• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Art style looks extremely generic

And who the fuck comes up with these extremely un-marketable names

edit: that said, I hope this somehow makes a huge profit and eventually a 3D game with a good budget can be produced

but I'm not sure that could be the case with that name and art style

EDIT: on second thought, art style is okay, but it absolutely pales in comparison to previous Suikoden games. I know Suikoden V's artist passed away, but I don't think that was the same artist that worked on III or IV. Both III and IV have amazing art styles IMO

Give me an amazing anime opening like S3 thank u

*People are celebrating outside*

*pleaseinsertdisctwo arises from his tomb*

"Bah! What is going on?"

*looks at new game release*

"Meh! Looks like shit! Wake me up when the PS2 is real again!"

This was entirely in jest, you're still cool pleaseinsertdisctwo.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have never donated to a video game's kickstarter before. I've heard a lot of horror stories on this site about broken promises and the like. But I am really tempted to donate for this one. Suikoden is one of my favorite JRPG series. The character art already looks great, and if the writing is as good as some of the old Suikoden games, this could be one of the best JRPGs in years.
Like the other user said, the angriest people will always get heard first. I've supported close to a dozen kickstarters and haven't had an issue yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Like the other user said, the angriest people will always get heard first. I've supported close to a dozen kickstarters and haven't had an issue yet.

I wish I could say the same for myself. I think the total list of successful Kickstarters I've actually gotten my backer rewards from is Broken Age and Bloodstained and that's it. Oh, right. Chasm too.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
This entire paragraph from the Polygon article is checking all of the right boxes that I want from a Suikoden game.

Classic JRPG exploration, turned based combat, Pixel-art, Fortress building, recruiting 100 characters. It's everything I want.

Now lets hope they deliver.
I second ALL of that. I don't think we can count on Konami anymore. Like with Bloodstained games being the spiritual successors to the Castlevania series (Ritual of the Night being the Metroidvania CV successor and the Curse of the Moon games being awesome successors to the old school side-scrolling CVs), this is basically that, but for Suikoden. What next? A spiritual successor to Goemon? Gradius? Silent Hill (I know people got their hopes up for August, but my faith in Konami's pretty much non-existent at this point)?

Anywho, this game and everything I'm hearing and seeing from it looks AWESOME! I texted my little sister regarding this (she's a big Suikoden fan) and she's stoked.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
This will literally be my first kickstarter campaign I have given money to. Alongside Skies of Arcadia, the Suikoden series of games have been by far my favorite RPGs, and I play most JRPG and Western style RPGs that come out these days. The hole left behind by not having an RPG like Suikoden has sucked and to see so many veterans of this type of game joining the project makes me want to make sure it has every chance of succeeding.

Personally I am happy they are just making a whole new game rather then just continuing the Suikoden series, they can build a whole new world, with its own set of mythos and not be held back by Suikoden 4-5 decisions since Murayama wasn't part of their production. Hopefully the kickstarter is successful, the eventual game is successful and they make more games after this. I want more RPGs like this again ;_;.

Ahuitzotl

Jun 11, 2020
Nice probably going to support. Why are most nonestablished games showing black characters always going for black female characters lately?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
This reminds me that I need to finish Suikoden 2 at some point.

I'll probably back this though.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I like what I hear! I never played Wild Arms outside of like 30 minutes of the first game years ago. Maybe I should give it another shot?

The soundtrack is killer, and I still love it, but I don't know how much of that is nostalgia - the battles feel pretty slow - it was one of the first rpgs to have 3D battles and they're pretty basic. Outside of that I still find it pretty enjoyable. Give the remake a wide berth though

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
its because people who are mad are the loudest

theres been so many successful and great videogame kickstarters
don't worry about previously failed ones and worry about the details of this one, to decide if you want to contribute

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to check out all the details once the Kickstarter goes live. This game looks like it could be really great. I've been burnt out by JRPGs for a while now, but this one looks exactly like the kind of game I have been wanting to play for years.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
Suikoden is my all-time favorite JRPG series. Played 1, 2 and 5 (my favorite one) multiple times. I loved how relatively grounded the conflicts in those games were compared to JRPGs at the time. I'll definitely try and support the Kickstarter when it starts.

Have there been any games out there that have the same feel as the Suikoden sereis? I think the closest I've played are probably the Trails series in terms of their world building and sense of place.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I have never donated to a video game's kickstarter before. I've heard a lot of horror stories on this site about broken promises and the like. But I am really tempted to donate for this one. Suikoden is one of my favorite JRPG series. The character art already looks great, and if the writing is as good as some of the old Suikoden games, this could be one of the best JRPGs in years.
The only kickstarter I've ever donated to is one of the most notorious failures, although technically (someone) is still trying to make the game, Unsung Story. It doesn't bother me at all. I would throw $20 or $40 at anyone with the same pitch as Unsung Story today even after getting burned. I have concerns about this too but I will probably still back. It's a knowing risk.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

edit: that said, I hope this somehow makes a huge profit and eventually a 3D game with a good budget can be produced

EDIT: on second thought, art style is okay, but it absolutely pales in comparison to previous Suikoden games. I know Suikoden V's artist passed away, but I don't think that was the same artist that worked on III or IV. Both III and IV have amazing art styles IMO

Junko Kawano was the artist on 1 and 4.

Also Fumi Ishikawa is dead? I want some receipts.

The horror stories are overrepresented: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/edit#gid=0

This isn't up to date, but it's statistically not very likely that the majority of projects after this were somehow failures or horribly mismanaged.

Last edited:

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
This looks absolutely phenomenal, i hope they manage to meet theirs goals and develop accordingly.

Also, someone people correct me, but the way their artstyle is mixing 2d and 3d in battles to position the characters with a sense of height and depth seems very unique, i cannot recall another rpg doing the same.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Generic? This looks like a natural evolution over Suikoden 2. Generic?

Suikoden doesn't need 3D.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Junko Kawano was the artist on 1 and 4.

Also Fumi Ishikawa is dead? I want some receipts.

Junko Kawano was the artist for Suikoden 1, 4, and Rhapsodia.
She also did the key art/cover art for Suikoden Centennial Tapestry on PSP (only released in Japan)

Fumi Ishikawa was the artist for Suikoden 2 and 3.

Kaori Fujita is the artist that sadly passed away that did some of the art for Suikoden V along with the art director "King" (Hideki Tanaka).

Also, super stoked for Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes and will be throwing all the money at the Kickstarter :D

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my, this actually looks great and they seem to have a nice roster of veteran staff on the project! Haven't backed a kickstarter in years but man, this looks very promising. Totally gonna back this in some capacity.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I love, love, love me some Suikoden 2, and I think it is the best looking game in the series, but Suikoden 3 definitely has a strong story mode (while also utilizing its cast of characters far better).
Suikoden 3 also has a lot of dumb/frustrating stuff.

Like I remember something about lazily trying to absolve Chris of being a child murderer and has one of the characters (Duck Man?) treat Hugo like a baby for confronting her about it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden 3 also has a lot of dumb/frustrating stuff.

Like I remember something about lazily trying to absolve Chris of being a child murderer and has one of the characters (Duck Man?) treat Hugo like a baby for confronting her about it.

The story does establish that the whole conflict was a rage spiral that was being influenced by outside forces.
I think it is fair to criticize that storytelling mechanism, as it does feel a little sloppy. It definitely lets some characters off the hook, too. I mean, I loved Borus for being a complex character, but Chris and her crew REALLY let that dude off the hook...
...(especially since they aren't aware that he was being influenced by outside forces).
That being said, Suikoden 2 had...
...Jowy perpetuating a war needlessly. Arguably because he held a rune that was in conflict with Riou's.
So, there have always been a few dicey elements in the stories of those games, it doesn't stop the majority of it from being pretty compelling, though.

It did Flik and Viktor dirty, though.

If Murayama had stayed with Konami, I feel like we would have received a more satisfying conclusion to the stories of those two. As is, we never really fully got Edge's story or his connection to the pair. It is most certainly unfortunate.

*edit*
Wait, are you referencing the plays?

Last edited:

ethelred

Oct 28, 2017
It looks interesting, but I don't trust Kickstarter games. I've never Kickstarted a game and never will. It never turns out well.

You're welcome to your perspective on that, but I've Kickstarted quite a few games and it's turned out well for me most of the time. You just need to be savvy about what you're backing.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
So the fact that they mention "Next gen Switch if one is available" makes me think this will be a while away.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I really like this character design.
028.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, this looks so much better than I could have expected. And avoiding stretch goals... /chef kiss

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
To each their own but I think Suikoden 2 had a much better story than 3.

I think 5 edges them both (but it's reeeeaally close). It definitely has the best political intrigue and does the best job of fleshing out the minor characters/giving them a role in the story beyond just being more Pokemon to collect.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
The most I'm interested in are:

- I need to know who is the strategist. Someone like Shu, please.

- I need two cool bros like Flik and Viktor. Their jokes never get old.

- The mini game war system and the 1v1 duels.

- Vampires, please.

- pretty boys attack combo. Maybe pretty girls this time?

- Suikoden 3 like opening. Still unmatched today.

- someone like Jeane and Viki.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure if this was posted but we have basic description of the revealed characters so far

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Coming in 2022 from Suikoden Creators | RPGFan News

Extensive RPG News and Reviews Coverage Since 1998.
Yoooooooooooooooooooo

Michiko Naruke is on board to be a composer in this

ASfsdgdsyhdhjutfjyfygk

Edit: I see I'm late to this reaction and everyone else already went ASfsdgdsyhdhjutfjyfygk but I'm going ASfsdgdsyhdhjutfjyfygk too anyway