• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying it due to the Switch Port of 3D World coming out next week and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it... my only real complaint would be how some of the special world levels are just rinse and repeat and there is some padding. (Beat every level as both Mario and Luigi, get every Star Medal and get Gold flag poles at the end of every level)

When this game came out, it became THE reason to own a Nintendo 3DS (which had a slow launch)

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Really need to replay this one, I always forget it exists for some reason.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
One of the most underrated Mario platformers. I know it sold a lot, but most people seem to just see it as boring or an inferior 3D World. I think in some ways it is better than 3D World in terms of level design.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good game. I remember being disappointed that you couldn't fly as Tanooki Mario. Like what was the point of advertising the return of Tanooki and Racoon Mario from SMB3 but then omitting the biggest feature of those powerups?

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I like it better than 3D World because it was the one that introduced all these fun concepts and 3D World merely expanded upon it. That's why I also prefer Galaxy to Galaxy 2.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's a very cute game I feel is overshadowed by 3D World. I personally kinda prefer its vibes, though it's incredibly easy considering I ended it with max lives (something they seem to have expected what with it having unique symbols for it).

It also introduced Kitsune Luigi which is Very Good

Kitsune_Luigi.png

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
For me it was much too easy and that soured me on it. I'm playing through again now and find myself cursing at how imprecise the analogue nub on the 3ds XL is. Gives Mario this really odd momentum.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Best 3D Mario along with 3D World imo. I enjoy a lot more these quasi linear games compared with the open ones.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
For me it was much too easy and that soured me on it. I'm playing through again now and find myself cursing at how imprecise the analogue nub on the 3ds XL is. Gives Mario this really odd momentum.

Did you play the post-game content? Because for me, the game was a 5-6/10 when I "beat" the game, but it quickly moved up to an 8-9/10 when I BEAT the game.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love this game. I think I like it even more than 3D World actually. The plat forming is tighter.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I agree! In fact I will go one step further, I replayed it recently after the playing Galaxy in the 3D All Stars collection, and I would now put it above Galaxy (its weird because initially in 2011 I remember liking it but being disappointed and putting it at the bottom tier of my 3D Mario games; maybe that was because I was coming off of the highs of Galaxy 2, but now after replaying it, I have more respect for it). It makes me really look forward to 3D World on Switch as well.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
The (giant!) cosmic Mario chases and the more tightly timed challenges where you top up your clock by defeating enemies or collecting stopwatches were an absolute highlight for me. Superb game.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I love this game and found it so much more focused than 3D World (makes sense design wise, as there's no multiplayer). Really bummed that some version didn't make it into the 3D World re-release.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty solid though it's a little hard to go back to it after 3D World took everything it introduced to the next level. While it is more tightly designed everything just feels so quaint in comparison. It's also the only game I put up with playing in 3D on the 3DS, it's so well implemented that the headaches are (barely) worth it.

Jan 29, 2018
Yeah I absolutely love 3D Land. I prefer it to 3D World. One of the best uses of the 3D effect as well, though it's perfectly playable without it.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The topic sounds like it's a game that's usually looked down upon when that is far from the case.
It's always been viewed as a great game as far as I can remember. And it is. Shame it ddin't get added to the 3D World port as a bonus.

Oct 30, 2017
Eh I beat it and largely thought it was a pretty meh experience.

compared to 3D world it's just nowhere near as good

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree! In fact I will go one step further, I replayed it recently after the playing Galaxy in the 3D All Stars collection, and I would now put it above Galaxy (its weird because initially in 2011 I remember liking it but being disappointed and putting it at the bottom tier of my 3D Mario games; maybe that was because I was coming off of the highs of Galaxy 2, but now after replaying it, I have more respect for it). It makes me really look forward to 3D World on Switch as well.
I feel like on any given day, any one of the 3D Mario games (maybe other than sunshine) can be my favorite of the bunch.

They all excel at different things

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The superior content is unfortunately hidden in the post-game but yeah, it's one of the best titles on the 3DS.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Did you play the post-game content? Because for me, the game was a 5-6/10 when I "beat" the game, but it quickly moved up to an 8-9/10 when I BEAT the game.
That's kind of the problem. The game is so easy it's not really fun until the "post game," everything before that is a total slog. And then the special worlds are rehashed content from the first go around.

If the "main game" didn't exist and it was just the special worlds, the game would be a solid 8 or 9. But unfortunately you have to suffer through the main game first, and that really brings it down.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I actually think it's the best 3D Mario game. It was so impressive when it came out and is still amazing almost ten years later. (Whooooo boy, time is a strange thing.)

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Thought it was a bit boring tbh. Quite easy, and so few power-ups. Like I swear you're in a tanooki suit for >50% of the game without any other choices really. Felt extremely repetitive because of that, and I struggled to enjoy it.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I was kind of hoping if they re-released 3D World then they would also port 3D Land as part of it. I'm sad they didn't as both are easily my favorite 3D Mario games and my 3DS is busted.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game that seems to be overlooked by Nintendo just like Galaxy 2. Wish they included the levels in the 3D World port.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
"Actually"? Wasn't this huge with everyone? Weird way to word it when it was super popular and everyone loved it.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I remember this coming out in an absolutely stacked holiday release period (you had Portal 2, Dark Souls 1, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, Arkham City, Assassin's Creed Revelations and Mario Kart 7 all releasing in or around the same time), so it was kind overshadowed by the onslaught of AAA releases at the time.

Had a great time with it though when I did get around to it, it was a little small in scale compared to the grandiose Galaxy games but still very tight gameplay and fun 3D gimmicks.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I do like it better than 3D World, the level design is more focused because it doesn't have to make it work for 4 players. Didn't stop me to finish 3D World 5 times because you need to complete each courses with all characters for true 100% completion.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this coming out in an absolutely stacked holiday release period (you had Portal 2, Dark Souls 1, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, Arkham City, Assassin's Creed Revelations and Mario Kart 7 all releasing in or around the same time), so it was kind overshadowed by the onslaught of AAA releases at the time.

Had a great time with it though when I did get around to it, it was a little small in scale compared to the grandiose Galaxy games but still very tight gameplay and fun 3D gimmicks.
It sold nearly 13 million copies making it the best selling 3d mario ever before Odyssey and outselling every game on that list outside Skyrim and MK7 .
it definitely wasnt overshadowed