• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Some of these reviews genuinely make me wanna write something examining how fans of games approach preservation and restoration differently than fans of almost any other art medium. It's fascinating to me how three classic Mario games can come out, and people will criticize them for not changing or improving enough, whereas say... Many fans would riot if, say, a classic film was re-released with re-done effects, or a classic album was reissued with a completely reworked production.

Not saying gamers are wrong for this. I think a lot of it has to do with the nature of games as a cross-section of art and software where usability becomes a concern that isn't present in other mediums... But, it still completely fascinates me.

This should be a Criterion collection release. This is a DVD transfer put on a blu ray.

When company like Digital Eclipse exist, people have the right to be pissed by this product. The end consummer doesn't give a shit that NERD developped good emulators that will somehow be used in future products ( but not too many, because Nintendo) . The end result is a barebone release with a jukebox thant nobody will ever use because who the fuck uses its switch as a mp3 player.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Any word on the frame drops and other issues mentioned in the 3D All Stars emulator thread? Any performance issues?

Anything new about any QoL fixes in Sunshine? Or if the 64 camera feels any smoother? Read conflicting reports on that.
Are you telling me there are frame drops in 64 and Sunshine?
The games run flawlessly. The collection doesn't work well with the current Switch's CFW so pirated copies have a bit of lag and some crashes.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading that there aren't actually any framerate issues at all and the video going around must have been because of a pirated copy, just like some of the more level headed users here were saying was likely the case. Hopefully people wait for better sources than a random ass twitter user with a modded console and pirated copy of the game before over reacting in the future because some of those posts are straight up embarrassing in hindsight.

tatotiburon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killa
not even ports, just roms running on an emulator and mario 64 look like this

ufqlk52.png

but the game still scored high....jesus

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
It must be nice to live in a place with easy access to a n64 game, a gamecube game and to a lesser extend a wii game (still in my country there is no store still selling them) because i bet no one saying the access to those games is easy is because they download them for free on the internet.

Beyond that i find the review of such type of collections a bit weird (since it comes of the expectations of it being more when their appeal is that it is what it was for the most part) but for what i read beyond lackluster flood controls the rest seems as good as the originals so i can't wait to finally play 3 of the most well regarded (or 2+shunshine) 3D platformers that have been made.

it feels like sometimes reviewers and forum enthusiasts forget that not all people have been playing those games a lot of times. I guess in the reviwers case they dont make reviews for the general public but anyway.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Honestly, I can give two shits about what any review says. Seeing these three games (even though my heart breaks for no Galaxy 2) puts the widest smile on my face.

I remember the exact moment my father (who passed 10 years ago) handed me my N64 on my 12th birthday surrounded by all my friends with a copy of Mario 64 and Turok. I remember working my ass off to buy that Gamecube along with Sunshine and Monkeyball. And I especially remember the voodoo that was circling that first planet in Galaxy.

Widescreen or not, 60 fps or not, remapped controls or not these games are pure magic and I CANNOT WAIT to relive them.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Watch Gamexplain review, they did a frame rate test. It's smoother than the original releases.
I can't at the moment. Does the Switch version hold a solid 30fps or does it dip below?
I haven't encountered any during my playthroughs.
That's good. I first noticed a micro-stutter in the reveal video, but put it aside as an encoding issue.
It'll be a real shame if the the first two games are not locked at 30fps.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
I really don't understand how some people can complain about Sunshine's camera yet, not have a problem with 64's camera when it was god awful.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The games run flawlessly. The collection doesn't work well with the current Switch's CFW so pirated copies have a bit of lag and some crashes.

People really need to stop believing people who have their Switch modded on how badly games run or if there are crashing issues. I remember the same for Pokémon and it was bunk then too.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Some of these reviews genuinely make me wanna write something examining how fans of games approach preservation and restoration differently than fans of almost any other art medium. It's fascinating to me how three classic Mario games can come out, and people will criticize them for not changing or improving enough, whereas say... Many fans would riot if, say, a classic film was re-released with re-done effects, or a classic album was reissued with a completely reworked production.

Not saying gamers are wrong for this. I think a lot of it has to do with the nature of games as a cross-section of art and software where usability becomes a concern that isn't present in other mediums... But, it still completely fascinates me.
It seems pretty weird that gamers are both "games are art and should be taken seriously" and "games that are older than five years are old garbage that you should be able to play for pennies". I also guess "game preservation" is also just a thing when it means you get to download romsets for free off of the internet.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't at the moment. Does the Switch version hold a solid 30fps or does it dip below?

That's good. I first noticed a micro-stutter in the reveal video, but put it aside as an encoding issue.
It'll be a real shame if the the first two games are not locked at 30fps.

They said there is the occasional frame pacing hiccup, but it doesn't drop frames in places where the originals did.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This should be a Criterion collection release. This is a DVD transfer put on a blu ray.

When company like Digital Eclipse exist, people have the right to be pissed by this product. The end consummer doesn't give a shit that NERD developped good emulators that will somehow be used in future products ( but not too many, because Nintendo) . The end result is a barebone release with a jukebox thant nobody will ever use because who the fuck uses its switch as a mp3 player.

Digital Eclipse is hardly a gold standard, I've seen multiple releases from them ship with issues.

This is an improved released compared to the original with no bugs thus far noted, so it is better than a SD on blu-ray, as that would be inferior to the original cinema release. It could of course be better (significantly so), but this post has a fair amount of hyperbole in it.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I find these scores a bit puzzling. I don't think re-releases or "remasters" (which this can't even be considered that) should not be reviewed on the basis of how good the original games are, but on the improvements that are made. And price should be taken deeply into account. I don't know, I hope people enjoy it, but to me this is a complete ripoff.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Where in that review? I looked and it said it eliminated all of the dips from the original.

Under the graphic with the box art and platforms, release date, etc.

Kotaku said:
Also perplexing were frequent bouts of slowdown. I recall the original Super Mario Sunshine running smoothly no matter how many characters were on screen or how much water I'd spray. But in the Super Mario 3D All-Stars port, several trips back to the main hub late in the game are plagued with stuttering, as if the Switch is struggling to keep up with visuals that, apart from the resolution upgrade, were handled just fine by the 19-year-old GameCube. Again, this small inconvenience doesn't ruin the experience, but it does commit the cardinal sin of video game ports: reminding you that it's a port.

kotaku.com

Super Mario 3D All-Stars: The Kotaku Review

Anyone who says “you can’t go home again” obviously never played a Mario game.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, aside from preservation/availability as others have mentioned, games from the past usually feel and look more dated. The camera in Sunshine is atrocious and camera controls are something that 3D gaming has conquered long ago, for example.

720p, no widescreen, and 30fps isn't exactly preserving a game's integrity.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
I don't think it works that way. It's not a pure mathematically thing. Plus Sunshine has aged terrible. It's not a 90 MC game today.

If this had Galaxy 2 and was 40 bucks, it's be in the 90s.

Tbh, if it had Galaxy 2 with the same improvements, I think $60 would be alright, without it, it certainly feels . I guess it's always hard to value those collections, as you can review them in terms of the actual game (pretty good) or the actual work done for this package (pretty poor).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I searched "frame" and "perform" but not slowdown.

Weird that they mentioned that though, other reviews have suggested it's a flawless 30fps unlike the original.

Guess we'll see soon enough. Interesting that it specifies late game. I'd think that, if anywhere, it'd be present in the beginning when it's still covered in paint. I don't recall it getting busier other than Yoshi appearing.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow! AMAZING scores! Congratulations to Nintendo on yet another critically acclaimed new Switch game. How am I supposed to play so many great new games Nintendo??? I hope this makes them a TON of money so that they can afford to keep creating great new games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the visuals and lack of widescreen and keeping 30fps doesn't bother me at all, it's the lack of care for updating the controls that really bothers me. Especially for Galaxy. Mandating touchscreen use in handheld mode for the pointer is incredibly dumb.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
These reviews... Nintendo continues to do the bare minimum and charge a premium for it with zero consequences. It's baffling.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It is by a pretty large margin imo, never really understood the bizarre hate for it I was very surprised when I first found out online that opinions were mixed on it.

As someone that had never played both, Sunshine is far and away a better game to play in 2020. But Galaxy blows them both out the water.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
These reviews... Nintendo continues to do the bare minimum and charge a premium for it with zero consequences. It's baffling.

I honestly, as someone that had never played any of the games, would have happily payed $60 for Galaxy on Switch after playing this collection. But of course that wouldn't work for the majority of Nintendo players.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Waring
How shocking to see most Nintendo centric websites giving it a free pass. /s

It's like Nintendo has cultivated an army of yes-men to endlessly enable their bullshit. Just depressing stuff.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020

I mean, that's kind of my point. A criterion release would remaster the film in a cleaner looking and higher resolution package, but it wouldn't change the framerate of the film, it wouldn't change the aspect ratio of the film. Those are recognized as specific artistic elements of the original work. The goal of Criterion is to preserve the original film as faithfully as possible, in a high-quality remaster.

Again, not saying people are wrong for wanting something different. I just find the difference interesting.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this collection seems like Nintendo just threw some interns on it and called it good.