• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During JAEPO 2019 it was announced that Famicom masterpiece Gimmick will be coming to arcades via the upcoming and increasingly exciting MVS-style (cartridge-based, no online requirement) Exa-Arcadia platform:

There's a good breakdown of all the Exa games shown over at Arcade Heroes.

Arcade Heroes said:
Announcement #7 [Jan 26th; 12:00AM my time] – Sunsoft has unveiled Gimmick! exAct Mix for the Exa-Arcadia. Gimmick! was a platformer on the Famicom/NES that came along later in the NES's life. Now, it will be an arcade game, which will mean that retro arcades can offer something that is both old & new. All of the graphics have been redesigned in HD for this release, allowing for smoother movement; you can also switch between old and new graphics at the touch of a button.

I have to admit, it's a little funny to me that a Gimmick re-release is finally happening yet it's going to be in a format where the release price will be higher than the sticker shock prices the Famicom cart runs for these days. Ultimately, though, I'm amazed that anything is happening with the game at all and definitely consider a difficulty-tweaked version happening to be a positive.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This should be one of those weird games that goes to the NSO service.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, hopefully this means a console release later. Gimmick is fantastic and deserves to be on more platforms.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Huh. A console-to-arcade port would've been weird even when arcades are flourishing. No idea why they'd take that route, but at least Gimmick! is getting new life? I guess?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been wanting to play it.
Wonder if it'll be arcade exclusive.
From what I understand (and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong), all Exa games need to have at least some sort of functional exclusivity to ensure that the arcade versions stand out in some way. It wouldn't surprise me if work done on this version leads to an eventual home re-release, but not with a 1:1 features of this (maybe the original game's balance without the arcade-focused tweaks, idk).

OP
OP

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing details on what changes will be made to the mechanics (they already mentioned less extends and a scoring system). The original is a tough game with a very arcade-standard length.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Gross smoothing aside, this is great(?) news. Gimmick! is one of the best games

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Hope they can release this on Steam, Switch, PS4, Xbox One, mobile, and everywhere else so it can reach as many people as possible. Fantastic game.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Ooh, interesting. I like the redrawn art and expansion to a widescreen aspect ratio. After this and the recent Wonder Boy remake/redraw, I wonder if we'll start seeing even more retro games updated in this way.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, megaton. Gimmick is secretly one of the best NES games and everyone needs to play it.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit, this is really cool

Doubt I'll ever find this in the few local arcades we have around tho, shame

Deleted member 15125

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Gimmick! experience always consists of me switching between, "This game is pretty good!" and, "This game is pretty annoying!" every 30 seconds. I still have no idea what I actually think of it overall.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Very weird. Hopeful for a release on a home platform eventually.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I LOVE the remade graphics. This is exactly the look I wish more indie games went for instead of pixelated art that looks like poorly upscaled graphics.

Really hope I get a chance to play this someday.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
This is an excellent platformer, but I'm sad that they slowed down the pace of stage 1's theme music. It's like slowing down the Moon theme from Ducktales, it's that important.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Woah. Gimmick! is a great game so this is cool to see. I've definitely got a love/hate relationship with what Exa is doing and I really hope future Exa-first games do end up coming to the home market.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Man, hopefully this means a console release later. Gimmick is fantastic and deserves to be on more platforms.
The game not being available on any other platform is part of the deal with an arcade game Publisher. Which is also the case with Exa.
For it to be available anywhere else they would have to make a new release with different content.

Either that or spend 2000$ to buy an Exa motherboard + game, to play Gimmick.

yahooeny

Sep 10, 2019
buford, ga
up for preorder now https://exa.ac/product/gimmick-exact-mix/?v=0f177369a3b7

gimmick-title-1024x576.png

gimmick-stage5-1024x577.png

The redrawn HD pass from the unveil is gone, now instead the game has been redrawn to a Neo Geo/Saturn level of fidelity. Yumetaro somehow looks even pudgier than before.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Considering I am likely to never come across this in my life, I hope this get's a console release.

That or I finally win the lottery so I could just buy my own unit