• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you prefer the originals or the Super Mario All-Stars versions? (Check all that apply)

• Mario 1 is better on NES

Votes: 209 41.9%
  • Mario The Lost Levels is better on FDS

Votes: 97 19.4%
  • Mario 2 (USA) is better on NES

Votes: 121 24.2%
  • Mario 3 is better on NES

Votes: 219 43.9%
  • NONE OF THE ABOVE - Everything is better in Super Mario All-Stars!

Votes: 222 44.5%

• Total voters

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the Advance versions just straight up ports of the Allstar versions or did they change anything?

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I replay SMB3 every few years and I usually opt for either the All-Stars version or the GBA release.

I grew up with the NES SMB3, but I dig having the enhanced graphics and not having the right-hand scrolling visual glitches on modern TVs.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
If they rerelease All-Stars, give me the option to change the music between classic and remake version.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm giving it to the NES version of Mario 1 due to the brick physics.

Everything else, All-Stars. Even Lost Levels which has the same problem, but an actual save system.

Are the Advance versions just straight up ports of the Allstar versions or did they change anything?
The first Advance game, SMB2 is super different. Adds a scoring system, changes level layouts, new collectibles, that sort of thing.

SMB3 adds a bunch of levels through the eReader (which are all unlocked from the start on the Wii U Virtual Console version), but other than that I recall the core game being mostly the same as the All-Stars version with some minor tweaks here and there. Like all the other Advance ports it adds the obnoxious Charles Martinet sound clips but what can you do (besides mod it if you're playing on an emulator!).

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I prefer the All-Stars versions. I played the NES originals first, but the updated SNES graphics are better to me.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They were mostly based on the All-Stars versions, but they did change/add some stuff on a per-game basis. I think the GBA version of World just lets you swap to Luigi, for an example.

Not to mention everyone's favorite additions:

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember how the NES versions play, so the mechanic differences are lost on me.

I had them but at a certain point, it was just nothing but Mario all-stars.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I bought the original version on the Wii VC and I found it to be much more enjoyable and ultimately rewarding.

The levels are designed with the physics exactly as they are in the NES version. Screwing that up ultimately bleeds into the rest of the game play.

That said, having to beat it 8 times to get the last four worlds was silly. But by the end of it I could do a playthrough pretty darn quickly.
Dang, I have to play the original now. :P

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the All Stars versions of everything except SMB3. That one sugar coated a lot of the aesthetic choices in the latter worlds, especially the last one.

Oct 25, 2017
smb3_w1-5.png

beautiful

smas-smb3_w1-5.png

no
Imagine actual underground levels having caves instead of stars simply unheard of. /s

I'll take All-Stars versions of 3 any day. The Airship backgrounds and music alone puts it over the NES versions.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
1 and 2 are better on All Stars. 3 is better on NES. I just like the Mario 3 aesthetic too much. It was my goto in Mario Maker.

All Stars SMB1 has some really pretty levels, particularly the snow and nighttime stages. And for 2, the allstars version is the only version of 2 I played as a child, so it's where my nostalgia lies.

Oct 25, 2017
Yx4mu5x.gif
allstars4.png

vs.

Super-Mario-Bros-3-large-141.jpg
images

Throw some scan-lines on it and it looks a thousands time better than the NES version. The SMB remake would have been better as well if they didn't muck up the physics when you hit a brick.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
All-Stars beats them all. It's what I'm used to, I was a Commodore gamer and never had a NES, I started my console gaming with SNES and All-Stars was bundled with the console.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
SMB1 and TLL have messed up physics. In particular, going through a brick block when you break it, instead of bouncing back, is a really horrible change.
The graphical differences between SMB1 and TLL are lost. In fact the graphical changes are for the worst overall - in particular, turning the overworld into grassy plains instead of dry lands.
SMB2 and SMB3 have better physics but I just think the new graphics don't match the charm of the originals. In particular, changing World 8 in SMB3 from a monochrome world to a forest is a garbage change.

DLH

Oct 25, 2017
I knew there was something wrong with the physics in the All-Stars version of SMB1, so I'm glad it's so well documented and agreed on. However, other than the physics bug, I think I like the All-Stars versions the best.

Bill Rizer

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
All Stars blew me away when it came out (and I was 13 years old), but I have to admit it didn't age well.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I like everything except maybe SMB1 and Lost Levels better in All-Stars.

SMB2 and 3 graphics are just too dated on the NES.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I used to be an All-Stars man but after spending hours playing around with the SMB1 and 3 tile sets in Mario Maker, I kinda fell in love with their aesthetic and now I think I prefer the originals.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Yx4mu5x.gif
allstars4.png

vs.

Super-Mario-Bros-3-large-141.jpg
images

Throw some scan-lines on it and it looks a thousands time better than the NES version. The SMB remake would have been better as well if they didn't muck up the physics when you hit a brick.

The visuals for the water levels are definitely better in All-Stars, but by making the water transparent it ruins the feeling of the Jaws-like shark fin poking out of the water hunting you down.

As for the other image, I genuinely prefer the original's flat "theater prop" aesthetic compared to the bulbous blocks in SMAS.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the All Stars versions:

SMB1: pretty much missed the mark completely, stylistically and with physics. yeah the physics are minor but you have to be 1:1 here, it's SMB1 we're talking about

SMB2: perfect fit for the 16-bit treatment. the one version i would say is definitive

SMB3: caught somewhere in between. the graphical flourishes are off-beat in places, work in others. still ultimately prefer the original but you can't go too wrong with this version either

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the NES games but I will say that I liked All Stars and had a lot of fun finishing those games. Somehow they all felt easier on the SNES.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Graphically in general the All-Stars versions looked better, but the NES ones played better, the All Stars ones aren't bad and one can easily get used to but yeah.

It's weird, because it's apparently super-easy to fix. (Hitting bricks has a "vacuum" effect that sucks Mario upward instead of knocking him down faster, IIRC.) It seems to be a bug, that they either never corrected, or just liked better that way.

I like most of the improvements to Mario 3, but hate that they got rid of the "Dark World" aesthetic at the end of the levels, and the things they did to the actual Dark World.

y8jQAnU.png

(From: https://themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_nes2smas.shtml )

It was so cool getting to the last world, and hitting a level almost entirely composed of that stark "line art" style, like this has been what Mario's been running toward all this time.

Note that in the All Stars version if in 8-1 you fly high you can see there're stars above the flora.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
NES is so hard to go back to unlike SNES. The art styles for All Stars are better, IMO.

... I prefer the GBA versions, regardless.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the thing is that the Super Mario Bros. 3 SMAS graphics look good, they're just not very respectful of the original style and tone. I'd forgotten about the ice cavern change.

It's not entirely related, but I hate how they greyed out the palette of SMW on GBA to try to combat the original's lack of backlight. They did it with SMB2 as well, but it was REALLY noticeable here.

Agh, forgot how bad the audio changes were, too.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Look at that carefully designed abstract scenery, with its otherworldly undergound starry background.

Clearly though, it was meant to represent GENERIC-ASS DIRT.

I can only assume that the unpaid interns that worked on All-Stars were later on put in charge of the New Super Mario Bros games.
Imagine actual underground levels having caves instead of stars simply unheard of. /s

I'll take All-Stars versions of 3 any day. The Airship backgrounds and music alone puts it over the NES versions.

Pretty sure the background isn't supposed to be interpreted as stars. The cave walls are sparkly with shiny gems and metallic ore.

it's not an ice level, that is the underground look for SMB3
Aye, it's more like crystal or stone. Which makes sense since lots of caves are limestone and granite.

There are dirt ones, too:
XWjlyQO.png

and ice:
BjvKUtU.png

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer the All Stars versions of SMB2 and SMB3 over the originals.

The physics bug in SMB1 and Lost Levels ruins those, however. I can never play them as well as I can the original versions.

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
How do the Switch NES versions fit into all this? Are they 100% emulations of the NES versions + save states or have they been messed about with too?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
SMB3 is beautiful and distinctive on the NES, looks like 'any old Mario game' in the all-stars version.

All-stars is like NSMB - general Mario pastiche, lacking in character. Functional, but not great.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I actually prefer Super Mario All-Stars to original SMB3, to be honest. However, I feel that controls in water feel off and actually worse than original. Also the underwater levels are little too dark now.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
While I prefer the NES versions, I don't hate the All-Stars versions of SMB2 USA and SMB3.

The less said about the All-Stars versions of SMB1 and SMB2 the better however.