• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What game are you playing first?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 1,154 55.6%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 448 21.6%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 475 22.9%

• Total voters

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Got my physical today from Best Buy. Haven't had time to play it though but its good knowing you have this limited time release that's only going to go up in value.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Me waiting for this to unlock: "oh hell yeah I'm going to get 120 stars in 64 before moving on this is gonna be sick!"
Me at the end of day 1 of playing: "what was the minimum number of stars to beat the game again?"

64 is rougher than I remember and is sort of a pain to play right now, just not in the right head space for it I guess. Still, I'd like to finish it before moving on to the others.

70 stars.

Kind of feeling like that too. XD Eh whatever, I still love 64, even if it feels kind of rough now.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever decided to keep the motion controls for the manta ray in Galaxy is a genius. Just absolutely brilliant game design that matches what everyone wants in 2020.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think Buoy Base Galaxy was supposed to be bigger originally? I mean it's the only bonus 1-Star Galaxy with a second hidden star, and it's got its own music. Which none of the other bonus galaxies have iirc. I feel like it could've been one of those galaxies with a big starting planet (the one that's in the game) and a bunch of other planets around it

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
At 49 stars in Galaxy. What a game! Never played it originally back on the Wii, but it has aged so damn well.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Best Buy didn't even load my copy on a truck until 7pm tonight when it was supposed to be delivered today.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, does anyone have all the new textures from Super Mario 64? I'm just wondering why they enhanced some textures but not all of them.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo is genius. I finally caved and bought this game since it's a limited run. Lol. Waiting for it to arrive. Pretty excited to play through Sunshine again.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck I dont remember the 8 red coins on TTC being this ridiculous

edit: nevermind I'm an idiot

Last edited:

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine Watermelon defeated. PSA: You can kill the enemies on the beach the same way you defeat Wiggler.

Just one more of the Jank Shine Trio to go.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Wowww the pachinko level in sunshine can go to hell. This one is infuriating, the camera has a mind of its own.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
How's everyone playing Galaxy, joy cons or pro controller? I'm wondering which one is the best and more fun.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Mario 64 looks fantastic in this release! I have played every official release and the PC version too, and this is the best. I love how they handled the texture improvements. I collected 12 stars yesterday and had a great time with it.

I can respect the decision not to use widescreen.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Can I skip the pachinko level if I am not going for all of the shines? :P

Also fuck the monkeys in Tall, Tall Mountain. On the otherhand, I do like the slide there. XD

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I was thinking of getting this if only to celebrate Mario's anniversary, but I definitely won't. Emulation errors in Sunshine? Seriously? This is worse than just "the bare minimum".

Insane Dead

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the controls for mario sunshine are any different when using a gamecube controller? It's been years since I played it on a gamecube haha

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
Goddamn I am struggling to adjust to the new Sunshine control scheme. Fighting Petey Piranha the 2nd time was a freaking nightmare.

I'm usually good with adapting my muscle memory but this one is really grinding at me. I love Sunshine more than most, but the inverted control stick is the worst.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
You know, no matter what, I can't reach the star in "swim into the jet stream" on Mario 64 😡😡 I tried for ages 😭
Spoilers I guess but just in case you are trying to do it without it
It's one of the stars you need a power-up to get. You can't get it without unlocking the power-up in a later level

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I'm playing the game by getting 5 stars in 64, 5 in Sunshine and 5 in Galaxy at a time, it's interesting to play them together like this as it makes everything unique about each game stick out more.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
First day with the collection done. Got 60 stars in Mario 64 - half way done.

Shifting Sand Land is fucking annoying.

But overall, the game is a blast. Haven't played since 2009 or so. Camera is definitely a bother, though.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Mario 64 looks fantastic in this release! I have played every official release and the PC version too, and this is the best. I love how they handled the texture improvements. I collected 12 stars yesterday and had a great time with it.

I can respect the decision not to use widescreen.

I wish the option was there, along with bumping the frame rate up to 60FPS (even if it's interpolated).

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Played Mario 64 since the first time since probably the DS remake.... that's all 120 stars down in one sitting. I certainly didn't plan to do that, but... I think I like the game more now than I ever have. Sure the camera has problems and the movement can be finicky but it's so tightly and smartly designed, the levels are just a joy to jump through and the stars are so satisfying to collect. Very very happy with the time I spent with it.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I just played galaxy for the first time in years and got to Gusty garden collecting everything along the way, I think I'm at 43 stars? Galaxy 1 is a lot smaller than I remember, 2 has more variety in my opinion but I can sit here and play for hours losing track of time

I tried out 64 and it's never been my cup of tea and it seems it still isn't

Sunshine was the main reason I bought this, only 3D mario I hadn't played, the control scheme is certainly "interesting" to say the least, definitely feels closer to 64 in controls than Galaxy

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing the game by getting 5 stars in 64, 5 in Sunshine and 5 in Galaxy at a time, it's interesting to play them together like this as it makes everything unique about each game stick out more.
That's a really cool idea actually. I was just going to blast through Galaxy but I know that risks me never coming back to 64 and Sunshine

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
Having a blast with Sunshine. I thought the port had really fucked up the input lag at first, since I really didn't remember all that much when I replayed it on Dolphin about a year ago. But then I also thought, this is the first time playing a game since we got this TV for the living room. Apparently game mode matters on a Samsung. :P

Controlling way better now, very close to peak nostalgia. If only my Gamecube controller would work for this collection (even if it did I don't need those wires draping across the living room with 5 dogs and toddler roaming about).

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I started with Mario 64. The 4:3 ratio makes the screen feel so small and the camera is annoying. Still a pretty enjoyable game so far. I'm at around 25 stars after a few hours.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine feels as if it were a Mario game outsourced to DIMPS.

I started with Mario 64. The 4:3 ratio makes the screen feel so small and the camera is annoying. Still a pretty enjoyable game so far. I'm at around 25 stars after a few hours.

Zooming out is best for general purposes but isn't good for when you need better depth perception. Camera feels way too close normally.