• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to feel weird playing the game in Kurosawa mode with English on, but that's looking like a better option if I can't really read the text. Honest question, how difficult would patching accessibility options be?

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I have subtitles on in every game, and those don't look that bad. I'll see how it looks when I actually get the game.

I'm playing Rise of the TR at the moment, and the subtitles are OK but the text on the Card descriptions is ridiculously small.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand black bars with subtitles. It's like trying to have your cake an eat it too with games-as-cinema.

Well, film is time deterministic. Subtitlers know exactly when the dialogue is going to appear. You can't guarantee that in a game, so it's more challenging to time subtitles correctly.

Any cinematic is timed and dialogue has triggers either by the player button press or other internal logic. They have just as much control. If lines skip in audio the subtitles should react the same way. Overlapping dialogue and other user induced headaches would be up to their discretion just as the sound team chooses how to handle those issues.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Video game subtitlers are the same assholes who put paragraphs of text on PowerPoint slides.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, film is time deterministic. Subtitlers know exactly when the dialogue is going to appear. You can't guarantee that in a game, so it's more challenging to time subtitles correctly.
I'm mostly complaining about it during cutscenes, where it seems it should be possible to get the timing right. I don't know the tech behind subs in video games, so it may be impossible, but it's still pretty aggravating. Those Witcher 3 screenshots are especially problematic. I think I only appreciate that much text when I'm playing through a game quickly and am able to skip dialogue piece-meal, rather than skipping the entire cutscene. That way I'm able to skip a big chunk if I'm able to read it fast enough.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There really needs to be a standard imposed on the industry (something along he lines of LoU2 would be good). If you fail to implement subtitles adhering to the standard then the console manufacturers and major PC storefronts should refuse to sell your game.

Oct 27, 2017
the argument is that your eyes don't need to look as far away from the action if subtitles are higher. there's nothing ridiculous about it, hopefully the height can be adjusted based on the player's preference.

though lack of lip synching in Japanese pretty much killed my interest in playing that way in the first place.

I explained in my OP why this isn't actually true at all. The smaller the subtitles, and the farther they're moved to the bottom of the screen, the harder it is to keep track of the action on screen while reading the subtitles. And deciding to always have them in the "black bars" means they will have to be made small. There are reasons why there's a standard/guideline in film.

Spoken like someone that never watches subtitled content. Seems we have several of those in this thread.

No, buddy. Nitpicking would be complaining that the game has scrolling subtitles.

QIX4O2R.gif

Which looks like shit to me, but whatever.
I've been watching subbed content for probably 2 decades at this point...Although I'm starting to think we're arguing about different things now. Is your argument against the position (low on the screen over the black bars) or is it that having a black background over white sub font is hard for readability? Because I've been assuming the latter (and disagree), but if it's the former I can agree with that

Apr 19, 2018
Last edited:
May 17, 2018
This thread is making me feel like I'm crazy.

I get the issue with the size, and, that definitely blows, but, I genuinely don't understand how it's harder to read them over black bars. I haven't read every page in here, but, is it an accessibility issue or stylistic preference?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I get the issue with the size, and, that definitely blows, but, I genuinely don't understand how it's harder to read them over black bars. I haven't read every page in here, but, is it an accessibility issue or stylistic preference?
The argument isn't the black background itself, it's having the subtitles shoved to the bottom of the screen, making it unnecessarily difficult to both read them and pay attention to the action happening on screen.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
well thats a shame, I guess they don't want the subtitles overlaying their pretty game. They should give us the option though..

edit: ok nvm, I see the screenshot above, nice. If we could make the font size bigger then it'll be perfect

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sucker Punch also claims they're fans of Kurosawa, and yet the game looks like it's filled with fighting and cookie-cutter quests.

Kurosawa movies aren't exactly FILLED with fights...
i mean the game's "Kurosawa filter" is a horrible grayscale mode that doesn't actually capture the beauty of black and white cinema at all
That's a shame to hear. I was fearing they might have gone the "cool samurai fantasy" route when taking inspiration which is a shallow reading of Kurosawa.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm mostly complaining about it during cutscenes, where it seems it should be possible to get the timing right. I don't know the tech behind subs in video games, so it may be impossible, but it's still pretty aggravating. Those Witcher 3 screenshots are especially problematic. I think I only appreciate that much text when I'm playing through a game quickly and am able to skip dialogue piece-meal, rather than skipping the entire cutscene. That way I'm able to skip a big chunk if I'm able to read it fast enough.
That's totally fair. I guess we were talking about both in-gameplay subs and in-cutscene ones an I just wanted to clarify. I think we can all agree game subs can be way better tho lol.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching subbed content for probably 2 decades at this point...Although I'm starting to think we're arguing about different things now. Is your argument against the position (low on the screen over the black bars) or is it that having a black background over white sub font is hard for readability? Because I've been assuming the latter (and disagree), but if it's the former I can agree with that

former

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's just the position.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Placing subtitles on black bars guarantees the contrast is the max value possible for the visually impaired.

out of interest, is the Japanese main menu still mistranslated?

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
I explained in my OP why this isn't actually true at all. The smaller the subtitles, and the farther they're moved to the bottom of the screen, the harder it is to keep track of the action on screen while reading the subtitles. And deciding to always have them in the "black bars" means they will have to be made small. There are reasons why there's a standard/guideline in film.

Spoken like someone that never watches subtitled content. Seems we have several of those in this thread.

No, buddy. Nitpicking would be complaining that the game has scrolling subtitles.

QIX4O2R.gif

Which looks like shit to me, but whatever.
lol, this is really hard to read.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
TLOU2 hits it out of the park with subtitles and every developer should just copy them tbh.

Resize, color and background should ALL be customizable, period.

Enough with ants subs.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely the reason subs aren't usually on the black bars is because those black bars aren't always there, depending on your screen. Whereas the game always has bars, and text is easier to read against a blank background.

I mean they're definitely small but the move down to the black bar seems sensible to me.
The size I get, but this is PURE nitpicking and is actually ridiculous. They put it against black because high contrasts on white subs make them easier to read, not harder. There's no argument for being over the image being better for readability than over a black background

OP is right. I work in subtitling and regardless of aspect ratio, black bars or not, there's a specific safe area and those subs in the OP as well as any subs that low are outside of that safe area. Subtiles should not go over black bars but at the bottom or top of the image to limit travel distance for your eyes. Same reason why they can't extend all the way to the sides.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
OP is right. I work in subtitling and regardless of aspect ratio, black bars or not, there's a specific safe area and those subs in the OP as well as any subs that low are outside of that safe area. Subtiles should not go over black bars but at the bottom or top of the image to limit the travel distance for your eyes.
They don't want subtitles to intrude and ruin teh cinematic presentation. Honestly, devs need to get their priorities in order.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I am one of those gamers who sits in front of the TV due to their layout of their bedroom. I also sometimes notice I scoot closer than I should when I get into the game. I wear glasses and font like this can be hit or miss even WITH glasses!

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good to me.
People are buying incresingly larger TVs every year, and the resolution of those TVs are getting increasingly higher wich in turn allows people to sit closer to the screen. It is good that developers adapt UI and subtitles to match that trend.
The best option would obviously be if there was adjustable UI and subs. That would make everyone happy.

Placing the subs on the black bar is favourable imho, as it makes it easier to read and does not obscure the picture.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TLOUII had such great subtitle options. I was actually surprised how much more I enjoyed my perfectly formatted subtitles throughout. So I definitely think it's a worthy gripe.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They do it in the black bars because there's probably situations where it's not legible in a game (the background matches the color of the text). That will never happen in a film if the directors intends it.

No idea why there's not an option filter to change the font-size though, should be one of the easiest things possible to change.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Boy, you can tell there's a lot of posters who don't watch much foreign films or at least films with subtitles lol.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I agree, but I've seen worse. Waaay worse.

As a brazilian gamer, I've played with subtitles (and watched subtitled movies) for my entire life

God of War was ass, in particular, because it was so colorful, bright and fast paced, while the subtitles were tiny and white

The Witcher 3 was also bad, but at least it had a slower pace and the more "verbosy" parts were during static conversations, so not that bad

My main issue is white subtitles

PLEASE developers, put in the option to make them yellow. Can't see shit in white scenes.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
it's not like this is a Sucker Punch problem....there are several products released without proper subtitles / font size options.
For example, I like to set yellow font for the subtitles, so it doesn't get lost in the screen

I agree, but I've seen worse. Waaay worse.

As a brazilian gamer, I've played with subtitles (and watched subtitled movies) for my entire life

God of War was ass, in particular, because it was so colorful, bright and fast paced, while the subtitles were tiny and white

The Witcher 3 was also bad, but at least it had a slower pace and the more "verbosy" parts were during static conversations, so not that bad

My main issue is white subtitles

PLEASE developers, put in the option to make them yellow. Can't see shit in white scenes.
Had not seen your message before. Yeah, basically that. And am also a Brazilian. Maybe this yellow subtitles thing has something to do with it.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

well, for me specifically, subtitles in black bars screws up with HDR since it causes zones to light up and looks nasty.

Oct 27, 2017
Tiny ass text is one of my worst pet peeves. Pisses me off when this happens. One of the worst offenders this gen was outer worlds. I was so excited to play that game and shelved it within minutes because the text was tiny as fuck. Took them months to properly address this.

Death Stranding had the same issue. Really tired of this shit.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, you can tell there's a lot of posters who don't watch much foreign films or at least films with subtitles lol.
Just a case of this being a US centered forum and most media being produced in the US.
Asking people from the US about how subtitles should be handled is probably not the best, as they are not very familiar with them.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Small font sizes is the bane of my existence when it comes to modern games. I have a 50" 4K set, and it's mind boggling that many games are impossible to read with a screen that size. I sit a good 6-9 feet away from my screen, and I hate that I have to use the PS4's zoom in function to read the text in certain games. Death Stranding has been painful to play due to its tiny as fuck text. It should be a requirement to have text size adjustment options in every game.

With that said, the screenshot you posted doesn't seem egregiously small, and I'm looking at it on my laptop monitor. Hopefully they patch in an option to increase the subtitle size.

Also, it's perfectly fine for people to express their opinion if the size doesn't bother them, just like you're fine to express your opinion that the size does bother you.