• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
People are speculating that the new hidden goals are farming and duels which sound like a lot of fun.

The real question is whether it will be in the form of new campaign or in the form of sidequest
Given that it's DLC and that Marisa is a main character (going by marketing), I imagine it's a prequel (or maybe even sequel?) campaign featuring her (and ofc Pooby)

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
YRMUzvw.jpg

Work in progress commission color tease by: https://instagram.com/hexamendle?igshid=f784bhcmb1lz

:)
This is so awesome. I'm in love with Marisa's design. Another story? Heck yeah!

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
So they are doing character sidestories in the same way as PMD Explorers of Sky for the DLCs? This game is nailing everything!

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
They mentioned that all backers get DLC for free, yes? I coulda sworn I read that somewhere before but I can't find it now.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I don't particularly mind, because Kickstarters are just marketing after all, but it's become ridiculously clear that these "stretch goals" aren't stretch goals at all.

Like, early on, I could have believed that the extra $250k lets them port the game to console or the extra $50k can be directly allocated to a contractor translating the game into Korean.

But now there is virtually NO CHANCE that an extra $25k in funds suddenly allows them to produced voiced cutscenes they couldn't produce before. The team is either engaging in the "stretch goal creep" they so very clearly recognized was a trap for other Kickstarters, where more money doesn't suddenly just free up the time and design resources needed to carefully integrate a full-on flag designer system, racing system, monster raising system, or they clearly had plans to introduce that stuff all along and these tiny incremental goals are just a way to move the KS campaign along.

If a monster-raising minigame were really, truly a "stretch goal" only unlocked with additional funds directly allocated to its creation, it would need a heck of a lot more than $25k.

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
The team is either engaging in the "stretch goal creep" they so very clearly recognized was a trap for other Kickstarters, where more money doesn't suddenly just free up the time and design resources needed to carefully integrate a full-on flag designer system, racing system, monster raising system, or they clearly had plans to introduce that stuff all along and these tiny incremental goals are just a way to move the KS campaign along.

Bolded is my take.

I think it's smart. New characters or staples to the Suikoden series (such as castle building, fishing, etc) were clearly part of the plans, but by incrementally including these as the funding increases is a natural way to keep users engaged.

$3,000,000 is nothing in terms of funding a game so I'd much rather have smaller realistic goals that have been planned ahead than pinning specific outcomes on funding. That should be especially clear as consoles were "unlocked" at a much earlier funding level, so it's likely that was in the plans but it's a good early goal to help get increase early momentum.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
We just got Flag Design. We're officially in the Pink Zone for stretch goals!! Next up is the first DLC!!

I don't particularly mind, because Kickstarters are just marketing after all, but it's become ridiculously clear that these "stretch goals" aren't stretch goals at all.

But now there is virtually NO CHANCE that an extra $25k in funds suddenly allows them to produced voiced cutscenes they couldn't produce before.
Yes that is literally how all stretch goals work, dude.

Stretch goals aren't ACTUALLY funded by the amount of money between each goal. They're a way of getting more funding so that you can reach a point where you're reasonably certain that a feature you wanted to be put in the game is now within the budget to do so, not because you raised the entirety of funds from the goal but because you're total amount of money raised supports it.

Also, most crowdfunded games are not actually funded by the crowdfunds. It's a way of showing publishers that people are interested and will buy this game if it's released while also getting additional funds to bolster the project.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
They really are packing so many mini-games and stuff into this, I hope the game will be long and expansive enough to make it feel worth playing around with them. Have they mentioned anything about how long the game might end up being?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
They really are packing so many mini-games and stuff into this, I hope the game will be long and expansive enough to make it feel worth playing around with them. Have they mentioned anything about how long the game might end up being?
About 15 hours. However the minigames will add an additional 85 hours. You'll be highly incentivized(forced) to complete them for game completion. :-)

/s idk

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Did they ever tell how many characters in the end?

I know we're already at 109th, but how many more exactly?

I'm afraid it'll be too much... : /

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Did they ever tell how many characters in the end?

I know we're already at 109th, but how many more exactly?

I'm afraid it'll be too much... : /

Think it'll be fine Suikoden 2 had like 115 characters in total, right? Just not everyone was recruitable in the same playtrough and some were not stars of destiny.

Besides I get the feeling there won't that many more stretch goals since they keep increase the cost of each stretch goal compared to the past few weeks.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think the reason why they are increasing the cost of the stretch goals is to line up with the expected increasing pledge amounts that usually occur during the final days of a funding campaign.

During the lull the game was getting barely more than 25K to 35K per day, and within the last two days it jumped to like 50K per day, so it seems like it's steadily starting to creep towards the the moderate to large bump that typically occurs during the final days of a KS campaign.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Stretch goals have always (I don't care what you are selling on KS) been carrots on a stick. They rarely have anything to do with the actual design/development cost (unless you're a single person company).

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Like, early on, I could have believed that the extra $250k lets them port the game to console or the extra $50k can be directly allocated to a contractor translating the game into Korean.

You shouldn't believe that either, it costs much more than that to port the game to multiple consoles and much more as well to translate it in a single language, implement the translation, review it, check if it doesn't break anything and so on.

Everything above regarding stretch goals is correct and has been since the beginning of successful KS campains with stretch goals

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017

But now there is virtually NO CHANCE that an extra $25k in funds suddenly allows them to produced voiced cutscenes they couldn't produce before. The team is either engaging in the "stretch goal creep" they so very clearly recognized was a trap for other Kickstarters, where more money doesn't suddenly just free up the time and design resources needed to carefully integrate a full-on flag designer system, racing system, monster raising system, or they clearly had plans to introduce that stuff all along and these tiny incremental goals are just a way to move the KS campaign along.

If a monster-raising minigame were really, truly a "stretch goal" only unlocked with additional funds directly allocated to its creation, it would need a heck of a lot more than $25k.

This is common in all kickstarters. Often stretch goals are just devs pitching their ideas to see reception.

Many times it would even been in the game in first place, but after you hit the target you need to have stretch goals to continue to gather continuous interest and if you just throw things that weren't planned in the first place the game easily becomes bloated

And we have to remember that often Kickstarter is used to appeal to publishers. They even said that when we hit 2 million it was a major milestone cause it facilitated a great deal. So the more successful campaign = more money from other sources. This helps the stretch goals being way smaller than their actual cost

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
whenever we start discussing stretch goals i always think back to the days of double fine adventure, which became broken age. as far as i know, it was the first big game kickstarter that started this trend and they really seemed to have a tiger by the tail. they asked for a few hundred thousand and raise a few million. i dont think anyone had ever done that before so the campaign was very improvisational. we also got a game and documentary on makign the game for like $15. now campaigns are a lot better organized with tiers that do price discrimination better and stretch goals to keep interest high. just been interesting to watch how much more professional they have gotten since those early days.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
You shouldn't believe that either, it costs much more than that to port the game to multiple consoles and much more as well to translate it in a single language, implement the translation, review it, check if it doesn't break anything and so on.

Everything above regarding stretch goals is correct and has been since the beginning of successful KS campains with stretch goals

Generally speaking, those costs (250K for console ports and 50K for localization into one language) seem pretty reasonable to me. Certainly not under-estimating the costs although the localization fee is tricky because I have no idea how many words they are translating.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Just discovered egglegs and now I would sell everything my army owns to keep one of these round boys in luxury.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
We got the DLC.

Now I wonder what the All hands on deck is as I challange you are obviously duels

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Generally speaking, those costs (250K for console ports and 50K for localization into one language) seem pretty reasonable to me. Certainly not under-estimating the costs although the localization fee is tricky because I have no idea how many words they are translating.
In suikoden 1 and 2 almost every npc says something and conversations are plenty. I would guess there will be a lot of text in the game.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
We got slammed pretty bad by currency exchange rates tonight.

Also, All Hands on Deck is "Card Battles" according to people who have been doing investigation work on the stretch goals.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
We got slammed pretty bad by currency exchange rates tonight.

Also, All Hands on Deck is "Card Battles" according to people who have been doing investigation work on the stretch goals.

Yeah when I did my last post it was at 3.26M but then it dropped by a lot as after like 9 hours later it was at 3.21M

Oct 27, 2017
118071709_10158593527641575_8030954550329954116_o.jpg

I'm horrible at just picking one. I want them all. Dead Lord and Skeleton King are both edgy enough for me to put on the main team assuming this isn't a late game recruit.

I kind of wish they'd all make it in as like rulers of their own territories fighting their own wars in the background and we just recruit whichever one we side with. Possibly the least evil or whatever.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
awesome updates, the vinyls a double lp now! also upped my pledge for the steelbook, wife has upped hers for the cloth map.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Tomorrow or Saturday I'm going to finally dip for a physical tier so I can cast my vote on C lol