• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I really do feel like this is my favourite 3D Mario game.

Played through 64, Sunshine and Galaxy recently but 3D World just brings more joy, maybe because it's easier and more fun idk.
It's also rather creative and bright in the later levels. While I feel other 3D Mario games aren't as creative in late game.

3D world is just wonderful to look at sometimes

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You have to remap this back for other games though right? It's kind of annoying? Or am I misremembering how remapping works
You have to reset the preset you load.
The PS3 sold more units on launch week in the UK than the Wii U had in a year if that number is correct. That's how dire it was.
UK specifically was Nintendo arch nemesis that gen. It's not even worth looking at those numbers, they're so tiny and sad.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
As expected, Bowser's Fury is a lot longer than 8 hours for me since I tend to take my time with games that allow me to do so. Don't know how some of you are finishing this game so quickly your first time around.
The way the game is paced makes it really easy to just keep playing, especially because bowser starts showing up more and more often. This created an addicting gameplay loop for me, where I would collect some normal shines (while keeping an eye out for fury blocks), bowser would appear, then I'd look into my memory for a shine that requires him. It was honestly very hard to put down.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
is the dive a new addition for 3D World on Switch ?

As someone who played Odyssey recently I thought it looked rather weak in comparison at first but I gotta it's pretty satisfying to pull off right after a wall jump to access areas where I guess the cat form would have been needed.

The dive I do dislike tho is the one from the cat form, I feel like I sometimes pull it by accident but I might need to just het used to it more.

I'm not done with the main mode yet but as far as I'm concerned once you're past the first world the game gets really enjoyable, still don't know where I'd rank it yet but as far as pure enjoyement is concerned I'd easily place it above both 64 and Sunshine and probably on par with Odyssey and Galaxy.

I also don't find the game being easy too much of a bother besides the first world who's rather plain.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Two quick questions on Bowser's Fury - putting them under a spoiler just in case but I'm only 1-2 hours into it.

1. How come the lighthouses get covered in black ink again randomly? Seems like a glitch - I'll get a Cat Shine and the animation will show the lighthouse uncovered but then suddenly covered in black ink and uncovered again

2. Are there 5 Cat Shines per area consistently? Or do more shines get made available later on?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Two quick questions on Bowser's Fury - putting them under a spoiler just in case but I'm only 1-2 hours into it.

1. How come the lighthouses get covered in black ink again randomly? Seems like a glitch - I'll get a Cat Shine and the animation will show the lighthouse uncovered but then suddenly covered in black ink and uncovered again

2. Are there 5 Cat Shines per area consistently? Or do more shines get made available later on?
1) Every single lighthouse area in the game has 5 Cat Shine missions:

- Three "story" missions
- One "collect 5 mini-cat shines" mission (kinda like the 8 red coins missions in Mario 64), and
- One "destroy the Fury Blocks" mission.

The mini-cat shine missions and fury block missions can be completed at any time. But the "story" missions in each area can only be completed one at a time. When you complete a story mission, then leave the lighthouse area and come back, you're automatically put into the next "story" mission, which resets the lighthouse back to goopy.

2) More Shines are added to the game later on, but not to the Lighthouses. If you want an equivalent, think of them like the "castle secret stars" missions of Mario 64.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I was playing 2P, each with one joy con and this was pretty annoying. Using split joy cons was much better. I think handheld mode is the best solution. It was designed for the Game Pad, is my assumption. Only other solution would have been to re-program the game to turn these into timed blocks on a switch or something ....

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I was playing 2P, each with one joy con and this was pretty annoying. Using split joy cons was much better. I think handheld mode is the best solution. It was designed for the Game Pad, is my assumption. Only other solution would have been to re-program the game to turn these into timed blocks on a switch or something ....

I mean, literally yes, obviously.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think I am going to try to get the 100% in 3D World as well, except the "play each level with each character" bs.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
For a full priced game, they could of replaced the levels. The touch levels were never great on Wii U to begin with, and the issue is exacerbated here on Switch.

Its also not my responsibility to suggest a replacement, but they don't work very well at all.
No need to replace them entirely, but they could have automated it someone like they did for the levels that required the microphone.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

they get covered so that if you collect a cat shine on that island while fury bowser is out, they light up and scare him away. If you have all the shines on an island, it stays lit permanently.

5 cat shines per area yeah. Three main missions, one cat shard, one fury block. There are a ton around the lake randomly though that count as their own thing

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
100%ed Bowser's Fury in 8 hours including messing around with the photo mode. Definitely my GOTY so far which is quite easy given the releases from the start of this year ^ ^

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
It's also rather creative and bright in the later levels. While I feel other 3D Mario games aren't as creative in late game.

3D world is just wonderful to look at sometimes

Not to mention the ghost mansion levels which are my least favorite by far. 3D World manages to make them digestable.

3D World is a LOOKER.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After playing Switch Captain Toad and Switch Mario Galaxy, I was well prepared for the gyro touch cursor usage.
I actually kinda like this sorta context sensitive extra input style of play every now and then, it opens up an interesting player controlled wrinkle to level design, but mainly just for the platforms that pop out the walls and such, less the hands on hall sliding doors.

Got my 100 shines in Bowser's Fury, it's a neat encapsulation of the concept of open world Mario and definitely has me wondering what a truly open world mainline game that is more built around that (as opposed to 3D World control/power up logic etc) could be like.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No need to replace them entirely, but they could have automated it someone like they did for the levels that required the microphone.

Playing it again, the timing on them is a major issue over the awful gyro control - they are fiddly and awkward and throws any kind of accessibility out the window. They stand out massively in an otherwise highly polished game.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The sound effect when you walk on top of the clear pipes, that little pitter patter sound, my god it's SO satisfying and nice to hear

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Just saw through Bowsers Fury 100%. We made a point of doing every shine available before getting the Giga Bell.

I played through the game with my partner, but the co-op is clearly meant to be a parent and child. Bowser Jr is ludicrously overpowered allowing you to cheat many many Cat Shines.

Overall I think it's a solid experience. I would love to play a larger game built on this type of level design.

Never played 3D world but really looking forward to a more fulfilling co-op experience.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if posted but here are some subtle differences between the Wii U and Switch versions.

Was not aware of some of these changes.

Apr 9, 2019
I've always been a little sceptical of the direction Mario took when going 3D. People say Mario 64 was a perfect translation of Mario into a 3D space, but I tend to disagree. Mario 64 and it's sequels have always felt like a different type of game to me: more of an adventure game than a pure platforming one. Yoshi's Island brought some exploration to the 2D series before 64 came along, but even in that game platforming was always the focus.

Although I enjoy these more adventure-ish Mario games, I've always missed the "flying by the seat of your pants"-aspect of 2D Mario games. I'm delighted to say that 3D World, especially when playing as Toad, makes you play as fast and loose as you'd like. I've been devouring stages in rapid succession, reading the landscape as it presents itself and improvising as I go. A lot of 3D World levels do this even better than most 2D Mario levels I've played. It's fantastic.

A more critical note: the fact that 3D World places more importance on defeating enemies by jumping on them (because by default you don't have a "2D Attack" like the spin move in Galaxy or kick in 64) re-introduces some perspective problems that have plagued Mario since going 3D. I'm having a hard time jumping on enemies from certain viewpoints, and having a locked camera makes getting a feel for the space in three dimensions harder. This is exacerbated by the sometimes flat lighting, which have made me miss jumps due to not being able to see the depth of the scene properly. That's something other 3D Mario games have tackled more effectively in the past (Galaxy most succesfully IMO, by moving the spherical playing fields and de-emphasizing precision jumping in a 3D space).

All in all though, if I had to recommend a single Mario platformer to someone, I'd 100% recommend this. The amount of content is staggering, and the quality (some small annoyances aside) is through the roof.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this for the first time with my partner and it's such a fun co-op game. Loving it! I don't play enough Mario games.

nodakel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Just beat Bower's Fury (still need to 100% it, though) and it's so fun. I really enjoy the gameplay loop; they did a good job of making it so that there's always something to do, whether it be revisiting islands or traveling to an object of interest in the distance.

By the way, do we know if Nintendo Software Technology was the main developer for Bower's Fury? Seemed like it based on the credits, but roles weren't really connected to names so not sure.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not sure if posted but here are some subtle differences between the Wii U and Switch versions.

Having played Bowser's Fury first, I really thought those changes were exclusive to BF, to make it feel like Mario Odyssey.

However, it was really neat to see 3D World basically having all the same controls as Odyssey as well.

Basically, this is Super Mario 3D World TURBO EDITION and I really like it a lot.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
So far, the only thing that really bothers me about the 3D World port (Aside from Toad's run speed, which I'm really not sure how to feel about yet) is how the platforms you have to blow on are replaced by the generic yellow block moving platforms. Looks really out of place and kinda lazy, like you couldn't just take the original platforms and automate them instead?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I didn´t play the Wii U version but I feel like characters' speed is perfect. You can be agile and perform tricks without losing precision.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

They probably were made with Odyssey in mind, and it really shows how well they improved the game feel here. It's way more than just faster speed, the characters are really more fun to control

Odyssey pipe ground pound is amazing ugh

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly not fond on how potent the ground pound jump is, Odyssey giving me all these tools and then the one I can use from a standstill is just as strong as the rest.

Doesn't mean I wont use it though!

Is this Relentless Ardun
I was playing off Beef's sheer loathing of anything Chao Garden, but thanks to this post I found out about the crazy conclusion to that sidequest.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the post game and the increased speed and dive pretty much breaks any difficulty. The levels are pretty easy now.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I forgive nintendo for a lot of things but the blue coin challenge in the ice skate boot in browsers fury should have never made it into the game in a very Sunshine way lol. What a slog! Am i missing something? Do I really have to travel all the way back to the beginning every time I miss?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

god, i can only imagine the catharsis for the gameplay programmer getting to go back after all this time and implement all the little TODOs they never got time for the first time (or otherwise had the opportunity to add in odyssey)

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I forgive nintendo for a lot of things but the blue coin challenge in the ice skate boot in browsers fury should have never made it into the game in a very Sunshine way lol. What a slog! Am i missing something? Do I really have to travel all the way back to the beginning every time I miss?

There's a cannon at the finish line that takes you back to the start.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't like the increase in movement speed. I honestly think it makes levels flow very strangely. It's pretty clear most jumps and obstacles weren't designed with this kind of speed in mind. You'll find yourself overshooting tons of jumps.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm certain a mod is being planned at this moment that'll revert the increased speed to Wii U speeds. It was nice at first, but I'm plowing through late-game levels much easier than I did in 2013, and I don't play games nearly as much now as I did then, damn family.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
The game is incredibly fun, as it was on the Wii U. I will say though that I don't recall Mario being this floaty. I don't know if it has to do with the increased speed but I find him somewhat annoying to control in the air. I never have issues with controlling Mario in any game, so I'm quite confused lol.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
95% of my deaths are due to depth perception. cat suit powerup sucks, sticking to everything. nothing's rebalanced for the increased speed. game is trash.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The game is incredibly fun, as it was on the Wii U. I will say though that I don't recall Mario being this floaty. I don't know if it has to do with the increased speed but I find him somewhat annoying to control in the air. I never have issues with controlling Mario in any game, so I'm quite confused lol.
It's definitely the increased speed. I could tell something was off almost immediately.

Apr 21, 2018
People had jumping perspective issues when this came out on wiiU too.

The solution is to look at Mario's shadow. And when the controls click, it's easier to judge perspective and depth.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Finished up World 1 and 2 with all the Green Stars and Stamps. I have like 40 Shrines in Bowser's Fury, too. Great game, really glad to be back.