• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I thought the same too before I watched the video, but they said there's no "Edit" button in the bottom left hand corner to show it was the co-op building. I guess they could be hiding the Edit button though.

My guess is that you initiate this style of multiplayer using this button here (circled in picture)?

0eCkchM.png

You select a course that you've made or downloaded, hit that button, then you go into a menu to select your characters and start playing in single-screen multiplayer?

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
I'm morbidly excited to jump into Endless mode immediately when the game unlocks at launch just to see the awful levels that people manage to upload within the first 5-10 minutes of the game being publicly accessible.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I think they'll let you play local in the levels you create but not on random online ones, as Nintendo won't able to control which levels are fit for multiplayer, some crazy ones could be unplayable. It would be silly not to let parents play the easy level they just created with their kids.
It would also definitely work for stages you have downloaded; don't see a reason to limit it to stages that you have made.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Do we know if Story Mode will have co-op? I'm guessing not but you never know.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that you initiate this style of multiplayer using this button here (circled in picture)?

0eCkchM.png

You select a course that you've made or downloaded, hit that button, then you go into a menu to select your characters and start playing in single-screen multiplayer?
Interesting. I never saw the multiplayer icon on the right side!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they're probably saving the local multiplayer (on one system) for E3 because they want to announce it and show it off at the Treehouse!

Man I'm like way too excited to see it.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention the button here (probably the biggest piece of in-game evidence); didn't even notice that 3D World shot where the camera keeps both players on screen.
You're talking about the same multiplayer button on the Coursebot?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You're talking about the same multiplayer button on the Coursebot?
Yes; it's been brought up on here and elsewhere a few times since the Direct, so i'm surprised they didn't include it in the video since it's the most substantial evidence we have really:
  • Matches the button for offline co-op making, but features four characters instead of just two.
  • Not the button for local wireless multiplayer, as that is part of Course World.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
One bit of fan-speculation that didn't pan out is the ability to swap into different characters with different properties and maybe even moves.

Well sorta, there are different characters in multiplayer, but I can only assume that they have Mario's exact properties to keep the playing field even.

Most other pipe dreams did pan out 'cause this game looks so goooood.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Here's Ceave Gaming doing a pretty quick breakdown. I like his type of analysis because he more wonders about the possibilities and limitations to the new things rather than just pointing stuff out.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Story Mode I saw they showed the completion % of Peach's Castle. When Mario was talking to Mr. Eraser there's a red pipe closed off with some blocks on top of it. Maybe at some point you'll destroy those blocks and build underground for her castle?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
  • Matches the button for offline co-op making, but features four characters instead of just two.
  • Not the button for local wireless multiplayer, as that is part of Course World.

Exactly the reasoning that went through my head. I also figured that each character is coloured like each of the four playable characters (Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, Toadette), so it refers to full 4-player co-op on a single screen, if we also take into account what GameXplain found right at the end of the Direct.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
One bit of fan-speculation that didn't pan out is the ability to swap into different characters with different properties and maybe even moves.

Well sorta, there are different characters in multiplayer, but I can only assume that they have Mario's exact properties to keep the playing field even.
It would be tough to balance a level around multiple character physics. Most people can't be bothered to even make sure every section of their stage plays well with big Mario's hit box.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly the reasoning that went through my head. I also figured that each character is coloured like each of the four playable characters (Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, Toadette), so it refers to full 4-player co-op on a single screen, if we also take into account what GameXplain found right at the end of the Direct.
This could be amazing.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Most other pipe dreams did pan out 'cause this game looks so goooood.
The world map is the other thing. It's probably being saved for Super Mario Maker 3.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Here's Ceave Gaming doing a pretty quick breakdown. I like his type of analysis because he more wonders about the possibilities and limitations to the new things rather than just pointing stuff out.

To clarify on some things:

The small pipes are just ground blocks in SMB3 desert and forest, not actual pipes.

Ceave says that the way semisolids are used at 1:46 cannot be done in SMM1, but I recreated it exactly here:
Bnn80u2l.jpg

The boo rings chasing Mario are likely a thing that happens in night mode.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I love the colorful UI of Mario Maker.

So pleasing to the eye.

I hope Mario Maker 2 has some weird things like the special deaths you can get.

And something more creepy then Skinny Mario.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet. In the recent Nintendo Power Podcast, it is implied that you can play as Luigi (timestamp is at 15:12) and assumingly the other characters in single player.

https://youtu.be/DFSxiiKNP2s
Well that's neat to know. Can't see why we wouldn't be able to do it (especially after NSMBU Deluxe finally let us use the other characters in single player).

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet. In the recent Nintendo Power Podcast, it is implied that you can play as Luigi (timestamp is at 15:12) and assumingly the other characters in single player.

https://youtu.be/DFSxiiKNP2s

Transcript: "... even pop some ghosts in, and you can play as Luigi, and suddenly you've got your own Luigi's Mansion!"
For context, they're talking about using the Ghost House theme at night (with the limited view).

That's very blunt - I hope that's correct. It'd be nice to vary up who I play as, even if they all control the same.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Transcript: "... even pop some ghosts in, and you can play as Luigi, and suddenly you've got your own Luigi's Mansion!"
For context, they're talking about using the Ghost House theme at night (with the limited view).

That's very blunt - I hope that's correct. It'd be nice to vary up who I play as, even if they all control the same.
Well, with the amount of journalists saying all the game styles had different physics with SMM1 I'd take this with a big grain of salt. Could be speculation.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I am such a sucker for recreated sprites in games that didn't have them (which is a big part of the game to be fair).

Toad and Toadette look great in the SMW style.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am such a sucker for recreated sprites in games that didn't have them (which is a big part of the game to be fair).

Toad and Toadette look great in the SMW style.
I thought I was the only one who loved seeing sprites of Toad and Toadette. I love seeing them go back to old games and adding new characters or new items or new music.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Well, with the amount of journalists saying all the game styles had different physics with SMM1 I'd take this with a big grain of salt. Could be speculation.
You don't think an official Nintendo podcast would know a bit better? We went through something like this during the Smash Ultimate hype cycle too (where something ambiguous in the August Direct was talked about on here) and they ended up being right about it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't think an official Nintendo podcast would know a bit better? We went through something like this during the Smash Ultimate hype cycle too (where something ambiguous in the August Direct was talked about on here) and they ended up being right about it.
It was about Squad Strike. It was never clarified if we could play a single match with each character as a stock then JC from Treehouse came on the podcast and basically said we could.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
23beadd3970b4662a3b9ac1a9fcd36e3.png

Certain objects seem to emit light Like the coin and the red bullet bill.
But what is the light source of the right circle? The arrow is pointing exactly at the center of that invisible light source.
It is the very tip of the arrow? Or can you place light sources (probably not)?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So far the only unlockables are the customization options for your Maker character, right?
So far, and we don't even know how those are unlocked ("various objectives" doesn't tell us much). I'd be willing to bet that the Hammer Power-Up is a Story Mode unlockable (and maybe the Weird Mushroom is too?)

It was about Squad Strike. It was never clarified if we could play a single match with each character as a stock then JC from Treehouse came on the podcast and basically said we could.
Yeah I know, I wasn't going into detail on purpose in case they aren't into Smash.