level, but I did keep it to one screen. Have fun!

Mario helps Bowser deal with an awful case of heartburn.

M4D-4K4-WKG

rOdxjf4.jpg
After 1000 tries I did it! I find it funny the sun is inside bowsers belly too.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I like this level but I can't get past the first spike area past the checkpoint. I don't like the bouncy things as they are too imprecise. Got past it a few times and dropped down to the bottom and wasn't able to get the mushroom behind me so I could save it and then died on the grey block area after that. How much further did you set the goal?
Hey, thanks for the reply and nice comment! Appreciate it.

The mushroom is very much optional. Honestly it's meant more to distract on that last drop-down, with people focusing more on it than the drop.

Saving the mushroom allows you to skip the top-most jump of the next set as you can take a hit on the spikes by just dropping down.

If you do the jump (which I always did as I didn't intend the mushroom to be anything other than a free hit if you worked to get it) it's not much of an issue as there's a backboard you can hit safely. Spring section you won't like but it's really manageable if you take your time and calm it down. Just go slow!

There's one more main section (the grey blocks and springs you saw) and a couple of platforms before the goal.

Affectionately named sections of the course:
  • Long Jump
  • 9-Section
  • The Snake (the hardest part imo)
  • The Springs

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've been making stages since friday night and now I've got 4 uploaded.
And none of them have any plays yet so far. Come on! Resetting the game/system doesn't seem to help much for notifications either.
Is it because I gave them the Multiplayer Versus tag? lol

Anyway, I'll post them here in the hopes that people will check 'm out. These are actually intended for multiplayer versus mode so, aside from the lava drain stage, these stages are relatively simple and quick.
59X-FHF-DRG - Goomba Dumping Grounds
M2R-GYH-KHF - Go Kartracer Go!
CSX-DB9-4DG - Going Down the Lava Drain
YC9-61G-YSG - Cheep Cheep Swarm

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
2 questions:

- Is there a way to add/remove decorative elements (such as the snowmen in the winter theme)?
- Are slopes limited to only regular ground tiles? I wanted to make a slippery ice slope, but with ground tiles you can just walk on it..