• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked up SM3DW + Bowser's Fury on Switch to play online with my friend. Immediately noticed it was not only laggy as hell (input lag wise) but also super choppy with half second freezes every few moments. I thought I'd finally pony up and get a LAN adapter. So did that and tried again, same shit. I'm on Google Fiber.

My friend is on Wifi but getting 50 down and 25 up so we should be fine. Does anybody else want to cry like I do with this crap? Is there anything to be done?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Played some last night and worked, not perfectly, but was more than playable.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've played with two seperate groups for quite extensive amounts of times and only had one or two drops. Was surprised at how well it worked.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's been fine for me, my friends and mostly fine for all of the streamers I've watched. About as perfectly playable as I could hope for. Make sure everyone is wired.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Had the same experience last night with three friends while all on pretty good internet connections. Honestly it wasn't that bad and we played four complete worlds, but it could definitely be a lot smoother. We adjusted to it though. The only real fuckery happened on that level where the blocks change to the beat of the music. The music slows down as well when it's lagging so it's very disorienting.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
Just saw a stream with ex giantbomb member Dan and his sister play for over 5 hours and they didn't seem to have any issues.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I've experienced a couple minor hiccups, but me and a friend are in the first post-game world and have been doing fine for like 98% of the time. But I can imagine not everyone is experiencing the same quality regardless of their speeds.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Obviously this is a situation where people will have varying results (and Nintendo should be doing far better by now regardless), but I had very few issues both times I've played.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Just picked up SM3DW + Bowser's Fury on Switch to play online with my friend. Immediately noticed it was not only laggy as hell (input lag wise) but also super choppy with half second freezes every few moments. I thought I'd finally pony up and get a LAN adapter. So did that and tried again, same shit. I'm on Google Fiber.

My friend is on Wifi but getting 50 down and 25 up so we should be fine. Does anybody else want to cry like I do with this crap? Is there anything to be done?
Nothing outside of fixing your internet connections in general. If you have high speed downloads, uploads, and ping, then the only issue here is lost packets and networking issues. Unless of course it's an issue with the switch's connection to wifi itself, but if your friend switched to LAN and had the same issue, it'd probably be somewhere in the network itself I'm afraid.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I've learned to expect less than nothing from Nintendo when it comes to online play. Their software is stellar enough that I put up with it but god damn do they need a shakeup in this area. Haven't played this title yet, but I'm going in with the expectation that online will be garbage. I'd love to be wrong though!

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Do you have any issues with the game during single-player? Some people said their experience was choppy while others had a smooth 60fps.

You could always try hard resetting the console I guess. (Hold down the power button for 15 seconds)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It seemed "fine" when I played yesterday, but I haven't played offline yet to properly test, so I'll check it out later.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty clear the reason why most platformers didn't have online before. It's a genre whose online is as demanding as a fighting game but, notably less developers, especially when you account for ones with players that interact with each other. The best you can do is make sure both parties are wired and make sure there aren't any network issues (Ping is more important than down/upload speed)

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've played with full groups on a couple of occasions this weekend and was actually shocked and how near perfect it was.

But, just like Smash and Mario Maker online, it's entirely dependent on your internet. If just one player in the lobby has a bad connection, it will ruin it for everyone. It's not just about bandwidth and speeds, but ping, packet loss, etc. A lot of people have very poor home networks but don't realize it, most online games doctor the experience pretty well to make you not notice.

Nintendo definitely needs to find a new solution but in my experience this weekend via a combination of wired and wireless players it has been surprisingly good.

OP
OP
greekappi

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, ok what about NAT types? We both are at Type B. Anything else we need to check in router settings? Once my friend gets his LAN adapter tomorrow we'll try again. I just can't believe how bad it is.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Honestly, what I've heard/seen about it so far surprises me in terms of how well it seems to be working for people considering Nintendo's history with online performance in their 1st party games.

On the other hand, this is Nintendo, don't buy their stuff for online modes because 9 out of 10 times you'll end up disappointed either because of performance or limited modes, or at least wait for impressions (not that it applies for SM3DW which again seems to work fine for most people).

OP
OP
greekappi

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have any issues with the game during single-player? Some people said their experience was choppy while others had a smooth 60fps.

You could always try hard resetting the console I guess. (Hold down the power button for 15 seconds)
No issues whatsoever in single player. Silky smooth.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Online is Lockstep based, which in brief is game waits for everyone to give a command, and then executes it. Same system as Super Mario Maker 2

What it means is since it waits on everyone's response, the connection will only be as good as the person with the worst connection. If everyone has a good connection, it will be good for everyone, but if only one person has a bad connection, it will be terrible for everyone.

You just need to find the weak link in your group OP.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI

Hey you know I think we had some choppiness when playing the other night. I wasn't sure but now that you say this I'm going to keep my eye on it

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My friend is on Wifi but getting 50 down and 25 up so we should be fine.
that is absolutely not how anything works, at all

bandwidth ≠ stability, dropped packets, ping

you can have a better experience playing online with a stable, wired 1 Mbps connection than with a 1 Gbps connection in where you're dropping half the packets

tell your friend to get a LAN adapter too, in games with lockstep netcode it doesn't matter that you have the best and most stable connection in the planet, if your friend has connectivity problems then it WILL run like shit

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like everyone here is having a fine experience but I'm with you OP. I dealt with it because I really like mario but the input lag was very frustrating. Especially noticeable when you can quickly hop into single player and see first hand how buttery smooth it is in comparison