• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
If they "own" the IP it but can't port the game on PS4 then they don't own it.

They own as in they can only sell tee-shirts with the IP ?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If Insomniac wanted a Sunset Overdrive sequel, there'd probably be a Sunset Overdrive sequel. Let's not point fingers at whoever we assume is putting up red tape, they just have plans for the studio and their future that may not involve SO in a significant capacity.

Oct 25, 2017

With no knowledge of the deals in place I am gonna guess that Sony can make a sunset Overdrive 2, they can make a spin off mobile game using Fizzy as the protagonist, they can make a sunset Overdrive movie, they can probably make a Sunset Overdrive super carbonated extra punk 4k 60fps remastered zero sugar edition and whatever else they want.

They just can't port the OG game over without permission because MS has the publishing rights as part of the deal for the game on Xbox.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
If Insomniac wanted a Sunset Overdrive sequel, there'd probably be a Sunset Overdrive sequel. Let's not point fingers at whoever we assume is putting up red tape, they just have plans for the studio and their future that may not involve SO in a significant capacity.
I mean Spiderman was build off of the Sunset Overdrive foundation and Insomniac were working on it before it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

The way this works normally, they can create new games in that IP, but previous titles can have strings related to the original publishers. So for example with Cuphead, technically Microsoft was able to refuse any ports of original Cuphead, but even if Microsoft was being incredibly difficult, MDHR could have made a sequel anywhere. That was thankfully a case where MS was fine with (and encouraged) the Switch port.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the ownership was in doubt, was it? The more interesting point at this stage is whether MS still has the publishing rights and if so, whether they have an expiry date.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
The way this works normally, they can create new games in that IP, but previous titles can have strings related to the original publishers. So for example with Cuphead, technically Microsoft was able to refuse any ports of original Cuphead, but even if Microsoft was being incredibly difficult, MDHR could have made a sequel anywhere. That was thankfully a case where MS was fine with (and encouraged) the Switch port.

even that case is a bit different. Microsoft doesnt own any kind of publishing rights to Cuphead like they do for SO, the game is self-published by MDHR everywhere. They did sign a console exclusivity deal that prevented ports to other platforms, and that's the deal that MS encouraged to be ''breached'' for a Switch port.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
even that case is a bit different. Microsoft doesnt own any kind of publishing rights to Cuphead like they do for SO, the game is self-published by MDHR everywhere. They did sign a console exclusivity deal that prevented ports to other platforms, and that's the deal that MS encouraged to be ''breached'' for a Switch port.

I think this is mostly agreeing with what you're saying, I had a convo with Teeth on the previous message board where they confirmed specifically that the original Cuphead was tied into a Microsoft agreement, partly because of the funding involved in its development. Meaning original Cuphead couldn't be released elsewhere without their OK, but any sequels were open game.

Andromeda was trying to understand how a company can own an IP, but not have the right to release specific titles in it on their own, and that seemed like a good example.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
That is deliciously rich coming from someone with an avatar from a Wii U exclusive game 🤣

tenor.gif

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Obsidian owns "The Outer Worlds" IP. So MS owns "The Outer Worlds" IP. In other words....why is this confirmation needed?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
SO was fantastic, among my favorite games this gen, even the multi was casual fun with a group of friends. To me, MS messed up, it should of released in a less crowded time and they should of doubled down for a bigger sequel. The game took a bit to open up, the traversal but once it did it was a blast.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Sunset Overdrive with pro support... Don't really see it happening, unless they want to invest in Sunset Overdrive 2.

UnInvincible

Aug 30, 2019
Sunset Overdrive is light years more fun than Spider-Man, it's going to be a real shame if we never get a follow-up and Insomniac sticks to making licensed games where they can't show off as much of their creativity and attitude. At least make another Ratchet & Clank...

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Sunset Overdrive seems quirky enough for Sony to fund just to "expand the portfolio". Just call it something else and make a spiritual sequel.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Guys, Sunset Overdrive is still playable on Xbox One and Steam as we speak. It's also on Game Pass. Don't lament that you can't play a version on one particular platform: check it out on one of the other two. It's not the "best insomniac game", and it's not "the flop of the year" but it's clearly a very decent game. The Steam version also lets you play at resolutions well over the Xbox One's 900p and at with an unlocked framerate if performance is your jam.

That is deliciously rich coming from someone with an avatar from a Wii U exclusive game 🤣

Shots fired!

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the game sell like shit? Why would they want to port a game that only a small fraction of an enthusiast forum have even heard of? Better to look forward and maybe make a sequel with a proper marketing push.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Original game in 4k and a sequel would be nice, but Insomniac is all about Spider man now and I don't see them working on 2 open world games simultaneously.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys, Sunset Overdrive is still playable on Xbox One and Steam as we speak. It's also on Game Pass. Don't lament that you can't play a version on one particular platform: check it out on one of the other two. It's not the "best insomniac game", and it's not "the flop of the year" but it's clearly a very decent game. The Steam version also lets you play at resolutions well over the Xbox One's 900p and at with an unlocked framerate if performance is your jam.

Shots fired!
I'm not buying one console at the end of its life for one game. My pc isn't good enough.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Almost everything cratered on the XB1 back then, and Insomniac has a long history (and most of their fans) on Playstation.
Yeah at the time it seemed like a lot of Insomniac fans wanted to play it but having to get an Xbox One was the barrier. It can't have cost that much to port it to PC, otherwise I don't think they would have bothered, so I don't think a future port of some sort to PS4/5 is completely out of the question.

Deleted member 889

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Sunset Overdrive was so much fun to play. So glad it came to PC so I could play it. What a unique title.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather for Insomniac to make a new IP like a loot RPG shooter like Borderlands

they can toss in the stuff the learnt from Resistance, SO and R&C to make it grand and great

of course no micro transactions or Overwatch like lootboxes, etc... to ruin it