• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Either they reused the underwater groundtile for the forest theme groundtile or more likely placing ground beneath the water level automatically swaps the groundtile style. However, that means there will probably no dynamic water settings. Only static.

The reveal trailer already showed us that the water level is dynamic, though we don't know how much control we'll have over it.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Really curious about the new music this time, with so many new themes.

smb_w3-1.png
smas-smb_w3-1.png

And I'm also wondering about the night theme for the original SMB, because it was a bit bland. Maybe they'll add some stars and different shades like the SNES version?
At the very least I could expect them to use grey or blue instead of pitch-black, because the way it is now you can't get the "prop shadow" effect with it.

Has amiibo support/Mystery Mushroom support been dropped? I don't see the amiibo logo next to the age rating and that Big Mario doesn't seem to apply the CRT filter or make the enemies look strange anymore. If it's accessible normally, does that mean the size change has replaced the Mystery Mushroom?
I hope they don't drop it. It would be a great way to keep adding content, and they have all those sprites from the other game. They'd have to do sprites for the amiibo that came after, yes, but it would be a good way to sell the remaining things to switch owners.
But I can imagine that it will be confusing at first now that we are going to have several playable characters.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, I just realised that this game has a Desert Theme but we still don't have Pokey. They were in 3/5 of the games in SMM2 (well, it was a variant in 3D World but i'll still count it) so I don't think it would be too much to ask for them to be added.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I know it'll probably have its own song, but I'd love if the SMB Athletic theme was this

You know, I just realised that this game has a Desert Theme but we still don't have Pokey. They were in 3/5 of the games in SMM2 (well, it was a variant in 3D World but i'll still count it) so I don't think it would be too much to ask for them to be added.
Pokeys also have the SMB2 sprite they can steal for the SMB3 style
Pokey_SMB2.gif

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I don't think we can assume a Sky Theme, the backdrop is the exact same as Airship
D5UfoinXoAAvC_Z.jpg

D5UfreVWkAAn57S.jpg

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the Nintendo life latest vid, was about to post about it until I searched & found this thread.

Meowser 😬 Cue the inevitable -Meowsette

I can't believe I am the first person to use

Meowsette on this forum, I just used the search function.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, Sky Theme means we'll probably get the Athletic songs

And a new Athletic song for the SMB style
Well since the sky was used for bonus areas in SMB, they could make a SMAS reference and use this:

I actually made a level with a bonus area, which played this using SMM's convoluted music maker.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we can assume a Sky Theme, the backdrop is the exact same as Airship
D5UfoinXoAAvC_Z.jpg

D5UfreVWkAAn57S.jpg
But then they would have a lot of new level elements for the Airship Theme.
I would be fine with it, but it would be really unlikely. They properly wanted a Sky Theme with different assets and music (since you properly can't change the music). If you wanted to make a Sky level before, you always had the threatening Airship Theme in the background. That would not fit well with the rainbows ...
Since they sky is just the sky, they just didn't change the background.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I would be fine with it, but it would be really unlikely. They properly wanted a Sky Theme with different assets and music (since you properly can't change the music). If you wanted to make a Sky level before, you always had the threatening Airship Theme in the background. That would not fit well with the rainbows ...
Mario World has its own sky background that seems like they'd use for the Sky theme
smw-bg-sky1.png

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
so does this mean we can mix and match theme elements? because rainbow semi solid platforms are new. what's jon's explanation for this?

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of music, it would be amazing if this had something like my music in Smash. It doesn't have to be 900 tracks but a variety of older tracks would be amazing, there's a bunch of stuff to pull from, like the Galaxy games, or 3D Land.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe this is less than 2 months out and we've only seen a couple minutes of footage. Give me more info, Nintendo!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this is less than 2 months out and we've only seen a couple minutes of footage. Give me more info, Nintendo!
Try telling that to Animal Crossing fans.

Or Fire Emblem fans before E3 2018

Smash Ultimate had to wait 3 months as well before they got any actual footage.

It's not that bad all honestly lol. We'll get a blow out near release.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a good point actually. Amiibo might have a whole new functionality given the potential multiplayer/character choice component.

What I am concerned about is the amiibo logo not showing up at all. Usually in posters the amiibo logo would be next to the age rating and price. Also I CAN see it being sorta confusing, but as long as the sprites follow the NES pattern it shouldn't be too bad.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the SMW airship theme is now in a stormy cloud like in All Stars?

As far as mystery costumes go, they could drop the amiibo compatibility since there are many non-Amiibo costumes and it probably would be harder to support all available amiibo this time due to more third party characters with Amiibo thanks to Smash. Hopefully they won't drop the costumes though, but I've been fearing that since the 3ds game...

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe the SMW airship theme is now in a stormy cloud like in All Stars?

As far as mystery costumes go, they could drop the amiibo compatibility since there are many non-Amiibo costumes and it probably would be harder to support all available amiibo this time due to more third party characters with Amiibo thanks to Smash. Hopefully they won't drop the costumes though, but I've been fearing that since the 3ds game...
If there's really going to be 4 player, you'd need 4 different re-colors of each costume, so I think it'll be either multiplayer or costumes, but not both.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If there's really going to be 4 player, you'd need 4 different re-colors of each costume, so I think it'll be either multiplayer or costumes, but not both.

Or they could just give a random costume to the other players even if the stage creator had a set costume if it clashes with another active costume.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was going through my old level ideas that never happened because they were impossible to make in the original game, and they are all now possible thanks to SMM2. HYPE!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't think costumes are coming back, although that begs the question of what reward doing 100 Mario runs would give, since costumes were the big reward for that mode.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think costumes are coming back, although that begs the question of what reward doing 100 Mario runs would give, since costumes were the big reward for that mode.

With Toadette seemingly being playable, I could see unlockable characters for all modes become a thing, and being added as free DLC over time like the event costumes in SMM1.

They couldn't do anything too crazy but I could see Luigi, various colors of Toad, and Toadette being unlockable in the base-game. Maaaybe Peach and Rosalina too, if they want to lean into giving them each different abilities on top of power-ups, a la SM3DW.

It'd take a lot of work to get them all modelled/sprited but it'd be more fun than just the single theme-use Mystery Mushrooms.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
NOE: You get a free year of Nintendo Online AND a free stylus when purchasing the game
NOA: LOL we never give you anything extra, you'll buy it anyway

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
With Toadette seemingly being playable, I could see unlockable characters for all modes become a thing, and being added as free DLC over time like the event costumes in SMM1.

They couldn't do anything too crazy but I could see Luigi, various colors of Toad, and Toadette being unlockable in the base-game. Maaaybe Peach and Rosalina too, if they want to lean into giving them each different abilities on top of power-ups, a la SM3DW.

It'd take a lot of work to get them all modelled/sprited but it'd be more fun than just the single theme-use Mystery Mushrooms.
100 Mario is supposed to be played tons of times, and having 100+ costumes to unlock from it ensured a new reward every time you played

Unlockable characters wouldn't really provide the same feeling

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
We'll surely get post-launch content too, just like with the first game.
It got Key/Red coins/Checkpoints/etc post launch

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Upon closer look, I actually do think that SMW screenshot is a sky theme. The clouds appear to be the ground tiles, and the rainbows are structured like semi-solid platforms.

They probably changed the SMW airship background to something else and are now using this for the sky theme. SMW has a ton of background styles that can be repurposed for whatever they need.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I doubt that we are getting unique character skills, the main reason being that they went Toadette over Peach. Toadette and Toad are perfect if you want the character to have the same basic abilites

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I doubt that we are getting unique character skills, the main reason being that they went Toadette over Peach. Toadette and Toad are perfect if you want the character to have the same basic abilites
They can give Toadette new abilities, and Toad has had unique abilities before.

I'd actually be surprised if the characters didn't have unique abilities. Luigi will probably slide and flutter jump, Toad runs faster, but can't jump as high and Peachette could have her abilities from NSMBU and be an easier character (and in the NSMBU style she'd turn all acorns into crowns)

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'd actually be surprised if the characters didn't have unique abilities. Luigi will probably slide and flutter jump, Toad runs faster, but can't jump as high and Peachette could have her abilities from NSMBU and be an easier character (and in the NSMBU style she'd turn all acorns into crowns)

Toadette only really got those abilities because of the Super Crown. Base form Toadette only had buffs to swimming and slippery ice. Other than that her performance was the same as Mario, Luigi and Toad.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Toadette only really got those abilities because of the Super Crown. Base form Toadette only had buffs to swimming and slippery ice. Other than that her performance was the same as Mario, Luigi and Toad.
It'd be super disappointing to add Luigi and then add nothing that makes Luigi unique. SMM isn't NSMBU, there's no reason to make every character the same.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017

Good God I hope not, unless you can restrict a level to a specific character. It's hard enough balancing a level to play well as it is, let alone accounting for different jump heights etc.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It'd be super disappointing to add Luigi and then add nothing that makes Luigi unique. SMM isn't NSMBU, there's no reason to make every character the same.

There is if they don't want people replaying stages with multiple characters in order to upload them, which would be necessary if they played differently or forcing people to play with one of those characters rather than Mario when going through their stages. Maybe if everyone always starts with Mario and change though character blocks. That way they could basically treat the characters like power ups.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
There is if they don't want people replaying stages with multiple characters in order to upload them, which would be necessary if they played differently or forcing people to play with one of those characters rather than Mario when going through their stages. Maybe if everyone always starts with Mario and change though character blocks.
I think you'll have to pick a character to be the character for the level, so there will be Luigi Levels and Toad levels, etc. And the box would let you change mid-stage for added flexibility.

Why would there even be character change boxes you could add if the characters were all the same?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Good God I hope not, unless you can restrict a level to a specific character. It's hard enough balancing a level to play well as it is, let alone accounting for different jump heights etc.
If there are characters with different properties, I imagine there will be an option for the creator to restrict the level to specific characters. Likewise, there will probably also be an option to restrict levels to number of players.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I figure the only way multiple characters is even workable in Mario Maker is to restrict it to one character and not let the player of the stage choose.

If the game has multiplayer on stages, I imagine that will also be optional, since jumping on characters heads and picking them up, etc, can break stages.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Can we expect Mario Maker 2 to have some sort of a campaign? Never played the first game.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope, there will be different characters with different abilities.
It is also an easy way to change up levels without creating new assets. Characters spefic for Luigi could be slightly different to Mario. I would also love Nintendo to implement new characters as DLC, which play even more differently. For example include Link as seen in Link Awakening, where he jumped on Goombas and used his sword (especially with the remake around the corner). Or just have different Mario Characters like Wario, Yoshi, Daisy, Waluigi, etc.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, the modern mario sprite & that flyer (the one that had the SMBDX luigi sprite) with 8bit builder mario makes me think costumes are back. Or at least some of them, the mario & mario-adjacent ones.
you could put a smash bros-esque pointer
Can we expect Mario Maker 2 to have some sort of a campaign? Never played the first game.
Both SMM & the 3DS port have "campaigns" made by nintendo but they're all (even the 3ds ones) basically "hey check out what you can do with THIS" so ymmv on how good it is

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The first Mario Maker is a magical game, and I'm sure the sequel will be magical, too. I totally understand not having blind faith in the community's creative output, but I think even the most cynical players will be pleasantly surprised by how exciting and immersive many of the user-made levels can be. It's like a wellspring of neat ideas, and there were plenty of levels in MM1 that had a distinct "voice" where the designer is communicating to you by way of level design. I'd go so far as to say MM1 is my favorite 2D Mario platformer. And the possibilities in MM2 look astonishing.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I dunno, the modern mario sprite & that flyer (the one that had the SMBDX luigi sprite) with 8bit builder mario makes me think costumes are back. Or at least some of them, the mario & mario-adjacent ones.
I look forward to Mercedes Car and BABYMETAL (every reference to them is in caps on Mario wiki?) making their return to the Mario series