• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
ps2, vita, 3ds, wii u (and more) and now android!

www.xda-developers.com

Super Mario 64 can be natively run on Android without a Nintendo 64 emulator

Thanks to an open source project, it is now possible to actually compile and play Super Mario 64 on your Android phone without an emulator!

What's neat is that your phone can natively compile and build the apk, so you dont even need a pc. Took me about 20 mins to get it setup.

EiZOJkKXgAEA_zL

Works with bluetooth controllers too!

now the question is if I should do my first ever mario 64 playthrough on my phone, pc, or the 3d all stars collection I bought on friday...

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
For some reason i can see SM64 work really well with a Playstation controller... I kinda want to play it now.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
Tried today, works great and it is awesome to see the game using the whole 2400 x 1080 ultra wide display of my phone at native res.

Oct 25, 2017
That's cause the Switch one isn't a port, it's the N64 game emulated with some textures replaced.

I expect the fans to port Mario 64 to the Switch eventually, if they haven't already.

Non-official emulators can already change the resolution, so Nintendo can absolutely emulate 64 in widescreen. They just didn't because that's more effort/money than they wanted to put into this. They know they can just sell it bare bones and make a fortune.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looks like mario 64 is gonna replace linux as the first thing people port to new devices.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People were defending the Allstars collection emulation arguing that emulation can look so great when it doesn't even include typical emulation enhancements😅

Meanwhile the decomp homebrew ports also put the collections efforts on SM64 too shame on nearly every front.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Damn, amazing how the SM64 on All stars keeps getting put to shame. Wish Nintendo did something like this.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This decomp project really took off. We got the next Doom in our hands ports wise.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice... But dammit, Snapdragon 865 can't handle Render96 60fps/no draw distance without dropping frames.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
For some reason i can see SM64 work really well with a Playstation controller... I kinda want to play it now.
It works great, better than an N64 controller in some ways. I like the camera buttons being bound to the right stick, feels very modern. I play it all the time on my hacked Playstation Classic with a DS4.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I tried following the steps to compile my own build but failed miserably :(
Gonna try again later, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's at Step 4 in that guide.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Has anyone done a play through in some of these wide-screen resolutions?

I feel like I can imagine weird clipping and camera issues arising from it, seeing things you're not supposed to see etc. but depending on how the camera works I guess it might be fine..

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
People out there porting the game to all the platforms and Nintendo be like "pls buy our emulated version"

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone done a play through in some of these wide-screen resolutions?

I feel like I can imagine weird clipping and camera issues arising from it, seeing things you're not supposed to see etc. but depending on how the camera works I guess it might be fine..

There are issues with playing in an aspect ratio larger than 4:3.

The file select screen for instance is pretty much locked to a 4:3 ratio.

All of the transitions and canon aim view as well. You'll notice that there are often glitches outside the 4:3 area.

Oct 27, 2017
What all these threads praising this source port of Mario 64 (which is totally deserved!) forget to mention is

1. that you need the ROM of the game to make this work, since you require the assets of the game and they can't be distributed because they are copyrighted
2. that you need to extract the ROM yourself from a copy of the game you have purchased and
3. how to do this.

This gives the impression that just downloading the files is enough, when it's not. You will need, at least, a Wii or Wii U if you're going for the cheapest options that doesn't involve ripping the ROM from an actual N64. And you'll definitely need a PC to set up the files required to softmod those consoles, extract the ROM and put it on your phone.

People out there porting the game to all the platforms and Nintendo be like "pls buy our emulated version"

Well, given the fact that you need to have bought an emulated version to use this, it's also good for Nintendo, right?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
seeing mario 64 widescreen running on that switch makes me so unreasonably angry about the port we got officially lol

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
If you already own All-Stars I'm not sure why you'd choose to play it on a phone. That touch interface alone

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Justifying piracy
What all these threads praising this source port of Mario 64 (which is totally deserved!) forget to mention is

1. that you need the ROM of the game to make this work, since you require the assets of the game and they can't be distributed because they are copyrighted
2. that you need to extract the ROM yourself from a copy of the game you have purchased and
3. how to do this.

This gives the impression that just downloading the files is enough, when it's not. You will need, at least, a Wii or Wii U if you're going for the cheapest options that doesn't involve ripping the ROM from an actual N64. And you'll definitely need a PC to set up the files required to softmod those consoles, extract the ROM and put it on your phone.

There's really no need to be so obtuse about it. If you own the game who cares where you get the ROM of it from. Why should you spend hundreds of pounds to create your own ROM dump when the first result on Google lets you download a file which is identical to one that would have otherwise created. No one should feel bad or guilty about that.