• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Looks amazing I'll throw in some money, these guys made one of my favorite rpgs of all time in suikoden 2.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Also, honestly...

my least favorite aspect of the Suikoden games, by far, is collecting the 108 Stars of Destiny to get the best/true ending

it's always a giant pain in the ass and is not fun at all

hopefully that isn't going to be the case for this game but I won't hold my breath

As someone that dropped Suikoden V (Despite loving it) after losing a missable character, have to agree.

The hundred heroes in the title doesn't make me optimistic tho. At best, they could make every character recruitable in the last arm of the game.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Art style looks extremely generic

And who the fuck comes up with these extremely un-marketable names

edit: that said, I hope this somehow makes a huge profit and eventually a 3D game with a good budget can be produced

but I'm not sure that could be the case with that name and art style

EDIT: on second thought, art style is okay, but it absolutely pales in comparison to previous Suikoden games. I know Suikoden V's artist passed away, but I don't think that was the same artist that worked on III or IV. Both III and IV have amazing art styles IMO

Give me an amazing anime opening like S3 thank u
This is the same artist as Suikoden 1 and 4.

Oct 31, 2017
- Nocturne HD Remaster in 2021
- SMTV's simultaneous worldwide release in 2021
- Suikoden's spiritual successor in 2022 (hopefully)

The last few weeks have been great ! :D

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I don´t know what to say. I will back this so much. I do not know how many times I have said I wanted a new Suikoden in the style of Octopath Traveler design. And by the old gang. Ok so not a real Suikoden game but as close as we will get I suppose.
Only missing Miki Higashino doing music I guess. So f:ing happy right now!

Oct 27, 2017
This Kickstarter will likely be the one to which I give the most money lol. I wouldn't be surprised if I give in the three digits.

Ooh I'm happy (and fortunate enough) to drop 3 figures on this. I'll just think of it as money saved up from all the other crowd sourced stuff I never got involved in.

I'm giddy! From AA I'm pretty sure Murayama still has his scenario writing chops too...

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I don´t know what to say. I will back this so much. I do not know how many times I have said I wanted a new Suikoden in the style of Octopath Traveler design. And by the old gang. Ok so not a real Suikoden game but as close as we will get I suppose.
Only missing Miki Higashino doing music I guess. So f:ing happy right now!

I would argue that having Murayama on board means that this is the first real Suikoden game since the third title in the series (though Suikoden 5 is still most certainly an excellent game and does everything right). Konami holds the name, but who fucking cares about that shit? We got the talent! That is all that matters.

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still in shock.

Outside of Konami magically hiring this team back for S6, this is the best possible outcome. Maybe even better.

My only hope is that if they tease a magical, mysterious empire like Harmonia again, they actually take the player there in less than five games.
lol

This is the best video games timeline.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Looks very Octopath. I'm in! Will back the Kickstarter once it goes live.

Guess I'll need to play some of the earlier Suikoden games before this comes out...

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
lol

This is the best video games timeline.

Until it doesn't make the funding goal and the Suikoden dream is put to death in no uncertain terms...

source.gif

Looks very Octopath. I'm in! Will back the Kickstarter once it goes live.

Guess I'll need to play some of the earlier Suikoden games before this comes out...

Keep in mind that the first Suikoden is very rough around the edges. However, playing through it makes the second game so, so much better (and it is amazing on its own).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Until it doesn't make the funding goal and the Suikoden dream is put to death in no uncertain terms...

source.gif

It'll hit the funding goal. 500k is not a lot.

The real threat here is us being here in 2023 and the game's still not done yet and we haven't seen anything but an occasional backer blog post every three or four months that assures us it's still being worked on but shows no actual progress.

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
Guys how do I even play Suikoden 5 these days?

The real threat here is us being here in 2023 and the game's still not done yet and we haven't seen anything but an occasional backer blog post every three or four months that assures us it's still being worked on but shows no actual progress.

It's gonna blow past 500K the first day and then hit the stretch goals the first week and start tacking on new physical rewards as we get closer to the end of the 30 days. I don't think these guys have ever had that kind of money in their lives until reality hits them in the next 72 hours - days they will never forget I'm sure. Their work has been LOVED by a group of people who have real jobs now hahaha

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
All these people crying about kickstarter.

I would gladly pay $100 just for the chance something like Suikoden could come out in this day and age.

I'll be backing day one.
Seriously. People want to scream all day about getting spiritual sequels or whatever but apparently it means nothing if you won't even put together a few dollars for a dream to happen.

Please preorder the next AAA game with microtransactions, please.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I would argue that having Murayama on board means that this is the first real Suikoden game since the third title in the series (though Suikoden 5 is still most certainly an excellent game and does everything right). Konami holds the name, but who fucking cares about that shit? We got the talent! That is all that matters.
I rather have this made by these people than Konami trying to create a Suikoden 6 with a new group of developers. Konami can fuck off.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

PlanetSmasher, I love you. I always enjoy seeing your presence in any thread. You are an important member of this community. However, as much as your relentless pessimism is charming (and I mean that sincerely), I think this is the one moment for you to believe in hope. This is the time for you to open your heart up to the chance that things will turn out okay (this time). Sure, you are a smasher of planets, but that doesn't mean that you can't be an embracer of dreams. I believe in you!

I rather have this made by these people than Konami trying to create a Suikoden 6 with a new group of developers. Konami can fuck off.

LCBh0.gif

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. Seeing these images makes me wish this team was in charge of the Suikoden series instead of just sitting in Konami's IP vault. Definitely going to keep an eye on this in the future.

It is. I assume they're also going to self-fund or they have a publisher.

Yeah. That seems to be the path most crowdfunded games take these days.

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
source.gif

Yo. It'll hit it day 1.

I have a salaried job. $$$ like I couldn't dream of as a kid and this is my dream game. If it's my dream game, then I can only imagine what industry people are going to stir up with the word of mouth on this killer. I'm interested to see if it hits PS5 by the end of the first week. If I had to guess? It's gonna set records for Kickstarter and games software.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Wish the protagonists were older (and their descriptions less tropey) but I'm super excited. Naruke!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Started a poll on Twitter for people to guess how much this Kickstarter is going to raise.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Yo. It'll hit it day 1.

I have a salaried job. $$$ like I couldn't dream of as a kid and this is my dream game. If it's my dream game, then I can only imagine what industry people are going to stir up with the word of mouth on this killer. I'm interested to see if it hits PS5 by the end of the first week. If I had to guess? It's gonna set records for Kickstarter and games software.
I doubt it will set many records. I mean I hope it will. I will back it with a lot. Depending on what the rewards are. I have a well paying job and love these games more than any game ever. Played them so many times and still play them occasionally. But it is not that popular of a series. But I am sure it will reach its goal fast.

BTW Love how they picked a new name no English speaking person will be able to pronounce correctly!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I won't back it, but if it gets made I'll buy it. I just have too little faith in Kickstarter projects.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Started a poll on Twitter for people to guess how much this Kickstarter is going to raise.

I'm thinking above a million (but below three). However, I hope it destroys records and provides Murayama and his team the money to make the game they want to make.

Fun fact, the last Kickstarter game I contributed to was your game, WereZompire. It was also because you were talking about Suikoden being an influence. It is nice to see you here with fellow Suikoden fans. We need to cling together.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Man this inability to play PSN classics on modern hardware is stupid. I'd love to play through Suikoden II, but I sold my PS3 and PSP long ago. I think I still have my Vita, but I haven't used it in years...

On topic, I'mma back the shit out of this. Never played any Suikoden game before, but I trust its legacy and therefore the pedigree of the creators. Always down for more pseudo-retro JRPGs on Switch!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, it looks very nice. I really like the graphics. Sort of a modern retro throwback. It mimics the PS1 look while using modern effects as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
PlanetSmasher, I love you. I always enjoy seeing your presence in any thread. You are an important member of this community. However, as much as your relentless pessimism is charming (and I mean that sincerely), I think this is the one moment for you to believe in hope. This is the time for you to open your heart up to the chance that things will turn out okay (this time). Sure, you are a smasher of planets, but that doesn't mean that you can't be an embracer of dreams. I believe in you!

This is me being hopeful. I don't think Murayama's trying to scam anyone, at least! But this is a brand new studio that was put together in March of this year and they think they're gonna have a full Kickstarted RPG out in two years? And they're asking for $500k with no backup plan?

If they manage to pull it off I will be very happy for them. But there are enough historical red flags associated with classic nostalgic JRPG throwback Kickstarters that I have to be realistic and not let myself get carried away by hope. Suikoden II is too important to me to open myself up for another letdown.

Wait, protag is not mute?
I only played Suikoden 2.

It's not a hard and fast rule. The protags of Suikoden III were fully talkative characters and S5's protagonist had a few lines.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This is me being hopeful. I don't think Murayama's trying to scam anyone, at least! But this is a brand new studio that was put together in March of this year and they think they're gonna have a full Kickstarted RPG out in two years? And they're asking for $500k with no backup plan?

If they manage to pull it off I will be very happy for them. But there are enough historical red flags associated with classic nostalgic JRPG throwback Kickstarters that I have to be realistic and not let myself get carried away by hope. Suikoden II is too important to me to open myself up for another letdown.

DreamEmbracer! DreamEmbracer! DreamEmbracer! Take on your new form! Become the beautiful butterfly we all know you can be! Open your heart! Give love a chance!