• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
About 76 during the day, 72 when I get home.

I have solar panels and generate more energy than I use, so it's not like the energy cost is an issue here.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
My AC is set to 28c. I only turn it on when it gets over 35c though which hasn't happened yet this year. In winter the kerosene heater is set to 18c

Oct 27, 2017
68, rent includes electricity
i still turn it off when leaving for work though, my building's pretty well insulated, so it doesn't get above 80 even here in new mexico

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On hot days like today I slam the A/C to 17C because it's the lowest it can go to and let it do its job.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I'd prefer 68, but my fucking mother gets a temper tantrum if it hits below 72 and keeps shutting the AC off, so the house temperature sporadically rises to 80 even though she knows I work overnights and I'M TRYING TO FUCKING SLEEP.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
So it's mid July and I'm pretty much ready to die. Seeing daily highs in the mid 90s with ridiculous levels of humidity and I can't stand the heat at all, so I've got my thermostat set at 74. I wish I could raise it during the day, but my SO works nights and I can't keep her in straight up hell while she's home.

I think I'm going to slowly try raising it a degree every couple days. Apparently, it's recommended to keep it at 78 for maximum energy efficiency.

How are y'all dealing with the heat this summer?

This is the UK. The thermostat in most homes is linked to the central heating and there is no air conditioning. I'm fortunate enough to live in part of my country that doesn't get stiflingly hot for most of the summer. Today the external temperature was 20C (68F) so it was a bit sticky out there, but inside in the shade was pleasantly cool.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
78 on both when home, 82 otherwise

4K sq ft house w/ 2AC units. Last July my electricity bill was $600 in Phoenix but I've since gotten solar and it is $150 this month

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I was in Spain during the European heatwave and our apartment had a nice AC system. I had it set at 27 while we were out and then 24 when we were in the apartment and got worried after later seeing a note that we were supposed to turn it off when outside, thought they'd raise a stink about costs. Then we get to our next apartment in the next city, which was a bit cooler, and the host showing us around turns on their AC and is like "yeah you'll want this down around 20" and I lost any fear we'd get dinged at the first apartment.

Perks of living in the frozen North most of the year I suppose.

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
26c, then once the place is comfy I up it to 29c. The actual temp is usually much lower than what is detected, so it's not like I actually feel like it's 29c

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sweating just reading the temps some of you set.

I spent one weekend with my ac broken and wanted to kill myself.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
16c. Buying AC was the best thing I've ever done, it gets hotter every year in the UK and it was horrible.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I usually have it at 19°C all year; in winter I put on more clothes so safe on my energy bill, in summer it's warmer and I air the rooms efficiently to cool them down (I don't have an AC).

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have it set at 80 degrees Fahrenheit, which is 26 degrees Celsius. All day. When family visited though, with the nieces, it was set at 70. I dont mind the temp and at night I just open the windows and put the fan on.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
How the hell do you guys afford these electricity bills.

Pflugerville Texas has a regulated free market of utility companies. Competition is good. Each household gets a contract, so I can get renewables 100% for 9.3 cents per kwh. Energy efficient house, double pane windows, insulation, radiant barrier in attic, etc.

City of Austin has a monopoly that the city council dips into for pet projects. Decade old contracts with high ev solar pricing. 15 cents per kwh.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever the humidity in the house is over 60% I turn it down two degrees, 70 is probably what it ends up at most of the time.

I wish Nest had a humidity target for AC instead of only going by degrees.