• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
me taking the cable car on tricky trapeze theater for the tenth time trying to get that green star

64c7476c074b867121a7a6af8dd2f914.gif

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Not encountered any of this. Even digital foundry said the frame rate was near perfect in 3D World. I think sometimes we just imagine things because of all the chat and obsession on here about performance.

Funnily enough, I have never opened nor participated in a Digital Foundry thread on this forum!

The only games I have noticed stuttering is in this (briefly), Bloodborne and the very first Uncharted.

Must be my eyes, but to be fair, there was a similar post to mine not far up from my own so, I can't be imagining things...

Anyhoo, I am thoroughly enjoying this game now, even if the frame rate feels somewhat jarring when hopping from 3D World to Bowser's Fury, if only for a couple of minutes.

It's nice that a second player can join in when playing Bowser's Fury ... 😊

And maybe it's gonna make me to buy Captain Toad at last lol

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker remains my favourite Wii U/Switch game.

It is absurdly charming, and playing it for the first time on Christmas morning (back in 2014) was delightfully whimsical! The music when you boot the game up for the first time is joyously welcoming.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Always see people saying things like the systems' online is shit etc when they don't really understand what's going on or what kind of level of work it would actually be.

Doesn't really matter when it makes for a shit experience. Smash is unplayable. Mario Kart is great. I don't really care why this may or may not be the case.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I shouldn't have started it during break. I played the full first world in this last hour. The levels were easy, but after all that is the first world, and in two of them I didn't find all the three green starts. Instead I managed to try all the stamps in a first attempt. I loved also the Captain Toad's level, why didn't I buy that game?

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that little unenthusiastic "all right" mario lets out sometimes after getting a green star is so fucking funny to me.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't really matter when it makes for a shit experience. Smash is unplayable. Mario Kart is great. I don't really care why this may or may not be the case.

Yeah at the end of the day the subpar online experience is on Nintendo to address. It becomes especially hard to ignore now that Online is no longer free like it was for earlier systems.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I agree tbh. I'm hoping it will be ok for me, but its confounding that they keep doing stuff like this. They'd be better not including it or clearly / honestly communicating about it if its infeasible to make something like this work.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they properly tweaked everything to match the character speed adjustments. The earliest instance is the rabbit chases in the first level, they're essentially done as soon as you hit sprint and move in their direction.
This is kinda what I was worried about when I first heard about the speed boost. Levels and enemies are designed around your character speed! I guess there's a little more leeway here since the characters had varying abilities in the original release, but man that's a big speed boost.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Only just about to wrap up the first world and it's amazing. Awesome evolution of Super Mario 3 which is my favourite 2D Mario. Can't wait to play this with my daughter over the weekend.
The problem is this game is much much too easy. Mario 3 is so much more satisfying. But 3D world is good to play with little kids.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem is this game is much much too easy. Mario 3 is so much more satisfying. But 3D world is good to play with little kids.
Mario 3 may have seemed hard when it first came out on NES, but if you go back now, you'll see it's probably not as hard as you remember.

It's a surprisingly easy game by today's standards.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda what I was worried about when I first heard about the speed boost. Levels and enemies are designed around your character speed! I guess there's a little more leeway here since the characters had varying abilities in the original release, but man that's a big speed boost.
On the flip side, the first two worlds are actually fun now. :-o

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I shouldn't have started it during break. I played the full first world in this last hour. The levels were easy, but after all that is the first world, and in two of them I didn't find all the three green starts. Instead I managed to try all the stamps in a first attempt. I loved also the Captain Toad's level, why didn't I buy that game?
Captain Toad is secretly a better game than 3D World.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Mario 3 may have seemed hard when it first came out on NES, but if you go back now, you'll see it's probably not as hard as you remember.

It's a surprisingly easy game by today's standards.
Haven't games become much easier? I would say Mario 3 was easier than many in those days but a lot harder than today's games. All modern Mario games are easier than the retro ones. Except the very last levels after the final boss.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Haven't games become much easier? I would say Mario 3 was easier than many in those days but a lot harder than today's games. All modern Mario games are easier than the retro ones. Except the very last levels after the final boss.
it's kind of disingenuous to conflate the accessibility of the games now with overall difficulty. mario 3 had a lot of early design decisions that added unnecessary constraints. i'd probably still agree that 3 was a little more difficult overall because it required more precision platforming, but 100% 3D world asks for you to explore the game and utilize its mechanics in a way that 3 doesn't

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Mario 3 is especially easy. You can farm P-Wings and fly through every level if you really want. Who says Assist Mode is new?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Mario 3 is only challenging if you're forcing yourself to not use the Leaf.

I've been replaying every Mario game recently. There's peaks and valleys in challenge over the years, but the only one that's an actual breeze that I can casually 100% without dying is the original SMB on NES.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Is it true you can't use the dpad to control the characters? You could do that on Wii U, it's how I played it back then... What?

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been asked, but does this have a limited release window like Nintendo's recent releases?

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Mario 3 is only challenging if you're forcing yourself to not use the Leaf.

I've been replaying every Mario game recently. There's peaks and valleys in challenge over the years, but the only one that's an actual breeze that I can casually 100% without dying is the original SMB on NES.

I guess that is hat I mean. Without using P wings it is a harder game.

For you SMB is the easiest? World 8 is tough for me. I think it's the only Mario game that I struggle with. Except the The Lost Levels.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
So I've done the first giga fight against Bowser and he's now moved over to the second part of the map, but I still have those Bowser blocks to smash in the first area.

How can I make him come back to this area?

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
In Toronto at least I've found stock has been bad for almost every new game release for the past few months.
Wow I had no idea, thanks for letting me know! Guess we are buying digital since my kids can't think about anything else.

Does anyone know if we need multiple copies of the game to play wireless local on two Switches? Or just one copy?

BDrummer1606

Oct 27, 2017
So I've done the first giga fight against Bowser and he's now moved over to the second part of the map, but I still have those Bowser blocks to smash in the first area.

How can I make him come back to this area?

He will eventually show up again. Using the giga bell doesn't remove him completely, but I think it increases the time between when he comes back.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true you can't use the dpad to control the characters? You could do that on Wii U, it's how I played it back then... What?
Yeah dpad is used to activate photo mode and use stock items...
I also used the dpad on WiiU so I'm disappointed, but since the movement has changed from 8 way movements to 360° control, I think it wouldn't have been as good as it was on WiiU to use the dpad. Still, they could have easily kept it :/

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bowser's Fury 100 shines get. Bloody fantastic. Better than 3D World, albeit it left me wanting more. 3D World is vastly more enjoyable with speed demon Toad and Luigi.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
A shame the OT wasn't named featuring God-Slayer Bowser from the SMT series.😂

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy 1, and Mario Galaxy 2 were harder than Mario 3 by a considerable margin if you attempted to beat them 100%. More recent games - I.e. 3D Land, 3D World, and Odyssey are about on par with Mario 3's difficulty.

Mario 3 is a remarkably easy game when you have the racoon tail.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I'd say Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy 1, and Mario Galaxy 2 were harder than Mario 3 by a considerable margin if you attempted to beat them 100%. More recent games - I.e. 3D Land, 3D World, and Odyssey are about on par with Mario 3's difficulty.

Can't agree with that. Definitely think 3 is harder than the games you mentioned. Couldn't you get a game over in the original NES version which would send you right back to the beginning of the game?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Honestly the tiny changes like the speed making you catch the lip while jumping up short stairways and the microphone platforms in Puffprod Peaks being made automatic bother me more than it should. These Switch ports really can never be "definitive", huh.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario 3 is especially easy. You can farm P-Wings and fly through every level if you really want. Who says Assist Mode is new?
SMB3 was made easier when it came over to the West.

In the Japanese version, getting hit while powered-up causes the player to shrink to Small Mario just like in the first Super Mario Bros. game. Apparently this was deemed too hard for overseas players, so it was changed: Anything above Super Mario reverts only to Super Mario when hit, then to Small Mario. This change makes the short demo that plays on the title screen that explains the general physics of the game "incorrect" in the international versions as Mario is clearly shown being reduced to Small Mario when being hit by a shell when he is Raccoon Mario.

https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Bros._3/Version_differences

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

Sunshine sure but Galaxy is an absolute cakewalk to complete tbh.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Can't agree with that. Definitely think 3 is harder than the games you mentioned. Couldn't you get a game over in the original NES version which would send you right back to the beginning of the game?
No. The most you're ever pushed back is to the beginning of the world, and any changes that you've made to the map (like broken locks) persist between continues, so the game basically allows you to resume progress from the last fortress that you cleared.

SMB1, 2J, and 3 have infinite continues. Only American SMB2 is limited among the NES games in this regard.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one that has problems with hitting enemies on the head by jumping?
The camera makes it hard for me to judge where I'm going to land. (handheld mode)

Oct 27, 2017
smb3 is super easy until the later worlds, but that's just me.

Am I the only one that has problems with hitting enemies on the head by jumping?
The camera makes it hard for me to judge where I'm going to land. (handheld mode)
yea, the game doesn't have the greatest depth perception for me either (never has), which is funny coming off of super mario 3d land, a game designed to combat that issue. of course, that had 3d tech to help, but...

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
yea, the game doesn't have the greatest depth perception for me either (never has), which is funny coming off of super mario 3d land, a game designed to combat that issue. of course, that had 3d tech to help, but...
I literally can't see the 3D effect of the 3DS, so every time 3D Land intended you to make use of it it always irritated me a bit.

3D World uses more consistently clear camera angles throughout the game, and it's generally easier to use your shadow to keep track of your position in this game.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah dpad is used to activate photo mode and use stock items...
I also used the dpad on WiiU so I'm disappointed, but since the movement has changed from 8 way movements to 360° control, I think it wouldn't have been as good as it was on WiiU to use the dpad. Still, they could have easily kept it :/

?? movement hasn't changed

Oct 27, 2017
I literally can't see the 3D effect of the 3DS, so every time 3D Land intended you to make use of it it always irritated me a bit.

3D World uses more consistently clear camera angles throughout the game, and it's generally easier to use your shadow to keep track of your position in this game.
i mean yea, the 3d only helped if you could see it, of course.

Honestly the tiny changes like the speed making you catch the lip while jumping up short stairways and the microphone platforms in Puffprod Peaks being made automatic bother me more than it should. These Switch ports really can never be "definitive", huh.
it's obvious why they can't use a mic, (because there isn't one), but it DOES remove some of what made that level special, which is unfortunate.

the platforms would have this insane movement speed with the mic, and now they just mosey along super slowly. functional but a bit whatever.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed that double cherry Marios catch up with the leader when you run a specific direction. Did it work like this in the Wii U version?