• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Incase anyone else is concerned, Polygon article got a comment from nintendo which states the following:

Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.

Article: https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/21420227/super-mario-3d-all-stars-galaxy-switch-motion-controls-wii
Oooh, the touch screen. That's smart.

Can't wait to play Galaxy on the go, holy shit.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Joycons aren't required if you do single player.

lot of people seemingly miss the fact the * that details the requirement of joycons is about Co-Star mode

This is going in circles. So what do you use for the parts of the game I referred to? Parts that required a pointer.

edit: ah, sounds like it's touch screen

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
Incase anyone else is concerned, Polygon article got a comment from nintendo which states the following:

Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.

Article: https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/21420227/super-mario-3d-all-stars-galaxy-switch-motion-controls-wii
touchscreen replacing pointer functionality in handheld galaxy sounds horrible

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that after March 31st they just sell the games individually. (Mario 64 - $10, Sunshine $20, and Galaxy $30) and then release galaxy 2 later for $30. like right now if you wanted to buy galaxy for Wii GameStop is selling it for $34.99 pre-owned...

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
Would've preferred to buy these separately. Not a fan of these bundles. I'd rather start a game directly rather than launching an in-bundle game launcher from the console's game launcher.
I think that you'll likely have the opportunity to buy them a la carte starting in April after the window closes. That's the popular theory at least.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, I'm stoked. Nintendo's vault-style approach aside (discussed in other thread), I love curating a collection of classics on Switch, and these are essentials. 64 and Galaxy are among my faves, but hot damn does Sunshine look good in HD. Remakes would be cool, but I'm happy having these all in one place in HD.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I think that you'll likely have the opportunity to buy them a la carte starting in April after the window closes. That's the popular theory at least.
I mean you'd think that. But I only buy digitally, so I don't want to risk it. If they're insane enough to literally just not sell these games after the window closes, I'd be left without a way to ever buy them.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The games are were fully expected at this point, but it's pretty damn bare-bones for the price. Just straight ports with only 16:9 support added. Still getting it of course, but I would have liked to see a bit higher effort release.

Oct 25, 2017
its so funny nintendo took an obvious slam dunk product and straight up not including one of the games isnt the most confusing aspect of the release

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Wait they didn't rework Galaxy to play with the Pro controller? WTF
I haven't seen anyone else say this. Where did you see that? I think when I preordered I saw the Pro controller under the eShop info.

edit: Supported Controllers: Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Directly from the eShop listing.

Pointer on Galaxy could use gyro or maybe the right analogue stick.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eww, I don't want to use a touch screen when playing a 3D Mario game lol. Just make stars like nuts and bolts in R&C and have them automatically magnetized to Mario.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I hope that after March 31st they just sell the games individually. (Mario 64 - $10, Sunshine $20, and Galaxy $30) and then release galaxy 2 later for $30. like right now if you wanted to buy galaxy for Wii GameStop is selling it for $34.99 pre-owned...
If they sell the games individually (and I doubt it) you can bet they will be 30$ each.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
64 is lowest priority for me. It's my least favorite and looks the least improved.

Galaxy and Sunshine I can clearly see the difference.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
For the people who already own the original games in any way just don't bother with this low effort collection.

Dolphin is a much better way to experience this games.
Sounds really pretentious to say that when the majority of the people here want to have it physical or you know can't use the way to use emulator

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I mean you'd think that. But I only buy digitally, so I don't want to risk it. If they're insane enough to literally just not sell these games after the window closes, I'd be left without a way to ever buy them.
Totally! If you're as eager as I am to have a mobile version of Sunshine + Galaxy, then I wouldn't risk it. But it would be pretty wild if they provide 0 options for buying the game after April. Nintendo has done crazier things though, haha.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
BestBuy.ca and EBGames.ca both have this, but neither Amazon.ca nor Amazon.com (!) do. Bizarre.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
64 really with no updated textures and widescreeen? WTH?

i've seen the "PC" port on youtube and it was amazing.

Oct 29, 2017
Touch screen is a much better option than the stupid right stick; that would be godawful.

Nintendo made the right choice.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
So, what possible reason is there for the 64 port not being widescreen, when Sunshine is? After being reminded that the 64 PC port runs on the New 3DS in widescreen, I'm further disappointed by it being 4:3 here.

Also, got my preorder in at Amazon US. Might cancel it since the physical version isn't anything special like All-Stars was back on the Wii, but I'm going to hold onto it for now.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Website calls King Bob-omb "Big Bob-Omb". Are they retconning character names in this too?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

This actually is pretty good, spin must be mapped to a button then like 3D World?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
They will say the controls but they're wrong, it's all there with switch (analogue stick)
I mean it's definitely a different art style, but...
maxresdefault.jpg

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Lol as somebody who grew up with the DS version, I don't see how it's not objectively better, but hey. All I know is it added loads of content.
A lot of fairly mediocre content, at the price of the whole game looking horrible

The controls were also terrible on the DS (being limited to a d-pad), but obviously at least that wouldn't be an issue on a Switch port

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know. Maybe it's me, but I feel like Nintendo has become complacent with the Switch and I do feel a lack of consistent quality content. Not just during COVID, frankly I've felt this since 2018.

I too have been a little disappointed starting with 2018. I thought with only having to support one platform, Nintendo would have a lot more games. They seem to have very, very few internal games, and a huge amount of externally-developed games, yet they have more internal employees now than ever before. I get that game development costs are increasing and the development cycles are getting longer, but 2018 was a super light year in terms of software output, and 2019 wasn't much better. 2020 has just been brutal. Even without COVID, I feel like this year would've been super light, but at least 3D World + Bowser's Fury would have made it by December. I hope 2021 is a repeat of 2017 and we just get dumped on.