• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Toruzz of Super Mario Land 2 DX fame recently released Super Mario Land DX to coincide with the Game Boy's 30th anniversary.

It looks like a simpler mod than SML2 DX, just adding color and tweaking some sprites, most notably Mario himself, but without gameplay changes or added features. Looks pretty great all the same. Should work on actual GBC and GBA hardware too.

Swap my sprite if old.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hm, I would've thought it to be just a color mod without swapping out any of the sprites. I would've taken the original sprites over these new ones. DK94 Mario just doesn't fit this game's art style.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would play it. I played Super Mario Land TO DEATH.

Did't realized I missed it.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't understand why nintendo isn't doing such things with their games.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Not a fan of the redone sprites at all. Not sure I'm a fan of a color version of the game period but the redone sprites is a big no no for me.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This visually looks great though I've never enjoyed the feel of Super Mario Land. It was certainly impressive for the time with how close it was to the feel of SMB but it always felt off to me

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
He's working on further revisions, too, to tweak some of the sprites and hitboxes. If the custom sprites don't work for you, there's another hack that adds in color but keeps the original sprites, I believe.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
He's working on further revisions, too, to tweak some of the sprites and hitboxes. If the custom sprites don't work for you, there's another hack that adds in color but keeps the original sprites, I believe.
There's some frame pacing problems with the 1.0 release I experienced that he's looking at fixing in a revision too. I'm looking forward to that.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I love Toruzz' other works and was iffy on this til I saw what they did with Daisy, it actually is recognizable as Daisy with her color palette and everything. Really neat.