• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Mario 3D world sits with 64 and Galaxy as the greatest Mario games.

Oddessy lost it's wow factor past the first couple of hours because it over stuffs it's levels with too much collectables which then lead you to grow tired of looking for em, you get bored for spending too much time in the levels long after you past the point of enjoyment and straight up annoyed by the harder too find stars.

3D world is a never ending blast with friends, aside from being a good cooperative activity, the levels are short so you always finish them while your still enjoying them and having less stars feels a lot more manageable.
The challenge and fun comes with the clever ways they hide them and the shenanigans you and your friends have to go through to find them.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
100% OP, glad there are still people that care about tight level design. There is a such a bad trend of gamers not giving a crap about level design, about actual catered gameplay experiences where they just rather run around open world eating crap than doing a perfectly designed level. Nintendo is giving in to this design philosophy and I don't like it.

Odyssey while a great game is one of the worst 3D Mario games, maybe only sunshine is worse. Freedom is good if that freedom leads to constant new content and challenges and the majority of moons in Odyssey are random pointless challenges.

I still thing the Galaxy games are better but 3D world is very close, those are true translations of SMB into 3D.

But...these levels aren't tight in the least. They're too wide. The game was made for multiplayer--most of the complaints from critics on release were about that very thing.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Least favorite 3D Mario game. Don't like the 3D Land level structure on a console. Didn't feel right then, doesn't feel right now.

Although Odyssey has some issues of it's own, i'd much prefer a sequel to that game over a port or sequel to 3D World

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Odyssey 2 needs more difficult platforning sections and better kingdoms to explore. The sand kingdom was the best kingdom by far and truly made me feel like I was playing a sequel to 64.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Is there any feature of the Wii U holding back a Switch port or could it be played just on the tablet no problem? Looking forward to the inevitable port, only Mario game I never played...

There's lots and lots of interactions with the gamepad, including some exclusive levels (not just captain toad ones).
Should require some work to make the game work with a TV only, but I guess it's possible - maybe making those levels portable only - and making spinning substitute blowing the microphone.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah in no dimension it was better than Odyssey. But it's true that it's very underrated. He deserves its place amongst the other good 3D Mario.

wavebeam

Nov 9, 2017
Man what a step down the 3D games were compared to the pinacle that is the Galaxy games.

These days I prefer the extremes of the 3D Land approach on one end and the SM64 approach on the other. The Galaxies are great of course, and they often combine exploration, puzzle solving, and platforming in a way that the other games can't reach, but they also can't, or at least don't, consistently commit to the pure platforming of 3D land or the freedom, exploration, and control of 64.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I remember when 3d world came out a lot of people thought it was a very simple 3d game and were asking why we couldnt get a sequel to 64. Fastforward to now

3d world is great but dont pretend like its amazing. The game has the most brainless level design in the 3d franchise which is mostly piss easy. It made me fall asleep for the most part

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
3D world is the only 3D Mario I didn't 100% complete, so by default, it was the worse 3D Mario. Still very good though.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I remember when 3d world came out a lot of people thought it was a very simple 3d game and were asking why we couldnt get a sequel to 64. Fastforward to now

3d world is great but dont pretend like its amazing. The game has the most brainless level design in the 3d franchise which is mostly piss easy. It made me fall asleep for the most part
And yet somehow they managed to make Odyssey even easier. Talk about bland level design with no challenge... You're talking about Odyssey.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I disagree. The creativity was more diverse and explored in 3D World. Just compare water levels/Snow levels/Sand levels.

I will say, you have me defeated on boss battles though.

It's how it felt to me! Honestly.

"Let's make something that the internet will like. Dark souls in Mario! New York City!"
I disagree. The creativity was more diverse and explored in 3D World. Just compare water levels/Snow levels/Sand levels.

"Let's make something that the internet will like. Dark souls in Mario! New York City!"
3D World's creativity essentially amounts to a bunch of ideas jammed into random levels with no real cohesion to any of it.

Obviously Odyssey is kinda all over the place too, but I think they managed to make everything fit together a lot better there. 3D World just doesn't have anything tying it together, it's just a series of very well designed but ultimately short and disposable levels, and it super shows that it's a sequel to a 3DS game.

It's in the same tier as the NSMB games - it's well made and I'll play it happily and have fun, but it really isn't something to hang your hat on.

Also, I didn't know Dark Souls invented dragons.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last part of your response is pointless, and I'd say the same to you. You like these games, but especially in the case of SM3DW, the game didn't sell well or hit with massive critical acclaim, so maybe you are in the minority.

Not that it matters because the idea that the majority defines quality or how popular anything other than how popular something is is silly.

NSMB has shit level design and looks hideous. Those NSMB games as a whole are poorly-made and a true nadir for Mario platformers.

Nope, the controls of NSMB are some of the best and the additions to them are things I missed going back. I can't stand opinions like yours. "it's factual awful" is such a stupid statement that declares your opinion as objective fact just so you can win.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
And yet somehow they managed to make Odyssey even easier. Talk about bland level design with no challenge... You're talking about Odyssey.
I definitely remember 3d world being easy for a lot longer than odyssey. Odyssey started to require effort from around the 4th world(wood kingdom?), while 3d world took untill world 8

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Nope, 3D Land is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY better, 3D World is basically made for four players, way too big levels and easy platform.

The best is Galaxy, hands down.

[havent's played Odyssey btw and by trailers it never clicked]

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
yup. Please give us a switch port nintendo or 3d world 2 I beg of you

if galaxy got 2 games 3d world deserves 2 too. Fucking fantastic game

also people calling 3d world too easy, have you played the extra levels after the ending...? I recall them getting pretty challenging...

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
It blows my mind there's still no port of it on the Switch considering there's a whole theme of 3D World on Mario Maker 2 and a port of Captain Toad treasure tracker, which is a spin-off of levels that made their debut on 3D World... People is truly missing out.

I have already stated that many times on several different threads but I agree with you, OP. I enjoyed the overall challenge/aesthetic/experience a lot more in 3D World than in Odyssey. Sure, Odyssey has a more epic presentation and all, but idk man, I just had more fun playing through 3D World. Also, the soundtrack is more catchy and memorable with it's Jazzy/Big Band style of music. Odyssey also has some great tunes though, but less memorable. And the post content, infinitely more enjoyable in 3D World. Grabbing 999 moons in Oddysey felt like a massive chore and the post worlds (Mushroom Kingdom, Moon Kingdom) were an absolute dissapointment.

Overall, I enjoyed both games and both are a class on themselves, but 3D World to me was the better game.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

Seriously?

Plains, Desert, Beach, Jungle, Mountain, Ice, Ghost, Lava...

NSMB level settings in 3D is more creative than Odyssey?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
That image made me realize how few 3D mario games exist. And people keep saying that Nintendo releases too many Mario games.
The New Super Mario Bros. series muddies that a bit, but people say that about Zelda too and that gets one mainline title like every five years. Nintendo is very restrained with their top-tier IP compared to games like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed getting annual installments, but Internet trolls always make them out to be some factory churning out nothing but Mario and Zelda games.

That reputation seems to be getting better lately, but I don't know, I also stopped posting on forums where that kind of shit-posting was terribly common.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3D world doesn't have levels that have complete bullshit camera angles that make you die not because of a lack of skill but because the camera isn't built for the level in mind. (Darker Side Road levels in particular)

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I played the game until like the 7th world.
It's obvious SM3DW is multiplayer focused, singleplayer isn't as fun as 3DLand or any 3D Mario. The worst thing is you have to play with at least another person because Nintendo had the amazing idea of locking the final world and level behind collectibles you get by completing every level with all 4 characters. Unless you enjoy playing the same levels 4 times alone.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I think Odyssey is way better than 3D World.
It's really good, though.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I defenitely remember 3d world being easy for a lot longer than odyssey. Odyssey started to require effort from around the 4th world(wood kingdom?), while 3d world took untill world 8
I mean I beat Odyssey and I can't remember it ever getting challenging. 3D World had bonus worlds which make anything in Odyssey look like a Kirby game.

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's missing the awe and wonder of the Galaxy games, but 3D World is still far closer to what I want out of a Mario game than Odyssey. The level design of Odyssey is so terrible. Maybe there are some fun platforming segments tucked away in the void levels, but the actual Kingdoms have zero fun platforming from what I played. Especially the Desert Kingdom.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
In order to work, 3D World had to dumb down player movement so Mario and Co. had to follow 2D rules.

Hell, at least in NSMB, you can still triple jump or wall jump. It doesn't even have that.

That alone ruins it, lol. It was just Nintendo following the NSMB money after the double NSMB DS/Wii success. Instead of something actually new and bold, we got a watered-down Galaxy with the usual, boring NSMB settings. Maybe you had an interesting level theme here and there like the Japanese houses, but that was it.

Thankfully, people spoke with their wallets here. Odyssey 2 is an inevitability at this point.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, OP! And I LOVED Odyssey, one of my GOTYs that year. But 3DWorld is just so frickin charming and so much fun to play. One of the only games that makes me sit in front of the TV with a big stupid grin on my face while playing.

It's also the only reason why I keep my WiiU around.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey has the best moveset in the series with no environments or platforming sections to make use of it.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
I agree. 3D World is pure joy, needs skill, tight level designs, cool mechanics. If odyssey is 97 then this is 98

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even think it's better than 3D Land.
Yeah I'm kind of there. Being designed around multiplayer really hampered the level design in World for me - lots of wide, overly lenient flat platforms while Land was basically the opposite. The game is oozing with creativity, but it's one of the least enjoyable Marios for me to actually play.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your entire assessment. 3D World basically is the perfect distillation of everything about the entire Mario franchise. It's largely linear like the 2D games, but it's also got hidden off-path areas to explore like the 3D ones. At some points it's actually less linear than the Galaxy games.

And every single level shows you something you haven't seen before in any level prior. The game is just constantly giving you new twists. And they play around not just with visuals, but with sound as well in really inspired ways.

To me, it's the best the franchise has ever been.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a 3d mario alright, so it still pretty good, but...

It's the only 3d mario I straight quit out of boredom, shelving it for months until I could do it in co-op mode with people. It suffers for the levels having to be designed to accommodate multiple players, and is easily my least favourite 3d mario other than sunshine.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Opinions...

I find the Galaxy games the best with Odyssey a little behind, then comes 3d Land then 3d world. I have my issues with 64. Very good level structure but hated how Mario controls. I really would like a 64 sequel.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
It's a 3d mario alright, so it still pretty good, but...

It's the only 3d mario I straight quit out of boredom, shelving it for months until I could do it in co-op mode with people. It suffers for the levels having to be designed to accommodate multiple players, and is easily my least favourite 3d mario other than sunshine.
I didn't quit myself but I remember thinking every world "so is the game finally going to start for real now?", and it never got to the point where I felt it required me to even pay attention, while odyssey had this from ice caves and more in sand kingdom.

Last edited:

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
I am sure this game is coming as a port to Switch. It would be nice to also get HD ports of Wii games, Galaxy 1 and 2 as well as Donkey Kong Country Returns.