• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirbutashi

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any idea what happens when you take a clear pipe that extends beyond the screen in auto-scrolling stages? Not sure if it kills you or moves the screen.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

Skipsqueaks not triggering things kiiiiiiiiinda bothers me.

GOD DAMMIT no restart at checkpoint and no change in Keydeath. Seriously, what the fuck Nintendo?!

Last edited:

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so ready to be punished by the community's insane levels. I'm not planning on making many courses, but I absolutely love hard levels with SMW physics.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any idea what happens when you take a clear pipe that extends beyond the screen in auto-scrolling stages? Not sure if it kills you or moves the screen.

Just tested on the above video. It bounces you back the other way and if you can't go out either way you die.

It's answered in the video posted literally right after your comment haha

I can not express how much key death and restart at checkpoint bother me. These two things have probably been the most requested and complained about issues since they were patched in to SMM1.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I wonder if the Endless Mario Challenge mode will allow you to skip levels ala MM1's 100-Mario Challenge. I assume so, but it would be great to know 100% for sure.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Something that was said about Endless mode that I heard and I didn't much think of was that you never win endless, you only lose it. This kind of struck me as something very un-Nintendo like. Basically the only end is losing.

It doesn't bother me, but seems like something Nintendo would disagree with fundamentally.

Oct 25, 2017
Something that was said about Endless mode that I heard and I didn't much think of was that you never win endless, you only lose it. This kind of struck me as something very un-Nintendo like. Basically the only end is losing.

It doesn't bother me, but seems like something Nintendo would disagree with fundamentally.

This is true of any sort of arcade-style endless survival mode where the positive reward at the end of it is a new record or a high score. There is even a recent Nintendo precedent in the endless survival mode in Arms (Arms Test) that apparently nobody but me played.

On another note: one thing I haven't seen covered in any of the preview content—understandably so, when everybody's attention is on the new course elements—is the control that creators have over their uploads. We've seen in videos and screenshots that there is a game-wide universal option to enable/disable comments, but can this be done course by course? Can you allow end-of-level comments but not mid-level comments? Can you moderate/delete individual comments in-game (something that used be done via Miiverse) to remove things like untagged spoilers? Can you edit the course description line or tags/categories after a level has already been uploaded (for instance, to provide a level code for an updated version)? These are all things I hope to see answered before I make my first upload.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, keydeath and the skipsqueaks not being able to toggle is a big bummer. Always hoping for updates, but those are the top of my personal list at the moment.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
This is true of any sort of arcade-style endless survival mode where the positive reward at the end of it is a new record or a high score. There is even a recent Nintendo precedent in the endless survival mode in Arms (Arms Test) that apparently nobody but me played.

On another note: one thing I haven't seen covered in any of the preview content—understandably so, when everybody's attention is on the new course elements—is the control that creators have over their uploads. We've seen in videos and screenshots that there is a game-wide universal option to enable/disable comments, but can this be done course by course? Can you allow end-of-level comments but not mid-level comments? Can you moderate/delete individual comments in-game (something that used be done via Miiverse) to remove things like untagged spoilers? Can you edit the course description line or tags/categories after a level has already been uploaded (for instance, to provide a level code for an updated version)? These are all things I hope to see answered before I make my first upload.

I'm not saying it's unheard of or even weird. It just seems to go against Nintendo philosophy. Even in SMM1 there was the princess to save or you got to the end. You won in some way. Not winning at the end of something just seems like a weird decision for Nintendo.

You could barely get me to admit Arms exists.

Dang, keydeath and the skipsqueaks not being able to toggle is a big bummer. Always hoping for updates, but those are the top of my personal list at the moment.

After thinking about it, I'm sure it's the same, but it doesn't actually answer the real question. Saving you having the key was a little less expected. The bigger question is if you get one coin, go through the checkpoint and then get another coin and the key and then die before hitting another checkpoint does it save the one key or start all over. This is the main thing that has never made sense and been a big issue.

Kirbutashi

Oct 25, 2017
It's answered in the video posted literally right after your comment haha
Almost answers the scenario I had in my mind. I don't actually know if Mario can go higher than the screen in vertical scrolling like in the base games, and if he'd bounce inside the pipe or not.

Been mulling over trying to re-create the 3D World finale to get to grips on the new theme, and the stupidly tall clear pipe with Bowser multiplying would be a fun thing to get in there if feasible. Really bummed that the 3D World boss music just loops endlessly on the first segment instead of transitioning to the second phase of the fight, though. :(

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Counting down the minutes like

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
After thinking about it, I'm sure it's the same, but it doesn't actually answer the real question. Saving you having the key was a little less expected. The bigger question is if you get one coin, go through the checkpoint and then get another coin and the key and then die before hitting another checkpoint does it save the one key or start all over. This is the main thing that has never made sense and been a big issue.

This is the real problem, and that kind of level structure (coins, checkpoint, more coins, key door) is actually the reason that "if you've collected the key, just respawn at the checkpoint with the key" is an inelegant solution.

As a player it seems intuitive to me that if you grab four coins, hit the checkpoint, grab another six coins (and therefore the key), and then die, you should respawn with four coins, not zero. The problem is that this conflicts with the upload validation process (clear from every checkpoint), which presumes you are starting from zero—and that's probably why we haven't seen this fixed. (Simply respawning with the key would also create problems because then you can just take an intentional death as you grab the last coin, which breaks certain designs.)

While the video above didn't test this scenario, the fact that all the coins were reset is probably an indication that things still work the way they did in SMM1. We have some established (if imperfect) workarounds like safety coins, at least, but it's one of those things that has always felt clunky for everyone, and the safety coin system only makes sense to players familiar enough with Mario Maker to understand why it's there and why a trivial coin by the door should be saved for last.

[Edit: GameXplain tested this form of key death as well (coin -> checkpoint -> coin) and has confirmed in this Reddit thread that it works like it does in SMM1.]

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This is the real problem, and that kind of level structure (coins, checkpoint, more coins, key door) is actually the reason that "if you've collected the key, just respawn at the checkpoint with the key" is an inelegant solution.

As a player it seems intuitive to me that if you grab four coins, hit the checkpoint, grab another six coins (and therefore the key), and then die, you should respawn with four coins, not zero. The problem is that this conflicts with the upload validation process (clear from every checkpoint), which presumes you are starting from zero—and that's probably why we haven't seen this fixed. (Simply respawning with the key would also create problems because then you can just take an intentional death as you grab the last coin, which breaks certain designs.)

While the video above didn't test this scenario, the fact that all the coins were reset is probably an indication that things still work the way they did in SMM1. We have some established (if imperfect) workarounds like safety coins, at least, but it's one of those things that has always felt clunky for everyone, and the safety coin system only makes sense to players familiar enough with Mario Maker to understand why it's there and why a trivial coin by the door should be saved for last.

It's not the most elegant training tool, but I've seen people who've put the safety coin and key door behind a one way with a spike. That way someone who doesn't understand how the mechanic works won't get soft locked

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How necessary is a stylus for this game? Would I be okay with just my fingers or is the stylus the much better method? I'll be playing in handheld almost exclusively.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

GOD DAMMIT no restart at checkpoint and no change in Keydeath. Seriously, what the fuck Nintendo?!

Goddamn it. I had an entire level planned around Skipsqueaks hitting switches for you and now I cant make it.

Patch this shit in Nintendo.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Question. I've never preordered or preloaded a Switch game. I will be out of town Friday and won't have WiFi access. Can I preorder this now and preload it and it will just unlock on Friday morning?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Skipsqueaks not triggering things is such a bummer, there's still ways to do it but it'll be way more cumbersome and I can't believe that checkpoints and keys are still broken. I hope that Nintendo keeps listening beyond the online multiplayer stuff and fixes that, the whole safety key thing was such a pain to build around in Mario Maker 1. In an ideal world checkpoints would default to keeping your keys/keycoins but would give makers the option to have them not be kept. At least then makers would only need to hide a dev key somewhere to solve the "play the level from the checkpoint" thing
Question. I've never preordered or preloaded a Switch game. I will be out of town Friday and won't have WiFi access. Can I preorder this now and preload it and it will just unlock on Friday morning?
No you need to ping Nintendo's servers to get access to it

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I believe it has to connect online to unlock it. But, it's probably unlocking at 9 PM PST Thursday if you can just pop it online real quick.

Apr 21, 2018
Can someone explain Skipsqueaks and keydeath to me? Or the pipe stacking? What does this even mean?

I loved SMM but I never got so deep into the community, meta, or building to understand.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain Skipsqueaks and keydeath to me? Or the pipe stacking? What does this even mean?

I loved SMM but I never got so deep into the community, meta, or building to understand.

Skipsqueak — New enemy introduced in 3DW and coming in with the 3DW style. It jumps when Mario jumps, so as soon as they were spotted in the trailers, people started imagining how to use them for remotely triggering switches (for example, in "don't jump" puzzles). Now it looks like you can't do that as we hoped.

Key death — Usually, when you pick up X pink coins, hit a checkpoint, then die, you respawn at the checkpoint with X pink coins. But if you pick up X pink coins, hit a checkpoint, pick up all the remaining pink coins (which then transform into a key), then die, you respawn at the checkpoint with zero pink coins. This breaks a lot of locked-door designs and most players consider it a bug. In SMM2 it has not been fixed.

Pipe stacking — In SMM1 you can place up to five pipes on top of each other. This has many, many uses: you can use them to create one-way pipes, many-to-one warp pipes (multiple entrances that all send you to the same exit), pipes that seem to spawn multiple enemy/item types at once, and more. Aesthetically, intersecting pipes were also the cleanest-looking way to recreate classic elements like the SMB1-style underground entrances or SMB3-style pipe mazes, because the bottoms of the individual pipe segments would be easier to disguise. This is not returning in SMM2, which will make it harder or clunkier to do all these things, including things that were already being done all over the place in classic Mario.

Apr 21, 2018
Key death — Usually, when you pick up X pink coins, hit a checkpoint, then die, you respawn at the checkpoint with X pink coins. But if you pick up X pink coins, hit a checkpoint, pick up all the remaining pink coins (which then transform into a key), then die, you respawn at the checkpoint with zero pink coins. This breaks a lot of locked-door designs and most players consider it a bug. In SMM2 it has not been fixed.

Thanks for explaining. Key Death sounds like a definite bug.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of taking away the ability to cover the starting arrow?

The protected 7x3 square at the start now serves as a multiplayer starting zone, since you now potentially have four colliding players in the box, not just Mario at a fixed location every time. In multiplayer, the players jostle with each other in the box for the starting countdown.

It's unfortunate for one-screen puzzles, reset doors, and aesthetic considerations, but I won't miss elements like springs that trigger as soon as you load into a stage. (Not that a 3-tile-high protected zone will do much about springs or Thwomps in the starting area.)

Come to think of it, since online multiplayer has a starting countdown, it's actually unclear to me whether stage elements like moving parts and falling objects activate right away when the players load in, or only the countdown hits zero.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017

NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
YEP
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
COOL
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE
NOPE

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
All those people expecting a sixth style to unlock will get disappointed very soon.

Last edited:

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I was legit mad at the handheld mode requiring a stylus to create courses, but when I added my digital code to my Nintendo account, I got an e-mail saying I am entitled to a free Super Mario Maker 2 stylus, with free shipping.

Thanks, Nintendo Japan.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Going back to the discussion about scroll locks, did we establish what does or doesn't constitute as a "solid wall" -- ie, bricks, etc?