• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't understand how you can give almost 10 to a game and years later give the same game, with EXTRA content and quality of life fixes, a 7.
They could've just used the same reviewer, or at least just update the previous review.

It's a new release with a new review. The review doesn't represent IGN but the person's opinion that is reviewing it.

And I also don't agree with most of the review but that doesn't mean it is a bad review - because it isn't. He talks about the aspects he didn't like in depth.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Patrick's review at Waypoint is rather glowing about the game. (unscored)

www.vice.com

'Bowser's Fury' Drops Mario into an Open World and It's Spectacular

Nintendo's latest proves there are still ways to make the act of making Mario jump feel exciting all over again.

Sounds great!
I don't understand how you can give almost 10 to a game and years later give the same game, with EXTRA content and quality of life fixes, a 7.
They could've just used the same reviewer, or at least just update the previous review.
This makes no sense.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with the 7 for 3D World but I'm not going to berate anyone for giving it that. Many people enjoy some of the flavors of Mario but not all and that is understandable.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Sure but having to play an entire level trying to preserve your power up is the worst definition of challenging imo.
As much as I loved the game, returning to it recently I have to agree, it makes the game much harder than the other 3D Marios to complete and although it's neat in some levels it becomes annoying in many others

T-T-T

May 29, 2018
I didn't know the levels work a bit like in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. That makes me even more excited than before.

Captain Toad is basically a 3D World spinof. They have experimented with this level design for a few levels with Toad in 3D World and then made a a full proper game with that idea

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seeing outlying scores is healthier than if the entire media agreed which games were amazing, and I note that positive outliers, where most reviewers land 8-9 but there's one or two that give a ten, rarely seem to get as much objection from readers. When I see film reviews and there's a range of 3-5 stars out of 5, I don't think that the outliers by a single point on the scale mean the reviewer is somehow wrong, nor do I expect all the same reviewers at the same outlet over a period of years to all agree with each other. When we can easily see the range across the media in general, which in this case is overwhelming praise, I just don't see the issue with a writer thinking a great mario game was merely 'good' just because his colleague thought differently a few years previously.

VivaciousSoul

Sep 23, 2020
Does anyone know if online multiplayer requires you to be friends to play together? It's kind of hard to imagine that not being the case but it would be nice to be surprised.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played 3D world, looking forward to playing it on Friday. IGNs review is a bit of an outlier, but I have seen similar sentiment from others on Resetera about this game? I know the original game knocked it out of the park with reviewers but I remember people online being a bit more divided.
3D World when it came out was the logical conclusion of 3D Mario games' increasing shift of embodying the spirit of linear 2D Mario levels that began with Super Mario Galaxy. For those who were in line with that kind of style, there was gold to be found, while others were a bit more peeved at the loss of 3D Mario's more holistic, open-ended approach being lost. Personally 3D World isn't my favorite Mario game, but while it occasionally lacks the sheer boundary breaking presentation that games like Odyssey and Galaxy are known to have, it's probably my favorite of the "Galaxy" era of Mario platformers and a monumentally feature-complete capstone of that design approach. It's going to be interesting to revisit it with its increased movement speed; I always thought the movement was one of the things about the original game that didn't quite sit well with me.

Feb 15, 2019
So as someone that thinks Super Mario Odyssey is a very charming and beautiful game, but only thinks it's about average in terms of fun mainly due to an extreme lack of difficulty unless you go to the darker side of the moon after collecting like 500 moons, how is the difficulty in here?

Assuming you would try and get all 3 stars in every level. An added question, are the stars particularly annoying in requiring specific power ups to obtain and does that deter to the general experience and eventually turns it into a rather tedious thing?

I'm a big fan of 2D Mario over 3D Mario btw so this aspect of it basically being a 2D Mario but like in 3D if that makes sense does appeal to me.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
So Bowser's Fury is basically a whole game in itself? That's pretty cool, I just assumed it was some one off mode or something.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I'll double dip, as I 100% 3D world In coop and it was one of the best Mario experiences I've had. That said, bowers fury looks good

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It always will be the best Mario game for me. I LOVE 3D platformers but absolutely hate Mario, and this is a 3D Mario game where you don't have to play as Mario. GOTY.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Awesome reviews. Going to start with Bowser's Fury once I beat Pikmin 3.

Nov 14, 2017
Do we know yet how
Rosalina
works with online play? Is it based on your own game's save or does the host have to have it unlocked for the other players to be able to use it? It wasn't 100% clear in the preview thread iirc.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
7 is totally fair. The game is one of the best 3d platformers ever made but it deserved to be more thoroughly overhauled and expanded for a full priced release 7.5 years later. Nintendo sold this game as a $20 Nintendo Selects release 5 years ago

I see "hours" for Bowsers Fury, but does anyone give a more specific amount of time?
3 to 6 hours for 100% completion.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't turned on my switch in ages, but It hink I'll pick this up... and I'll def get it for my sister for her bday coming up.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Amusing that some people expected sub 80 scores. But over 90 kinda suprises me a bit, oh well.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's because it was the on the WiiU but I didn't know this game actually garnered so much praise before. Color me surprised. I'm down for a good Mario game.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
So as someone that thinks Super Mario Odyssey is a very charming and beautiful game, but only thinks it's about average in terms of fun mainly due to an extreme lack of difficulty unless you go to the darker side of the moon after collecting like 500 moons, how is the difficulty in here?

Assuming you would try and get all 3 stars in every level. An added question, are the stars particularly annoying in requiring specific power ups to obtain and does that deter to the general experience and eventually turns it into a rather tedious thing?

I'm a big fan of 2D Mario over 3D Mario btw so this aspect of it basically being a 2D Mario but like in 3D if that makes sense does appeal to me.

3d World is my favorite BUT it is not a very difficult game overall. The bonus worlds have some of the most difficult platforming challenges in any Mario game but much like Odyssey, it takes a good amount of collecting to unlock them all.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7 is totally fair. The game is one of the best 3d platformers ever made but it deserved to be more thoroughly overhauled and expanded for a full priced release 7.5 years later. Nintendo sold this game as a $20 Nintendo Selects release 5 years ago
The score isn't based on this. The reviewer has fundamental issues with 3D World itself.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know yet how
Rosalina
works with online play? Is it based on your own game's save or does the host have to have it unlocked for the other players to be able to use it? It wasn't 100% clear in the preview thread iirc.
My understanding is that online is essentially just you connecting to the hosts game as if it was local, all progression is based off, and saved to, the hosts system.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020

3 to 6 hours for 100% completion.

I can live with the price because of the new content but I think the sweet spot would have been 39.99.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Seeing outlying scores is healthier than if the entire media agreed which games were amazing, and I note that postive outliers, where most reviewers land 8-9 but there's one or two that give a ten, rarely seem to get as much objection from readers. When I see film reviews and there's a range of 3-5 stars out of 5, I don't think that the outliers by a single point on the scale are somehow wrong, nor do I expect all the same reviewers at the same outlet over a period of years to all agree with each other. When we can easily see the range across the media in general, which in this case is overwhelming praise, I just don't see the issue with a writer thinking a great mario game was merely 'good' just because his colleague thought differently a few years previously.

Exactly. People are allowed to have differing opinions. Part of the problem with a review is that its expected to be taken as the opinion of the entire site.

I feel like this happens in the case of Nintendo more often because their fans are conditioned to expect glowing reviews for every game they release. While this isn't universal to them - just look at Sony fans when outlets dared to criticize Death Stranding or Last of Us Part 2 - this seemingly has always been the case. Tommy Tallarico's 5/10 for Nintendo's E3 2004, Game Informer's 6/10 for Paper Mario TTYD, Jeff Gerstmann's 8.8 for Twilight Princess, Jim Sterling's 7/10 for Breath of the Wild. Dare to be an outlier of opinion for something Nintendo does that should be universally beloved, and face the consequences.

Feb 15, 2019
3d World is my favorite BUT it is not a very difficult game overall. The bonus worlds have some of the most difficult platforming challenges in any Mario game but much like Odyssey, it takes a good amount of collecting to unlock them all.

Does at least collecting the stars in every level make it more challenging than Odyssey? Maybe I'm not remembering right but I do remember trying to get all 3 stars in some stages in previous 2D Mario games to be fairly challenging.