• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As many have said it probably caused an issue somewhere in the game and Nintendo is all about accuracy. It could have been as small as some clipping in one of the fixed camera angle rooms and Nintendo wouldn't have been happy with it.

This is total bullshit. The PC version runs in 16:9 with zero visual issues. It's not some hypothetical thing.

The real and only reason is that it required more effort than Nintendo was willing to expend.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
This is total bullshit. The PC version runs in 16:9 with zero visual issues. It's not some hypothetical thing.

The real and only reason is that it required more effort than Nintendo was willing to expend.
Have you combed over every single part of the game in widescreen while comparing it to the original to confirm there are zero issues?
Nintendo is updating textures in 64 and put widescreen in Sunshine, so there very likely could have been something with widescreen 64 that they weren't happy with and how you feel about widescreen 64 is irrelevant to that. To definitively state with zero knowledge of the development of this collection that the only reason is laziness is the actual bullshit.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, we don't know yet - but it didn't look that way from the snippets and I don't expect them to have changed anything beyond resolution and textures at this point.
i guess smoother camera would be a give away

Was there enough kind of footage that we'd be able to sell if there's a smoother camera or not? I thought I saw a post saying the poster had the impression the camera may have changed to become smoother (for areas where you'd have camera control) but xyla, were there parts that made it look to you like the traditional button-press-by-degrees camera?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Was there enough kind of footage that we'd be able to sell if there's a smoother camera or not? I thought I saw a post saying the poster had the impression the camera may have changed to become smoother (for areas where you'd have camera control) but xyla, were there parts that made it look to you like the traditional button-press-by-degrees camera?

I don't think the camera was adjusted/controlled in any way in the footage that we got so far - that's why I came around to "we don't know yet".
It all seemed like the normal camera that isn't touched by the player to me.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Have you combed over every single part of the game in widescreen while comparing it to the original to confirm there are zero issues?
Nintendo is updating textures in 64 and put widescreen in Sunshine, so there very likely could have been something with widescreen 64 that they weren't happy with and how you feel about widescreen 64 is irrelevant to that. To definitively state with zero knowledge of the development of this collection that the only reason is laziness is the actual bullshit.
As many have said it probably caused an issue somewhere in the game and Nintendo is all about accuracy. It could have been as small as some clipping in one of the fixed camera angle rooms and Nintendo wouldn't have been happy with it.
Increasing FoV can't cause clipping issues by definition as long as the camera position is still within the level geometry (which is always for Mario 64 iirc). Also, there have been widecreen mods for Mario 64 long before the new PC port so you can easily look up footage of the fixed camera position parts just fine: https://youtu.be/H0WXsRkAEvI?t=2422

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the camera was adjusted/controlled in any way in the footage that we got so far - that's why I came around to "we don't know yet".
Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. I'm just still holding out hope that the camera will be smooth.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
During the Dorrie clip in this video, you can hear the camera movement sound; seems to be just like in the original unfortunately.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
720p is exactly 9x of 240p, so I guess they retained that bordered resolution in both modes because they consider it better to retain the pixel ratio exactly the same than to push it to 1080p. The next resolution up with the perfect ratio from 240p is 1440p.

Looks like it was decided to religiously retain the look of the original with the exception of it being a lot cleaning with some minor touchups.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Is the 30fps a technical issue? Like are many animations locked to 30 in a lot of situations or something?

while I'm not sure about SM64 I know for a fact upping the N64 Zelda games' framerate murders the physics and makes them unplayable. It took tons of tweaking to get them to be 30 on 3DS and that was a remake. I wouldn't be surprised if SM64 was the same way, which is why it's silly that a lot of folk are stunned they wouldn't alter a remaster in that fashion, because of course they wouldn't without ground up work.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
With the absolutely massive list of improvements the Zelda series did for a NUMBER of its 3D titles, it's reaaally disappointing the Mario port is so bare bones.

My excitement. I am whelmed.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
With the absolutely massive list of improvements the Zelda series did for a NUMBER of its 3D titles, it's reaaally disappointing the Mario port is so bare bones.

This is basically it for me, I've been thinking on it since the announcement, it's weird to see Nintendo treat it's mascot like this.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Folks didn't like running around New Donk City with this skin? Try it out, it's pretty fun.
u9yyo8jiesp5sh5a3uc3.jpg

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Exactly, and that's the problem. These should be remakes.

We're getting minimally-improved content at a higher price than we did for games that were totally rebuilt from the ground up. That's fucked up

Nah. Galaxy absolutely did not need a remake. An HD remaster is all that was needed and the majority of people would have been very happy with that.

Sunshine also is fine with an HD remaster but it needed QOL changes -- i.e. the level of effort given to Wind Waker.

64 can go either way. I've seen plenty of people say they want a remake and plenty of people say they wanted the original game. But more effort absolutely should have been done here, either way.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather Nintendo do literally anything else than spend time and energy on a full-on remake

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
You can see how small the actual Boo texture was in the original version of that level. That shows clearly that the one in the trailer was based on some source quality version because there are details you can't even see in the original.
Unfortunately, the texture improvements seem inconsistent. Another trailer shows the paintings and comparing them to the original textures, they don't look much better. The skybox isn't improved either. But at least the UI is.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Is this still 4:3? They showed sunshine and galaxy being widescreen but is Mario 64?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Each of the Zelda titles was a separate full priced release with years of development each. This is a bundle of three games. Of course you're not getting the same level of effort on a per title basis from Nintendo in those two situations.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Each of the Zelda titles was a separate full priced release with years of development each. This is a bundle of three games. Of course you're not getting the same level of effort on a per title basis from Nintendo in those two situations.

They deserve the added effort, though. Mario is Nintendo's poster boy – this feels a little half-assed and the limited availability is salt in the wound. It's still an exciting and anticipated release...but it could have been waaaay more.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Nah. Galaxy absolutely did not need a remake. An HD remaster is all that was needed and the majority of people would have been very happy with that.

Sunshine also is fine with an HD remaster but it needed QOL changes -- i.e. the level of effort given to Wind Waker.

64 can go either way. I've seen plenty of people say they want a remake and plenty of people say they wanted the original game. But more effort absolutely should have been done here, either way.

Yeah, all I wanted were 1080p/60fps widescreen ports with control-mapping and Gamecube controller support.

Not sure if this is confirmed emulation, but I'm definitely disappointed in what I've seen so far.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
720p is exactly 9x of 240p, so I guess they retained that bordered resolution in both modes because they consider it better to retain the pixel ratio exactly the same than to push it to 1080p. The next resolution up with the perfect ratio from 240p is 1440p.

Looks like it was decided to religiously retain the look of the original with the exception of it being a lot cleaning with some minor touchups.
Why would integer scaling matter for a 3D game?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'd rather Nintendo do literally anything else than spend time and energy on a full-on remake

I would have loved the level of energy that was into OoT 3D. Huge QoL improvements and they managed to improve the graphics while staying true to the original feeling and artwork of the game.

And that we just got the PC wrapper that shows howivh you can do with the game. And I don't mean the texture jobs that are hit or miss for me. it shows that it's possible to get 16:9 an improved camera and stuff like further lod and the removal of the low poly mario model - and it runs on the Switch and I think also the 3ds?

Something like this was in the cards and for other gaming companies like Sega or ID who have a pretty good communication to modding teams it could have improved the in house port.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
The effort it would take to remodel every asset in 64 with more complex geometry, and the new rigging it would require for animations, is a far different beast than redrawing the Super Mario Bros. 1 sprites for an SNES game.
The thing is that there is already an official version of Mario 64 that has redone models and textures that is the DS version. I would love to see a port of the DS version with proper analog controls someday even if very little is done to improve it graphically.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
the DS version actually simplified a lot of the geometry

it definitely looks better overall thanks to stronger art direction and a smaller display, though

Jun 2, 2019
The thing is that there is already an official version of Mario 64 that has redone models and textures that is the DS version. I would love to see a port of the DS version with proper analog controls someday even if very little is done to improve it graphically.

It didn't look as slick as the original imo

The models themselves along with the unfiltered textures and unsaturatedcolors gave Mario 64 a chunky aesthetic the original version never had.

I played SM64 DS to completion, it was interesting to see, but it wasn't pretty.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Joke? This is not a full-on remake. It's basically an enhanced port, or a remaster at best. But, either way, the game doesn't need to be 16:9. It was designed for 4:3 displays and plays fine just like that.

Edit: You can stop quoting me. Yes, this port is a joke. Yes, the fan-made source port has all the bells and whistles. Yes, don't buy this version of this game.

Edit 2: Seeing the reaction of the community to this port, now I realize I was horrible wrong on my take here. It wasn't my intention to defend a disgusting, shameful port made by a multibillion dollar company.
Shameful port lmao? You've changed your entire stance because other people can't just deal with the fact that it's a straight conversion from N64 and is exactly everything that it needs to be?

It isn't a remake. It isn't a reimagining. It's SM64... On Nintendo Switch. It isn't "Super Mario Switch-sty Four".

Heavens above

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like they took out the "so long King (gay) Bowser" line so this may end up being a downgrade

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You can see how small the actual Boo texture was in the original version of that level. That shows clearly that the one in the trailer was based on some source quality version because there are details you can't even see in the original.
Unfortunately, the texture improvements seem inconsistent. Another trailer shows the paintings and comparing them to the original textures, they don't look much better. The skybox isn't improved either. But at least the UI is.
I mean you never know the age of the trailer, not everything could be final(supposedly this was originally supposed to reveal at e3 so tack on 2 more months for the date of the footage) not that I expect a huge difference

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Gay bowser might be something added in post on the videos shown.

Until we see ingame footage it, there's still a chance lol

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wasn't it discovered that OoT3D was actually a port rather than a remake? I remember there being some sort of hack or exploit that proved some part of code was identical to the original. My memory's fuzzy on it, and Googling it ain't easy (Wikipedia seems to think it's a port for what it's worth).

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Wasn't it discovered that OoT3D was actually a port rather than a remake? I remember there being some sort of hack or exploit that proved some part of code was identical to the original. My memory's fuzzy on it, and Googling it ain't easy (Wikipedia seems to think it's a port for what it's worth).
It was a complete recompilation of the code from what I understand. It was reworked with some of the old Speedrunning techniques still in the game.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Why would integer scaling matter for a 3D game?
It matters for some but Nintendo never cared about that kind of things. The scaling (and so image quality) they use on some of their Pal consoles (N64, Gamecube and even to some extent Wii) is the worst I have seen on all consoles I own.

Perhaps they did for this version, though. Otherwise, could they just push the game to a bordered 1080p when docked?

Anyway, the game has a clean but blocky low-poly look to it, and I assume they wanted to have. I was initially disappointed, but I now think it works for this game.

I would have loved the level of energy that was into OoT 3D. Huge QoL improvements and they managed to improve the graphics while staying true to the original feeling and artwork of the game.

And that we just got the PC wrapper that shows howivh you can do with the game. And I don't mean the texture jobs that are hit or miss for me. it shows that it's possible to get 16:9 an improved camera and stuff like further lod and the removal of the low poly mario model - and it runs on the Switch and I think also the 3ds?

Something like this was in the cards and for other gaming companies like Sega or ID who have a pretty good communication to modding teams it could have improved the in house port.
The Zelda releases you're talking about were full remasters that was not part of a collection. OoT's graphics, in particular, also aged a bit worse than Mario 64 due to the artstyle and environment they were going for.