• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How should I play Mario 64 again?

• All Stars 3d on Switch

Votes: 231 57.8%
  • Emulated on PC with enhancements

Votes: 143 35.8%
  • Wait until a proper remake comes along

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • On a 3DS

Votes: 15 3.8%

• Total voters

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
All stars on Switch or emulated on PC.

I have played it on the N64 console, emulated it on PC (rom dump - not the PC port release) and played the DS version.

Emulated version I prefer more cause I can save state.

I have 3D All stars pre-ordered but not sure if I'll get it going by Amazon...was going for physical but I might end up going digital.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
there is nothing illegal about the pc version since it only uses assets you give it

if you illegally obtain mario 64, that's on you.
I'm sorry, I thought the PC version being discussed was the recompiled (of stolen copyrighted code) source code. Not emulation. Emulation would run whatever assets you gave it, assuming the rom was legally obtained.
My question was specifically about the recompile.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If you DID want to play the PC version, what's the legit way to get a ROM? Do you basically need to own the original N64 version (and, I don't know, rip it from the cart somehow??!?), or is there a Virtual Console/Switch Online/whatever port that can be used for this purpose?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm a dummy: Wii and Wii U VC.

Oct 27, 2017
By 3DS you mean the DS version? Because the PC port has been ported to 3DS and if you a New 3DS you'll get 16:9. It's very good.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
ah ok this is the decompile project. Where they have been taking compiled code and reverse engineering it to recreate the game. Not the leaked source that has been going around and being recompiled to run on different things, which is far from legal. The above is legal as long as you aren't using any of the copyrited materials with it....which you know. Everyone is.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
there is nothing illegal about the pc version since it only uses assets you give it

if you illegally obtain mario 64, that's on you.

So everyone playing a Mario 64 ROM has somehow connected their original Mario 64 cartridge or N64 system to their computer to create their ROM?

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
ah ok this is the decompile project. Where they have been taking compiled code and reverse engineering it to recreate the game. Not the leaked source that has been going around and being recompiled to run on different things, which is far from legal. The above is legal as long as you aren't using any of the copyrited materials with it....which you know. Everyone is.
Yes, but you don't know if everyone is dumping their own n64 games or not.
It is not recommended to assume this of others.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
If you DID want to play the PC version, what's the legit way to get a ROM? Do you basically need to own the original N64 version (and, I don't know, rip it from the cart somehow??!?), or is there a Virtual Console/Switch Online/whatever port that can be used for this purpose?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm a dummy: Wii and Wii U VC.
Technically the only legit way to own a rom is to do the backup yourself. It's not legal to download or distribute roms made by others.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, but you don't know if everyone is dumping their own n64 games or not.
It is not recommended to assume this of others.
They aren't. No one is doing new backups of cart games (N64 specifically). You need such specific hardware (and software) to do it that it's just not happening. Especially when the existing roms are so easy to find and download.
You are right to not assume things though. OP should clarify if they have the means of taking a sm64 cart and backing it up for use with the PC decompile project. Otherwise, we shouldn't be suggesting it as an option.

But I'm getting too far off topic. I wont derail the thread anymore than I have.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Technically the only legit way to own a rom is to do the backup yourself. It's not legal to download or distribute roms made by others.

Right, what I meant was what's the best way to generate that backup. Definitely not looking to distribute or download a ROM from a non-legit source.

I'm getting the Switch version anyways so I guess as long as it's good enough it won't really matter to me. Never played these games before so I'm sure it'll be okay.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm sorry, I thought the PC version being discussed was the recompiled (of stolen copyrighted code) source code. Not emulation. Emulation would run whatever assets you gave it, assuming the rom was legally obtained.
My question was specifically about the recompile.
The recompile is legal and unrelated to the leaks. It's reverse engineered from the existing binaries and doesn't contain any trade secrets or copyrighted assets, the latter of which you have to provide yourself.
So everyone playing a Mario 64 ROM has somehow connected their original Mario 64 cartridge or N64 system to their computer to create their ROM?
it's not our place to go around slinging accusations at folks (and is also bannable). it's possible and not overly difficult to export legally obtained versions of the game with modded Wii/Wii U hardware, so there's no reason to accuse others of not doing so.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mupen64plus-next core in Retroarch with the pixel perfect RSP + RDP plug-ins are by far the most authentic way to play the game outside of original hardware. Emulation with higher internal resolutions as well as the PC port just don't look right.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's not our place to go around slinging accusations at folks (and is also bannable). it's possible and not overly difficult to export legally obtained versions of the game with modded Wii/Wii U hardware, so there's no reason to accuse others of not doing so.

People in general just don't seem to acknowledge the extra work required to have a legal ROM of the game. Honestly I forgot about the VC ports, but even then anytime someone chimes in with 'PC version is better' it still is asking someone to go through a much more complicated process on top of already buying the game versus the much easier task of just buying the DS/Switch or VC versions outright.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
PC port is going to look and run the best, plus you've got lots of modding options. Emulation via the Mupen64Plus-Next core with downsampling to the original resolution + a nice CRT filter gives a very nice look as well and is a good alternative. So my answer is: PC.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
PC port, and emulated on Dolphin for Sunshine and Galaxy, for that matter.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The best way to experience Mario 64 is rubbing the N64 cartridge directly on your forehead. You can absorb the experience quickly and efficiently.

May 15, 2019
The unofficial PC port has so many options to update that game. I absolutely love the look of the SGI mod, but even if you don't there's plenty of enhancements like 60fps, widescreen and uncapped draw distance that I can't imagine anyone not liking. Makes Nintendo's port look like an embarrassment.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Obv don't have the collection yet as it's not out, but based on reviews:

1) If you want to have the closest experience to how someone would have played it in '96 (albeit with a few bells and whistles) go with with switch
2) If you want it to look and play as good as it's likely to, get the pc version with the camera mod

Ignore anyone who says DS, it has awful controls.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Just play it on Switch, it's looking good.
Play 64 DS in the future if you're interested, but don't use it as your "my first time playing Mario 64". There's no analog stick on a DS, so the movement is kinda crappy.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Also if you want BLJ and have a Wii U handy, buy the VC version and pull the rom from that instead of dumping the one in all-stars.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'd go with the 3D All-Stars version out of sheer convenience personally and I think the up-rez looks nice despite the lack of widescreen and any major visual overhauls, but I'm also not a PC gamer at all so I'm admittedly a little biased against that answer.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
The most legal way to play the compiled version on PC is to buy a N64 cart dumper, dump your own copy and use that rom to compile it, right?

What's the best N64 cart dumper?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Honestly that PC port is probably the best way to play it. But IMO it should be experienced without any enhancements. Maaaaybe the camera one and 60 FPS ones, but that's it.

Back when the PC port first came out and it had only minimal enhancements like widescreen, I played it. I was intending to play it for 5 or 10 minutes, but the port was just so good that I got all 120 stars in a day and a half lol.

The most legal way to play the compiled version on PC is to buy a N64 cart dumper, dump your own copy and use that rom to compile it, right?

What's the best N64 cart dumper?
You can also dump it from virtual console versions with a tool like this.