• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Never the damn mind. 64 and Sunshine aren't 60 FPS and 64 is a straight port. Fuck off Nintendo. Keeping it digital limited so people forget about it quickly.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Looks decent.16:9 is appreciated. Some better AA would be nice, though they did mention the games will be running at a higher resolution. Sunshine looked 30 FPS. Probably will pick it up anyway.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Super Mario 3D Most-stars!

What would you have wanted out of a "great" Mario collection?
I know you didn't ask me, but for me it would have been a good collection if:
  • Galaxy 2 was included
  • Every game was 1080p, widescreen and 60 fps
Any bigger changes, (especially for 64 and Sunshine) would have been awesome, but that would've gone above and beyond. The above points should have just been there. The Switch can handle that.

Mario's importance for Nintendo can literally not be overstated, so yeah: people expected them to go all-out for a 35th anniversary collection.
Instead they managed to announce a collection that is not only incomplete, but the games that are included look unimpressive.
I think calling Nintendo lazy for this is understandable, but that's not directed at the developers (I know they work hard and don't make the calls), but at the higher-ups.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Someone leak Mario 64's source code to Nintendo. Imagine what they could do if they had access to it.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Why buy physical and digital?
Indeed. I don't like the insecurity that comes with owning an "available for a limited-time only" digital game from Nintendo. But I also play all my games digital on Switch and don't cartridge swap (BotW is the only physical game I own and it's never left that slot haha).

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
So with how low-effort this remaster is...I can tell I will have to whip out an old guide for the blue coins in Super Mario Sunshine lol.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I mean I love all three of these games but I was hoping they would do more than resolution bump. At full price too? Ehh maybe if they included Galaxy 2 but, it's okay I guess.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I am confused wasn't everyone always bringing up the japan 30 day preorder law? What happened to that?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I just discovered Mario Sunshine Gamecube actually supported widescreen through a cheat code, they just never put the option into a menu to enable it. So that's how they could get it widescreen in this game without making big changes.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I don't get the limited release either. Why!? Makes no sense.

Also I feel like this collection is lackluster. If you take for example Capcom and MegaMan, they add achievements and such. Why couldn't Nintendo do something similar?

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I was actually disappointed that Nintendo did the lowest effort with this collection, still going to buy it since I grew up playing those games and I know I will enjoy them.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I know. I'm still buying it because I'm a sucker for this shit and the nostalgia for Galaxy is too strong.

However "people still buy it," shouldn't be an catch-all excuse to stop people from demanding more from what they do buy. The rules of supply and demand aren't the rules everyone has to follow when creating their opinion.

But, the thing is, the only real way to "demand more" is by not buying it. We all know we will.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
This thread will prove the "screw Nintendo" era is a bubble when the collection is a massive success sales wide.

edit: copying from my recent post in this thread: I didn't mean intend to say "criticisms against the Mario collection are invalid". I just kept seeing the "this collection is barely touched up, screw Nintendo" and felt, it was funny considering that regardless of the comments, it will sell very well, even if it is just small enhancements to these games. That is all. Didn't mean to dismiss any criticisms.

Last edited:

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Just pre-ordered from Best Buy, can't wait! Too bad Sunshine didn't have some kind of enhancement/fix/counter for Blue Coins. Oh well, still will be amazing to finally play these in HD and on the go.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Look, it's a sore spot for me. :P

I get that Nintendo has to shut down fanmade improvements to their games to "protect their IP", but more and more every day it really feels like:

"We need to protect our IP" = "We don't want this stuff making our stuff look bad. Because it definitely does."

Fair enough.

And actually I felt bad, I didn't really mean to single you out. I actually agree with a number of the points people feel sore about.

But there's a general level of hyperbole in these threads which I'm finding kind of depressing, and I think you got the unlucky draw. Sorry about that!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the collection goes up on Amazon. I'm not against getting it digitally since my Switch library is almost exclusively digital (Save for BotW, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade DE, and Wolfenstein II), but I'd rather have this one physically.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Port quality and price, that shit is subjective and arguable all day long. $20 a piece for good games in a collection isn't awful, especially playing them on your current console on the go, even with a perceived lack of effort in porting them. That limited availability shit, Nintendo need to fuck off with that crap. Just sell fucking games, quit with the artificial scarcity crap, your games already hold their value absurdly longer than other games as it is, no need to give scalpers more power on top of that.
Hard to see this as anything other than a cynical, corporate cash grab rather than an actual celebration of their work and legacy. The Disney vault-y shit is very outdated in a world of streaming content and near instant gratification, yet more wacky backward-ass policy from a company that seems to revel in making things just a little bit shitty for no reason.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If SMG2 was coming down the line as DLC they would've toad us already. Don't do this to yourself.

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
I'm fine with the games included (is there any reason why it would be difficult to include Galaxy 2 though, like is there anything about it that's different from the first game?) and the rest of the details, because I don't think any of the games required a big face lift in any way, but pressure needs to be absolutely heaped on Nintendo to backtrack on making this collection a limited time offer, not only physically but digitally too. Like many, I suspect it's so they can sell them at a later date separately but until we hear from them that the pricing will be split equally, this shouldn't be acceptable.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
So essentially i can already play all of this on my PC right now with far more improvements. Sunshine already has a mod that raises the framerate to 60 and the "Sunburn" mod adds a ton of QOL changes to the game that make it far more enjoyable. This collection has none of that. Is there any good excuse for this collection being so unbelievably half arsed in every single way? No Galaxy 2 either, which is one of the best games in the series. Limited? What even is this?
It's the exact thing that was rumored that you refused to believe. I told you, they were going to port 3 games and release them.

Not sure why people were expecting anything more...or less.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
With all the other quality remasters and collections being released out there, and often for a competitive price, this is a legit garbage effort from Nintendo.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario 3D Most-stars!

I know you didn't ask me, but for me it would have been a good collection if:
  • Galaxy 2 was included
  • Every game was 1080p, widescreen and 60 fps
Any bigger changes, (especially for 64 and Sunshine) would have been awesome, but that would've gone above and beyond. The above points should have just been there. The Switch can handle that.

Mario's importance for Nintendo can literally not be overstated, so yeah: people expected them to go all-out for a 35th anniversary collection.
Instead they managed to announce a collection that is not only incomplete, but the games that are included look unimpressive.
I think calling Nintendo lazy for this is understandable, but that's not directed at the developers (I know they work hard and don't make the calls), but at the higher-ups.

I agree, I hope Galaxy 2 is DLC or something. I imagine they must have something in mind for it.

The main thing, as you said, is that calling developers lazy is completely uncalled for and inappropriate. Saying Nintendo is lazy is entirely different, although I still personally wouldn't.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
This thread will prove the "screw Nintendo" era is a bubble when the collection is a massive success sales wide.
Lol, there's nothing to be proven. Of course it's gonna sell well. It's three 3D Mario games in one package, releasing on one of the best-selling consoles ever in a period where there's few high-profile games competing with it.
Fans being disappointed with this doesn't mean they think it won't sell well. They're not mutually exclusive.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually disappointed that Nintendo did the lowest effort with this collection, still going to buy it since I grew up playing those games and I know I will enjoy them.
How is making a full Gamecube emulator "lowest effort"? That's a whole lotta work. The lack of 60fps support isn't due to "effort", not once you are emulating the game; it's a development choice.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seen a lot of others ask this morning and I will echo it as well:

How will Sunshine work without analog triggers?

Game is out in 2 weeks. Will I have to play Sunshine with the GCN controller to have the optimal experience, or can I play with the Pro Controller and they've figured out some kind of workaround that doesn't suck?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
No more "So long King-a Bowser", this makes me sad they changed it to the generic byebye of the DS game.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Arg I was really hyped for this but the barebones remastering is disappointing. Like Mario 64 isn't even wide screen and 64 and Sunshine are not in 60 fps. No work on textures beyond the 1080p bump. And the fact that Galaxy 2 was completely ommited from the entire presentation was terrible. Very hesitant to buy this now, but portable-ish Galaxy in 1080p might push me.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the Gamecube adapter and controllers they sold with Smash Ultimate is gonna work here for Sunshine right?

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I agree, I hope Galaxy 2 is DLC or something. I imagine they must have something in mind for it.

The main thing, as you said, is that calling developers lazy is completely uncalled for and inappropriate. Saying Nintendo is lazy is entirely different, although I still personally wouldn't.
Lol, watch Galaxy 2 be included on the Game & Watch as one of the '35 little touches' :^)

TheChits

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot overstate how much of a bummer this all is. Good lord this is barely the bare minimum effort they could give and it is full priced