• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So, played the whole demo now, twice.
Here's my review.

It's pretty good. Not unbelievable great, but really good. I want to play more.

The graphics are good, not 100% native resolution wise, unfortunately, but actually not too bad. They found the perfect spot between native res and non native res so you notice it's not 100% sharp but also not too blurry that it disappoints you. That coming from me means something, cause I'm normally super critical when it comes to resolution.

The feeling is fantastic, you need a bit to really get into it, that's why I played it twice, but once you have the perfect setting, which was smooth turning for me and every motion sickness help off (Definitely recommend that), it's smooth as butter.

It's a bit confusing why you only fly vertically, even in the game world itself, which doesn't make sense but they probably wanted to keep it 1:1 cause you're standing in reality, but then there are also sitting scenes which breaks with that rule, so I don't know.
Also think the helmet feeling isn't good. Everytime the helmet activates it feels like you're Mysterio and not Iron Man, if this size comparison is even enough.
Oh and the frame rate drops here and there while being in the middle of the fight, they need to polish that.

But otherwise it's pretty good, it's fast, it's great to control, the move connection was good in my tests, no big problem here. And it feels fast.
Wish we had the movie actors as voices but it's not a MCU game, I know. 😛

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The PSN Description said:
Soar through the skies as Iron Man in this exhilarating VR experience, available on PlayStation Store. Get a taste of the game missions in this demo and learn how to fly around in Malibu, while taking command of Iron Man's ironic armor and abilities

I don't remember Iron Man's Ironic Armor. Who'd he design it to counteract?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember Iron Man's Ironic Armor. Who'd he design it to counteract?
eef.png

Oct 27, 2017
Great demo, tutorial took a bit of getting used to, story mission went a lot more smoothly; suiting up was awesome, "it makes you FEEL like Iron Man". Too bad I won't be able to get this at launch, but really good first impression.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
So I guess this is the only way I can get some move controllers since they seem super rare and overpriced

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I can't fucking believe it. I have no clue how they did this but I just beat the demo and I do not feel motion sickness. I just flew in VR as Iron Man and I'm not queasy. WTF.

Its hard to escape the feeling that the Move controller isnt right for this. The IK on the hands/wrists is not right, and some of the moves don't feel as natural as they could. Being wired and not being able to turn 360 hurts as well, but beyond hardware concerns, I am absolutely wowed by this. It was incredibly fun and I still am shocked I'm not motion sick. HOW!?

I do wish I could turn both left and right on either controller, rather than having turn left be on the left only and right be on the right only. I will be replaying this demo again for sure.
Isn't this the game where you can spin around full 360° with moves due to the gyro based prediction?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
That was awesome. I only played the story mission once so I was quite bad at turning and going forward instead of up / going up instead of forward but a bit more play time will fix that.

They did great with not making me feel sick with flying through the air. Astro Bot made me feel sick due to the camera moving forwards on a horizontal level design so how they solved that with a 360 degree environment astounds me.

I highly recommend trying the demo out.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it unrealistic to hope PSVR2 is wireless?

I rarely use my PSVR because the six hundred wires and connections it uses tends to be a pain in the ass with setting up. I think last time I used it I literally had to dig the manual out to remember how everything plugged in properly. 😂
In 2016 I bought a PSVR by itself for $400, no controllers, no tracking just the headset/breakoutbox/wires and it still required a ps4 or to work even better a ps4 pro. In 2019 The Oculus Quest released for 400 and it currently is a pc/standalone hybrid headset that also comes with controllers and hand tracking. Something tells me by 2021-2022 we will have a similar leap for less money.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
That was a blast, the controls feel good but aiming and moving takes a little getting used to. Perhaps not the best weather for VR with it being so warm but I might get it day one. Good stuff.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Need that bundle in NA. Can't play the demo due to now Moves but there is no way I'm not getting this when it releases (unless I can find Moves haha!).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's heartbreaking how badly this feels restrained by the Moves. The IQ, core mechanics, sense of presence, it's all there but the Moves and light based tracking make 360 degree movement nearly impossible and the game is clearly trying to push you to rotate constantly.

I'm still in, it's Iron Man VR for God's sake, but I'm disappointed that this wound up a PlayStation exclusive while Sony is still sitting on decade-old controller technology that is clearly pushed beyond their limits here.

N2BearHugs

May 29, 2018
Hmmm. This is pretty good. Flight feels right, but seems like it'll take time to master. I'm gonna get that unlock, if it kills me.

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
Just finished the demo. The tracking is so so so good. They nailed it, the wait just got a lot longer. I had a huge window open with sunlight beaming right at me and it still tracked perfectly and the moves worked flawlessly. Can't believe the magic they pulled off with this.
Sounds like it's worth a try, I'll download it after work.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I have moves, and they hold a charge fine, but they're ps3 originals. For another £55 new moves seems worth it, psvr 2 is a way off. Smyths preorder in.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So, played the whole demo now, twice.
Here's my review.

It's pretty good. Not unbelievable great, but really good. I want to play more.

The graphics are good, not 100% native resolution wise, unfortunately, but actually not too bad. They found the perfect spot between native res and non native res so you notice it's not 100% sharp but also not too blurry that it disappoints you. That coming from me means something, cause I'm normally super critical when it comes to resolution.

The feeling is fantastic, you need a bit to really get into it, that's why I played it twice, but once you have the perfect setting, which was smooth turning for me and every motion sickness help off (Definitely recommend that), it's smooth as butter.

It's a bit confusing why you only fly vertically, even in the game world itself, which doesn't make sense but they probably wanted to keep it 1:1 cause you're standing in reality, but then there are also sitting scenes which breaks with that rule, so I don't know.
Also think the helmet feeling isn't good. Everytime the helmet activates it feels like you're Mysterio and not Iron Man, if this size comparison is even enough.
Oh and the frame rate drops here and there while being in the middle of the fight, they need to polish that.

But otherwise it's pretty good, it's fast, it's great to control, the move connection was good in my tests, no big problem here. And it feels fast.
Wish we had the movie actors as voices but it's not a MCU game, I know. 😛

Thanks for your impressions. Did you play on PS4 Pro?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did a double take at this. As Iron Man, you can only ascend and descend? You never move forwards or backwards?

Or do you just mean that you can't do crazy stuff like flying upside down or loop-de-loops?

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
I did a double take at this. As Iron Man, you can only ascend and descend? You never move forwards or backwards?

Or do you just mean that you can't do crazy stuff like flying upside down or loop-de-loops?

You can definitely fly in all directions. You can't do loops because your body isn't actually flying, you are standing in your living room, but you have full freedom of movement.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
All PS4 Moves use micro USB. Unless for some reason Sony is now producing PS3 Moves, it'll use the same port as the DS4.

Just to correct you: There is only one PlayStation Move controller and it has a female mini USB charging port, not micro like the DS4.

EDIT: Is this wrong? Is there actually a new PlayStation 4 Move controller with a micro USB charging port?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
To everyone charging your move controllers, hope they still work for you! Tried charging mine a few weeks back and they're dead as :(
I bought new batteries a few years ago for mine, but one won't charge now? Guess I'm having to grab that bundle.

Edit. Wait, the US bundle is only for the full setup. Not just the games and two move controls...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Thanks for your impressions. Did you play on PS4 Pro?

Yes on Pro. I expected it to look worse, honestly, they just have to fix the slight fps problems and it could be really good.

No you can fly in every direction and that even really precise and smooth with different combinations of your hand movement, but your in-game model is always standing in the air, the model as well as the hologram model in the helmet, like you're standing in your living room playing this. Even if you boost straight ahead and that's just a little bit awkward.

Oh, I forgot something, I really have to praise the vibrations. I think I've never had a single game before where my move controllers vibrate this hard and this long lasting. Felt really good while flying and boosting.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is it unrealistic to hope PSVR2 is wireless?

I rarely use my PSVR because the six hundred wires and connections it uses tends to be a pain in the ass with setting up. I think last time I used it I literally had to dig the manual out to remember how everything plugged in properly. 😂

unlikely, but I'd bet money on it being a single USB-C cable to connect up, no breakout box/HDMI splitter etc

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just to correct you: There is only one PlayStation Move controller and it has a female mini USB charging port, not micro like the DS4.

EDIT: Is this wrong? Is there actually a new PlayStation 4 Move controller with a micro USB charging port?
There are two models of the Moves, the PS3 Moves (Mini USB, white Sony logo at the bottom) and PS4 Moves (Micro USB, black Sony logo at the bottom). They both work with PSVR and according to google some PS3 ones were bundled with PSVR at the beginning, but now if it has PS4 branding it's the Micro USB version. The PS4 Moves have a bigger battery and the micro USB port, but are otherwise identical.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I hope i dont get destroyed at work today so i can play it when i get home. I dont like playing vr when im super tired.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
oh god I haven't touched any VR in a while, and got majorly dizzy & nauseous during this, had to step away

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
Again no idea where this 'only fly vertically' thing is coming from. You fly all the heck over and you can go real fast.

I just loaded it back up to try the optional challenge missions in the demo and, yeah, still not motion sick and still having a blast.

Flight controls are very intuitive (minus turning with a button), but combat is a little counterintuitive due to button placements and it not really mapping to the type of hand positions you want to do as iron man thanks to the move controller.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There are two models of the Moves, the PS3 Moves (Mini USB, white Sony logo at the bottom) and PS4 Moves (Micro USB, black Sony logo at the bottom). They both work with PSVR and according to google some PS3 ones were bundled with PSVR at the beginning, but now if it has PS4 branding it's the Micro USB version. The PS4 Moves have a bigger battery and the micro USB port, but are otherwise identical.

Thank you! I had no idea. I've had the PS3 move controllers since the beginning.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Tempting, but kind of late in the gen to buy this headset. I'd imagine a new headset will release with PS5. Though covid might be an issue.
Yeah, either a new one is out in 2-3 years or there's no successor and it kind of fizzles out. Either way if you're not completely sold it doesn't make a lot of sense to jump in unless you've got tons of spare cash or need more games to play.

I was tempted to pick up a headset for PC but I think I'll keep an eye out and see where things go the next couple years. The tech is getting better and better while the headsets get cheaper.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Seems the tweet for the game+move bundle has been deleted. How much is it ? (Game and move, for people who already got psvr but couldn't find move controllers anywhere) ?

Nov 7, 2017
This demo is pretty good, the flying feeling isnt as good as ace combat 7 but close, I liked the training arena more than the main mission so hopefully in the full game theres more freedom of movement in the missions.

I liked the blood and truth style parts from the beginning of the main mission also very nice.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
just finished, flying is great, need some practice but yeh no nausea amazingly because playing Ace Combat for like 30 seconds made me queasy for hours.

and yeh the moves are just awful sadly, never felt like the hands were 1-1 with me, and just erratic tracking like most other move games unfortunately. still when it works, its pretty damn impressive and fun

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just finished the demo. Pretty great, with my only real complaints being not being able to change the VR settings on the fly (heh) and the framerate randomly going to shit every now and then (at least on the Slim).

The flying and combat is awesome. Would totally work and look better on other headsets / controllers but played just fine here. Day 1.