• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Always wanted to play Suikoden but honestly just got put off because PAL 50Hz but also apparently they're the best versions of the games on PS1???

I'll probably back this though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if trying to return to Suikoden's dozens of playable characters will bite them in the ass.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I want a new Suikoden so bad and the art looks so good I'm going to give them my money. Even knowing the whole project might implode and it may never come out.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
All consoles are a single stretch-goal

Yeah.

A Kickstarter campaign seeking $500,000 USD in funding for a PC release—with a single stretch goal to unlock PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Switch versions (or next-gen Switch, if one is available)—will run from July 27 at 9:00 a.m. PT / 12:00 p.m. ET to August 28. A trailer will also debut when the campaign launches.

It's a PC release with 500k and all other consoles will be a stretch goal. There will also be a full trailer on 27th

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Unfortunately it seems like no. She is long retired from VG industry
Yeahh I figured.
Composers: Michiko Naruke (Wild Arms series), Motoi Sakuraba (Tales of series), and more.

SolidRapidHadrosaurus-size_restricted.gif
These folks are excellent though I'm happy

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
While I had issues with Octopath--it's aesthetic/presentation was not one of them. This look fantastic, hope it meets its goals!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And YES people, you should play Suikoden. It's one of the best jrpg franchise there is and Suikoden 2 is one of the best jrpgs of all time.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
y'all, i can't even. Suikoden 1+2 are two of my favorite JRPGs, two of my favorite games, ever made. i can't even with this announcement. i tempered my expectations when Murayama teased an announcement earlier this year, but this is so much better than anything i would have ever believed. T.T i'm so happy.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they have no intention of actually releasing on Switch, they're just trying to cover all bases for funding.

Well, from the Siliconera interview:

For example if a next-gen Switch comes out, but has worse graphical capability than a PlayStation 4, we'll have to make some tough resolution adjustments in order to get as close to the baseline as possible. However, one of the
advantages of using pixel art mean that we won't take as big of a hit from different hardware specs as a full 3D game might so we should largely be able to keep the base gameplay intact.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Always wanted to play Suikoden but honestly just got put off because PAL 50Hz but also apparently they're the best versions of the games on PS1???

I'll probably back this though.

1 & 2 are still worth playing no matter what imo. Replayed on Vita about a year or so ago and felt great.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
500K for a PC release.
So they've already got a publishing partner and this game is like 80% done then?

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
That artstyle wow. Those battle scenes! It looks so dynamic even from a still frame.

I hope this takes off! Man Suikoden is so good.

I can imagine a BOFVII in this artsyle too. I hope Capcom is watching.

Oh the video is a snippet of battle scenes and man that looks good. Taking the Octopath Traveler style further.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That looks extremely nice. Basically too nice for the budget they're asking. I hope they have external funding in addition to the kickstarter.

This is screaming Square Enix pick up honestly.

That artstyle wow. Those battle scenes! It looks so dynamic even from a still frame.

I hope this takes off! Man Suikoden is so good.

I can imagine a BOFVII in this artsyle too. I hope Capcom is watching.

Oh the video is a snippet of battle scenes and man that looks good. Taking the Octopath Traveler style further.

This style would not fit BOF.

BOF IV's sprites remain superior to this =) .

I also don't want side scrolling only for BOF.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really prefer how the sprites look here compared to Octopath Traveller's. The whole aesthetic feels much better integrated.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Eiyuden-Chronicle-Hundred-Heroes_2020_07-24-20_007.jpg

The only Black character revealed so far is Marisa, a young woman who is described as a member of a Guardian clan that seems to live in the forest and isn't as technologically advanced as other groups (though still will occasionally use their tech). Are you concerned about how her depiction could come across? (Especially since, in Suikoden III, many of the Black characters all came from the Grasslands and Bob, one of the only Black cast members in Suikoden II, was also the only werewolf?)

Murayama:

Marisa's clan doesn't live in the forest, they protect the forest and nature. And they are the only group in the game world that has the strongest technology capable of utilizing some powerful rune-lenses. That's why Marisa is on equal footing with both Nowa's group and the empire. The technological advances give her clan an edge. We feel confident that when people play as Marisa they will see we are not falling into tropes that would depict her as tribal; instead this is closer to how Wakanda is depicted in Marvel movies.

source: https://www.siliconera.com/yoshitaka-murayama-talks-about-eiyuden-chronicle-and-its-kickstarter/

This was cool to read

So far looks and sounds great! Hope other jRPG devs catch to this.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's an interview on RPG Gamer.

This bit is really cool:

RPGamer: Are there any particular interesting elements to the combat?

R&B: The basic party number is six members. However, we have a few interesting design choices around how to innovate on different battles. For example, we want to provide as many unique battle situations and animations as possible. Using dynamic camerawork and the right effects will give them more visual punch. Also, the backgrounds won't just be some two-dimensional piece of wallpaper that occasionally changes. For example, if you are battling in the forest and have a Ninja character, they will have the special ability hide behind trees. Also casting an earthquake magic can change the topography and battle conditions greatly.

Just look at this screenshot to have an idea of what they are saying:

eiyuden-chronicle_2020-07-24_006.jpg

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
y'all, i can't even. Suikoden 1+2 are two of my favorite JRPGs, two of my favorite games, ever made. i can't even with this announcement. i tempered my expectations when Murayama teased an announcement earlier this year, but this is so much better than anything i would have ever believed. T.T i'm so happy.
Same :) i'm so happy right now, hopefully this will push through.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well, not going to get hyped at this point but I'll definitely keep an eye on things in the hope that this releases and is actually good.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad we now have this and Bloodstained.

Don't need Konami anymore.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm in.

I've wondered why, with so many indie games wearing Suikoden's influence on their sleeves, I hadn't seen a high-profile kickstarter for a straight-up Suikoden clone. Guess we're finally getting one, and from Murayama no less!

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
Goddamnit, I should have learned my lessons about Kickstarter.

my mind is saying no, BUT MY BODY'S SAYING HELL YESSS!!!!

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Real good RPG finally coming back ?
The chara design is a little bit less good than 2 and 3 but works fine.

I say, if it's as good as 1, 2 or 3, CHAUDE DAME !

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Those screens look unreal.

So unreal in fact, that I'm going to wait and see what happens with this instead of blindly throwing money at it. Character designs look ace, though.