• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Fuck Fuji and everything else; these are amazing.

Anyway, what's your favorite variety? Mine's SugarBee.

Last edited:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I like Koru, honeycrisp, Pink Lady... really, I just like apples. I don't think I've seen a SugarBee!

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I normally go for either Pink Ladies or Honeycrisps. I don't think I've seen SugarBees at my store, but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
many newer types of apples are too sweet

develop more interesting apples without having as much sugar as mountain dew please

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I know everyone hates on them nowadays, but I don't care, I love red delicious.

Fuji's and gala's, they're just hipster apples.

Oct 27, 2017
SweeTango, Kanzi, pink lady, and the magic which is Airlie Red:

Grafting%20Airlie%20Red%20apples%20today!%20%F0%9F%8D%8F_Thi.webp

Oh, and my all-time favorites are Jonathans.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Fuji still the best for me, followed by Pink Lady. Have not tried sugarbee, no idea where to find them round these parts.

Oct 27, 2017
If people are curious about what Airlie Reds taste like, they reside taste-wise somewhere between strawberry lemonade and watermelon jolly ranchers. I am serious.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I just started eating apples for the first time a couple weeks ago. Very excited by this new field. So far I've tried Fuji (like them a lot), Envy (good), and Red Delicious (pretty good but maybe too sweet).

Looking forward to trying many more varieties. If I see a SugarBee, I will be sure to try it.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Honeycrisp is my fav. I just picked up some cosmic crisp though. Will see how they are.

I usually buy a different kind every trip though, for varieties sake.

Never seen these sugarbees at HEB yet.

Cheeky

Oct 30, 2017
Sweet tango are the best I've had so far. Recently bought some Jazz apples and not as good as I expected.

aw man, i've been loving jazz/scifresh over the past few months (cross between Royal Gala and Braeburn). So crisp and crunchy and extra juicy. still so even after being left in the fridge for well over 2 weeks.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Granny Apples, and because I know I'm one of two(?) people on the board that liked them.. The Grape Apples

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Im not picky with apples but whats the apple equal to those wacky cotton candy grapes? because i just found out about those and im in love and could stand to diversify my fruit holdings

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
pxl_20210212_041255466jks8.jpg

Yeah, this stuff is the bee's knees.

It is a little sweeter than Fuji but has the mild tanginess of honey crisp. Texture-wise, it's a little firmer--pretty close to the red-flesh ones, but juicier. It's not mealy at all.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
It's crazy we can get them year round now. but the amount of effort it takes is wild. the trees can't even hold themselves up.
Part of me kinda misses looking forward to the season for them. but it used to be the only time I'd buy apples.

Last edited:

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I just started eating apples for the first time a couple weeks ago. Very excited by this new field. So far I've tried Fuji (like them a lot), Envy (good), and Red Delicious (pretty good but maybe too sweet).

Looking forward to trying many more varieties. If I see a SugarBee, I will be sure to try it.
I would really like to know what changed for you to make it this far and then suddenly start to eat apples?

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Looking up how much of a pita it is to grow some of these..
Cross-pollination by a different variety is key to its growing and bearing success. Plant one of these varieties within 50' for best pollination.
farmers are fucking scientists

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
had some Pinata apples last year and became obsessed.

great balance of tart and sweet, super juicy, thin skin, and crispy with zero mushiness.
so, so good.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Went to the grocery store last night but couldn't find any sugarbee apples, unfortunately. Also looked for cosmic apples and those were nowhere to be found either.

I did get Honeycrisp, though. I'm eating my first one right now and it's really good! Might be my favorite yet, actually.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
This thread had me find something other than the Honeycrisp apples I normally get, and I picked up some Snapdragon and Sweet Tango apples, the latter of which are quite good. Had no idea there was such a variety out there.