• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is actually a perfect subject for real time reflections given how the Mario 64 renders were a flex of SGI's offline rendered reflections in the 90s. Looking forward to trying this in combination with the Render96 mod when 30xx series cards become available years from now.

Darío

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I'm not really concerned by the negative impressions in the thread. Feel free to dislike it all you want.

The intention is pretty much to look like a primitive 90s render, to the point I'm actually using rendering algorithms from that era (e.g. phong shading), and some people just aren't gonna dig it. It's pretty much expected.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's an amazing time to be alive for sure. I came across this a few weeks ago and blown away. I'm really hoping we start to see remakes / releases with some of this at minimum.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
By the way, I'm not really concerned by the negative impressions in the thread. Feel free to dislike it all you want.

The intention is pretty much to look like a primitive 90s render, to the point I'm actually using rendering algorithms from that era (e.g. phong shading), and some people just aren't gonna dig it. It's pretty much expected.
Any plans to try combining it with something like Render96?

Mar 10, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Other Members

I seriously can't stand how this forum shits all over any community-made attempt to mod a game. No one's forcing you to add these mods to your official game. Nor is anyone saying that Nintendo should adopt these graphical styles. It's just something neat that a fan decided to do with their spare time. But I know creativity is an alien concept to a lot of y'all who just spend your time spewing shit on these boards. Annoying fucks.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is just like the industry's obsession with lens flares in the early 2000s and then bloom in the late 2000s.

"Slap that shit on everything!"
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Also this is a mod, game industry has nothing to do with this effort.

You're doing fine work, friend.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Man I hate that stage.

I seriously can't stand how this forum shits all over any community-made attempt to mod a game. No one's forcing you to add these mods to your official game. Nor is anyone saying that Nintendo should adopt these graphical styles. It's just something neat that a fan decided to do with their spare time. But I know creativity is an alien concept to a lot of y'all who just spend your time spewing shit on these boards. Annoying fucks.

I was unaware that modding by fans was some very special artistic expression that is above critique, making it different from literally every other form of art on the planet.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think my issue with the video is it makes WDW waaaay too dark compared to how it usually is.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is just like the industry's obsession with lens flares in the early 2000s and then bloom in the late 2000s.

"Slap that shit on everything!"

Especially true once you notice it literally makes the underwater collectables impossible to see due to the distortion when your above water. Not a great feature for a 3d collection.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017

it really does look the part of playing a CGI render, excluding the low resolution textures from the game

Also cool 21:9 monitor

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
It's ugly because it's hyper reflective lube "water" in the cartoon world of Mario.

Generally speaking, I admire the technical achievement, but RT does not always result in realistic or even pleasing results. An indoor pool of water with that much splashing about doesn't reflect that way.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the contrast between the low-poly models and environments and a more realistic lightning engine. It's cool that we're able to explore new graphics tech with classic titles.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Yeah, I think you need to chill.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

That's exactly why it looks great. Because it looks close to what a Mario 64 CGI render would look like. I hope it'll work with Render96.
Keep up the good work.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Tbh I actually don't think it looks bad for what it is. I would be curious to see how something like this looks with the Render96 models.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This actually was pretty neat to watch!
The video is a dig at people who see mario in unreal engine with realistic graphics and say dumb shit like "this is what Nintendo should be making!"

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
lmao chill out

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. It's amazing what ray tracing adds to primitive visuals.

To be honest, I find these old games with ray racing way more impressive than brand new ones. The improvement is obvious immediately.

When I see a new game with ray tracing, I need a side-by-side video to see the difference, and even then I'm like, "eh". Not because the ray tracing isn't impressive, but just because the non-ray traced lighting looks great too.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
One step closer to those old uncanny CG renders in playable form

Metal_Mario_%28alt%29_-_Super_Mario_64.png

Couple that with the CG model mods ...
this is literally all i want out of raytracing.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Looks great. It's amazing what ray tracing adds to primitive visuals.
Yeah. Technology like raytracing is just fantastic.

Blows my mind that raytracing just kinda solves lighting in games lol, its almost a true simulation of lighting in real life. I wonder how games will look once we solve other problems that we cant simulate yet in games, like fluids.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Someone mentioned Doom 3, I think that is actually going to be the next Quake II style refashion they roll out. I mean it just makes too much sense and I think that Doom is open sourced now anyway.

What I would really love tho is Half Life 1. Add in the flares from Black Mesa as well.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Looks pretty natural to me, although I know the N64 would catch on fire if it even thought about rendering that. The GI is probably even nicer in the cave section.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
It somehow makes the game look shittier lol. Maybe it's because the RT is used with crappy old water effects.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think this looks really cool.

I'm really into low poly stuff mixed with realistic lighting. Like the Minecraft stuff, too.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
I know. And I have no idea why it was posted in this thread.
So you can't see how a connection could possibly be made between a Mario model out of place in a realistic environment and Mario 64 with realistic water reflections?
Is this as bad as the example in the song? No, but it's a semi-relevant joke and you're the only one with a long enough stick up their ass to cry about it and resort to insults. No one is shitting on the modding community here. It's just a good song, Wrapped in Black.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
The reflections and lighting are cool but they do clash with the shitty ass textures so overall it looks like shit. Adding Ray tracing to old stuff works better with flat shading.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
It looks nice right up until the point lights from the fire and lightning enemies. I think possibly because all the surfaces seemingly have uniform roughness, so they just appear as weird uniform coloured glows.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Silicon Graphics spinning in its grave.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This is cool, hope that we get more of this kind of stuff

Quake 2 is awesome fully path traced