• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...n-outlaws-female-genital-mutilation-.amp.html

CAIRO — Sudan's new government has outlawed the practice of female genital mutilation, a move hailed as a major victory by women's rights campaigners in a country where the often dangerous practice is widespread.

The United Nations estimates that nearly nine in 10 Sudanese women have been subjected to the most invasive form of the practice, which involves the partial or total removal of external female genitalia and leads to health and sexual problems that can be fatal.

Huge victory for women in these areas and for women in general!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good

You need to re-examine your life choices if you ever find yourself trying to advocate for mutilating women's genitals, or being upset that it was outlawed

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I read this earlier and was confused. What's the reason behind this? religious?cultural? Do they think of this as circumcision but for female?

Nov 23, 2017
First of all, thank goodness this is outlawed. Secondly, another "phew" on my end because I thought it had to do with trans surgeries. Good lord the thread title fucked me up lol

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I read this earlier and was confused. What's the reason behind this? religious?cultural? Do they think of this as circumcision but for female?

Tradition and also it's used as a tool to repress sexual instincts before they're married. Basically it's another way to control young girls and women.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it will be difficult to enforce in some areas, any efforts to make it less normalised and accepted is very welcome.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This is excellent news. Hopefully the ban of this practice spreads.

And personally I think ANY infantile genital intervention is inappropriate but I doubt western society will outlaw it for boys anytime soon. Routine non-essential surgery on infants is cruel IMO and should be left to adult decision-making on one's own body.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It's banned, which is great, but will it stop? Probably be a very long time before society there has a culture/morality change on it, sadly.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's banned, which is great, but will it stop? Probably be a very long time before society there has a culture/morality change on it, sadly.
Exactly what I'm thinking. It's going to take a bit before this trickles down into the community without some significant enforcement and education.

Guys, you don't need to rush into this thread and make it about circumcision instead.
I rushed into this thread to see how many comments there were deflecting it toward that.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

It's usually a combination of religious and cultural. Not all Muslim denominations support FGM, and I'm not aware of any Christian denominations that support it but you'll see some claim they do it for religious reasons.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a defense force for that, but then again this is the internet.
If there wasn't this thread wouldn't be a big deal. This is one of those "We shouldn't have to tell you not to do that" things that people are surprised were legal for as long as they were