• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
How does subbing work? Do people pay per streamer per month? How much! If they sub to 10x channels does it cost 10x as much?

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
He is crazy entertaining at SoT. And when you think about what he has to do its crazy... for instance last night for 30+ min he hid laying down on a boat waiting for another team to finish a skull fort. Their plan was to have a mega barrel in the bottom of their ship once the loot was opened up. Then have someone on shore to negotiate with the loot.. basically stealing 90% of the loot but leaving them something good IF they just take that one item and go away.

If not Summit was prepared to destroy their boat and so their spawn would be reset.... well it seemed at first like it was going to work out but then one of them killed his guy on shore so ... they paid the price. And Summit and his crew took it all..

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmallZealousKathySaltBae

But what you dont see after this and this is why this game is amazing ... when they were going to turn in all this stolen loot a Kraken and a Meg attacked them in a storm and they survived by the skin of their teeth and had to bail water for 15 min to get to an outpost. I twas a crazy stream... from sitting on a deck of a ship just listening to another crew do their thing to taking loot.. to being attacked on the seas.. it was amazing to watch.

Earlier in the night he snuck onto a ship where he knew only 3 of the 4 people had a mic. So he pretended to be the 4th guy... and convinced the other guys to put their loot on the row boat. So after they loaded it up... the 4th guy without a mic was looking for him cause he knew... it wasnt him. He did find him but Summit got off the ship in the row boat with the loot... he ended up turning the stuff in right in front of them and there was nothing they could do... just awesome

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well Deserved, his streams combined with that game are widly entertaining.

I don't tend to watch a lot of streamers but I'll tune in to him playing that game from time to time.

The last time I tuned in he commandeered a 3 man brigate and took down there whole ship by baiting a pirate ghost ship and killing them as they were trying to repair all well beaking them by saying "Guys, I think your ship is sinking" as they were trying to repair, then when he sunk there ship he ended up aggroing the ghost ship and having to escape from that thing on his own and he eventually did.

It's interesting to see how this translate into actual players, I've noticed its jumped up quite a large number of spots on the "most played" quite considerably in the past month.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does this say anything about Fortnites popularity? It's still the biggest game on the planet but I get the sense that maybe its already hit its peak.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the moment Microsoft has been waiting for?

Rare is probably pretty happy about it. I know that 343i was pretty happy about him playing anything Halo and hosting a couple Halo Championship streams.

How does subbing work? Do people pay per streamer per month? How much! If they sub to 10x channels does it cost 10x as much?

You can subscribe to Streamers, who are either Affiliates or Partners. Subscription are per Channel and they come in Tiers:

Tier 0: Twitch Prime. If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, you can subscribe to 1 channel for free on Twitch every month. Streamer gets his usual Tier 1 cut.
Tier 1: 4.99$ per month
Tier 2: 9.99$ per month
Tier 3: 24.99$ per month

The usual cut between Streamers and Twitch is 50/50, but it can be negotiated and the bigger streamers get higher cuts.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summit is so insufferable and such a scummy human being, I really don't get this.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I like summit a lot. I'm glad last year he ditched fortnite because it sucks. He's doing his own thing and that's great and it's paying off for him. SOT is a cool game but me and my friends got bored of it. I wouldn't mind trying it again. I'm surprised Soda only has 12k.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'll have to check him out again. Watched him since he started with his CS streams but I can only watch someone repeat subs names so much. That part pushes me away from a twitch channel

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I mean this makes sense since Ninja has been streaming less and less over the last couple of months due to all his other obligations (appearances, TV, press, etc.), as well as taking some time to stream Final Fantasy XI, which Fortnite viewers do not seem to like. He's even gone as far as hiding his sub-count for at least the last 2 months so i'm sure he knew what was going to happen eventually.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like CohhCarnage is the only person on that list that i personally enjoy watching. I love that he plays a wide swath of games and treats his chat like adults, instead of catering to teenagers. I'd love to find more variety streamers with his style, maybe there is someone else like him on this list that I haven't herd of, but I think Twitch would definitely be better off if there were more people like him at the top of the platform.

Someone probably already beat me to this, but Cohh is unique. There are a lot of variety streamers, but he is old school Twitch and does something almost no one else can do. His chat is calm and treat everyone with respect. He streams different games on the constant which most can't do. He really is a unique streamer.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
He streams all the time. I always see him playing non-WoW games. Unless he wasn't this past weekend and "a while" in Twitch terms means a few days..

Hes last stream was 10 days ago. That is A LOT on twitch. Even 1-2 days off comes at a cost. Hes playing wow on a private server so he cant stream it.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Someone probably already beat me to this, but Cohh is unique. There are a lot of variety streamers, but he is old school Twitch and does something almost no one else can do. His chat is calm and treat everyone with respect. He streams different games on the constant which most can't do. He really is a unique streamer.

I used to like him, but it has turned way too commercial and I think it's child abuse to use them as props in streams/youtube videos. Now it's all about the "business" when I check him out.

Having said that, he is actually one of those that do not scream and swear all the time, and that he should get credit for.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the play style he influences, but since most of the people he influences are complete scrubs it doesn't matter too much.

The entertainment he provides helps him panhandle on the internet, and that's been an acceptable thing for a while, so it is what it is. Do what you're good at, I guess... The Dude is really good at interacting with a twitch audience and makes stealing a few thousand coins worth of treasure over the period of way too long seem like a worthwhile endeavor, even if he really is just playing up to his audience.

It is a shame that basic math shows that the PVP elements of the game people are trying to clone of his are a complete waste of time and end up wasting a lot of other players time in the process. The paranoia he's helped instill on players makes simple things like creating alliance to knock out a skull fort with other randoms a royal pain in the ass. Instead we get to spend 20+ minutes ganking one another or playing ship battle until you're able to talk some sense into other players letting them know that we could have just knocked the fucking thing out in all that time and been on our way.

But people keep assuming that just because it's a game with pirates that acting like a complete jackass is somehow justified...

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
JoshOG (his friend) was. But Summit defends him 100% and bans anyone who brings it up in chat. Summit is no good person either, seeing as he complacent with his friend stealing children's money.

It's actually pretty disgusting how little repercussion JoshOG faced, and that many streamers (not only summit1g) supports him...
Except Summit has explained himself on that and it makes sense to me.

All we know definitively is that JoshOG was part owner in a skin gambling site, while pretending that he only stumbled upon it. Rigging the site like other sites did was never proven.

Summit's stance is that Josh is an old friend of his, and that what he did wasn't bad enough for Summit to stop being friends with him. I think Josh is scummy and don't support him, but if one of my friends did what Josh did I would probably forgive them too.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm glad for Summit. Ya I see the criticism people are posting and that's fair if you feel that way, but this guy is one of the OG's of streaming and has found a way to come back from falling off, though to be fair when people say he was a "Dead streamer" and "Falling off" he still had over 10k subs and was still making good money.

The thing with Summit in the middle of last year he realized he wasn't enjoying streaming, he was forcing himself to play the "it" game like fortnite to try and get viewers, you could tell he wasn't having fun and it hurt his stream. He finally said enough was enough, he would play what he wanted and also turned on follower required to chat due to the toxicity of his chat at the time.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It is a shame that basic math shows that the PVP elements of the game people are trying to clone of his are a complete waste of time and end up wasting a lot of other players time in the process. The paranoia he's helped instill on players makes simple things like creating alliance to knock out a skull fort with other randoms a royal pain in the ass. Instead we get to spend 20+ minutes ganking one another or playing ship battle until you're able to talk some sense into other players letting them know that we could have just knocked the fucking thing out in all that time and been on our way.

Let's not pretend this wasn't the case before he started streaming.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I tried watching Summit before but he's incredibly boring to watch for me. I think Angry Joe and TimtheTatman has shown clips from him and they're only funny when he's raging like a lunatic.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Not a fan of the play style he influences, but since most of the people he influences are complete scrubs it doesn't matter too much.

The entertainment he provides helps him panhandle on the internet, and that's been an acceptable thing for a while, so it is what it is. Do what you're good at, I guess... The Dude is really good at interacting with a twitch audience and makes stealing a few thousand coins worth of treasure over the period of way too long seem like a worthwhile endeavor, even if he really is just playing up to his audience.

But people keep assuming that just because it's a game with pirates that acting like a complete jackass is somehow justified...

Not everything in the game needs to be to optimize coin per hour. Some things are just for the moments and the game seems to really be built around that idea. I understand that's not what everyone wants but this reminds me of old school mmo days which had a lot of moments like this.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except Summit has explained himself on that and it makes sense to me.

All we know definitively is that JoshOG was part owner in a skin gambling site, while pretending that he only stumbled upon it. Rigging the site like other sites did was never proven.

Summit's stance is that Josh is an old friend of his, and that what he did wasn't bad enough for Summit to stop being friends with him. I think Josh is scummy and don't support him, but if one of my friends did what Josh did I would probably forgive them too.
Nah, JoshOG failed to disclose equity ownership in the CSGOLotto while providing tons of videos showing him winning and "losing".

I don't know about you, but even if it was my friend, I would not be comfortable with him promoting rigged betting sites for kids, summit1g is almost as bad for thinking that it's fine to be friends with someone like this and banning long-time subs for bringing it up.

Last edited:

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not pretend this wasn't the case before he started streaming.

There was always a notion of keeping an eye out for masts on the horizon, and checking ports for mermaids before turning in, but in the last couple months I notice that people want to do a look over of the damn ship, before even setting off.

I also notice that gank squads are much more common and overly persistent , even if you have a completely treasureless ship (like right after an island spawn).

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them but I don't get it at all, the amount of subs and the donations these people get even the ones that are huge already are crazy to me. Didn't Ninja make $10 million last year?

People donate $100's or $1000's to a streamer. I mean like what? Really? They donate more than they pay for Netflix or cable or whatever. I feel people just like seeing their name in lights, being noticed by the streamer or just to say some random thing in text so people will see. I have seen people complain when a streamer didn't acknowledge their donation or sub.

Then people act like they are really friends with these streamers or something. This whole twitch culture seems more psychological than anything else.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
People calling him scummy because he plays the game how it's supposed to are beyond pathetic, what the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a game where you literally role play a pirate. Come on now, let people act like pirates.

In hundreds of hours of playing I've met exactly one dude in game that "talked like a pirate" and he just recruiting alliances for skull forts and handing out Athena quests.

It's Sea of Theives. NOT Sea of Murders, NOT Sea of Griefers.

Steal some shit and move the fuck on.

I feel people just like seeing their name in lights, being noticed by the streamer or just to say some random thing in text so people will see. I have seen people complain when a streamer didn't acknowledge their donation or sub.

Then people act like they are really friends with these streamers or something. This whole twitch culture seems more psychological than anything else.

This is actually a real thing, It's literally the same psychology that QVC was built on.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
In hundreds of hours of playing I've met exactly one dude in game that "talked like a pirate" and he just recruiting alliances for skull forts and handing out Athena quests.

You are right. It's Sea of Thieves, a game where you play as a pirate and you kill, steal and work with other pirates on your quest for adventure.

So all seems in order.

Carry along now landlubbers I'm sure you have a merchant voyage to do hahaha!

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how people specifically avoid the csgolotto subject even in here lmao, easier to call them salty SOT players.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Give me a break, pvp is a basic mechanic of the game. The night the game launched I was murdering and looting before I even knew this dude existed.

You seem to be mad at people for playing in a way it's not only valid but in many ways encouraged by the very game.