• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I am already hoping that Nintendo does this with other classic games like Mario 3.

There is something so satisfying about playing this as someone who was born in 1985. It makes me feel like I haven't lost those old school NES platformer skills.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
Got my first win already. I love it.

They should add some more chaos by adding some Lost Levels

CB3

Oct 25, 2017
Really cool. But it needs to incorporate more games to hit it's proper potential. Hopefully they erase that unreleased date and go all in

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
I was expecting a Fall Guys killer but it looks more like a Tetris 99 type of game.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Really cool. But it needs to incorporate more games to hit it's proper potential. Hopefully they erase that unreleased date and go all in

I don't think mixing multiple games is the way to go because each game would require a different skill set.

But man, I am definitely hoping for Mario 3 35 eventually. Maybe even some sort of randomly generated Zelda 35 or working with a third party developer to make something happen.

Mega Man 35 with random stages from 1-6?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm really enjoying this, and I never really feel cheated from a win

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about this game is that you are forced to use the pro controller's d-pad. Which is an inexcusably awful d-pad that makes me mad every day of my life.

Other than that, it fucking rules!

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Having a blast with this, played three games and placed 5th and then 3rd before winning my last game. Can't wait to jump back in. I bounced off Tetris 99 pretty quickly because I'm not a big puzzle game guy outside of Panel de Pon, but I can see myself playing this a ton.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Having a blast with this, played three games and placed 5th and then 3rd before winning my last game. Can't wait to jump back in. I bounced off Tetris 99 pretty quickly because I'm not a big puzzle game guy outside of Panel de Pon, but I can see myself playing this a ton.

Yeah. I lost my first game because of a terrible button press but got first two other times and second two times as well.

Loving it.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I've always sucked at Mario Bros.

The benefit of playing early is you can pretend you don't for a while (until all the other losers start dropping out too, and only the good players keep logging in daily).

I'll savour it while it lasts.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Got my win, they can shut the game down now.

Really cool wee thing - one thing I don't understand so far though is what picking a course at the start does? I picked 1-3 but I still started on 1-1.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Got my first win.

A few impressions:
  • Any level that ends in 3 sucks (1-3 is particularly bad). There's little solid ground (which means that it's easy to fall into a pit and die instantly), and this, by extension, is not conducive to long enemy chains.
  • I feel that chaining enemy kills is overpowered. You can get 60+ seconds on the clock with a good Koopa chain. Maybe have the amount of time given for killing an enemy increase by 1 for each 3 or so enemy kills (instead of 1 for each enemy kill).
  • In addition, 1-2 is really good because you get to choose which level you exit via Warp Zone.
  • I really like how Fire Flowers are balanced - it makes killing enemies easy, but enemies that you kill by fire give less time then if you'd kill them via normal means.

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Won my first game, did what I read here somewhere, went back in 1-1 after 1-2, had also a flower, played carefully not to lose it, it was a matter of time.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Got my first win.

A few impressions:
  • I feel that chaining enemy kills is overpowered. You can get 60+ seconds on the clock with a good Koopa chain. Maybe have the amount of time given for killing an enemy increase by 1 for each 3 or so enemy kills (instead of 1 for each enemy kill).

This is what got me my win - one of the Koopa's on 1-1 was next to an insane chain of other enemies. I had over 100 seconds left by the time 2nd place timed out.

Starvald

Mar 24, 2020
I just can't get into how Mario controls. After playing too much Super Mario Maker 2, it's very hard to go back to the originals controls.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Can't imagine the game will just disappear into the ether in March unless the playerbase just dies.

I'm thinking Nintendo adds SMB2, 3 and World. There's your $59.99 game. This is just the beta version of that. It's free until March, then pay us please.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Got my third win in a row:

120345799_2827495767526771_8457393212517652129_o.jpg

Really enjoying this, a few balancing issues notwithstanding.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't imagine the game will just disappear into the ether in March unless the playerbase just dies.

I'm thinking Nintendo adds SMB2, 3 and World. There's your $59.99 game. This is just the beta version of that. It's free until March, then pay us please.

They had no problem removing four sword anniversary edition forever, I wouldn't bet on that at all.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
It's an amazing game, and a bit easier to get number 1 than with Tetris 99 lol!

As I said in the other thread, you can download it with a Japanese account if it's not in your region yet!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
They should add a more direct way of attacking others. Like if you hold down the button you can spend all of your coins for an attack. The more coins you spend the worse the attack.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how the timer works. I get extra time for defeating enemies but then the final music starts playing and I stop getting time? What triggers that?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't get how the timer works. I get extra time for defeating enemies but then the final music starts playing and I stop getting time? What triggers that?

I think it's based upon the number of players left alive, that way two people don't get stuck in a never ending match.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm not having fun right now but I'll keep playing to see if it clicks. Tetris 99 hooked me in 1 second.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
When it gets down to the last 2-3 players this game gets really boring. The game doesn't seem to have a good way of pushing the action the way Tetris 99 does (making the blocks fall extremely fast). I've seen more people die to falling off the stage or timing out then actually getting a KO near the end, neither of which is particularly satisfying for anyone involved.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It does feel like the final few players keep the match going on too long, and it's not who is best at attacking but who messes up falls into a hole first or something.

The timer needs to speed up to ludicrous levels.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
This is super fun but it really reminded me how much I dislike how Super Mario bros. played. Mario just feels so slippery, the momentum is weird and the hitboxes are jank as hell.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed that you can spend coins to start with a Mushroom, Fire Flower or Star on the course select screen - press X to cycle between them.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Won my first, and now got four wins from 25 games. This is heaps of fun, even just running between 1-1 and 1-2 for 80% of the time, it gets a lot better as you unlock more levels too.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
End game feels like it needs a rebalancing. Either speed up the timer or throw loads more enemies. As it is, it can get a bit boring

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
It's also convenient that you don't go too slow and safe on leves, because many other players could get to 1-4 and send you hordes of Bowsers in your 1-2. That's fun!

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Special battle is where its at. It forces a random first stage out of a pool at the start so you'll see more than 1-1 since right now the game is so new most people pick it / have limited stages. Seems the competition is a bit harder there too than the regular 35 mode. I won a few times so far but I've dropped some games just from playing sloppy and being rusty. Couple second places here and there because of that.