• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I think it was inevitable Nintendo would try to pull this when it became clear digital was going to be the way forward pretty soon.

I actually think they may reconsider this one though tbf.
I hope so because this is going to be absolutely terrible for everyone. Game preservation is already questionable enough with digital games as it is. Now we're putting time limits on digital games? Absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't even expect this from the worst publishers out there.

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
It should had been either cheaper or have more improvements.

Digital limited edition is so weird. I would try to get the physical edition but the cover art isn't very interesting.

As someone who has never played Sunshine or Galaxy...I'm in! Can definitely understand the frustrations from some, but looks great to me.

Same. And only played 64 at my neighbours, never played it properly.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
ShopTo is absolutely borked, but thankfully I was able to get an Amazon pre-order in (albeit for £49.99).

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
- No Galaxy 2
- No 16:9 for 64
- Limited Time playground for Scalpers
- Absolutely not remasters at all. Just high res ports. Seriously, they couldn't have upped the model quality on 64, or man even the aspect ratio again like, seriously?

This is the absolutely worst they could have handled this. This is the most barebones, worst version of this collection. I am amazed and so disappointed.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
GameXplain discussion video on this, not sure if it has been posted yet -

They said amatuers with the 64 source code were able to get Super Mario 64 running at 60 FPS and 16:9 within a day of work.

Well, shows how much effort they're putting into this collection lol. What a damn shame, seriously. 1080p and 60fps for all would've been enough, but not even that...
Edit: And no, this isn't a "lazy devs" post or anything, it's Nintendo deciding not to improve these games for a re-release.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It isn't. Your use of Tomb Raider DE as an example leads me to believe that you haven't really kept up with the technical side of these current-gen versions.

Onimusha is advertised as a high resolution/definition version of the PS2 game, it's not a remaster.

TR DE is an actual remaster, upgraded and enhanced graphics, new graphical features like TressFX, new character models, higher performance, etc.

Actually biggest difference with Tomb Raider DE is 1080p res compared to 720p, everything else is smaller and less noticeable differences.

A high-definition remaster of the first game, Onimusha: Warlords, was released in January 2019 for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows.
en.wikipedia.org

Onimusha - Wikipedia

Port is exactly same game just for different system, and 1080p compared to 480p alone is game changer so I dont see how you can call for instance Mario Galaxy on Switch rom port.

Murugo

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If the resolution details that some websites have shared are definitve (they are, the game is going to release soon), Nintendo is not even upgrading Galaxy to run at 1080p all the time :

Super Mario 64
Docked mode: 960 × 720 pixels - Handheld mode: 960 × 720 pixels

Super Mario Sunshine
Docked mode: 1920 × 1080 pixels - Handheld mode: 1280 × 720 pixels

Super Mario Galaxy
Docked mode: Up to 1920 x 1080 pixels - Handheld mode: Up to 1280 x 720 pixels

So, they release 2 30 FPS games and a "up to" 1080p game (a port of a 2007 game).

What a mess, even if the pixel count is almost always 1080p-

I was waiting to play Sunshine until this collection came out, but now it seems there's no point. Might as well get a better experience on Dolphin.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I havent bought a full price game for my Switch since Smash Ultimate.
This is a must cop for me. Ive never played 64 or Galaxy... and i absolutely adore Sunshine

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
And only a week after even Activision shows us how an actual fair and competent remaster can look like with THPS.
Funnily enough, Activision has been showing us how it's done for a few years now. Crash Trilogy, Crash Team Racing, Spyro Trilogy and now Tony Hawk, all of which released and are releasing at $40.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
- No Galaxy 2
- No 16:9 for 64
- Limited Time playground for Scalpers
- Absolutely not remasters at all. Just high res ports. Seriously, they couldn't have upped the model quality on 64, or man even the aspect ratio again like, seriously?

This is the absolutely worst they could have handled this. This is the most barebones, worst version of this collection. I am amazed and so disappointed.

It's pretty amazing that, like, 16:9 support was the literal worst case bare minimum most people were hoping for 64, and, like, we didn't even get that.
With Nintendo, you need to start your expectations with the bare minimum, and then you take it down one more notch.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So when they say limited digital release for this, and that it's getting taken down in March, does that mean it will be off the Eshop entirely? Like, even those who bought it won't be able to redownload it anymore? Because that would be awful.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So when they say limited digital release for this, and that it's getting taken down in March, does that mean it will be off the Eshop entirely? Like, even those who bought it won't be able to redownload it anymore? Because that would be awful.
no new purchases, redownloads will be fine

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I agree with Gamexplain (one of them) that having the game 2 weeks from now makes them far more appealing than announcing them before. Yeah the ports are crap, but are almost here now so people will buy them without thinking too much about the fucking scam this pack is.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Preloaded on my Switch

I'm not proud and these remasters could be a LOT better, but hey.

Portable fucking Mario Galaxy

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Funnily enough, Activision has been showing us how it's done for a few years now. Crash Trilogy, Crash Team Racing, Spyro Trilogy and now Tony Hawk, all of which released and are releasing at $40.

I know (let's not even talk about real remakes like RE2 for the same price). But right now the timing just makes Nintendo's offering look even more absurd. Not that their core base of fanboys/girls would care anyway.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is literally the worst possible way to present rerelease these. No effort whatsoever. Pass.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty amazing that, like, 16:9 support was the literal worst case bare minimum most people were hoping for 64, and, like, we didn't even get that.
With Nintendo, you need to start your expectations with the bare minimum, and then you take it down one more notch.

Yeah, I'm used to Nintendo sometimes making bizarre, ass-backwards decisions, but this is just another level. Usually they do SOMETHING right.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asking for $60 bucks for the amount of work Nintendo put into this collection is uhm ... a typical Nintendo move.
I really hope this marketing stunt won't be successful but the game will probably be sold out day1.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I agree with Gamexplain (one of them) that having the game 2 weeks from now makes them far more appealing than announcing them before. Yeah the ports are crap, but are almost here now so people will buy them without thinking too much about the fucking scam this pack is.

Except it's not a scam? We know what we're getting. Nintendo never claimed that it would be anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord, Galaxy is unplayable on Switch Lite without the use of Joycons?

Yeah, that's a hard pass lol. Profoundly mediocre is the kindest I can be towards this collection. It's only being released to make money, not out of passion.

Except it's not a scam? We know what we're getting. Nintendo never claimed that it would be anything else.

I think they're just being hyperbolic and trying to say that the collection is very bad.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I know some people are pissed but for a guy like me it is a fantastic deal. I never played Sunshine, I maybe played through 1/6th of 64 and maybe 1/2 of Galaxy. So for me I would have easily paid 60 bucks to just get to play Galaxy and Sunshine on my Switch. To also get 64 tossed in is icing on the cake.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And you know, this pack makes all the WiiU ports look like an amazing value proposition. You pay 60 € sure. but at least you get recent games that look nice and on par with other Switch games and usually have some good QoL changes or new content.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's a hard pass lol. Profoundly mediocre is the kindest I can be towards this collection. It's only being released to make money, not out of passion.

You just need seperate joycons for the Co-Star mode, that's it.

So will these games have all the exploits that speedrunners are used to or will they "fix" them?

Mario 64 seems to be based on an updated JP-only version that removes the BLJ exploit.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

Apparently it's only the co-op mode that requires an additional Joycon, but your feelings toward this collection still apply lol. If I get it, it'll only be because I've been wanting to replay Galaxy for years now and if a friend is able to score a copy for me for a fair price. Honestly, I would've preferred a Galaxy 1 and 2 pack for $60 a lot more, I would've gladly paid for that.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I wonder if it's worth trying to contact Nintendo directly to voice our disappointments re: limited availability and lack of technical updates. I mean it's obvious this is going to sell a shitload but they should know there's a significant amount of consumers bothered by some of the decisions here.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

I think they're just being hyperbolic and trying to say that the collection is very bad.
Only for Co-op mode.
All 3 games are playable on Lite.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Hard pass on looking it up first? You can play Galaxy with a controller

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Has Nintendo forgotten Galaxy 2 exists? It wasn't in the bundle, nor was it in the big Mario montage are the end. It's odd it's like the only mainline Mario game not mentioned in the whole Direct?