• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Negative like he's not going to play it and say the core game is bad? Or just negative on small things that he hopes will be fixed in updates?

He clarifies by the end that he is negative in coming into it from SMM1. The creating isn't as fun for him and the game lost basically all it's weirdness/quirkyness which was a big thing from SMM1. He still thinks it's a great game and thinks things will likely change in his impressions, but he's dissapointed in a lot of changes and omissions that were made.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Negative like he's not going to play it and say the core game is bad? Or just negative on small things that he hopes will be fixed in updates?

Despite having a lot more stuff and a lot more options he also finds it paradoxically more limiting and losing some of its charm without all the weird un-Mario things (like the costumes/weird lanky mario etc), Playing Mario Maker 2 is still fantastic, but they're less excited about making stuff.

I'm just a bit....baffled by some of the things he lists as negatives.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Despite having a lot more stuff and a lot more options he also finds it paradoxically more limiting and losing some of its charm without all the weird un-Mario things (like the costumes/weird lanky mario etc), Playing Mario Maker 2 is still fantastic, but they're less excited about making stuff.
Oh, i wasn't much a fan of costumes anyway, maybe they will add them back in an update for people that liked them

That's the only thing missing isn't it?

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

Not only the amiibo costumes are absent, but it seems like a lot of the Mario Paint like easter eggs are gone. Stuff like Mario falling and dying and you having like a 30 second weird audio of him falling and having sound effects. They literally mention they got excited with a new opening scene with three goombas hitting the SMM2 sign when they started the game up because it was basically the only new thing they had found.

The mega mushroom not changing the art for a lot of the enemies or having the weird effects is gone. They just seemed to take away a lot of the fun quirky things about SMM1. Which is why they say it feels like they made SMM1 just more vanilla.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Not only the amiibo costumes are absent, but it seems like a lot of the Mario Paint like easter eggs are gone. Stuff like Mario falling and dying and you having like a 30 second weird audio of him falling and having sound effects. They literally mention they got excited with a new opening scene with three goombas hitting the SMM2 sign when they started the game up because it was basically the only new thing they had found.

The lack of costumes aside (which I didn't care too much personally about) the lack of Mario Paint easter eggs is dissapointing. Though I'm not sure if they are playing with the Day1 patch (since the devs mentioned still working on the game for release at E3), so I assume there's an day 1 patch)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The mega mushroom not changing the art for a lot of the enemies or having the weird effects is gone. They just seemed to take away a lot of the fun quirky things about SMM1. Which is why they say it feels like they made SMM1 just more vanilla.
More vanilla but with more things to make levels with?

What about the other sounds they added like the Mario kart music you can put on things?

Yea it's disappointing some things are missing from mm1 but I feel like they are ignoring all the positives of new things they added

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
More vanilla but with more things to make levels with?

What about the other sounds they added like the Mario kart music you can put on things?

Yeah, basically. They seem to say there is just a lack of fun and weirdness put into the presentation of the game than there was in SMM1. Which is just a bit disappointing because it was such a big aspect of SMM1's charm and love.

Yes there is more here, and they've added a lot, but the stuff they take out just seems weird and seems like making the overall presentation kind of sterile or vanilla.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just a bit....baffled by some of the things he lists as negatives.

I agree - maybe he just had different expectations. I played a lot of SMM1 but I no where close to the amount that he did, so maybe when you're that invested some of the newer mechanics lose their charm quicker? I think the changes to the UI are definitely a positive for players who would not otherwise know to keep shaking an item to find a different one. I watch MM1 streams all the time and even recently I saw background tiles that I didn't know existed. I still can't help but feel this game must be incredibly difficult to preview pre-release since so much of the appeal will come from amazing level creators dying to get their creations out there...and of course sifting through the hot garbage levels that will prevail at launch until people grasp all the concepts.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, basically. They seem to say there is just a lack of fun and weirdness put into the presentation of the game than there was in SMM1. Which is just a bit disappointing because it was such a big aspect of SMM1's charm and love.

Yes there is more here, and they've added a lot, but the stuff they take out just seems weird and seems like making the overall presentation kind of sterile or vanilla.
I don't really see that as a negative since more things were added to make the actual gameplay better but whatever

Like the multiplayer alone is enough to make me want to play it over mm1

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe André unironically pretty much said "the problem with the new editor is that it's too good" when talking about the new way to combine ennemies with objects. Basically he complains that the old way is still there but not useful because there's a faster way to do it now. I absolutely don't get it. Just because the discovery was fun the very first time you did it?

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
I also hope we will get future updates. As far as i know they didn't explicitly mention that yet.
Only just one more week to go 🙈 I am so ready

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have little interest in making my own levels but I'm super hyped to see what people come up with!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

The must have some odd priorities for this game, because I doubt many people care about whether the presentation is 'vanilla' or not.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The must have some odd priorities for this game, because I doubt many people care about whether the presentation is 'vanilla' or not.
Exactly, I'm more interested in new gameplay additions like multiplayer and more items, not the sound Mario makes when he falls while your making a level or costumes that don't actually change the gameplay

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Exactly, I'm more interested in new gameplay additions, not the sound Mario makes when he falls while your making a level

Like - of course I'm sad that they've gotten rid of some of the easter eggs - but I'd much rather have a game with more to do than the original Mario Maker, which always felt like they spent just a little bit too much time on some of the easter eggs in that game, in my opinion.

That video from GameXplain was the first video of theirs in quite a white I didn't finish because some of their critiques were just... so nitpicky? I only agree with the fact that they said editing courses in docked mode looks to be clunky and slow - which was to be expected.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, I'm more interested in new gameplay additions like multiplayer and more items, not the sound Mario makes when he falls while your making a level

I think you're just applying too much emphasis to the level of complaint. They seem to find it dissapointing and most complaints they think will change with time. It's mostly just dissapointing they got rid of a lot of stuff that was already in there or made changes that make no real sense.

This is not even mentioning stuff like things being in 3Dworld exclusively even though they have sprites and are in the other games like Fire Bros or the Puffer Fish. Or stuff not being in 3D world that originated there like stacking goombas.

They even clarify that these are largely complaints due to coming from SMM1. They say that if this is your first entry this could still easily be the most enjoyable game on the switch and is a great game.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe André unironically pretty much said "the problem with the new editor is that it's too good" when talking about the new way to combine ennemies with objects. Basically he complains that the old way is still there but not useful because there's a faster way to do it now. I absolutely don't get it. Just because the discovery was fun the very first time you did it?
Its definitely a strange take.

Edit:
Sometimes I get the feeling that GameXplain's signature in-depth over-analysis can have a negative impact on their eventual enjoyment of games. For example, I think Andre enjoyed BOTW significantly less then he would otherwise due to him having spent hours and hours mapping out everything in Hyrule before the game was released, thereby taking away much of the joys and surprises of exploration. Something similar seems to have happened here with MM2 - new features that "should" be exciting are now old news, and so the more negative aspects of the game become the focus.

Having said that, I definitely enjoy GameXplain analysis videos, so don't take my attempt at criticism the wrong way.

Last edited:

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Honestly the editor in the first game was a bit annoying after a while because shaking is just an odd way to interact with things. Sure, it's neat at first, but you do it 100 times and it's just a barrier.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're just applying too much emphasis to the level of complaint. They seem to find it dissapointing and most complaints they think will change with time. It's mostly just dissapointing they got rid of a lot of stuff that was already in there or made changes that make no real sense.

This is not even mentioning stuff like things being in 3Dworld exclusively even though they have sprites and are in the other games like Fire Bros or the Puffer Fish. Or stuff not being in 3D world that originated there like stacking goombas.

They even clarify that these are largely complaints due to coming from SMM1. They say that if this is your first entry this could still easily be the most enjoyable game on the switch and is a great game.
Yea, I just feel like the complaints are about things that really don't matter or that most don't care about

We have known about not being able to change from 3D world style since the direct

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Super hype. Someone Mario Maker my avatar, please. I'm ready for my shit to go several layers deep.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, I just feel like the complaints are about things that really don't matter or that most don't care about

We have known about not being able to change from 3D world style since the direct

Not changing the style isn't the complaint though. It mixes in with the idea that there were still things in the game we weren't seeing. Stuff like Fire Bro's being in other original games, but for some reason they're just in 3D world in this game. Stuff not stacking in 3D world even though things stack in the actual 3d world game. There's just weird choices and decisions that most people thought was still just up in the air that are now just being confirmed as the worst possibility.

You can't just say "We knew that since the direct so shame on people for thinking otherwise." for stuff that was never clarified and really never mad sense to be that way anyways.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm finding some of the GX complaints hard to relate to. I'm not going to go into all of them, but for example they don't like the fact that 3D World is its own separate style that doesn't work like/with the other 4, but I'm 100% excited for new styles that don't compromise their unique functionality for the sake of compatibility. That actually opens the door to so many possibilities, like having Mario 2 (US) or Mario Land 2 style levels in the future.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
One complaint that Andre mentions is the absence of on and off blocks in 3D World...if this is true, it is a strange omission. In the direct, they show the On/Off *switches* and how they can work with the spike blocks. I did assume that the default blocks would be accessible as well. I am guessing you can still tie the on/off switch to conveyor belts, but I wonder what further utility they have in that style. I was already hoping to make a skipsqueak level where they could toggle the switches.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamexplain complaining ok...wow you have to press an X button to remove all the UI. Sounds simple and easy.

The using touchscreen does seem to not be so fun without a stylus. I'll have to buy one.

Edit. I saw André said On/Off was missing from 3D World. They showed it in the Direct. Did Nintendo remove it from the game?

Oct 26, 2017
One complaint that Andre mentions is the absence of on and off blocks in 3D World...if this is true, it is a strange omission. In the direct, they show the On/Off *switches* and how they can work with the spike blocks. I did assume that the default blocks would be accessible as well. I am guessing you can still tie the on/off switch to conveyor belts, but I wonder what further utility they have in that style. I was already hoping to make a skipsqueak level where they could toggle the switches.
I'm pretty sure we saw them in the 3D World style but I'd have to double check to be absolutely sure

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017

This is how I feel. One of my favorite parts of the og was to use my amiibo to unlock the sprites. That being gone was a huge blow to me.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Gamexplain complaining ok...wow you have to press an X button to remove all the UI. Sounds simple and easy.

The using touchscreen does seem to not be so fun without a stylus. I'll have to buy one.

Edit. I saw André said On/Off was missing from 3D World. They showed it in the Direct. Did Nintendo remove it from the game?
One of the things I've noticed is that the editor seems to be channelling the SNES port of Sim City, which Nintendo themselves handled. It used a very similar control scheme.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Wow the stylus situation with German retailers is dumb. I want to order at Media Markt because I still have store-credit there but it seems you only get the Stylus if you preorder the Standard Edition, if you preorder the Steelbook 12-month NSO Edition you don't get it :/

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeh that gamexplain preview is totally unbalanced and plain bad. They spend so time being negative about the removal of "fluff" and quirkiness than they do talking about any of the wealth of new features and elements of gameplay. If you're more excited about Mario paint easter eggs than new course elements you maybe need to rethink you're priorities

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeh that gamexplain preview is totally unbalanced and plain bad. They spend so time being negative about the removal of "fluff" and quirkiness than they do talking about any of the wealth of new features and elements of gameplay. If you're more excited about Mario paint easter eggs than new course elements you maybe need to rethink you're priorities
I felt sad at the end of the video. I thought someone died the way they were talking lol.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hype check? DAY ONE! I couldn't play much of the first Mario Maker since I didn't have a Wii U, but I loved playing it at my friend's house and also watching streamers suffer with hard as fuck levels, so I'm really looking forward to finally having the game in my house. Can't wait!

Oct 28, 2017
How is anyone sad that skinny Mario is gone?
Skinny Mario was awesome. How was it not awesome? Of all the things gone this is the biggest one for me.

I'd care about costume Mario being gone if the method of unlocking them in the original wasn't so rage inducing. I actually celebrate costumes being removed for this reason. Also, fuck Amiibo.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
A big aspect that they don't mention about the Amiibo costumes is that there were strict platforming levels that used the mechanic with shells because if you had a costume you couldn't put a shelmet on but if you didn't it would put it on. Those levels seemingly won't be possible now, or would be a lot more restrictive.

How is anyone sad that skinny Mario is gone?

Skinny Mario was awesome and had his own physics which added different playability to the game.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skinny Mario was awesome. How was it not awesome? Of all the things gone this is the biggest one for me.

I'd care about costume Mario being gone if the method of unlocking them in the original wasn't so rage inducing. I actually celebrate costumes being removed for this reason. Also, fuck Amiibo.

I hate every time I see skinny Mario it just isn't right.