• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it BS?

The game is 8 years old. Standards change over time. Reviewers change over time. Maybe the person just didn't dig it.

3D World is a known entity. All the information in the world is available for people to augment their decisions.

Some of yall, I swear.

Because it would imply that the game got worse over time. Which is a bit BS when there are remake and remasters that actually do suck more than the originals do to either technical issues or questionable design choices. At the very least, a copy paste of the old review plus an addendum of the changes would have been fine if the game didn't change that much or didn't have glaring technical flaws.

I can articulate my opinions just fine so don't try to paint me as some loon that mindlessly wants good reviews. I thought it was dumb and I perfectly explained why I thought it was dumb too.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the mario games I have ever played this is the one I keep going back to especially with friends and family.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
No one is really freaking out about the score though. People commented on it because it's an outlier score for a certified classic - then people commented on the people that commented to tell them to chill down ...even though they were calm for the most part lol. That's just the way it goes in some of these reviews threads, where the reaction to reactions often is stronger than the initial reaction. Xzbit would be proud.
"I heard you like reactions, so I put reactions to your reactions in your reactions" - Xzibit, Pimp my review thread, 2020

But yeah, I'm mostly referring to the people calling out IGN for only doing it for clicks and stuff haha

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
If it weren't because of Galaxy and Galaxy 2, 3D World would be my favorite 3D Mario of all time.

So good. I'm so excited to revisit it and check Bowser's Fury.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
Do any of the reviews mention if you can play online with strangers? Or is it only people on your friends list?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So down for this. I owned 3D World on Wii U but I didn't put enough time into it really. It deserves another shot.

Any info on average length (in hours) of Bowser's Fury? Looked into a few reviews and didn't see anything.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How's this?

SuperMario3DWorld_BowersFury_BowsersFury_Intro_BG.jpg
That's good! Even better in a way as the image is more complete (there's more stuff wuch as bowser's legs in the water). Thanks. How did you find it? I couldn't find this image with a reverse google image search. And when I did such a search again with this here image, it's only giving me three smaller-res images, and not even this one. I'd love to find one that's even higher-res if possible.

Or this quick photoshop:
hzcTK4l.jpg
Thanks!

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
And it only seems to be further amplified when it's a Nintendo AAA release. The Nintendo fanboy hivemind is real, man. And it hasn't slowed down in 20 Goddamn years.

I mean Naughty Dog fanboys aren't any better, but Nintendo deserving high scores is about as annoying as it gets. No one "deserves" high scores because of their stature or whatever. The review scale has gotten stricter every generation, but not enough by this logic alone.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
No one is really freaking out about the score though. People commented on it because it's an outlier score for a certified classic - then people commented on the people that commented to tell them to chill down ...even though they were calm for the most part lol. That's just the way it goes in some of these reviews threads, where the reaction to reactions often is stronger than the initial reaction. Xzbit would be proud.

There are quite a few posts accusing IGN of giving it a 7 just for attention and clicks. One of such posts a couple of posts above you. Those posts are fair to be called out.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I'm pretty much going into this with no expectations of changes other than getting a bonus game. I loved 3D World on Wii U, and my wife is excited to play it with me again.

Rare Opiums

Oct 28, 2017
I have just fast read the IGN review, and one particular opinion that intrigued me is the reviewer suggestion regarding SMO's assist mode to help kids and beginners alike. My 4 yo son likes to play 3D World and it never frustrates him that much. I think the reviewer is not really fond of 3d platformer genre.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, now wondering if I should get this at launch or wait a bit. I've always wanted to play this but I couldn't even get myself to beat Galaxy or Sunshine in 3D All Stars yet

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020
Because it would imply that the game got worse over time. Which is a bit BS when there are remake and remasters that actually do suck more than the originals do to either technical issues or questionable design choices. At the very least, a copy paste of the old review plus an addendum of the changes would have been fine if the game didn't change that much or didn't have glaring technical flaws.

I can articulate my opinions just fine so don't try to paint me as some loon that mindlessly wants good reviews. I thought it was dumb and I perfectly explained why I thought it was dumb too.
Reviews are not intended to be in-depth critiques of a game, especially given the tight timeframes journalists have to review games. It's best to just look at review scores as a summary of one persons experience with a game. With ports, it's therefore no surprise that the same game can get two different reviews over time.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Can't wait to check this out! Skipped owning a WiiU and didn't pick up 3D land on the 3DS. Normally I'm not a fan of the NSMB style of play but I've heard this is much more expansive then that.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great reviews. This game was really fun on Wii U, and I bet Bowser's Fury is a cool addition for those who haven't play it.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I have just fast read the IGN review, and one particular opinion that intrigued me is the reviewer suggestion regarding SMO's assist mode to help kids and beginners alike. My 4 yo son likes to play 3D World and it never frustrates him that much. I think the reviewer is not really fond of 3d platformer genre.

I can see what he's saying. My daughter is kind of in the same boat as I know she'd like to play, but given she has trouble with 2D games I'm not sure how she will handle 3D ones.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Games do get worse over time (its called aging and outdated mechanics) and an 8 year old game getting reviewed for new prospective buyers is a good thing, not a bad thing. A game that was a 9 ten years ago is not necessarily a 9 today.

Naw man, you're post sounded ridiculous so I called it ridiculous. You are still being ridiculous btw.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
That's good! Even better in a way as the image is more complete (there's more stuff wuch as bowser's legs in the water). Thanks. How did you find it? I couldn't find this image with a reverse google image search. And when I did such a search again with this here image, it's only giving me three smaller-res images, and not even this one. I'd love to find one that's even higher-res if possible.

Thanks!
Found on the official UK website :D

www.nintendo.co.uk

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Explore a world of Mario fun together in Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury for Nintendo Switch!

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

It doesn't imply that at all. The original IGN reviewer loved the game and gave it a 9.6. This new, different reviewer didn't like it as much, and gave it a 7. It's all opinions, and it's fine if people have different ones.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think the only thing holding this game back from being my favorite 3D mario is my nostalgia for 64. But I'm excited to play it all over again and Bowsers Fury.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I had a few problems with the review, but a lot of it does make sense.
Yeah people being upset about this seems a bit ridiculous. He lays out exactly why he has an issue with elements of the game and I feel the same in most instances.

And it's 2021, review scores don't meant shit except on forums so you can justify why you like something that someone else does.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent scores. Sadly these games do nothing for me. I'm excited fans have something critically acclaimed to play though!

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020
I'm so happy they've improved the running speed in 3DW. Really looking forward to replaying it.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It doesn't imply that at all. The original IGN reviewer loved the game and gave it a 9.6. This new, different reviewer didn't like it as much, and gave it a 7. It's all opinions, and it's fine if people have different ones.

Again, my only problem with this concept is that when someone reviews a game for a website, that review is now the opinion of not only that reviewer, but the ENTIRE website. So it's not just Cam Shea giving it a 7/10, it's also Brian Altano, Tom Marks, Casey DeFrietas, Ryan McCaffrey, Miranda Sanchez, Dan Stapleton, etc, when that may not necessarily be the case.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, my only problem with this concept is that when someone reviews a game for a website, that review is now the opinion of not only that reviewer, but the ENTIRE website. So it's not just Cam Shea giving it a 7/10, it's also Brian Altano, Tom Marks, Casey DeFrietas, Ryan McCaffrey, Miranda Sanchez, Dan Stapleton, etc, when that may not necessarily be the case.
what is the solution here then, honestly? if the new reviewer thinks it's a 7 and altano thinks it's a 9, what do we do here?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no way to get around this problem. You can't expect every person to play the same game and each of them to come to an agreement of what the score should be. It is impossible.

Rare Opiums

Oct 28, 2017
I can see what he's saying. My daughter is kind of in the same boat as I know she'd like to play, but given she has trouble with 2D games I'm not sure how she will handle 3D ones.

I think most kids nowadays is not really good with platformer genre, especially 2D. That being said, 3D World is quite accessible IMO. You don't have to be really precise most of the time. Of course, some later stage was not designed with toddlers in mind, but the same could be said to others 3D Mario games. In fact, it's the easiest of the bunch.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
The multiplayer seems to be a little disappointing according to IGN. Was hoping for a better co-op experience.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
It's always the outliers who get all the attention. People should calm down with this IGN talk. It's just one opinion.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
what is the solution here then, honestly? if the new reviewer thinks it's a 7 and altano thinks it's a 9, what do we do here?

Again, I don't know if there IS a good solution. Part of the problem is with review culture as a whole. As has been pointed out in countless other threads, reviews have always been less about people assigning a score to a game based upon a level of quality, and more of an ego boost for fans of said game who were going to purchase it anyway regardless of quality. Like, you like this game, other people like this game and give it a good score, so that means you have good opinions! Congratulations!

But if someone says that their opinion is different from yours, it's almost as if them saying their opinion is wrong. It's them not just calling the game mediocre, it's calling YOU mediocre for liking it.

At least, that's my interpretation. I'm far from a psychologist or therapist, though I have seen many therapists who are aware of this in previous cases as it is a known logical fallacy.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Numbered review scores need to go. The real useful information is usually in the review. All the numbers do is try to condense thoughts that really can't be. People then use the numbers to try and make a judgement value on the game, but at that point there's not much real meaning behind an aggregate score. What really makes the difference between a 85 and a 90 scoring game? Not much I imagine.

This also gets into the implicit biases present in scorers when giving games review scores. Hype and general community sentiment absolutely have an impact on score. This has even less to do with the actual content of the games themselves.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I think he's knocking it as a QoL change that odyssey has and should have been brought to 3-D world and I think that's fair. Accessibility is never a bad thing, and it's something Nintendo is very conscious about.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Overall, though, it feels like a half-baked proving ground for some new gameplay ideas that aren't fully fleshed out as they would be in a standalone Mario release.

This is basically exactly what my feeling was after seeing Nintendo's videos. Didn't expected anything else, you could see that there isn't much meat on the bone rather than a fun but simple playground with some cute ideas.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On the topic of scores, 8.8 wasn't low enough for Twilight Princess.

This is scoring pretty highly though. Ports of older games tend to score lower down the road because the quality of the game is conflated with the quality of the port and conflated with the calculus of how much they're asking for the game vs the time that's passed. Bowser's Fury is obviously a wrench in that but it's only four hours.