• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shining WZRD

Jan 16, 2020
I really hope its Crackdown. Crackdown 3 was easily the best in the franchise and there's still so much they can do with the franchise.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They've been a support studio in the past so could literally be anything. They also have been expanding and established Sumo North West (based in Warrington) not long ago.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I wouldn't consider Crackdown to be a AAA franchise, let alone well established.
This is a job posting. Basically any sequel to an existing console first party franchise would be considered AAA for hiring purposes, regardless of whether the project actually fulfills any arbitrary definition of what AAA is.

Based on Crackdown 3 development, I'd say it meets the benchmark for AAA whether it met "critical acclaim" or not.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I love Sackboy on PS5 and was hoping Sony would keep working with them on games like that. After how good Sackboy was, I wouldn't mind them getting a shot at inFamous, but I highly doubt it's that.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Crackdown/something else with MS given how much money they're throwing around.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Crackdown 3 was severely underrated. It was a load of fun and recaptured the magic of the original for me. Really hope this is Crackdown 4.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike the few of you who brought up SOCOM, I still hold out hope that the second Guerrilla team killed Killzone so SOCOM could be reborn.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
While I loved Crackdown 3 and Crackdown 4 with a budget and Sumo being the dev from day one without the shackles of cloud promises and other conditions would be incredible, I really doubt it's Crackdown 4 lol

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I really need to dive back into Sackboy. It's so good, and it's currently sitting in my PS5, but I haven't booted it up in a while! I got sidetracked by other games. But, yeah, Sackboy is great. Really curious to see what else they're working on. I can't even begin to speculate, but I'd imagine if it's an established AAA open world franchise, it could be something they've worked on before (ie, Crackdown), or an IP that the originating studio isn't able to continue, but is still viable (like inFAMOUS, since Sucker Punch is all about Ghost of Tsushima these days, and for good reason).

I know I'd personally love another inFAMOUS game. I've enjoyed every entry in the series (with 2 still being my favorite of the bunch).

Oct 25, 2017
While I loved Crackdown 3 and Crackdown 4 with a budget and Sumo being the dev from day one without the shackles of cloud promises and other conditions would be incredible, I really doubt it's Crackdown 4 lol

yeah me too :( but man i would love that so much, i really, really enjoyed Crackdown 3, even with all the things that probably hit the game's development

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After what crackdown 3 turned out like, I can't imagine it's a sequel to that...but if it is maybe it won't be a 5 year disaster.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Am I missing something with the Infamous posts? What's the connection there with Sumo? And isn't Infamous Sony IP and Crackdown MS IP? And people assume it would be one or the other or something? Seems odd to me, but I'm probably missing something!

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I first played Crackdown 3 recently (XSX). It's not great by any means, but it doesn't seem like a disaster either. The jumping and orb collecting remains fun, but the combat is not good enough and there are frustrations that don't need to be there.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Am I missing something with the Infamous posts? What's the connection there with Sumo? And isn't Infamous Sony IP and Crackdown MS IP? And people assume it would be one or the other or something? Seems odd to me, but I'm probably missing something!

Sumo make a lot of sequels within franchises that the creators have moved on from. They made crackdown 3. They also made little big planet 3 and recently Sackboy. I think people are just spitballing exclusive open world IP's that Sony and MS aren't dealing with themselves that they would like to see sequels to.

I can't imagine they'd be given something as big as infamous though. But who knows.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time with Crackdown 3, so I would be happy with a fourth. The series is just good, dumb fun.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sumo make a lot of sequels within franchises that the creators have moved on from. They made crackdown 3. They also made little big planet 3 and recently Sackboy. I think people are just spitballing exclusive open world IP's that Sony and MS aren't dealing with themselves that they would like to see sequels to.

I can't imagine they'd be given something as big as infamous though. But who knows.
Ah gotcha - thanks!

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Really enjoyed Sackboy, would be kind of cool if they were making a game with stylized visuals, something lacking in general. As for established, I don't know about crackdown or Infamous, Really didn't enjoy Crackdown, and I think Infamous second son was pretty flat though superhero powered game with new interesting character would be interesting, new powers, more variety enemies, interesting wide range of boss fights and interesting side quests. Could be something we're not thinking off.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If we can suggest outlandish stuff like another Crackdown (lol!), I'm saying it's a GTA spin-off

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna guess they're working on Days Gone 2 - the first game sold pretty well despite the ok critic response, makes sense for Sony to find someone to work on it if Bend is working on something else; considering it's a game that sold well despite average reviews (easy money). Bend seems to be the most likely candidate to work on UC5 if ND is off the table. They also most recently worked with Sony on Sackboy. The other thing might be spiderman if for some odd reason Insomniac didn't want to keep doing Spidey games.

barksi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna guess they are working on a new Mafia game.

In 2019, SUMO Digital has entered into a partnership with publisher 2K for multiple undisclosed projects. These projects are being worked on at SUMO's Sheffield studio (Red Kite Games). We also know that Hangar 13 (developer behind Mafia 3 and Mafia DE) is working on a new IP.

So now we know that SUMO is working on a new entry in en established AAA open-world game, probably for 2K Games, so I think there is a good chance it's a new Mafia game.

Last edited:

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I'm gonna guess they are working on a new Mafia game.

In 2019, SUMO Digital has entered into a partnership with publisher 2K for multiple undisclosed projects. These projects are being worked on in SUMO's Sheffield studio (Red Kite Games). We also know that Hangar 13 (developer behind Mafia 3 and Mafia DE) is working on a new IP.

So now we know that SUMO is working on a new entry in en established AAA open-world game, probably for 2K Games, so I think there is a good chance it's a new Mafia game.

After the design disaster that is Mafia III, 2K sure as hell needs some new eyes and talent working on Mafia

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Of course it sold terribly, it launched on Game Pass.
It sold poorly taking into account its presence on GP.

Same applies if you instead talk in terms of engagement - as best I can tell it appears both the campaign and wrecking zone fell off the Xbox top 50 within approximately month.

Basically this is all to say Crackdown 3 and the overall IP (as it stands today) aren't popular by any stretch, and I don't see any evidence to the contrary.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Crackdown 3 was actually pretty great. It was essentially a modernised Crackdown 1 but with better weapons and traversal. It's not trying to be a cinematic story experience but that's apparently what the critics wanted...despite there being an abundance of those and nothing else like Crackdown.

The hate was just typical games media piling onto something for those clicks imo

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Crackdown 3 was actually pretty great. It was essentially a modernised Crackdown 1 but with better weapons and traversal. It's not trying to be a cinematic story experience but that's apparently what the critics wanted...despite there being an abundance of those and nothing else like Crackdown.

The hate was just typical games media piling onto something for those clicks imo
im all for appreciating games that werent huge successes, but cmon now