• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
So after reading all these impressions, it's basically just a fancy looking level browser? :D

That's what most of us really wanted to begin with, I think. Sure, there are fancy things the actual games use to spice up the world map, but that would only have been a bonus. Creating a "campaign" is what this is all about, even if it just means stringing together levels. Being able to create a context around the levels is what it's all about. Hell, this is going to make me create my first water level, which I wouldn't have done if it was meant to be a standalone level.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Who are your favorite Mario maker youtubers? Been thinking about getting into the scene

I like Aurateur. He's mostly on Twitch though he has uploaded stuff on YouTube.

His fan base is horrible though.

He's actually complaining about what's been discussed above:

I can understand as far as there being a lack of challenge and a lack of reward if you're not penalised for dying.

Last edited:

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the update is great. I thought they would save a world editor for a sequel.

I made a Super World with 4 worlds. The levels are medium-hard (rates of 30% to 3%). Each world uses the theme of one game and has a boss fight and a bonus stage. The worlds aren't strictly constrained to the features of the original games, but i tried to keep them mostly traditional.
Maker-ID: 0N6-TGK-DTG

Having played up to World-2 boss, I have to say your levels are amazing, with a design that recreates the one from Nintendo (one gimmick per level, and a good theme and atmosphere for each one). They are much more difficult than the original, though (that flying Koopa boss with the spikes lol). Congratulations!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
god the new SMW koopaling sprites are so much better the actual SMW sprites

my secret fave thing about the mario maker games is all the new 2D spritework we get

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
They also should add, that Link and SMB2 can be a permanent power-up for a level. Both games even use heart-pieces as health.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Good, I'd say! Lives are an archaic mechanic to begin with.

I disagree here actually. Being able to have a true game over after losing all your lives would mean you can design levels where getting them actually matters. You can add both a risk and reward factor and encourage exploration. As it is its still makes them useless outside of endless mode.

It would be better if they let you set whether its game over back to start on death or if its just checkpointed.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Who are your favorite Mario maker youtubers? Been thinking about getting into the scene
Ryukahr for his utterly calm demeanor and skills. I've stumbled into the scene via his videos. I binged all of his SMM1 "super expert no skip"-series on youtube within weeks. That was before SMM2 was announced.

Recently I also like to watch Carlsagan42, who almost exclusively plays troll levels and appretiertes them greatly.
Some of his videos are super, super interesting. I really like those where he explains his own level creation and cuts in reactions from fellow SMM-players.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
So any chance of paid DLC for this game? Was there any for SMM1?

SMM1 was all free DLC.

I would pay a lot of money for the missing SMB1/3/W enemies and elements, and to be able to use one styles power ups in another.

Also now world maker exists, smw style secret exits and smb3 style world map key doors mapped to completing certain levels would both be cool

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't even been out for a year and it outsold the MM1. Splatoon 2 in three quarters on the market was at 4.91 compared to the 4.94 total on the Wii U

By your standards Splatoon 2's sales were also a disappointment
lol come on. The Switch had 10M units of hardware out by the second quarter Splatoon 2 was out. It released just a few months after the Switch itself released, so of course year one sales for such a title wouldn't be so high after three quarters. By comparison the Switch had over 52M in circulation by SMM2's second quarter.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's controversial to say that in comparison with the general Switch sales trends, SMM2 is indeed a bit of a disappointment. Maybe it's the upper limit of what a level editor can sell.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dang it's a shame they didn't add to the amount of courses you can download. Hopefully something like that is small enough to be considered a "minor update" and they consider adding it in the future. I love uploading stages but I want more stages to download as well.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I'll second the recommendation for Carlsagan42, dude is hysterical in how he can be both insanely clutch and comically blind. While in recent years he's largely done troll and "uno mas" cool tech levels, if you go to his older stuff he's done lots of puzzle levels and kaizo stuff.

I'm also a fan of Juzcook who does a nice balance of challenging Kaizo and hilarious troll levels. Others you might want to check out are DGR (very family friendly), grandpoobear, and ryukar.

And for people who think troll levels are just "enemy spam and kaizo blocks over every pit" you'll be kinda impressed at the level of creativity in modern, good troll levels. Troll level creators are masters of MM2's mechanics and know how to take advantage of things like progressive power ups, screen scroll, and entity limits to completely mess with the player.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I think I'm going to make a pure Super Mario World campaign with this. I can't wait.

Too bad you can only put 4 courses on one world. It feels like adding two more courses would make the maps more interesting. It really makes me feel restricted on the first world I built. I'd love to add small bonus stages like the classic hammer bros from SMB3, for example, but not if they take up one of the world's four only courses.
What's your mario maker ID? I'd be interested in playing them!

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Does it automatically save your progress when playing someone's world, or do you need to start over again each time?

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Ryukahr for his utterly calm demeanor and skills. I've stumbled into the scene via his videos. I binged all of his SMM1 "super expert no skip"-series on youtube within weeks. That was before SMM2 was announced.

Recently I also like to watch Carlsagan42, who almost exclusively plays troll levels and appretiertes them greatly.
Some of his videos are super, super interesting. I really like those where he explains his own level creation and cuts in reactions from fellow SMM-players.

Carl made a lot of puzzle levels before he turning into the troll ones... I would recommend watching those.

He is one of the guys who push the Super Mario Maker community the most, creating even some events in the past for Summer Games Done Quick.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm going to make a pure Super Mario World campaign with this. I can't wait.

Too bad you can only put 4 courses on one world. It feels like adding two more courses would make the maps more interesting. It really makes me feel restricted on the first world I built. I'd love to add small bonus stages like the classic hammer bros from SMB3, for example, but not if they take up one of the world's four only courses.

It is 5 levels per world though

Aug 12, 2019
So, since this is the Final Major Update, do we have a comprehensive list of what is missing from the game at this point? Not trying to take away from such a clearly great update, but I'm just trying to gauge a bit of my disappointment since you know, it is supposed to be the Final Update seemingly.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
The level doesnt have to actually be a castle though. It can be anything. It is still 5 levels per world. What you choose to make them is the creators choice.

I understand that, but I want to maintain a theme. Those levels are always castles in Super Mario games, and they look like castles on the map. When I make a world, I won't make them into anything other than castles.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
So, since this is the Final Major Update, do we have a comprehensive list of what is missing from the game at this point? Not trying to take away from such a clearly great update, but I'm just trying to gauge a bit of my disappointment since you know, it is supposed to be the Final Update seemingly.
the one thing I would have liked (probably controversial) is the ability to edit downloaded courses.
I like how I can edit my courses on the fly to make them easier for my 3 year old. But I'm not very creative so it would be great to have the option to modify existing stuff.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that, but I want to maintain a theme. Those levels are always castles in Super Mario games, and they look like castles on the map. When I make a world, I won't make them into anything other than castles.
They allow you to change to the castle to an airship icon for all worlds except the last one btw.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Also now world maker exists, smw style secret exits and smb3 style world map key doors mapped to completing certain levels would both be cool

I was thinking about this yesterday and I think there might be a good chance of it being added as a minor update afterwards. "Final Major Update" doesn't mean smaller things can't be added in the future; it doesn't seem like it would take a lot of development time and it would be such a game changer for maps. But of course, I may be overly optimistic. :D

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I would like Nintendo to add to world maker would be to let creators add optional challenges to a game. Examples would be:
  • Collect all 100 big coins
  • Collect 80/100 big coins
  • Complete the game with no game overs
  • Complete the game with over 50 lives
  • Complete the game with over 10,000 coins
  • Complete all stages
  • Complete the game in under 1 hour
This would add a a way to make lives, big coins and normal coins have value in a game structure. And since the editor counts thos stuff already it would not be difficult to implement as a total counter.

As mentioned you can make them into airships as long as it isn't the last world. Ideally they would let up to 8 levels in a world with the hard limit still of 40 levels per game.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OMG can we talk about how they added a bunch of new tags! We now have Music, art, technical, shooter, boss battle, single player, and Link tags

This is a megaton tbh, at the least smart creators can flag things as not being multiplayer-suitable now. I swear, if I see a single-player tagged level come up in Nintendo's completely random shuffle... whew.

god the new SMW koopaling sprites are so much better the actual SMW sprites

my secret fave thing about the mario maker games is all the new 2D spritework we get

New SMW Bowser is still an embarrassment though. Could've been way more authentic while still cleaning him up.

Isnt that essentially every modern day Mario Game?

NSMBU still dumps you back to the start/halfway of worlds when you run out of lives. Only 3D Mario seemed to have completely dumped the concept.

Someone posted some big wishlist of stuff pages back that's still missing tons of items, if what you mean as "missing" is absolutely everything from every previous Mario game, you'll never be satisfied.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The World Builder is a let down. Theres nothing you can do with it. No secrets. No dual exit branching paths. No animations. Giant simple tiles. Its better than nothing, but just barely.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This is a megaton tbh, at the least smart creators can flag things as not being multiplayer-suitable now. I swear, if I see a single-player tagged level come up in Nintendo's completely random shuffle... whew.

New SMW Bowser is still an embarrassment though. Could've been way more authentic while still cleaning him up.

NSMBU still dumps you back to the start/halfway of worlds when you run out of lives. Only 3D Mario seemed to have completely dumped the concept.

Someone posted some big wishlist of stuff pages back that's still missing tons of items, if what you mean as "missing" is absolutely everything from every previous Mario game, you'll never be satisfied.

When people talk about stuff missing from Mario Maker they never talk about all the stuff that is totally new to it. Lots of those enemies dont exist in old styles and many of the variants dont even exist in the games they originate from. Mecha Koopa never had a bomb or a laser variant. They never had a giant version or a winged version either. They never had to factor in all the interactions across all 4 game styles and include underwater mechanics.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have more course items and enemies. Just saying that when people say all this stuff is missing, they frame it like all we ever got was that original iteration of each enemy with 0 new things in return. Mario maker has a ton of mechanically new things in it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I watch almost every one of Carl's streams that I can. They're always a treat. I'm a big fan of Grandpoo Bear too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The World Builder is a let down. Theres nothing you can do with it. No secrets. No dual exit branching paths. No animations. Giant simple tiles. Its better than nothing, but just barely.

Honestly, all I've wanted FOREVER was 'playlist' support so creators can bundle together their stages into a game without needing to share each stage seperately.

I'll take what I can get!