• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rate the Summer Game Fest!

• A

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • B

Votes: 101 10.5%
  • C

Votes: 349 36.3%
  • D or below

Votes: 503 52.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Opening Night Live, Summer Games Fest comes to a close with only a couple of daily showcases left.

So Era, how did you perceive that event, did it live up to your expectations or did you wish for more?

Before stating my personal opinion, I'd like to thank Geoff Keighley for his incredible efforts. His passion for Gaming is clearly obvious and I'm sure he was working extremly hard behind the scene to ensure users get a great viewing experience plus overview of events as well as hosting/creating a lot of them at the same time and staying in contact with big and small publishers alike. He managed to keep the train rolling despite the current circumstances in the world! He really does deserve a ton of respect here.

However, I have a lot of stuff to say about Summer Games Fest: personally speaking, I wanted more.

The Event started great with Epic's incredible UE5 demo. I think we can all agree that this was a very special moment. To finally see what next gen was capable of and it really looked like a generational leap. After that, things slowed down quite a bit imo, the MS events lacked big announcements that demonstrate what the console can do and again, mostly small games. Many publishers also held their own streams in the E3 week and after, they also lacked big announcements and gameplay. There were a couple of events inbetween, but mostly for smaller Indie stuff. Don't get me wrong, Indie showcases are fine and many of them deserve much attention but I really wanted more impactful announcements. I often watched through these because I had hope for bigger announcements, but for me these were simply time wasters instead, so I'd really appreciate it if they would be labeled more as Indie shows in the future.
I was extremly excited about the premise of playing game demos at home. Geoff talked about the future of E3 or something like that, so I thought I could play atleast some of those E3 showfloor quality game demos on my own PC. "Great", I thought, "that really is the future, previously I had to travel to Los Angeles and wait an eternity to play the hottest games and now I will be able to just download them and play them from the comfort of my home". But that Steam Summer Game Festival was a huge disappointment, as quantity was valued way over quality there. A very small selection of stuff there was good, but like, 99% of these games did not interest me in the slightest and again, it was only smaller stuff. Nothing like these E3 showfloor demos I imagined.

You also had Geoff's streams with a couple of nice announcements / interviews such as the Crash event and funny Ms. Piggy and Alf sketches, those were really great and improved the overall quality a lot if you ask me.

Luckily, Sony really delivered with their PS5 showcase. They announced a ton of big and small games as well as the final PS5 console design. I must say, this was easily the best showcase of summer for me. Enough gameplay, some teasers, great pacing and superb announcements. After that, it only went downhill IMO.

The Xbox event following was okay I guess, but it really needed a lot more gameplay. The announcements were not bad, sadly there were GCI/in engine trailers most of the time, so we still have not seen any game running on the most powerful console at all. Halo was a disappointment, obviously.

Gamescom Opening Night Live was nicely done from a presentation perspective but that also lacked announcements. I have to ask though: what was the point of these awards for games that are not even out yet?

Lastly, we have to address the elephant in the room. Nintendo just did, like, nothing this summer which is incredibly disappointing for me as a huge Nintendo fan. No E3 direct. Just those partner directs and one mini with small announcements. But that is of course not Geoffs fault or anything, it's just how Nintendo operates now.

So in the end, I think SGF was a nice attempt, but the previous E3 years were much better for me. I like having my news week. The concept of having news spread out that much sounds nice at first because it allows for longer goodness in theory, but it ended in exhausting drip feed IMO. Maybe we could have both next year?

We should also acknowledge the current pandemic situation, so a lot of these lackluster announcements could be due to that. It's great that Sony, Microsoft and a ton of smaller publishers still gave us information about games, despite the current times, so that also deserves respect.

What do you think about the Summer Games Festival? I checked the option for allowing users to change their vote, so in the event of daily showcases delivering big stuff (which I doubt), you can still change your vote!

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The PS5 showcase was the only good part of the Summer Game Fest

I'm being 100% serious here

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
As much as I hate to say this, I miss E3.

Everything being in one week was so much better.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I miss E3 and it was far too spread but you know what, it's okay. I appreciate that they tried and with everything going on, I respect whatever they put out.

Jun 14, 2018
Summer Games Fest felt really weird the entire time. So any game related announcements happening over the summer are suddenly slapped with that hashtag as though Keighley and his team had input on every single one?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's just too spread out to be exciting.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
As long as everything shown during the PS5 showcase comes out in a timely manner, that had a great cross section of first- and third-party announcements.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
It just seemed like Keighley heads and tailsing some events he had nothing to do with and creating a few other events on his own. The Unreal reveal was cool.

Why are we attaching the PS5 event to it though? Wasn't that a completely independent event?

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
D. It was clear alot of the bigger devs weren't ready to show some newer stuff due to Covid so it was dull.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
There was the PS5 event.... and then there was everything else. Needless to say, everything outside the PS5 event was painful to watch

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
I liked to have info spread out through various weeks, it gave me always something to look forward.
Tough not all show/events were good, all things considered, I think it was solid.
I would give it a B-.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
Summer Games Fest felt really weird the entire time. So any game related announcements happening over the summer are suddenly slapped with that hashtag as though Keighley and his team had input on every single one?

This has been my thought process the entire time. No disrespect to Geoff, but it feels like he was just sharing things that were going to be announced anyway and adding his own branding to it. Maybe that wasn't actually the case and he did have input on some of the announcements, but if that's the case, it was not presented or communicated well.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I think what made this entire thing suck ass was the fact that it was so spread out. You'd get a blitz of news during a single week instead of having to wait two months for a single Xbox event or whatever only to be disappointed.

Honestly I want to give a big shout out to Geoff and everyone else that made this a thing as it couldn't have been easy at all what with everything going on.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
started super strong with ue5 and tony hawk. then quickly fizzled out and never recovered. i get it: its a pandemic, things are complicated and dont work as they used too. but to stretch an absolute minimum of announcements/news over almost 4 months..no. just no.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a C out of respect to what everyone involved did to make it happen but it really deserves a D-. It felt like it actively sapped my interest in a lot of the stuff that was shown and like I simultaneously saw everything that mattered but also missed out on half of it.

I'm not even sure what the Summer Games Fest was, was it just the stuff that Geoff was involved in or everything that was announced over the summer? Feels weird lumping in the PS5 reveal with the others

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It was a lot of pompous talk about what amounted to every Dick and Jane doing their own thing at random times.

I hated it. Bring E3 back.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate Geoff's (and etc) efforts, but everything was to spread out for me to pay much attention.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
All in all it really made me miss the condensed hype and pomp of E3. While THPS 1+2 was an excellent way to start off the SGF, it felt like the opening weekend of E3 was just spread out over several weeks, without any additional details from what you'd normally see during the presentation.
That being said I'm not all that excited for either console's launch window anyways, so that didn't help either.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm sure there was a lot of hard work that went into it, in extraordinary circumstances, and there were plenty of games shown that I am interested in...

But yeah, the format was an absolute bust. None of the various events left any impression at all

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
It was just so spread out it became exhausting to follow.
And it's not done yet, the second Future Games Show is about to air in around an hour.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
My gut response is "There was a Summer Games Fest" ? lol
To me, it was the most hyped nothing, in a long while. I do enjoy The Game Awards and
was excited when Geoff announced something to replace E3 during COVID. Seemed like a
perfect fit. But looking back, there really wasn't much of anything going on. In the beginning
he kept teasing scoops that were then announced before he did his thing. And then I heard
nothing until this week, and apparently ONL was not really good.
Too bad because if E3 is dead/dying, I would like something else to take its place.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It was ... uneventful truly. It wouldn't have bothered me that it was so spread out if that wouldn't have made most of their events below par. Even ONL spent way too much time for way too few reveals that mattered.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
My highlights this year were the PS5 event and (surprisingly) HauntedPS1's EEK3.
Lowlights were sadly Opening Night Live and Nintendo's non-presence

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Scrambling to put something together at the last minute in a pandemic like this makes it passable.

Going forward I just want E3 back. Sony's presentation was the closest glimpse, but even they supposedly held back on heavy hitters to come... And we're all still twiddling our thumbs waiting for these announcements, release dates, and pricing.

Also, Nintendo going even more dark than usual is really annoying.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
I gave it a C because I guess it was the best that could be expected at a time when people weren't sure what was going to happen in a few days time let alone a few months.

The highlights for me were the UE5 demo - that was the first thing that made me go 'holy shit', this is how next gen will look. Then of course, The Future of Gaming event.

I'm looking forward to the year concluding with the release of next gen and hopefully a return to normality.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
E3 was better then this and i hope either it something like it come back next year

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
It was really hard to know when stuff was happening and it really didn't mesh well with how dragged out some of these announcements have become. Just felt really disorganized and hard to follow. I much prefer the condensed, one-and-done of E3 week.