• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

It's the feeling of summer when we all were younger, with our head full of dreams.

I played the game so many times in the last 24 years and even though the framerate is low af, I still love it and always will.

Honorable mentions:

F355 Challenge: Long Beach track (Sunset)
Daytona USA: DInosaur Canyon
SSX3: the whole mountain
Need for Speed 3: Rocky Pass and Hometown

What are your favorite racing tracks and why?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Wave Race 64 is an all-time classic flawless video game. Everything is just right. Played a bunch of tracks just a few weeks ago. The vibes are so strong.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played it in over 2 decades, and yet somehow I knew exactly which song played on that track. Though the version in my head sounded a lot better.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid, this was the second N64 game I ever owned after Mario 64.

I think this game was formative one way or another to my infinite love of a coastal atmosphere.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the stages were chill as fuck.

The graphics, water physics and just the feel of playing the game was WAAAAAAY ahead of their time.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
My suspension of disbelief is failing me while watching that video. I know it's supposed to be showing a beautiful sunset, but it looks like a murky industrial wasteland with orange polluted water to my eyes, haha.

Einhander

Banned
Apr 15, 2020
I never got Bluestorm, was that any good? I can't remember why I was put off from getting that one, it wasn't an internal Nintendo development right?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I never got Bluestorm, was that any good? I can't remember why I was put off from getting that one, it wasn't an internal Nintendo development right?

The controls are even tighter, even better - there's more depth to the racing, more interesting dynamics to the wave impacts. Maybe a steeping learning curve, but more rewarding as well.

The presentation was not as memorable as 64. But the racing has never been better. I had so much fun in expert.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Wave Race has aged remarkably well.

And yeah, that Steve Winwood-ass music is perfect.

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Outrun Drivers Megamix Vol. 1

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Vol.2 when!?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
aw yiss

UNx3ARI.gif

Wave Race 64 is an immaculately designed game. A truly magical, wondrous experience in 1996. For me, the perfect racing game and one of my all-time favorites.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Blue Storm was SO disappointing
Blue Storm was made by people that didn't understand the appeal of WR64. They increased the challenge, made the controls more complicated and more egregiously made the act of jetskiing feel annoying and cumbersome. The entire game is totally unlike the smooth and relaxing vibes of WR64, in basically every facet of it, downright to the music and general presentation. And Blue Storm has frankly too much of an annoying EXTREEEEEMEEEE veneer to it for my liking.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I appreciate Wave Race 64 more in my older age. It's truly a great game.

Here are three fun facts about the game:

1) there's a Game Boy "Wave Race", that predates Wave Race 64 by four years:

2) Wave Race 64 is a 20 FPS game. That was very shocking to me when I learned this, because even today it still plays very fluid to me.

3) Wave Race 64: Rumble Pak Edition is a Japan-only version of the game that added rumble. But it also added some new voices (some extra, snarky lines from the announcer) and it changes some of the music a little bit. For example:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Did Wave Race 64 actually run at 10fps or is it just the video?

I honestly can't remember. I never owned a N64 but did play Wave Race a few times at my mates.

That aside, I miss the days when arcade racing track names were like paint colour names.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
F355 Challenge: Long Beach track (Sunset)
Daytona USA: DInosaur Canyon
SSX3: the whole mountain
Need for Speed 3: Rocky Pass and Hometown
Couldn't agree more on Waverace 64, but these are being overlooked in your OP as an impeccable selection of other awesome tracks from previous generations. Your NFS3:HP track selections in particular *chef kiss*

As for my own contributions, I would go with Sega Rally for Saturn, Desert stage:

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Nintendo would release a new Wave Race. Maybe turn it into something like Forza Horizon if Nintendo wants to differentiate it more from its other Racing Games (which, currently is just Mario Kart and Cruis'n Blast, I guess?).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did Wave Race 64 actually run at 10fps or is it just the video?

I honestly can't remember. I never owned a N64 but did play Wave Race a few times at my mates.

That aside, I miss the days when arcade racing track names were like paint colour names.
WR64 runs at a steady 20fps.

I made this video a while ago, I think the framerate is less jumpy here lol

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna use this thread as an excuse to share this banging medley of Sunset Bay and the title theme, since it might be the only Sunset Bay remix in existence lol.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
aw yiss

UNx3ARI.gif

Wave Race 64 is an immaculately designed game. A truly magical, wondrous experience in 1996. For me, the perfect racing game and one of my all-time favorites.

How you feel about Wave Race 64 is how I felt about the N64. A magical wondrous experience. Damn, I'm feeling nostalgic.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Wave Race GB is a hidden gem as well. Very fun top down racing game. I'm sort of flabbergasted that it never made it to 3DS VC.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
They should just do a remaster of WV64 first, then, judging by how it is received critically and commercially, decide whether to launch a new version. Just like so many other devs have done by now. (Crash Bandicoot etc.)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wave Race 64 is still one of the best racing games ever. And yeah, it nails that summer atmosphere alongside Sega classics like the Out Run and Hang On series. It's hard to pick favourite tracks in those as all the areas seamlessly flow together.

Going from SNES to this must have blown minds.
There was a huge amount of home racing game advancement in between SNES and N64 on 3DO, PC, SS, and PS1 in 1994 to 1996 but WR64 was still super impressive because no one had made a water-based one with those kind of physics.

Last edited: