• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Alright, close enough to 1 mil to pledge--hopefully this will get me motivated to finish the rest of my work for the day haha

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I've never played any of the Suikoden games but I want this to succeed just to spite Konami for how they've ignored this fanbase for so long, much like how I felt towards Capcom with Mighty No. 9 and us Mega Man fans.

Difference is, hopefully this one lives up to the hype and doesn't devolve into an unmitigated disaster like MN9 did. (No Keiji Inafune involvement, so it's already off to a more promising start. lol)

Oct 27, 2017
Suikoden 3 and 5 rule and Schreier, despite generally good jrpg taste, is wrong on these. 5 is a beautiful follow up in much the style of 2 and 3 has more gameplay innovations and heart than just about any ps2 rpg.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Now that is something that even most CRPGs don't have. And this is based (loosely) on a Chinese novel? If so, I might read the novel as well since I'm a sucker for Chinese novels and literature.

Yeah, Suikoden is based (loosely) on Water Margin. It's crazy, it's a Japanese RPG series based on a Chinese novel, and regularly features what can be described as Celtic music. Very cool stuff.

Also the magic (Runes) system in Suikoden is one of my favorites. There's millions of Runes out there, of many types, but only 27 True Runes, which birthed all the others, and to be the host of a True Rune means you never age, are holding supreme power, and will never live a peaceful life because you will always be drawn into conflict.

Also the Rune designs are some of the coolest shit in video games.

carmofin

Nov 15, 2017
I'll back this because I guess I have to.
But I will say this: I think the provided music is absolutely awfull and more representative of the generic JRPG trash that has poisoned the series ever after five.
Sorry if this offends anyone, but the celtic, asian tunes of Suikoden were something very very special.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
tenor.gif

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
To

To be fair generally the MC is one of the most powerful characters in the game. Both because you have to have them in your party and for pretty good in game reasons. The first one especially has the second strongest spell in the entire series while also being a melee monster.
Think he's talking more from a narrative perspective, and he's absolutely right. I hadn't actually thought of it that way before, but Suikoden does set itself apart from most other JRPGs by keeping the conflicts local and grounded. It makes even the small things and "minor" characters feel meaningful. The main character is nothing by himself.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Think he's talking more from a narrative perspective, and he's absolutely right. I hadn't actually thought of it that way before, but Suikoden does set itself apart from most other JRPGs by keeping the conflicts local and grounded. It makes even the small things and "minor" characters feel meaningful. The main character is nothing by himself.
Ah that is true. Generally it's all regional conflicts with influences from outside parties. I always hated that we never got a harmonia based one.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm telling all my Trails/Legend of Heroes friends about this because a lot of what they love about those games comes directly from Suikoden and will definitely be present here.
Really?

I have the first Trails game but never got very far beyond the intro. Hmm.

What aspects remind you of Suikoden?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Really?

I have the first Trails game but never got very far beyond the intro. Hmm.

If you like the characterization, interplay between the different characters, and the world-building then I can see it. There are also some of the good old politics being sprinkled in. At least in Trails in the Sky FC and SC. Only two I have played.

As for me, I am into Suikoden for the sweet base-building action and the big battles. Hopefully, those will be up to snuff in this one.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Suikoden 5 is very much a great game. I'd say it's the best after 2. If you have the opportunity to play it, definitely do.

The only bad game in the franchise is 4. S3 is divisive because it changed the combat system (though it's still good), and the story has three protagonists whose chapters can be played in any order for 2/3rds of the game. Mind you, it's still a good game. It's actually the game that introduced me to the franchise after I read Gamespot's review of it. I liked it enough to play through it twice!

So yeah, in your case, I'd say play any of the first five games except for 4. You can't go wrong. If you just want to play one of them, then go for 2, and 5 after.
I prefer to play chronologically through a series for the most part, but I'll consider skipping 4. Thanks!

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden 3 and 5 rule and Schreier, despite generally good jrpg taste, is wrong on these. 5 is a beautiful follow up in much the style of 2 and 3 has more gameplay innovations and heart than just about any ps2 rpg.
Suikoden 3 is excellent and Suikoden 5 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Don't listen to random posters saying they thought I maybe once said something!

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Think I'll have to back this, looks really interesting and haven't really played or seen much of the series. But this looks really cool!

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy to see this game is already funded. I didn't know if there were enough Suikoden fans out there to reach even the initial goal, let alone make over a million. This is really awesome to see.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Yeah, Suikoden is based (loosely) on Water Margin. It's crazy, it's a Japanese RPG series based on a Chinese novel, and regularly features what can be described as Celtic music. Very cool stuff.

Also the magic (Runes) system in Suikoden is one of my favorites. There's millions of Runes out there, of many types, but only 27 True Runes, which birthed all the others, and to be the host of a True Rune means you never age, are holding supreme power, and will never live a peaceful life because you will always be drawn into conflict.

Also the Rune designs are some of the coolest shit in video games.
Water Margin!? You mean one of the Four Classical Works of China? Okay, now I have to play this game...

Oct 27, 2017
3 is my favorite and i feel like it does a lot of heavy lifting for the series' planned overall plotline, plus damn, a JRPG that actually goes into issues like colonialism and cultural genocide? i feel like the kind of bland presentation of 3 hides how radical that game actually was

plus (and i'm sure it's already been posted multiple times):
[

Oct 25, 2017
3 is my favorite and i feel like it does a lot of heavy lifting for the series' planned overall plotline, plus damn, a JRPG that actually goes into issues like colonialism and cultural genocide? i feel like the kind of bland presentation of 3 hides how radical that game actually was

plus (and i'm sure it's already been posted multiple times):
[

Best gaming opening of all time.