• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
sadly yes... since you use both your hands to navigate like Stark would do in the real suit.

dunno what happened and I don't really mind - but the post you quoted was not me?

I still haven't played this demo. After downloading via web store it did not boot. So have deleted and am redownloading, and it's saying 100 mins. Very very frustrating experience so far:

Oct 28, 2017
For those that didn't check it out, the combat challenge has 3 more combat abilities. A ground pound by aiming a punch at the ground / water, some missiles where you "paint" many targets and then launch them and the Unibeam which is aimed by your body / head. Once you get used to the flying it's just something else to just naturally use all of these abilities to hit targets.

Yeah, I was surprised by how well that worked, guess since you always have your arms fully extended and often to the sides it's unlikely for you to obstruct the camera with your body. Totally better than using the turn buttons.

Yes. If you bend your hands backwards so that your palm is facing up you'll go down. You can also move your arms up high and "push" the sky.
How do you activate the unibeam?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the demo.

I know it's a common sentiment but as someone who regularly uses Quest/Link, anything I play on PSVR just feels like I'm playing something that could be better.

It's the only real damper to the experience here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
This was fun but will take some time to get used to. I just realized that it moves in the direction that you look with your head. I couldn't really think of a use for the powered up punch at least not for the first mission. I hope the graphics look better at release, at least on the Pro.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Finally just played through the demo. It felt really amazing for me. Not very disorienting, no motion sickness (GT, Driveclub, and Battlefront all got me), and really great use of the IP. I'm definitely in for the full game come July.

I really hope we'll see some PS5 patches for PSVR games (and a PSVR2 after not too long). Some increased rendering resolution and a higher res headset with hand tracking controllers is really starting to become obviously needed as these games get more and more advanced.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
It took awhile for me to click but this is very fun.

i was replaying that flight course for hours trying to beat the best time. Could only get within 4 seconds of it, but it's just very fun to fly. The sound effects when you boost is very cool.

But yeah it took awhile to wrap my head around flying and get decent at it.

But now that I finally set up my PSVR I might get on Astrobot :]

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all need to stop talking about how good this is. Between it and Astrobot, I'm going to want to get a PSVR despite having a Quest already.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Finally just played through the demo. It felt really amazing for me. Not very disorienting, no motion sickness (GT, Driveclub, and Battlefront all got me), and really great use of the IP. I'm definitely in for the full game come July.

I really hope we'll see some PS5 patches for PSVR games (and a PSVR2 after not too long). Some increased rendering resolution and a higher res headset with hand tracking controllers is really starting to become obviously needed as these games get more and more advanced.
Yeah, they nailed the motion somehow, it feels so good freely flying around in there.
Even when I'd overshoot something and turn my head to look off to the side at it, so I'd still be going a bit of a different direction than I was looking, it still wouldn't actually mess with my head. The natural Iron Man hud and whatever other visual tricks they may have used under the hood as well, made even that situation feel fine so I had plenty of time to re-thrust in the right direction while drifting still feeling comfortable.

Agreed, I hope a lot of the VR devs/pubs release PS5 patches that'd be awesome. We got a nice boost from the Pro so if they could do some PS5 patches for some of these games it'd be great and also ease the wait for PSVR2.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Y'all need to stop talking about how good this is. Between it and Astrobot, I'm going to want to get a PSVR despite having a Quest already.
If Sony is smart, they'll put a good bundle on their Days of Play sale on June 3rd. Last black friday you could get PSVR + Camera + Moves + Blood and Truth + Everybody's Golf VR for $250, a repeat of that would be sweet to get people in for Iron Man.

Can this work with a regular controller or do I gotta buy the sex toys?
You need the Moves. They're doing a bundle for launch, for $100 you get the Moves + The Game, solid deal since the MSRP of the Moves is normally $100 anyways and they've been sold out for a while.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Played through the demo earlier. Was definitely a little bit of a challenge to get used to but wow. I had a blast. Color me impressed. Flying feels amazing. I'll definitely be picking this one up.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm definitely getting one this year because I don't expect PSVR2 till at least 2022, I'm just waiting for a good deal because it currently goes for like $300 something in Peru (the value pack that includes Astrobot, RE7, Skyrim and a couple of other games) and if I add the Move controllers, that's another $100.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stood up and got better at the flying. It takes practice, but yea. This is amazing. Day 1. Cannot wait. I just wish it had better hardware to play it on. :(

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Very impressive Sony and Camo. I'm in for day one. And I haven't touched my psvr in probably a year until this demo.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I got just under 38 seconds finally!

I hope there's more flying course type missions in this game, because I know I can get addicted trying to shave down my times.

the actual story mission was pretty cool, just flying next to the plane and the little setpiece moments they had. seems like a lot of effort went into this.

(also referring to the moves as sex toys smh lol)

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
That demo was awesome. The only thing I had trouble with was using the Smart Missiles. Anyone else had this problem too? 😅

Also, How do you unlock the Molten Lava deco armor?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
That demo was awesome. The only thing I had trouble with was using the Smart Missiles. Anyone else had this problem too? 😅

Also, How do you unlock the Molten Lava deco armor?
Yeah, I'll admit those weren't the most intuitive. They could have just allowed head tracking to paint the targets while your wrists were pointed down.
So instead, I had to point my arms up and hold my wrists down to be able to keep the Smart Missle reticle enabled while painting the targets.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yeah, I'll admit those weren't the most intuitive. They could have just allowed head tracking to paint the targets while your wrists were pointed down.
So instead, I had to point my arms up and hold my wrists down to be able to keep the Smart Missle reticle enabled while painting the targets.
Same here. Either that or I am not sure how to aim while having my wrists down. Anyone know how to unlock the Molten Lava deco suit?

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Finally got to try it last night and I had a ton of fun I must say. Had some trouble getting to grips with the flight controls, especially during the time trial level - I just kept crashing into shit lol. I did find out later that you could change the turning-mode to smooth, so that might help me a little. Will try that out later. I do have a question regarding flying downwards... how the F do you do that? I just let go on the thrusters and fell to a lower altitude, but I figure you must be able to actually fly downwards, right?

Edit: I guess you could fly downwards by turning your hands toward the ceiling but that's pretty awkward and not how Iron Man would do it

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but not THAT good. Same with Astrobot. Def not enough to warrant the purchase of an objectively worse headset when you already have a Quest.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Is something up with the Playstation store and/or this demo? I can't find the demo on the store using my PS4 no matter how I search. On playstation.com, I can find it, but Chrome won't let me sign in, and on Edge, the demo page disappears and won't re-load as soon as I do sign in. Do I have to browse the store in my VR headset to find this, or something?

edit: never mind, I finally found it in the PSVR section on the console. Geez, Sony's store is crap.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Is something up with the Playstation store and/or this demo? I can't find the demo on the store using my PS4 no matter how I search. On playstation.com, I can find it, but Chrome won't let me sign in, and on Edge, the demo page disappears and won't re-load as soon as I do sign in. Do I have to browse the store in my VR headset to find this, or something?

Same search didn't work, but going in PSVR tab with new release. You will find it there.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
the combat challenge is hard, I can't seem to dodge the final drone's giant beam. any tips?

Took me a few tries to beat it last night. When the revenant or reaper thing or whatever it's called does that charge up thing with the three beams, double tap your triggers to boost in almost any direction and get out of the line of fire. I had to remind myself to save my boost for those drones as I think boosting might be the only way to make them miss. After they fire that shot, they're vulnerable for a few seconds and you can blast them. My go-to move was to boost kinda towards them but to the side then quick turn and blast them from behind.

I really wish they would've made that combat trial untimed. I took the suggestion upthread about Spotify and played some music while flying around last night. Ended up doing those trials over and over for a couple hours. Started to actually feel like Iron Man for a bit. The game is real cool from the jump, but it gets even cooler once you start to feel like you're really in control. It'd be awesome to have an untimed trial where I can just fly around and toy with the drones.

Although, I do hope they let you retry without returning to the dang loading screen in the real release. That got tiring quick. I could see that being the difference between me doing dozens of hours in the trials or me never really touching them and just playing through the story. Long loading screens are a pain in VR.

Yeah, that's tough. On one hand, I love my Quest and it has caused me to think "dammit, I wish I could play this game without this obnoxious cord and the goofy Move controllers" almost every time I boot up my PSVR. Between that and the glaring filter that seems to be covering the screen, It feels like some last gen nonsense... On the other hand, Astrobot and this demo are far more impressive pieces of software than anything on Quest. It's tough. After last night, I'm desperate for Sony to accelerate PSVR 2. I don't want to see 3 more years of this caliber of software relegated to this headset.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I decided to cancel that hasty pre-order as I just don't enjoy the movement, nothing about this game feels intuitive with the moves and I'm too old and stubborn to go out of my way to sit and endure the process of forcing it - when there's so many things fighting against having fun I just CBA and would rather move on to something else.

Just having to stand up to play is a big turn off in anything that isn't just a pop in and arse around kinda game like Job Simulator or whatever, I can run ultra marathons for fun but having to stand still to queue or do something like this just hurts my back. So it's probably all my fault, but it is what it is, this game is not for me.

One other weird thing was the HUD seemed purposefully laggy as though it was supposed to be a comfort thing, but it just pissed me off, especially because taking note of anything in it felt hard work, it seems too far into the periphery.

It's a shame because it's all very well crafted and polished beyond the interaction. Maybe it's just a bad fit for PSVR's ancient moves tech. I have no idea how it would or even could play as a more traditional game with a ds4 but I wish it was there to at least try.

clawber

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had an issue where they see the title screen after starting the demo but then the screen goes completely black and freezes.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Managed to get my old Move controllers charged up. The demo was very cool; had trouble flying the tutorial course through the rings but the actual mission I had no problems with.

I was on PS4 Pro and it seemed pretty smooth. I think they nailed it as best they could with the Move controllers.

PSVR 2 with improved tracking controls, res, and wireless would be amazing. Games like this already sold me on the potential.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Finally got around to try the demo. And it was better than I expected, I have a fear of heights and was expecting it to kick in when flying but I was totally fine. When playing Windlands or even just the Index Knuckles controller demo, I usually struggle with it a bit, but no problem here.
Controls were quite intuitive, at least for flying. Turning needs some getting used to as the Skyrim controls are just muscle memory by now, but since you can just turn your body without a problem this should not be a problem.

Cannot wait for the final game!

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Well..... Yes? It's the best option for the foreseeable future.... You don't have to preorder tho.
Are there any place for preorder in the US don't see any on GameStop or Amazon ?
It's just annoying my PS3 ones are dead and when I bought them new they were less than $50 bucks. Sony should have them for sale considering you need them for many PSVR games

UPDATE

Thanks to gamestop sale i just ordered some move controllers on sale!

Last edited: