• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They were never gonna completely remake Mario 64 and then sell it as part of a collection instead of standalone. Honestly I'd rather have seen this package be Sunshine+Galaxy 1&2 and had them save 64 for an actual standalone remake. Oh well.

I'm not opposed to remakes but I still believe pretty strongly in game preservation, and honestly picturing Mario 64 remade as a modern game just feels like taking away some of what makes it... Mario 64. The weird primitive polygons, low quality textures, and empty game worlds are so much of that game's personality for me. The lack of detail leaves room to the imagination and gives it a certain atmosphere and vibe. So if there was a remake I'd still want the option to play the original.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not opposed to remakes but I still believe pretty strongly in game preservation, and honestly picturing Mario 64 remade as a modern game just feels like taking away some of what makes it... Mario 64. The weird primitive polygons, low quality textures, and empty game worlds are so much of that game's personality for me. The lack of detail leaves room to the imagination and gives it a certain atmosphere and vibe. So if there was a remake I'd still want the option to play the original.
Sure, I get that. Pointless to ponder anyway cause it clearly isn't happening.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

knowing nintendo (and just modern gaming in general) the remake would be way more hand-holdy, too.

some of the missions in sm64 are pretty opaque but that rewards experimentation and discovery. like, take a certain star in whomp's fortress. modern nintendo would have a little cutscene play when you get into the cannon showing you exactly where you're supposed to shoot

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I have to guess, it's because one is Sony and one is Nintendo.

Extra guess: it's because The Last of Us is a "real game" while the Mario Games aren't.
I don't think it's that, I think it's because TLOUR released during the launch window game drought for PS4 and a lot of people didn't have a PS3 so it made sense from that perspective for new PlayStation owners. Also it was still a recent game at that point.

I think people are mainly bother by the lack of features added to these ports, not the existence of the collection itself. Mario 64's port does seem pretty barebones since it's still 4:3 and doesn't have a performance boost. Sunshine is better but no performance boost there either. Galaxy is good.

If these ports were as good as the Zelda remasters on Wii U no one would be complaining, imo.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
knowing nintendo (and just modern gaming in general) the remake would be way more hand-holdy, too.

some of the missions in sm64 are pretty opaque but that rewards experimentation and discovery. like, take a certain star in whomp's fortress. modern nintendo would have a little cutscene play when you get into the cannon showing you exactly where you're supposed to shoot

Was Link's Awakening significantly more handholdy in the remake? I didn't buy it.

Like I dunno, I felt the same way about that game. Cute graphics update but when the original game was 5 bucks on the 3DS I didn't feel better graphics and a few QOL updates were enough to bite at 60 bucks. I feel like a full on Mario 64 remake would be a similarly unappealing value proposition, unless it had significant new content like the 3D World rerelease does.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
it really wasn't, so maybe they wouldn't change it. and maybe I'm thinking less "modern nintendo" and more, like, skyward sword-era nintendo.

I felt Mario Odyssey hit a fairly measured balance. Like yeah the big story Moons have a grand cinematic showing the way but for the most part after that you're pretty much left to your own devices, and you can pay for hints and whatnot but it never felt intrusive. I guess some people might have found Cappy annoying though.

I do think a Mario 64 remake would probably do the "tease the Star location in a cutscene" thing which takes away some of the fun.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
LOL at some guys here defending the Limited Time practice. That's surely in the Top 5 of bullshit practices done by a gaming company

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Can you tell me what it is? Cause I honestly don't know. Last of Us remastered increased the resolution, framerate and draw distance right? Galaxy will do 2 of those things, and it already ran at 60 fps. Otherwise both games have some small tweaks here and there.

What's the difference?

I agree that they're remasters, but they're much more barebones/basic than The Last of Us.

The Last of Us Remastered had the following:

-Increased Resolution
-Bump up to 60 FPS
-Utilization of the DualShock's touchpad and speaker
-Photo Mode
-Includes the Left Behind DLC and Grounded Mode
-Developer commentary added
-4x detail increase to texture maps and a 2x resolution boost to shadow maps
-Longer draw distance and better LoD
-Improved particle effects
-Re-rendered cutscenes from 30 to 60 FPS

I'm bummed out about Mario 64 not including widescreen and 60 FPS, and I'd like to have had 60 FPS in Sunshine, too. Ah well.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I don't think it's that, I think it's because TLOUR released during the launch window game drought for PS4 and a lot of people didn't have a PS3 so it made sense from that perspective for new PlayStation owners. Also it was still a recent game at that point.

I think people are mainly bother by the lack of features added to these ports, not the existence of the collection itself. Mario 64's port does seem pretty barebones since it's still 4:3 and doesn't have a performance boost. Sunshine is better but no performance boost there either. Galaxy is good.

If these ports were as good as the Zelda remasters on Wii U no one would be complaining, imo.

For the life of me I couldn't remember a remaster like this tho, three games packed into a single one package. I think 60 is actually fair for the amount of content that we get, especially for anyone that hasn't played any or two or all the games. Not to mention the added value of playing them on the go (this is also a "feature" that no one seems to include when they measure the value vis a vis the price).

I couldn't comment on Sunshine since I havent played it but both Mario 64 and especially SMG are big games with plenty of content in themselves.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It's been 5 years since I played it on the wii u, sorry for forgetting a pendantic difference. Either way, there is still a difference between a remaster and an upscaled port.
It's not at all pedantic. The Wii U renders Wii games at their native resolution (pretty much universally 480p to my knowledge, but there might be exceptions) and upscales it to whatever your output resolution is (up to 1080p). A misconception about upscaling is that it always makes the image look better. Depending on the method used, it can, but most real-time solutions (before DLSS, anyway) are effectively just blowing the image up; no further detail is gained, and it can actually look blurrier than the base image.

3D All-Stars is rendering the image at 1080p to start. There's no 480p base image, no upscaling, nothing; it's running like it would if the Wii were powerful enough to run in HD in the first place. You will be able to see details that the original hardware wasn't producing.

Is that a remaster? Maybe, maybe not; I find most "remasters" have higher resolution textures, and maybe some tweaked lighting and better post-processing. I don't believe this collection does any of that for Sunshine and Galaxy.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
I think it's a little unfair being so harsh with Nintendo considering their track record. In the past they have been really great at remastering single titles polishing up the experience & adding new content for returning players (e.g. WInd Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD). There is a 3D World remaster coming with new content, and so on...

They are selling us these titles alone for $60. Is this a little steep? Maybe. Are there lots of people from a new generation that haven't had the chance to play these games? Yes. Are the games still sooo good and fun still that they warrant a $60 purchase? I think so.

Ultimately, you are judging Nintendo for releasing 3 full scale Mario titles in one package making it $20 per title, which I think is fair. Could they have done more? Maybe. But man, this thing will contain hours of fun and you know it.

(The limited release thing is bullshit though)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Ah right, those are the series that I don't have any investment in, so I don't really know about them.

What about the prices of those packages, and the extra features featured in them? Comparable to what we have here or less or more?

I'd say for they were somewhat better since they were all widescreen and 60 FPS (not sure on this one but I know all the MGS games were 60 FPS, which helped a lot for Peace Walker since that game CHUGGED on PSP), though they did cut skateboarding from MGS2 which bummed me out lol. Those collections were also largely of games that were not nearly as old as these ones are now which made them seem like better value propositions at the time. Some of them might not have been $60 at launch either, not sure.

Deleted member 63139

Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I think it's a little unfair being so harsh with Nintendo considering their track record. In the past they have been really great at remastering single titles polishing up the experience & adding new content for returning players (e.g. WInd Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD). There is a 3D World remaster coming with new content, and so on...

They are selling us these titles alone for $60. Is this a little steep? Maybe. Are there lots of people from a new generation that haven't had the chance to play these games? Yes. Are the games still sooo good and fun still that they warrant a $60 purchase? I think so.

Ultimately, you are judging Nintendo for releasing 3 full scale Mario title in one package making it $20 per title, which I think is fair. Could they have done more? Maybe. But man, this thing will contain hours of fun and you know it.

(The limited release thing is bullshit though)

For ME, and that's just my opinion, I'm harsh because Nintendo, next to those titles, did not really release new games for so long.

So it's like,..(because they have tons of studios, not just Paper Mario and AC) after so much time you realize they are selling a "lazy" port, and the 64 version is not even the DS version,...Mario Galaxy 2 will certainly be sold next year separately...(maybe something like Mario 3D world or Xenoblade, a deeper remake with a future-connected like epilogue).

The price I'm paying is 40E for me, The game is at 55E and the store in France has a 15E cashback (a coupon I will use for PS5 games or other switch games), so not a big deal since I never finished Mario Sunshine...and never played Galaxy.

I'm a little disappointed but nothing more tbh.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Ah right, those are the series that I have little to no investment in, so I don't really know about them.

What about the prices of those packages, and the extra features featured in them? Comparable to what we have here or less or more?

If memory serves me correctly those collections were priced 40 euro.

There are also the God of war, Splinter Cell, Lego games, uncharted and Prince of Persia collection for example.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If I'm honest, a Mario 64 remake seems pointless to me. It is not a game like Resident Evil 2 or FF VII where you can reimagine the story or the gameplay. The only change would be graphics and that is very low on my priority lists.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If I'm honest, a Mario 64 remake seems pointless to me. It is not a game like Resident Evil 2 or FF VII where you can reimagine the story or the gameplay. The only change would be graphics and that is very low on my priority lists.

Yeah, it just feels like it would be a graphical and technical facelift, which, cool, but not something I think is worth pouring time and resources into. If you reimagined Mario 64 to the degree that you did with RE2 or FF7 you might as well just make a new game. Those games could do that because they were story-driven and you could experience those story beats in new and novel ways. I don't know how you make Mario freeing the Chain Chomp cinematic and exciting in a way that matters.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. So yeah, the value proposition was much better. I get Nintendo values their software highly and that's their business but asking for full price without even basics like widescreen and 60 FPS just feels like a lot.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly I'm fine with them not overhauling the graphics.

Super Mario All Stars did Super Mario Bros. 3 poorly. It lost the abstract look it was going for in many stages.

Having the game be "how you remember it" rather than how it was is fine by me.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, it just feels like it would be a graphical and technical facelift, which, cool, but not something I think is worth pouring time and resources into. If you reimagined Mario 64 to the degree that you did with RE2 or FF7 you might as well just make a new game. Those games could do that because they were story-driven and you could experience those story beats in new and novel ways. I don't know how you make Mario freeing the Chain Chomp cinematic and exciting in a way that matters.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. So yeah, the value proposition was much better. I get Nintendo values their software highly and that's their business but asking for full price without even basics like widescreen and 60 FPS just feels like a lot.
Yes, that's why I think remakes of games where the gameplay and level design are memorable are a waste of time.

I think the same about Ocarina of Time. What are you going to do, make new dungeons with the same theme? That's another game.

The same thing happened to me playing Crash and Spyro Trilogy, they looked great but the gameplay was still the same as PSX and it had not aged particularly well.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime Trilogy bundled 3 full games from within the 7 years before it, revamping the controls of prime 1 and 2, updating audio quality, other updates, and in a premium steelbook with a full artbook.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty hilarious just how different the response is in this forum vs. what I see others talking about IRL. Most people (including myself) are just so excited to have a collection of 3 fantastic games. Nobody cares about the limited time, nobody cares that there aren't more changes.

This is much simpler than the forum makes it out to be - at the end of the day, this is three fantastic Mario games in one package. It's one of the most enticing products on Nintendo's platform for that alone.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ah right, those are the series that I have little to no investment in, so I don't really know about them.

I know you said you have little to no investment in those series but.... I feel like every franchise has done this?

We just had Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 the other day. Crash & Spyro remakes the past few years. Phoenix Wright Trilogy, various Mega Man collections (original, X, Zero, etc), Castlevania, FFX/X2, Uncharted Collection, Batman Return to Arkham, Master Chief Collection, Bioshock Collection, etc.

There's a huge list lol.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For ME, and that's just my opinion, I'm harsh because Nintendo, next to those titles, did not really release new games for so long.

So it's like,..(because they have tons of studios, not just Paper Mario and AC) after so much time you realize they are selling a "lazy" port, and the 64 version is not even the DS version,...Mario Galaxy 2 will certainly be sold next year separately...(maybe something like Mario 3D world or Xenoblade, a deeper remake with a future-connected like epilogue).

The DS version of Mario 64 is terrible and deserves to languish in obscurity.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
I personally couldn't care that more work wasn't some to Mario 64. It's being released the same way it was back in 1996. Heck it's even on a cartridge like it was back then. I'd rather have the game as I remember than it possibly not being ruined by a remake. As for the collection as a whole, I've never played sunshine of Galaxy. So for me, this is a great Value proposition.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The same thing happened to me playing Crash and Spyro Trilogy, they looked great but the gameplay was still the same as PSX and it had not aged particularly well.

I'm fine with those just being graphics facelifts because 3-in-1 is a good value and they were a killer deal at 40 bucks, even if I don't think those games hold a candle to stuff like Mario 64 and Galaxy. I was never "tricked" for lack of a better word though that I was playing a modern game. They were very much late 90s 3D platformers, unlike RE2make and FF7R which play like modern games.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Pretty hilarious just how different the response is in this forum vs. what I see others talking about IRL. Most people (including myself) are just so excited to have a collection of 3 fantastic games. Nobody cares about the limited time, nobody cares that there aren't more changes.

This is much simpler than the forum makes it out to be - at the end of the day, this is three fantastic Mario games in one package. It's one of the most enticing products on Nintendo's platform for that alone.

Yep, this. Before the rumors started, I thought I would never be able to play Sunshine due to Nintendo seemingly trying to forget about it. Now it's here, along with two other games. I expected Galaxy to show up on the Switch, and I expected 64 to make it onto Switch Online, but never Sunshine.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
They're handing their consumers a low effort remaster of an ancient game bundled with two ports of old games and charging $60 for it. They're also playing against their fanbase's FOMO by having a limited run for some reason, in true Nintendo fashion.

No one is forcing anyone to buy the games though. If someone doesn't want to get the games, then they shouldn't. It's not exploitation or oppression. If Nintendo were the only video game company in the world, then we'd be talking.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo's games are rarely so heavily front-loaded. Typically they sell gangbusters but because of their evergreen status and resulting legs.

it's too early to call this front-loaded because we don't know what the sales curve (such that it is, for six months) is going to look like

if what you mean is that nintendo games rarely have big launches, well, i'd disagree with you there

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
With the switch Nintendo has reached apple status where whatever they make, low effort or high effort product, it will sell well. Clearly very good for nintendo, I just hope they do not learn the wrong lessons from it. I want more links awakening type remakes and less simple upresses of n64 games. If activision can do it, so can nintendo!

You do bring up a good point Jerez they gave links awakening a proper remake so why do people not think that Nintendo releasing the games as they are was a purposeful decision to give people the games as they were in celebration of what they'd achieved?

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think its so much of the limited aspect as much as its playing super mario galaxy and the others on switch. I personally bought it for galaxy and sunshine. Galaxy 2 not being in is ass though unless they plan on remastering it and making new content for it which would be great lol.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Thinking that such high sales are due to the fact that the game is supposed to be limited is pretty naive in my opinion.

It's a Mario collection containing popular and beloved Mario games. It was always gonna be one of the biggest games of the year.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm fine with them not overhauling the graphics.

Super Mario All Stars did Super Mario Bros. 3 poorly. It lost the abstract look it was going for in many stages.

Having the game be "how you remember it" rather than how it was is fine by me.
i feel the same, i didn't think they should remake 64 in the first place. i'm fine with the price too, didn't expect it to be anything full price.
my biggest issue with the collection are limited availability which makes no sense to me, and 64 not being wide-screen.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty surprised. Mario games never seem to generate much discussion so I always have this feeling that there isn't much interest in the series outside of the new releases.

Deleted member 63139

Banned
Jan 17, 2020
The DS version of Mario 64 is terrible and deserves to languish in obscurity.

That's your opinion and I respect that, I would have liked to have the choice at least ;).

LOL at some guys here defending the Limited Time practice. That's surely in the Top 5 of bullshit practices done by a gaming company

Absolutely. I can already sense the All-star Volume 2.

What's the point ? Forcing people to buy it for the winter holidays ? shameful.

I remember when they actually released new, quality games (or at least huge IP) to drive holidays sales.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
Amazing how stupid a lot of people can be. Not even going to wait to hear if the ports are good?

Enjoy this limited run future. The experiment almost certainly succeeded.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I know you said you have little to no investment in those series but.... I feel like every franchise has done this?

We just had Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 the other day. Crash & Spyro remakes the past few years. Phoenix Wright Trilogy, various Mega Man collections (original, X, Zero, etc), Castlevania, FFX/X2, Uncharted Collection, Batman Return to Arkham, Master Chief Collection, Bioshock Collection, etc.

There's a huge list lol.

Right, i feel stupid now x_x For some reason I deadass forgot about them all, sigh me and my stupid arse brain.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
And yet Amazon hasn't curtailed preorders since they went up, which tells me that Nintendo is releasing a lot of copies of this game.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Metroid Prime Trilogy bundled 3 full games from within the 7 years before it, revamping the controls of prime 1 and 2, updating audio quality, other updates, and in a premium steelbook with a full artbook.

…okay?

no one is saying that wasn't a great deal.

this is mario. metroid isn't mario. mario is worth more to most people. these are some of the most beloved games ever. they had to give the metroid collection more bells and whistles to get it to sell.

do i wish they had given this set more bells and whistles? of course. but it seems pretty clear that an awful lot of people don't think those are necessary for a set of three great mario games to be worth $60.

i don't get why people keep comparing this to crash and spyro and the like. those were pretty much dead brands when those collections launched. metroid is, if we're being honest, a B-tier nintendo property. mario is perennially one of the most loved and best-selling names in gaming. the public is not going to value those series the same, and the collections are priced to reflect that.

if activision thought they could get $60 for a quick remaster of three crash games, they would have done that.