• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

Waaat??

Why, that's not even an exploit, they're pretty clearly still there in the lava, it's visually confusing to not allow you to jump on them

The funny thing is during SMM1 the amount of stuff you could jump off in the lava even got expanded. Like it started as mostly Goomba's and Spineys but later on in undocumented patches you could jump off springs in lava and I think other things that you originally couldn't.

So it's like they expanded it, and then took it all away.

Maybe it's some kind of byproduct of the rising lava/water or something?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

There's definitely going to be a lot of fun in the night themes.

Bummer that it seems throwing a shell keeps your physics and doesn't switch back. Would have been cool to mess with.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Maker 2 |OT| There's Not Mushroom For Other Games

I was planning to juggle SMM2 and Bloodstained on Switch originally, but since Bloodstained seems to be a broken mess anyway it's an easy skip until it's fixed

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving this. The story levels showcase perfectly what you can do with the level editor and it is AWESOME. How did I ever miss the first one!!!

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How easy is it to access player created levels? And do I need the online service to play them

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I know I asked this before and I don't want to spam but does anyone know wether or not the promo with the stylus in Europe is still valid? The site doesn't mention it as explicitly anymore but it doesn't state that it is sold out either. And me wants my Mario stylus!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing I don't really care for those "kaizo tricks", but seems like a huge loss for those kind of levels.

People apply things to kaizo too broadly. Small things you would probably never do can have pretty big effects in mechanics and set up mechanisms.

Some of the most creative and insane mind bending mechanics can have a 100% clear rate because of how well it's set up.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
People apply things to kaizo too broadly. Small things you would probably never do can have pretty big effects in mechanics and set up mechanisms.

Some of the most creative and insane mind bending mechanics can have a 100% clear rate because of how well it's set up.
Plus a lot of mechanics can be done off-screen or are completely invisible to the player (like overlapping pipes)

tMMHcUZh.jpg

That center pipe is 5 different pipes that take you to this hub room from 5 different paths.

Oct 25, 2017
Short interview with Tezuka on the Switch news channel.

He implies there will be additions(no surprise) and that the "final form" of the game will be shaped by what goes on in the community aspect of creating/playing levels.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Since we know we can have game specific Fire Flower alts, can we please get an update to add the Hammer Bro Suit in SMB3 and the Ice Flower in NSMBU

And uhh... SMW can have the balloon or something, it doesn't really have a proper Fire Flower alt

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Since we know we can have game specific Fire Flower alts, can we please get an update to add the Hammer Bro Suit in SMB3 and the Ice Flower in NSMBU

And uhh... SMW can have the balloon or something, it doesn't really have a proper Fire Flower alt
They don't even need to make new power-ups alts if they want to, since they changed the object menu to allow for more additions.

The Ice Flower should be in every theme imo.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
They don't even need to make new power-ups alts if they want to, since they changed the object menu to allow for more additions.

The Ice Flower should be in every theme imo.
Yeah, ice flower should have been a no-brainer to include. I guess they don't want to code for the freezing and shattering interactions.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah, ice flower should have been a no-brainer to include. I guess they don't want to code for the freezing and shattering interactions.

I'm not sure how well it would work in smb1 where you can't grab and throw objects. Would probably be best to make it a nsmb unique power up, and embrace more game specific power ups like the hammer bro suit and p balloon.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how well it would work in smb1 where you can't grab and throw objects. Would probably be best to make it a nsmb unique power up, and embrace more game specific power ups like the hammer bro suit and p balloon.
Sure you can't pick them up, but freezing for make shift platforms and instant shell-like objects would still have plenty of utility

And idealyl you'd be able to turn things into Ice versions for certain enemies though considering the Fire Bro is exclusive to 3D World....

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Sure you can't pick them up, but freezing for make shift platforms and instant shell-like objects would still have plenty of utility

And idealyl you'd be able to turn things into Ice versions for certain enemies though considering the Fire Bro is exclusive to 3D World....

But if you freeze an enemy in the wrong spot you might soft lock yourself. I don't recall enemies being able to break out of ice in nsmb.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
But if you freeze an enemy in the wrong spot you might soft lock yourself. I don't recall enemies being able to break out of ice in nsmb.
I am pretty sure they do break out on their own, with larger enemies breaking out near instantly

But also, like any level that can possibly softlock you, the creator should take measures to prevent it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked an answered, but if I use my JP account to buy this digitally will it unlock tomorrow morning? And is it a universal SKU?

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Plus a lot of mechanics can be done off-screen or are completely invisible to the player (like overlapping pipes)

tMMHcUZh.jpg

That center pipe is 5 different pipes that take you to this hub room from 5 different paths.

I feel like we don't need overlapping pipes, we need pipes with more flexibility. I feel like every pipe being 2-way was a heavy-handed method to try to help players avoid troll situations, but it's long-since obsolete. A majority of the pipes in Mario games are 1-way anyway. Heck, you still can't even make the classic Mario 1 pipe L that looks right, to my knowledge.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like we don't need overlapping pipes, we need pipes with more flexibility. I feel like every pipe being 2-way was a heavy-handed method to try to help players avoid troll situations, but it's long-since obsolete. A majority of the pipes in Mario games are 1-way anyway. Heck, you still can't even make the classic Mario 1 pipe L that looks right, to my knowledge.
Without overlapping, pipes look even worse trying to make perpendicular pipes than they did in SMM1 because the bodies of pipes are narrower than the tops, leaving a gap between them and the perpendicular pipe.

Adding an option for 1-way pipes would be nice, but that's only one mechanic that overlapping pipes gives us. My example above is probably the second-most used application, having multiple pipes lead to the same hub pipe. There's no way Nintendo would make an option for that. Workarounds are ugly and take up 5x more space minimum.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Do we know how friends list works? Does it use the system friends list to see levels? Or do we have to add people via the game?