• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So don't complain about any missing things because it could possibly be added? Lol come on.

Yes stuff can be added, but literally something that is already in all the other themes and the functionality in and of itself is in the theme already with the spike blocks? It just seems dumb and updates later would be better to be actual new stuff.
I would gladly trade mm1 for mm2 for all the other stuff that is gained, most of the complaints are small stuff that will most likely be added later

Oh no can't use switch block in 3D world, but we have multiplayer now for example

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The lack of costumes and skinny mushroom make a lot of SMM1 SMB1 levels not possible. Not just in themes but the functionality of how the costume made you still the size of small mario while having the power up changes mechanics that were used extensively.
Yeah I added "almost everything" for a reason.

There is still a lot more possibilities for making SMB1 levels in Mario Maker 2 despite this. And it's just one of the styles.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I love GameXplain videos but this one didn't resonate with me, went on too long with complaints about quirkiness and weirdness. And yeah, dragging a mushroom onto something and seeing it work was cute but that loses its novelty fast, I actually haven't used a few objects in the original because I didn't know they had variants, and I often forgot about some of them.

Bummer that it's a bit more cramped, but we're going from two screens to one so thems the breaks.

This game has bigger issues than weirdness, I've been watching those new videos that have been popping up today, levels in old themes from the original and I just felt the hype deflating because it just didn't feel fresh, it felt like MM1 again, and I'm so done with that NSMBU look and feel, I'll be skipping most levels that use it.

I honestly wish they got rid of all the old styles and made every object available in the 3D World style, with all the themes from 3D World.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped, but I do have to say that, when they announced it, I was hoping there would be more new stuff announced for it than there actually was. Doesn't seem like a super ambitious sequel. But still hyped.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hyped, but I do have to say that, when they announced it, I was hoping there would be more new stuff announced for it than there actually was. Doesn't seem like a super ambitious sequel. But still hyped.
What else would you need for it to be truly ambitious? I feel like I've got everything I wanted and then some personally.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If Nintendo treats this as GaaS throughout this generation with updates, coupled with a bigger base of users than SMM1 ever had, it could still end up being incredible.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
The first major update for SMM1 was released less than two months after launch and added checkpoints as a main feature. By six months, the game had received seven total updates, eventually adding the Super Expert difficulty and various items and QOL improvements. IIRC at the time from interviews, they didn't want to overload the player all at once - I think that was partially the reason why there were timed unlocks at launch. I wouldn't be surprised if this is their approach again, but in a GaaS model from the onset. Allow players to become comfortable with what is currently in the game (which is already a much richer feature set than the original game), and then continuously add on to that so that in one year's time, the creators who have stuck with it will be able to create some really wild stuff.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that matters to me is if mm2 is better overall than mm1, and from what I've seen that looks to be the case

Mm1 had no multiplayer, less themes, less items, no slopes, less goal conditions etc

I think some people need to watch the direct again to be reminded how many new things were added

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that matters to me is if mm2 is better overall than mm1, and from what I've seen that looks to be the case

Mm1 had no multiplayer, less themes, less items, no slopes etc
Yeah, and it's only going to get better over time like SMM1 did. I can't wait for the full potential of "additional styles" to be realized.

unless they go "the team had too many ideas for 'additional styles' and wanted to start from scratch" in which case I will scream

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
The GameXplain video is quite a bit more negative than expected :/ Even though the channel is most definitely Nintendo-centric, I feel like I can always trust Andre et al. to be honest and forthright with their opinions rather than purely sycophantic; compared to similar outlets, there's a bit more nuance to their criticisms. And even though I don't always agree (e.g. KI: Uprising, Ape Out), I can most certainly respect where they're coming from. At the very least, their preview is keeping my expectations in check ;)
You do realize in the same video they call the game a blast to play and the most fun you can find on Switch, right? Criticism aside, it's not like the video is purely negative and hammering on the game as a whole.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The lack of costumes and skinny mushroom make a lot of SMM1 SMB1 levels not possible. Not just in themes but the functionality of how the costume made you still the size of small mario while having the power up changes mechanics that were used extensively.
They really should add some kind of power up for the SMB style that keeps Mario 1x1 but gives him 1 hit of armor.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Really excited to lose hundreds of hours on this game just like the Wii U original. ha

Apr 19, 2018
For someone who isn't likely to dabble much with the "maker" aspect of the game, and may not even utilize the online functionality to play user-made levels, will the Nintendo-created Story Mode still make this a worthwhile purchase?

Oct 28, 2017
The first major update for SMM1 was released less than two months after launch and added checkpoints as a main feature. By six months, the game had received seven total updates, eventually adding the Super Expert difficulty and various items and QOL improvements. IIRC at the time from interviews, they didn't want to overload the player all at once - I think that was partially the reason why there were timed unlocks at launch. I wouldn't be surprised if this is their approach again, but in a GaaS model from the onset. Allow players to become comfortable with what is currently in the game (which is already a much richer feature set than the original game), and then continuously add on to that so that in one year's time, the creators who have stuck with it will be able to create some really wild stuff.
Tell you a secret? I adored Mario Maker 1 played a lot of it and uploaded a number of my own stages. But by the time that checkpoint update came I'd dropped the game. I just moved on you know? Not a reflection on my enjoyment of the game. I just moved on to other games.

I remember feeling kinda miffed when that update came actually. "Oh NOW you add checkpoints?!" I didn't want my levels to be quite that mean. I would have added checkpoints if they were in! I even reuploaded one of my levels adding artificial checkpoints before actual checkpoints came.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Never played the original Super Mario Maker so everything will be fresh to me. Can't wait to see if I'm able to build something fun.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Though there are also practical reasons (the multi-player), I could also understand them holding back on the costumes to keep the initial few months focused purely on Mario, and to encourage use of all the different themes. IIRC, Ceave did a crazy analysis of uploaded levels and found there was a massive bias towards NSMB and SMB styles, the latter obviously influenced by the costume gimmick.

Oct 28, 2017
Though there are also practical reasons (the multi-player), I could also understand them holding back on the costumes to keep the initial few months focused purely on Mario, and to encourage use of all the different themes. IIRC, Ceave did a crazy analysis of uploaded levels and found there was a massive bias towards NSMB and SMB styles, the latter obviously influenced by the costume gimmick.
HA!

I always love it when NSMB proves to be popular in spite of all the hate it receives.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
HA!

I always love it when NSMB proves to be popular in spite of all the hate it receives.
NSMB likely was popular because of its extra movement options. It was the only style to have a triple jump, a mid-air spin that affected movement, wall jump and ground pound.
Regardless of how one felt about the aesthetics, those extra options added a lot. I think it was most popular for tight speed run levels

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen, I think I'm feeling the GameXplain complaints. Part of the reason Super Mario Maker was received so well was the quirky flair, how it gamified the editor itself a bit. Now it's a more straightforward editor, without the "annoying" stuff in the way like having to drag Mushrooms onto things, shaking them, etc, but at the expense of the fun atmosphere. And removing what little set Super Mario Bros. 1 apart makes it seem so dry now.

I think the weirdest thing is just how disconnected 3D World is. It's not just that there's things you can do there you can't do elsewhere, it's missing elements all the other styles have. Really weird omissions, some incredibly basic ones. I'm hoping patches give the 3D World style some of the tools back, and ideally eventual cross-compatibility returning, with 3D World objects getting equivalents in the other styles. I hope it isn't an intentional choice that "This is the 3D World style, and players must sacrifice functionality to fit that mold." That certainly wasn't the case for the majority of Mario Maker 1.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's depressing that lots of people think this game is shaping up to be worse because it's removed some of the easter eggs and 'charm' of the original editor. Clearly being able to play Gnat Attack is far more important than making good levels? Probably explains why 90% of the levels in the original were crap.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a bummer that story mode is so short, I was hoping it would last longer. The lack of personality in all the little easter eggs and oddities is a much bigger disappointment

Where did you read about story mode? I'm curious to read it also and how short it is. Are there bonus medal challenges in the levels like in SMM 3DS?

Edit: thanks srtrestre for your post above. Sounds like it may not be as in-depth and purchase-justifying as the story mode in SMM 3DS, then.

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
No costumes?
No item drag experimentation?
No skinny Mario?
No title screen Easter eggs and other flair?

It's like they systematically removed everything I loved about the first. Damn.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It's depressing that lots of people think this game is shaping up to be worse because it's removed some of the easter eggs and 'charm' of the original editor. Clearly being able to play Gnat Attack is far more important than making good levels? Probably explains why 90% of the levels in the original were crap.
Sure, but I think the game does deserve to be dragged a bit because of the interface, especially when they aren't even packing in a stylus.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sure, but I think the game does deserve to be dragged a bit because of the interface, especially when they aren't even packing in a stylus.

I'm not referring to the problems with the interface in terms of using button controls - I'm merely referring to the easter eggs and other exogenous crap that GameXplain have pointed out as 'missing features' (such as there no 'random death sounds' or Gnat Attack minigame). I wholeheartedly agree that the interface looks to be slightly more clunky, especially in docked mode.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

You can improve the editor without abandoning the character of it. Mario Maker 1 was a slightly weird game, and it knew it. I'm not saying it's all gone, but it does feel more restrained here.

Also, 90% of the levels weren't crap, you're just being a snob. Sorry some 11-year-old kid isn't Shigeru Miyamoto (yet).

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
If you could create 3D levels like in Dreams this would be truly ambitious. Maybe in the sequel.
I think a 3D World/Land Maker would be SUPER feasible. And much more intuitive/accessible than Dreams, because you would just be working on a grid template with set camera angles, and be laying out the terrain, theme, enemy and hazard placements, etc. MAN I want that game.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not referring to the problems with the interface in terms of using button controls - I'm merely referring to the easter eggs and other exogenous crap that GameXplain have pointed out as 'missing features' (such as there no 'random death sounds' or Gnat Attack minigame). I wholeheartedly agree that the interface looks to be slightly more clunky, especially in docked mode.
The interface is pretty much the only real negative I see everything else is better, and I think that's pretty much because the switch isn't a Wii U with a gamepad to make some things easier, switch can't really help that though, it's not Wii U but you gain the ability to take it every where with you too

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not concerned about the stuff like the fly minigame being gone or easter eggs and whatnot. But I am damn concerned about the making interface. It being so easy and intuitive is what made it so fun. I am not a creative person. Level editors in games I always barely touch. In Mario Maker it was so easy and fun that I spent more time making than playing and uploaded many levels. If Mario Maker 2 doesn't have an interface that's easy and fun to use then it's losing a lot. But we'll see. I'll be using a stylus so hopefully things will be good with it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not concerned about the stuff like the fly minigame being gone or easter eggs and whatnot. But I am damn concerned about the making interface. It being so easy and intuitive is what made it so fun. I am not a creative person. Level editors in games I always barely touch. In Mario Maker it was so easy and fun that I spent more time making than playing and uploaded many levels. If Mario Maker 2 doesn't have an interface that's easy and fun to use then it's losing a lot. But we'll see. I'll be using a stylus so hopefully things will be good with it.
I'm not worried about any creation stuff, just looking a videos myself it seems simple enough, I think mostly what was lost was the ease of being able to create on the Wii U gamepad and play on the tv at the same time, that's impossible for switch to do though, so don't really have much choice

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you read about story mode? I'm curious to read it also and how short it is. Are there bonus medal challenges in the levels like in SMM 3DS?

Edit: thanks srtrestre for your post above. Sounds like it may not be as in-depth and purchase-justifying as the story mode in SMM 3DS, then.
From the Kotaku preview, no mentions of any bonus challenges unfortunately
Although it's all over in about five hours or so, Story Mode is a good introduction to the sorts of things you can do in Mario Maker, sort of a stealth tutorial. The different levels showcase different parts that you can use, but more importantly, they show different ideas for how those parts might be put together to make an unexpected challenge.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
New semi solid for smb1 ghost house:

40ea3dec9f7d7a56196614cdc6fcd099.png

I guess it replaces this one:

bac0d752073d479b2070e189a005b488.png

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
New semi solid for smb1 ghost house:

40ea3dec9f7d7a56196614cdc6fcd099.png

I guess it replaces this one:

bac0d752073d479b2070e189a005b488.png
Not quite. It seems some versions of SMB1 themes have new backgrounds. Vertical desert in SMB1 has an earth wall background. Looks like night Ghost House adds a wall background. Makes sense since the dark gimmick would be less impactful if the background stayed solid black.

Vertical Desert
ZdzEiZg.jpg

Night Ghost House
wFeKSfi.jpg

One unfortunate thing is when we first saw SMB1 vertical desert we thought it confirmed that you can finally put arrows over semisolids, which was very annoyingly something you couldn't do in SMM1, however what we thought was a semisolid behind the arrows was just that theme's background.

Last edited:

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I hope Nintendo keeps doing these game + switch online $70 bundles with future titles like animal crossing.

Jan 3, 2018
I'm not worried about any creation stuff, just looking a videos myself it seems simple enough, I think mostly what was lost was the ease of being able to create on the Wii U gamepad and play on the tv at the same time, that's impossible for switch to do though, so don't really have much choice

Right. Maybe it's time to invest in a USB-C extension cable.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

Just to add to some of the negatives...

Overlayed pipes and not adjusting the blinking blocks are the only real dissapointments here. Everything else I feel was pretty expected/obvious.

Last edited: