• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused, has it been confirmed to be CG? I thought it looked like an in-engine cutscene.

Not confirmed but definitely in-engine. Just look at Harley Quinn. Her hair is angular and not moving to the air, her collar is polygonal, her shirt is polygonal, her ear is polygonal. I can't believe this is a CG trailer. I seriously can't believe we went from that CG trailer for Batman Arkham City to this (are they now downgrading their CG trailers too? ).

www.youtube.com

Batman Arkham City: Hugo Strange Trailer

The new Batman Arkham City trailer for the hot sequel to the first game. Watch Supervillain Hugo Strange closes the net on the Dark Knight.IGN's YouTube is j...

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
More like Rocksteady Kills The Arkhamverse.

(Has that joke been done? I'm just getting here and haven't read the past 11 pages.)

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are they going to announce more characters later or are these 4 it?

Coming off that movie trailer with a million characters in it, it's a bit jarring if they limit the game to only these four.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
yeah i'm seeing people in this thread reassure themselves this isn't a GaaS from the trailer

look at it from a business perspective, you don't invest this much money and time for a one-off. they're definitely going to be milking the cow for a good few years after release with content updates and maybe expansions.

Not just that, but having the entire gameplay experience be more grindy/games-as-a-service-y. Once you start going down that hole, gameplay is affected in a massive way. Having bespoke, scripted sequences with perfectly tailored story beats? Most likely out the window if you're looking to stretch an experience over months or years.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but [broadly gestures to all the GaaS coming out of the woodwork]

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah that's why I don't like that
+ the storytelling/production value is so downgraded compared to a full single player game (like Arkham Knight or Spider-Man)

Maybe they will avoid these problems but for now I doubt it

Yeah, one thing I don't like about games designed specifically for co-op is that a lot of the downtime gets sanded away.

Cutscenes get shorter. Mechanics get dropped because they can't be adapted to simultaneously involve all players. Environmental storytelling becomes less important because people will just be running through the place to get to the next firefight.

And that's not even counting how segmented the games get. Mechanics need to be put in place to ensure the players don't get too far apart, or don't get stuck in an area should the other player progress.

Heck, maybe I'm still just bitter about Dead Space 3 and Fear 3.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
With both this and Arkham Knights being co-op I hope to God they have cross-play.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know its a shooter when fucking King Shark is using a heavy machinegun.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I think I'm more of a Gotham Knights guy, that trailer did nothing for me at all. Being able to switch to the other characters sounds good though.

They really should've had Gotham Knights be the 4 player game and let Rocksteady do their thing and make an amazing single player game.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Don't like suicide squad.
Don't like co-op.
Don't like the comedic tone (especially considering that it shares a universe with the Arkham games).
Don't like GAAS.
Don't like that the release is so far away.

But the Arkham trilogy was so amazing (Arkham City is one of my favorite games ever), that I will probably give this game a chance anyway.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
2022, with a CG trailer as dessert.

gSGPaPt.gif

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer kinda reminds me when Insomniac announced Overstrike, which was a fun and colorful trailer, then later somehow morphed into Fuse. I trust Rocksteady with their games, so I have zero complaints. Not gonna lie though, I found the Gotham Knights reveal more appealing.

Oct 25, 2017
Really??
apart from Sony, what other big westerns publishers are using the majority of their developers to create big single player story driven games?
You already moved the goal post by adding story driven. And then added western.

Also, why does it have to be the majority. Ubi is about 50/50. Nintendo does both, tho not story driven. I guess Activision arbitrarily doesn't count doing both.

But sure, Sony and only Sony are making single player games. Weep for your genre if you insist on tuning a lot of other things.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
That was a fun trailer and the game sounds cool. Can't wait to see more.

I don't even think people know what they mean when they cry about GaaS for the millionth time. It's not a genre.

Yea. I understand the concern for GaaS games after how many big ones have fallen flat. But Rocksteady has a great pedigree. All the Arkhak games imo from them had great gameplay feel so I'm confident that part will feel great. And Sefton Hill did specify how they want this to have a great character driven story and they consider Metropolis a 5th character. So fingers crossed the gameplay we get next year is dope.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
8 years in between games? What have they been up to besides harassing their employees

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
After the Guardian article and how they responded, I was already pretty hesitant about supporting/buying this game. The trailer made that choice a lot easier. Nothing about this is really enticing for me, the co-op, the likely GAAS, the fact that apparently it was just CGI, the once again evil Superman. If I wanted another Evil Superman story I would just wait for the next injustice honestly.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Is this the year of King Shark? I'm digging it but its funny to see the character pushed so much.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Still can't get over the fact that they are seemingly using the evil Superman schtick, again. FFS, figure something else out. There are tons of villains out there.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Kind of wonder if the thought process with this was that it'd be too hard to make a video game where you play as Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, etc... but it's probably pretty easy to make a game where you are fighting them.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
2022 and only a CG trailer to go on.

There is no way this is the only thing they were working on. There has to be some sort of cancelled project that we're not aware of. Seven years between games.

Crazy.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
You say that we're not coming off a bunch of single player superhero games and that we don't still have more to come. Why would Suicide SQUAD game not be co-op?
Spider-Man, Infamous series, and ? I got four... Over the past two generations. Are we counting games like Control in this?

It can be co-op. Problem is, sounds like this is going to be all it will be. It legit is just sounding like War Z, Left 4 Dead, and Vermintide with superhero flavoring. Which is something I really didn't want.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not just that, but having the entire gameplay experience be more grindy/games-as-a-service-y. Once you start going down that hole, gameplay is affected in a massive way. Having bespoke, scripted sequences with perfectly tailored story beats? Most likely out the window if you're looking to stretch an experience over months or years.
yuuuuuuuup, said it better than i ever could.

compare something like assassin's creed black flag which came out at the start of this gen to assassin's creed odyssey. they feel like drastically different games when you take into account ubisoft's push for live service in their SP experiences to keep people coming back week after week. odyssey being a grindfest with MTX to ease said grindfest is no coincidence.

i think an interesting discussion could come out of how this model is affecting game design. feels like this is the way games are heading, at least with big AAAs.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are the aquatic animals with Polynesian esque tattoos going to be thing because of Aquaman lol

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even catch the open-world part. Sounds like The Division but DC universe. Love it.

Man. Multiplayer, online, open-world, being developed by a studio beloved for their single player games. Basically everything Era hates.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like there's been a real push lately to make Suicide Squad happen but it just isn't for me. Would have been interested in a Justice League multiplayer game but I guess that would make too much sense.