• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the skips will matter all that much with the limited lives aspect. We don't know how much are in the other difficulties but we've seen starting with 5. It doesn't really matter how many skips you get at that point because no matter what level you get it will still be in that difficulty bracket and you still have a pretty limited amount of lives.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
But then if they can skip, it turns the leaderboard into who has actually turned off their Switch. Expert players could play through an entire day on easy levels and never lose.
If someone wants to waste their life playing trash easy levels for the sake of a leaderboard ranking I'd say they've lost plenty.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think what would make the most sense is if you have a set number of skips. Let's say three total skips. Or you earn one skip for every 10 levels you complete. I think that would give the leaderboards much more meaning, because yes, as currently constructed there is a luck element to every run.

Yea that way people will have to think, do I want to use a skip on this level? Instead of just skipping everything that looks hard

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
From Nintendo's perspective, I understand why they would do this. You're launching a new game, whose userbase should be much larger than the WiiU version, and I'd argue the majority of that userbase will have never played SMM1. In that sense, you want to make the game as approachable as possible. Imagine a new player in an endless run and they get a troll level, or a level with some insane setup. It may not even be a super-expert level, but if that player looks at it and deems it too intimidating they might put down the game. The setups the SMM1 community have come to know after ~5 years of dissecting the game would not be easily teachable to a new player. So, in this sense, Nintendo is choosing accessibility over style - at least for now.

That's kind of why I feel like Nintendo is doing the "live service" thing right. They aren't releasing a shell of a game and then adding to it down the road, they're releasing a full-fledged game and then adding to it. With post-launch support already confirmed (and them kowtowing to fan demand by adding playing with friends), making some noise about missing features from SMM1 is likely the best way to get Nintendo to implement these updates.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Writing this down for posterity, before I forget, haha. What if in 6 months, SMM2 has an update...and it's Wario. Hear me out. In six months time they will prepare a trailer for the SMM2 update for a Direct. And essentially, Wario will crash the party, and flip the title screen to Super Wario Maker - Nintendo''s official way of introducing troll items and mechanics into the game. Wario will get his own radial wheel of items, and his own page in the tutorial, explaining basic troll concepts. This will reintroduce overlaid pipes, muncher gizmos, etc. It could even include new sound effects and capping it all off - an additional style of Wario Land 3 to build in.

Please hire me Nintendo.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Writing this down for posterity, before I forget, haha. What if in 6 months, SMM2 has an update...and it's Wario. Hear me out. In six months time they will prepare a trailer for the SMM2 update for a Direct. And essentially, Wario will crash the party, and flip the title screen to Super Wario Maker - Nintendo''s official way of introducing troll items and mechanics into the game. Wario will get his own radial wheel of items, and his own page in the tutorial, explaining basic troll concepts. This will reintroduce overlaid pipes, muncher gizmos, etc. It could even include new sound effects and capping it all off - an additional style of Wario Land 3 to build in.

Please hire me Nintendo.

This is a great idea, but Nintendo sees Wario as only the Warioware guy now. Wario Land is dead and buried.

Side note, remember how great Wario Land was? Damn.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

Please hire me Nintendo.

I want this.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the new item I'm most hyped for is the kart, I feel like I could make some good donkey kong country style mine cart stages with it

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
For people who were really worried about the music choices for themes, there's been a few videos posted on youtube of themes saying they're the SMM2, but I don't know enough to know if they are actually from SMM2 or if they're saying they want those themes in SMM2 or what. Just letting those who were wondering about the music that it may be out there.

I've been just searching youtube sorting by upload date.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For endless mode I think they should have an option to only play levels that have received stars, instead of only being able to choose from difficulty

That would need to be added later though so a lot of levels will have had time to receive stars

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I think the new item I'm most hyped for is the kart, I feel like I could make some good donkey kong country style mine cart stages with it

For endless mode I think they should have an option to only play levels that have received stars, instead of only being able to choose from difficulty

That would need to be added later though so a lot of levels will have had time to receive stars

Most hyped for the on/off blocks in regular styles and probably the exclamation blocks in 3D World for me. And yes, for endless mode I hope they add in all kinds of filters eventually. Imagine a custom endless mode with nothing but auto-scrollers or endless 3D World only. Could make for all kinds of neat challenges.

Morphis

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a Switch for it. Got into 1 through CarlSagan42 and Ryukahr maybe a year back, don't have a Wii U and couldn't get myself to get one for one game. But when the sequel got announced the Switch got more and more interesting, so I caved 2 weeks ago.

So, pretty damn hyped :)

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know many people aren't happy with 3D World but I don't care much about the restrictions. If I play a 3D World level I want a 3D World experience. Sure, I'd like if it had even more options, but at least I'll know 3D World levels will be unlike anything else when I play them.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I just picked up a Switch last weekend. Mario Maker wasn't a deciding factor, but it's definitely something I'm looking forward to. I love the creative tools within games that let you make levels or missions, so a whole game of that is right up my alley. I never had a WiiU, so this is my first real crack at it.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Nintendo almost ALWAYS cuts features between games in a series. I can't event think a a series that preserved most features between titles. It's sad but not new

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

Ok, putting parachute's on potabus coming out of pipes is pretty cool.

Also, that desert level really goes to show how much slopes just adds to the asthetics of the game. Rooms and tunnels don't just seem like random blocks cut out of big areas and really read as a flowing level.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Ok, putting parachute's on potabus coming out of pipes is pretty cool.

Also, that desert level really goes to show how much slopes just adds to the asthetics of the game. Rooms and tunnels don't just seem like random blocks cut out of big areas and really read as a flowing level.

Do all the levels in story mode have to be completed to finish the castle? Or are there some left over after you finish the castle for completionist?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Do all the levels in story mode have to be completed to finish the castle? Or are there some left over after you finish the castle for completionist?

Just hearing how the castle rebuilding worked, I'm thinking beating all the levels isn't required. It seemed to more go by coins and clear marks. It's still a possibility, but that makes me think you can complete the castle without beating all the levels.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just hearing how the castle rebuilding worked, I'm thinking beating all the levels isn't required. It seemed to more go by coins and clear marks. It's still a possibility, but that makes me think you can complete the castle without beating all the levels.
So completing the castle takes around 5-6 hrs but if you want to finish all 100+ levels it will be around 9-10 hrs you think?

I remember seeing someone say 5 hrs to finish story mode, but I didn't know if that meant finishing just the castle or finishing every stage

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My 4 year old is excited for this game. He loves watching me play Mario games but he has a hard time with the controls. I'm going to make him some easy levels to get his feet wet.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
So completing the castle takes around 5-6 hrs but if you want to finish all 100+ levels it will be around 9-10 hrs you think?

I remember seeing someone say 5 hrs to finish story mode, but I didn't know if that meant finishing the castle or finishing every stage

I doubt there is that much extra after completing the castle, but the way they talked about being finished with story mode made me think they were talking about finishing with all the levels and not the actual story narrative. I just don't see 100 levels lasting that long with the lengths we're seeing, especially if checkpoints can't be used in levels with clear conditions. It's going to be 100 fairly short levels probably for the most part.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there is that much extra after completing the castle, but the way they talked about being finished with story mode made me think they were talking about finishing with all the levels and not the actual story narrative. I just don't see 100 levels lasting that long with the lengths we're seeing, especially if checkpoints can't be used in levels with clear conditions. It's going to be 100 fairly short levels probably for the most part.
Well Mario bros U had 96 stages I think and the completion time was 9 hrs for just the main stages

And if this has over 100 you would think the time would be close to 9 hrs also to finish all the stages

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Well Mario bros U had 96 stages I think and the completion time was 9 hrs for just the main stages

And if this has over 100 you would think the time would be close to 9 hrs also to finish all the stages

Yeah, but you're comparing full fledged levels in a mario game, versus levels madein an editor that is more just there to show off game mechanics and give ideas. I feel clear conditions are going to be a big focus and without having checkpoints they aren't going to make those levels very long. Just look at the video with the cool levels. The shelmet level is likely that entire level and it took about 40 seconds to beat. I don't think they're all going to be that short but I feel a lot of the easier levels are going to be pretty straight forward and short.

Speaking of, I wonder if they fixed keydeaths.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can't believe André unironically pretty much said "the problem with the new editor is that it's too good" when talking about the new way to combine ennemies with objects. Basically he complains that the old way is still there but not useful because there's a faster way to do it now. I absolutely don't get it. Just because the discovery was fun the very first time you did it?

People waxed on about how much more fun smash ultimate was because you had to unlock 95% of the roster that everyone already knew about. People have extremely bizarre ideas of what makes a game fun to play.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
QUOTE="Dyle, post: 22041082, member: 2904"]
From the Kotaku preview, no mentions of any bonus challenges unfortunately

Thanks for the info, Dyle! I'm hoping that despite their not being mentioned they may still be in the game. AndreGX , any chance you can confirm for us whether the levels in story mode are one-and-done runthroughs or if they have optional additional challenges like in SMM 3DSS? Thank you!
[/QUOTE]

One and done

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017

Please hire me Nintendo.

Add in this glorious little nuisance

tumblr_o7x6ojch3g1s91q0oo2_500.png

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info, Dyle! I'm hoping that despite their not being mentioned they may still be in the game. AndreGX , any chance you can confirm for us whether the levels in story mode are one-and-done runthroughs or if they have optional additional challenges like in SMM 3DSS? Thank you!

One and done
[/QUOTE]
I know I am in the minority, but the gig reason I like mm is the non nintendo levels, when you have people not using nintendo's disgin, you get very unique leveals.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
People waxed on about how much more fun smash ultimate was because you had to unlock 95% of the roster that everyone already knew about. People have extremely bizarre ideas of what makes a game fun to play.

I don't think this is a fair comparison, and neither is the "paraphrased" summary you replied to a fair representation. This isn't about an unlocking process; hell, I was a proponent of ditching it entirely for Smash. Our larger point was that the first game felt magical, whereas now it's much more utilitarian. You don't have to agree with it, but it'd be nice if you tried to understand it instead of shitting all over us both here and in our own YT comments for largely unrelated reasons.

Last edited:

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a fair comparison, and neither is the "paraphrased" summary you replied to a fair representation. This isn't about an unlocking process; hell, I was a proponent of ditching it entirely for Smash. Our larger point was that the first game felt magical, whereas now it's much more utilitarian. You don't have to agree with it, but it'd be nice if you tried to understand it instead of shitting all over us both here and in our own YT comments for largely unrelated reasons.
I see your points and see how that added more to the game, maybe a lot of it will be added back in through updates

All of that has been talked about enough by now though, I would like to see more videos about what's new and better in Mario maker 2 though, if your still planning to post more preview videos in the near future

Because I feel like there were a lot more things added than there were taken away

Last edited:

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
This is the game I've been the most excited for in the year after MK11. I truly cannot wait for it to come out, it's gonna be amazing playing the levels the people put out! :)

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know many people aren't happy with 3D World but I don't care much about the restrictions. If I play a 3D World level I want a 3D World experience. Sure, I'd like if it had even more options, but at least I'll know 3D World levels will be unlike anything else when I play them.

3D World is my favourite one and the one I'll use the most when making levels.

I do hope they eventually add the tracks to it, those are fun.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if these SMM2 songs being put on youtube are legit, but they're great which is making me really hope they're legit.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Does the stylus of the Wii U Gamepad work on the Switch screen? I already have it so now all I need is a screen protector... I hate screen protectors but I don't have any choice.

Gamexplain preview video had me like :/

Why? Underwhelming stuff mentioned? I haven't seen it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does the stylus of the Wii U Gamepad work on the Switch screen? I already have it so now all I need is a screen protector... I hate screen protectors but I don't have any choice.

Why? Underwhelming stuff mentioned? I haven't seen it.
Mostly sound effects, costumes, fly mini game that are missing and creator Ui is what they were negative on, they were positive on everything else

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
It comes out the day my kids break off for school. The first 2 weeks of the holidays my wife's Dad is looking after them so they have decided they are going to see how evil they can create the courses for me to come home from work and solve. We are all so incredibly hyped.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
No, they're different types of screen with different types of touch screen tech.

Such a bummer... So now I need a damn stylus, a screen protector, and the Online subscription to fully enjoy the game. Way to kill the hype when money is scarce, Nintendo...
Mostly sound effects, costumes, fly mini game that are missing and creator Ui is what they were negative on, they were positive on everything else

Oh glad it's only that. Stuff I can live without. I particularly dislike the sound effects in MM so the less, the better hah.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh glad it's only that. Stuff I can live without. I particularly dislike the sound effects in MM so the less, the better hah.
Same for me, they made a big deal out of it though lol, they had a lot of playtime on mm1 though so maybe it's imoprtant to them I guess

Last edited:

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017

One and done
[/QUOTE]

That's really too bad. The challenges in SMM 3DS were a great successor to the ones in NSMBU. Ah well. Thanks for the info!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I apologize if my tone has been overly harsh, I honestly really have enjoy your content and have for many years. I do stand by my criticisms because I've come to expect very high quality content from gx, those analysis of botw and mm2 are maybe the best analysis videos I've ever seen. My frustrations come from someone who is a huge fan and has (and when finances improve) will be a patron and who wants you guys to do bigger and better things.

And my comparison to the smash unlocks wasn't specifically meant to be a 1:1 comparison, it was more a general "people get enjoyment from different things". you clearly got a lot more enjoyment from SMM1's more quirky, gamey elements to building then I did, the same way others got a lot more enjoyment then I did in unlocking smash ultimates roster.