• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He's also making sure it's represented in his most recent game. Maglam Lord

"I've written many games with good liking and individual EDs, but what's always annoying is what to do with homosexual friendship EDs. Systematically grouping the opposite sex into romance and homosexuality into friendship is not suitable for the recent times.#マグラムロード Then I wrote it so that I could make the final choice."

His previous work on Summon Nights is super gay, so it isn't surprising how strong he feels towards LGBTQ representation in Japanese games.

retrogamer-20160628-03.png

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was really awkward in Fire Emblem Three Houses when one of the s-rank social link endings was two males being such good friends that they were buried next to each other after spending all their life together

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay well I need to buy this person next release.

This is the kinda thing I love to support.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
It was really awkward in Fire Emblem Three Houses when one of the s-rank social link endings was two males being such good friends that they were buried next to each other after spending all their life together

I am STILL mad that I couldn't M/M Claude or Ralph and probably always will be :(

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The male same sex relationships in Three Houses were extremely disappointing, and some of them actually offensive.

The game launched with three male x male S ranks (ie "romance") for the main character, but two of those S ranks turned out to be platonic straight friendships, with one of them actually suggesting the man you S ranked with would rather you marry his daughter. This is compared to the 5 female x female S ranks that are all romantic in nature, one of which is with Edelgard, one of the central characters. Claude and Dimitri were not given the same options.

Also, there are pairing between female characters (that don't include the MC) that are romantic in nature, while there are no male x male romantic pairings that don't involve the MC. (Just deep "friendship", as you mentioned.)

Two more male S ranks were added via DLC, but only one of them was free, the other was part of the paid expansion chapter. And after all that, male S ranks are still at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The most frustrating thing about 13 Sentinels was the great pains it took to avoid making the homosexual relationship come off as too gay.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That can't be real...
All of the Homosexual relationships are treated weirdly in 3 Houses.

Even the Women which are better than the men have it so 2 of the three are largely characters that you don't get to interact with much (one being a character that looks and acts like a child) and on top of it you never see the same sex partners together.

In the end Edelgard/Rhea/Mercedes/Dorothea are only allowed to be shown holding Female Byleth's hand, unlike the Male/Female and Female/Male where you see Byleth with their lover.

Males got it even worse as they got actual fake outs in their S ranks.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Did we play the same game?
They make it explicit with the 2188 versions of the characters, but even in the epilogue years later, they're still in a will they/won't they state of their relationship where Hijiyama is apparently still too embarrassed to admit he likes a guy. Meanwhile all the straight pairings are fully together and popping out babies. It was handled better than I expected but still ultimately disappointing.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
They make it explicit with the 2188 versions of the characters, but even in the epilogue years later, they're still in a will they/won't they state of their relationship where Hijiyama is apparently still too embarrassed to admit he likes a guy. Meanwhile all the straight pairings are fully together and popping out babies. It was handled better than I expected but still ultimately disappointing.
I agree with that much. I would've preferred for them to take it a bit further than they did, but I'm still really glad that they did things as well as they did. It made me pretty happy despite that slight disappointment in the end.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Did we play the same game?

JaredG nailed my feelings exactly. The game steps right up to the line but seems afraid to fully cross it for some strange reason. I loved the dynamic between those two characters but it left me unfulfilled by the time the credits rolled.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At least we got this amazing ending:
images

But even then it's so painful how obviously they tried to avoid the M-word.
Honestly this is one of the better written endings for sure and I do love it.

However as you mentioned you can tell they did everything in their power to avoid saying they are romantic love and married.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
JaredG nailed my feelings exactly. The game steps right up to the line but seems afraid to fully cross it for some strange reason. I loved the dynamic between those two characters but it left me unfulfilled by the time the credits rolled.
I feel you. Your wording had me thinking you were more critical of it than that. It was a great step though, especially coming from the guy who sent Jason Schreier buff dwarves in response to criticisms of his drawings of women. I never see JP games handle male/male gay relationships with as much respect. I almost couldn't believe it, even if they didn't stick the landing.

NotSoren

Jul 15, 2020
Good to see something like this after the Rune Factory 5 stuff. Any chance his upcoming game will be localized?

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
I hope more game devs can be as smart and cool as this guy when making games with relationship mechanics

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Summon Night Swordcraft Story is amazing and I'm glad it's creator seems like good people. I gotta support his next project

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
Oh, this is so lovely to read! Maybe this is why I've somehow always liked the Summon Night series so much (except for 6...). And I'll have to look into this new game now as I hadn't even heard of it before. Really wish other game writers/producers/directors would start sharing this mindset...

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully you can actually date a guy as a guy in Persona 6. So weird that it was a thing in P2:IS but never again after that.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Loved the first Swordcraft Story game on GBA. I'll definitely keep an eye out for Maglam Lord now.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I was already looking forward to this game, but I'm especially glad to see some progressive representation. Hopefully the battle sections don't suck, but otherwise I love the low budget, character focused style this has.