• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What game are you playing first?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 1,154 55.6%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 448 21.6%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 475 22.9%

• Total voters

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Alright, I'm gonna check 4 shops now and see if any of them will have one physical copy left - if not I'm just gonna download it in around 2 hours once I return. Wish me luck! Can't wait to finally play it later :)

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Galaxy is gorgeous, the only thing that bothers me is the camera that is mostly fixed.

Sunshine only played for a bit and looked pretty good.

64 has a pretty rough camera. Did it really need to have that annoying sound every time you turn the camera?

Mostly satisfied with the package but really wish Nintendo would overhaul the camera for 64 and Galaxy.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Gonna give each game a go for half an hour. Cleared most of the first floor in SM64, and now i'm moving on to Sunshine.

I'm used to the PC port of SM64, so 30 FPS was a little jarring at first, but it's still the game I know and love.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Galaxy as expected plays extremely well, only thing is there's still aliasing but outside of that it looks fantastic. It's probably the only one out of the 3 I'll bother finishing.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Can you not do burst sprays in Sunshine anymore now that the triggers are gone? Feels almost impossible now to catch Bowser Jr. without shotgun sprays.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As old as Mario 64 is. It's so great in handheld. Tried sunshine too and it looks great. Never played galaxy so I guess I'm in for a treat ??? Loving so far

I would kill for a Zelda Oot/mm/WW/TP collection.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Galaxy is magical so far. Just wow. Rosalina seems very mysterious... lol
Yeah she definitely keeps up that sense of mystery and goddess factor in Galaxy.... it was pretty big tonal whiplash putting her in Mario Kart, other spinoffs and a playable character in 3D World and hearing her all cheery like the rest of the Mario cast.

Galaxy is what makes her one of my favorite characters.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Man, Galaxy is magical so far. Just wow. Rosalina seems very mysterious... lol

Just wait until you go inside of her library often as more chapters of the book that she reads opens up throughout the game. She has a backstory on how she came to be.

Yeah she definitely keeps up that sense of mystery and goddess factor in Galaxy.... it was pretty big tonal whiplash putting her in Mario Kart, other spinoffs and a playable character in 3D World and hearing her all cheery like the rest of the Mario cast.

Galaxy is what makes her one of my favorite characters.

It's too bad we don't see much of her on Galaxy 2.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Mario 64's camera isn't great but I've found that always having it zoomed out helps immensely. For me at least.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Funny thing about SM64; I kind of wish they did LESS to it than they did. The uprezzed textures look weird to me, the fonts creep me out, and its weird to be playing the Shindou version in English, lol.

That said, it's still 64, and I love 64 a lot, so I'll gladly continue playing. Got 40 some stars in the time I got to play so far.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking shit I just realised, I play with the split pad pro in handheld mode and I just remembered galaxy has motion fuck this

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until you go inside of her library often as more chapters of the book that she reads opens up throughout the game. She has a backstory on how she came to be.

It's too bad we don't see much of her on Galaxy 2.
Of course I always love Rosalina, but I kinda like the way seeing her was basically a reward for beating the game and the ultimate level.... it's like they knew the power she had over me lol

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I posted it in the other thread but I feel like I'm going nuts over Galaxy. I'm used to play it at locked 60fps at 4k on Dolphin with my PC and yet the Switch version feels far smoother than it ever did on my PC, as if the Switch has better frame-times. Am I the only one who feels this?

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I never order "Day One" games from Amazon, too many times I'll get it the day after it releases or sometimes waaaay later.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Played about 2 hours of each game so far.

64 was rough for the first 20 minutes but after that it's been good. The camera was making me feel sick but I adjusted. The game is actually a bit better then I remembered, and the game is really good at teaching you how 3D games work in smart ways.

The first hour of Sunshine is bad. Watch a bad Cutscene, fight a bad boss, fight the same boss again, chase shadow Mario, fight the same boss again, fight the same boss a fourth time and there's been hardly any platforming yet. Getting to Rico Harbour is great but I wish the whole game could be this good.

Galaxy holds up. Other then a few ugly textures in the new galaxy the game could have easily been a 2020 release without any issues. I still like Galaxy 2 more, but if anyone hasn't played Galaxy yet, this game is easily worth the $60.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you not do burst sprays in Sunshine anymore now that the triggers are gone? Feels almost impossible now to catch Bowser Jr. without shotgun sprays.
The backflip gives you a burst. Spray in place and press jump.
If you press Jump slightly before R you can get him do do it without him backflipping but its difficult to consistently time correctly.

Edit: Or maybe its press them at the same time. Its inconsistent if you don't want the backflip.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon France fucked up, I preordered the day it was possible two weeks ago, preorders were possible even a few days after, then the game went unavailable.
They took money early this week, which is quite unusual as they tend to take it on the day they ship, and today they told me that they don't know when the game will be back in stock, thus ship it to me...

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Are the blue coins important in sunshine or is it just for 100% folks ?
I loved playing sunshine as a kid but don't remember any pain about blue coins

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I don't remember getting this annoyed while playing 64 a year or two ago

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
With all the absolute bullshit going on I'd forgotten the date. Went physical so just need to wait for it to drop through the door, but between it and Hades it's nice to have a random sanity buffer pop in to help.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
For people playing already, how'd Nintendo remap Sunshine's spray and walk move, which you used to do by pressing the shoulder button halfway?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
For people playing already, how'd Nintendo remap Sunshine's spray and walk move, which you used to do by pressing the shoulder button halfway?
It's split between two buttons. ZR to spray while moving, R to spray standing still.

Which sucks, because now we can't use the Switch's own GameCube controller, because it doesn't have enough buttons.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Do we know how they managed to do the waggle and Pointer function in galaxy?
I guess waggle is just a button.
Pointer down with Right analogue?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Have only played the first galaxy or so of Galaxy on the Wii, but have already got 20 stars so far on the Switch

I'm loving it, so much.

Graphics are amazing and performance is really solid.

Playing it docked is ideal, tho. Not having motion controls in handheld is a bummer.

Having to touch the screen in order to progress is reaaaally cumbersome sometimes.

It's playable in handheld, but it's a less enjoyable experience

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Have only played the first galaxy or so of Galaxy on the Wii, but have already got 20 stars so far on the Switch

I'm loving it, so much.

Graphics are amazing and performance is really solid.

Playing it docked is ideal, tho. Not having motion controls in handheld is a bummer.

Having to touch the screen in order to progress is reaaaally cumbersome sometimes.

It's playable in handheld, but it's a less enjoyable experience
That's a shame. I play exclusively handheld so appreciate you putting that out so I can temper the hype when I reach it.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This game is literally sold out everywhere. I haven't seen this since Halo 3 / CoD MW2 where pre-orders were an absolute must. I'm going to check one last shop a bit but I'm okay with downloading it off the store. The box would've been fun, but it's all about the games in the end.

The sales numbers will be bonkers though...

Papo

May 7, 2020
Handheld Galaxy felt a little off, however u can use the joycons tracker pointer controls on the Switch screen itself! Played like that for a bit.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Yo! Luckily I got a copy in also the first shop I visited - the cashier there wanted to sell me a second copy as some 'sort of investment' lol.

I'm so glad I also have my day off today, so there is plenty of time for me to get into it.

I also wanted to ask you guys: how do you approach these games? Meaning: which will you play first and also continue playing? I honestly think I will play each game for around 2 hours today and afterwards juggle my way through. I definitely plan to 100% each one :)

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if it's a "lazy" collection, and I don't care if people think it's the worst 3D Mario game... seeing Sunshine looking beautiful on the Switch is awesome, and I can't wait to play it.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I have 50 stars in 64 and I haven't even entered dire dire docks yet.
So far I have got 7 stars in all the beginning levels + Big Boos Haunt and Shifting Sand Land.
Recon I will have 120 by tommorow.